self

invidia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter




 

It was almost two am in the morning when you and Baekhyun left the cafeteria. It was a beautiful night where the sky was a dark blue illuminated by the millions of tiny glittering sparkles scattered across the immensity. The moon was full and proudly offering its silver beauty. Your backpack hung casually by the hold of your hand as you walked with slow steps to enjoy the incredibly crisp air chilling your breaths. It was cold but at this point, you were just happy you were done with every single assignment and essay you had come to this trip with. It was crazy how productive you had been with Baekhyun by your side. He had insisted to help you with anything you had left to do after being done with the essay, and now you were freer than ever. 

 

Your breath disappeared in your lungs when suddenly there was an ice-cold, wet sensation lingering on your back as you got hit by something you could only have guessed was snow. Just a second later you were hit again. 

 

“What the hell-” You were about to raise your voice when your eyes caught Baekhyun forming another snowball with his bare hands. Somehow you had almost forgotten he had been present. The man had a mischievous smile on his face while his cheeks and nose were ever so flushed by a cold pink as he threw another ball at you, accidentally getting you in the middle of your face. You heard the massive gasp he let out, you could also imagine how he covered his mouth guiltily when contemplating his mistake. The cold snow on your face stung, burned against your skin even, but somehow you didn’t feel angry at him for that, moreover challenged.

 

Wiping it off, you sent him a murderous glare, one you didn’t mean at all. You could see how he was trying not to laugh with all of his might yet his smile was despite his tries to suppress it, so bright and happy that you felt yourself wanting him to continue looking at you like that.

 

“You are SO dead Byun Baekhyun!” You warned while scooping up a massive amount of snow in your hands and throwing it once shaped into a ball. It hit him on the arm as he had been attempting to flee the scene, but eventually threw his head back in laughter when you got him. His sweet voice echoed in the starry night and your heart blossomed against your will.

 

Only someone like him could manage to make someone like you bloom during the coldness of the winter.

 

“What was that for!?” You shouted at him in the distance when all he did was hold a snowball while approaching you slowly, a knowing, dangerous smile still curving his lips. Carefully, you put your backpack down somewhere farther away and scooped up another portion of snow. 

 

Both of you threw the snow at the same time, his ball hitting you right on the head, and yours somewhere on his torso. Your heart fluttered like a butterfly every time the man would let out one of his angelic laughs. His hair was damp and covered with chunks of snow, but so was yours.

 

Baekhyun’s chest was heaving heavily up and down as he took in your drenched state, your heart betrayed you for the hundredth time that day, just because of how his gaze had dropped the slightest lower. A genuine grin played on his lips, he truly looked like he was having the time of his life...Had you made him smile like that? Was he so happy because of you? Teeth drilled in your lip as you tried to suppress a certain expression from taking over your features.

“So? Why did you even start this?” You asked breathily, not really knowing what kind of answer you were expecting anyway. Baekhyun only shook his head dismissively.

 

“What do you mean why? You looked so tense, some fun doesn’t hurt anyone, no?” He explained while making his way in front of you. You noted how there was never a moment where his skin wouldn’t glow underneath any kind of light, and tonight it was the pretty, glittering moonlight highlighting his soft droopy eyes and flushed cheeks. 

 

“Plus…” Baekhyun trailed off slowly, his voice suddenly husky, almost as if in a trance when his eyes painted across the outlines of your face. you up into his dark orbs and making you fall into the same magic spell that he had fallen under as you were trapped in the flowery field that was his presence.

 

“Look at your face smiling at me like that...Who wouldn’t love that?” He murmured with disbelief although his expression showed nothing but warm affection. And you were too immersed in the moment to even notice how he had brought his hand up until he gently twirled a few strands of your hair around his finger. “How are you so beautiful?” He breathed out, tilting his head and gently placing your hair behind your ear. Completely struck with an emotion that swirled like gold in his eyes, an emotion that painted his cheeks with warmth. One you reciprocated but was scared to name.

 

With a few words pronounced by his mellow voice and tender lips, a part of your heart had gone missing.



 



 

“Sis!” You heard a familiar timber call you for the umpteenth time, at this point, her stubborn voice was worse than an iPhone’s high pitched alarm as she hastily shook your body to wake you up. However, you felt all too drowsy to open your eyes just yet. Unnaturally, shivering cold while your body produced warm perspiration. The contrast felt all too uncomfortable, if Sayu called you another time your head might burst.

 

“Sis” She screeched, “We are gonna be late to the morning meeting!!” Sayu insisted desperately, not wanting to leave without her dear sister. You groaned hoarsely, the dryness hurting your throat in the process.

 

“Sayu…” You whined, “I don’t feel well,” was all you managed to say before the world went spinning as soon as you tried to sit up, and suddenly you weren’t cold anymore but extremely warm, your skin sticky with sweat and you started to panic, wanting to take everything off.

 

“You are sick?” Sayu asked worriedly and hurriedly jumped off the bed. “Don’t worry sis, I’ll be back soon!” She said while wearing her little shoes and the puffy winter jacket of hers. “Don’t do anything, kay? I’ll be back soon,” She repeated, just because she didn’t really trust your sick self. With a huff you threw yourself back onto the bed, only to be frustrated because nothing seemed comfortable enough. The blanket would feel too warm while none at all made you freeze. To put a cherry on the top, your head felt dizzy and it made you unable to go far even if you wanted to.

 

It took Sayu just a few minutes to be back, but to your surprise, she wasn’t alone.

 

“Sayu?” You rasped out with much difficulty, “Did you bring someone?” The question answered itself when a certain man entered your view and out of pure instinct, you clumsily hid underneath the blanket, regretting it when you felt a frustrating warmth cloud in front of your face. You heard Baekhyun chuckle amusedly at your weird antics while Sayu’s worry only increased

 

“Oh no” She cried, ”she must be feeling really sick…” She pouted sadly, “Mr. Byun you will help her, won’t you?” Although the two of you fought a lot, it was a sign of your love and care toward each other. It didn’t surprise you that Sayu was acting like that, but it truly warmed your heart to hear her ask for someone to take care of you because she couldn’t do that with her tiny self. But you knew she would have wanted to cure you all on her own.

 

Baekhyun crouched down to Sayu’s level, scrunching his nose slightly, and then softly smiled at the worried child. ”Don’t worry, princess,” He murmured and gently caressed her hair. ”I will make sure your sister will be the healthiest she’s ever been by tomorrow.” The statement was enough to wash any worry away from her face, her lips curled into a big smile as she gave him a quick hug of gratitude.

 

”Why don’t you join the others? Don’t worry, I’ll stay here with your sister.” Sayu nodded fervently at the suggestion, no matter how worried she was about you, she also wanted to savor every moment of her first school trip. She wouldn’t have agreed so easily with just anyone though, it was the fact that she had a lot of trust in Mr. Byun that made it easy for her to lay back.

 

As soon as the little Sayu had closed the door behind her Baekhyun spun on the balls of his feet, stopping in your direction. You couldn’t see him underneath the covers but you had a feeling he was coming closer. His footsteps were silent and almost inaudible compared to Sayu’s big and loud stomps. 

 

“Knock, knock?” Baekhyun chimed playfully while knocking with his hand on your head that was peeking from the blanket. You could only bring yourself to let out a displeased groan while bringing the blanket down underneath your nose, sending Baekhyun an unwelcoming glare. Although you were sending lasers at him through your eyes, the man remained unfazed as his pearly white teeth peeked out in his honey-sweet smile. He was like an excited puppy swinging his tail.  

 

“What are you doing here…” You slurred with your view blurring due to your light

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter