Chapter 14

Score!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another day, another win in the books! This week, we played our sixth game of the season on a Thursday, rather than the usual weekend. This is quite regular - for a few or so games in the season, we'll play arbritrary days and dates. I'm not completely sure why, but I'm just glad we got it over with earlier in the week; it definitely has saved me lots of worry and heartburn.

 

We huddle back into the locker room, patting each other on the butts, but in my case, solid poundings on my back. I take eye of Jimin, who made an impactful play of the game by gliding the ball through the opposing team's legs, picking it up swiftly, and twirling around the incoming player to convert into a score. It was magical seeing it unfold; the progression I've seen through all my teammates have all been magical.

 

I steal Jimin for a second from someone and hug him tightly.

 

"I'm so proud of you! That was amazing!" I squeal as I encase him completely with my sticky, sweaty arms. I'm sure he doesn't mind either, considering he's even more drenched than me. 100%, that play will get you some award at the banquet this Saturday. I don't know what is could possibly be, but there has to be one - even if they have to make it up. 'Best Finesse' or 'Coolest ing Thing You've Ever Seen On the Field'. Right?!"

 

"Right," Jimin repeats. "Speaking of, I'm really rooting for you for the MVP Award. Jungkook has been the incumbent, but him missing that game made him ineligible, and either way, I'm sure he'll win another. You've been a huge standout, Yerin. We all really want you to win."

 

"Tell me something I don't know," I say jokingly. At this point, I have heard enough compliments to last my lifetime, and I say that with the least bit of narcissm I can. It's easier to joke and reply back with sarcasm, as opposed to continously saying 'thank you, you too! and not meaning it with any fiber in my body.

 

"You invite your plus one yet? I'm thinking of inviting Jennie, the cheerleader. Caught sight of her after I made the goal - she totally digs me."

 

"Ah, is that so? Why don't you tell that to Taemin, her 6'2, 230 pound boyfriend on the wrestling team?" I say snarkily. Taemin could literally eat Jimin whole if he wanted to.

 

"Holy , no thanks - I value my life more. Ah, damn it. I'll figure it out eventually. So have you?"

 

"Uh...," I am about to answer the question but remember perhaps Jimin is not the best person to spill the beans to about my inviting Taeyong. I haven't yet brought up the fact that I caught them all in the fact at my date with Taeyong; I'm not breaking just yet. I'll pry it out of them... have them steadily ask about how the date went first, and I'll seek enjoyment in seeing their panic gradually grow.

 

"Yerin.. don't... don't you tell me that..," Jimin starts to talk, baffled. "Don't tell me you invited the Pilhyun guy?! Yerin, what the !"

 

"Hey! Lower it down!" I cup Jimin's mouth to bring down his volume. Jungkook and Hoseok have turned their attention to the tantrum unfolding in front of me, so they see themselves over to us.

 

"What is the matter? I can invite who I want! I still have no idea why you're so caught up in your dislike for him, for no reason!" I yelp.

 

"What's going on here?" Jungkook says once him and Hoseok arrive at our spot.

 

"Get this, Hoseok," Jimin breathes out. "Yerin is inviting that Taeyong guy to the banquet this weekend!"

 

"Really?" Hoseok asks back, eyes widened in interest. "You're seeing him again?"

 

"Yeah, I invited him this weekend. I liked our first date," I say out loud, taking quick looks over to Jungkook for his reaction. Jungkook has kept up being engaged, but the look on his face is pretty indifferent. Come on, man; even a tinge of jealousy, please?! If I am about to toy with Jimin and Hoseok to trick them in admitting they were eavesdropping on my date, I might as well do my best to make Jungkook feel anything towards me.

 

"So like, what did you guys do?" Jimin asks, but I see right through it.

 

"Yeah, so we actually went to... watch a movie. The theatres were way too expensive for my liking, guess I was too spoiled from the free tickets with you, Jungkook, so we went back to his place. His parents were out for the night, too, so we had a great time together."

 

"WHAT?" Hoseok and Jimin both say concurrently. What's the matter, boys - why the fear in your voices?

 

"Are you serious, Yerin?" Hoseok asks. He exchanges looks with Jimin, and I see them both slowly growing a smirk on their faces as if they've caught me in a lie.

 

"Yep. We just watched a movie. That's all it." I supply. "Any further questions?"

 

"Uhm," Hoseok and Jimin look at each other again. "You didn't do anything before... or after? Like go anywhere else?"

 

"Not at all," I reaffirm once more. It is then that Hoseok gestures Taehyung and Namjoon, their other accomplices, to come over. It's cute, they think they're going to have this grand 'busted!' moment. Aw, poor babies. When they arrive, Jimin does the speaking for his whole group of spies.. and then there's Jungkook, who probably doesn't have a thought in his head right now.

 

"What are you hiding, Yerin? Last chance to tell us," Hoseok says adamently.

 

"I have no idea what you're talking about, guys. You're acting really weird. All we did was go back to his place and watch a movie," I say once more when the other two get here. Taehyung and Namjoon both meet me with funny looks.

 

A few silent seconds go by and then BAM! Jimin slams his hand on the nearest locker room, grabbing the attention of everyone around - and unfortunately, that includes Coach Soo that was on the other side of the metal wall.

 

"You liar! You're hiding something!" Jimin exclaims. "If you said you guys didn't do anything else that night, then why -"

 

"Why did I see the four of you disguised pathetically, eavesdropping on my date with Taeyong?" I finish his sentence for him, and end it with a satsifying smirk. "I saw all four of you, dressed in all black and wearing ridiculous sunglasses. Newsflash, it was dark as outside. Way to blend in."

 

All shades of color of their four faces vanish away; just pure whiteness blankets over, and Jimin has his bottom lip hung open with no words exiting. I swear a droplet of drool is about to fall from Taehyung's lips, so I do them the favor of filling in the silence.

 

"You have anything to say for yourselves?"

 

"Uh, uh.. uh!" Jimin panics, looking left and right to see if his fellow teammates are going to help step in, but it doesn't seem like anyone has any intention to.

 

"You guys stalked Yerin on her date? Do you all know how much of a violation that is?" Coach Soo chimes in, a voice as deafening as thunder. "Why on earth would you all do that?"

 

"We.. we were just.. seeing, uh, if," Namjoon starts to talk, but Jimin takes his hand out in front of him to signal him to pause.

 

"It was my idea. I just wanted to see how it was going... I don't necessarily like the guy, so I just wanted to make sure that Yerin was safe."

 

"Thank you," I say, having already known that. Hearing it affirmed out loud though is a different type of satisfaction. "It's fine, Coach Soo. I'm letting them off the hook this time."

 

Coach Soo gives an unimpressed look before waving his hand in defeat, and then leaving us be in the locker rooms ourselves.

 

"So where did you guys go? We saw you once second and then the other, you were nowhere to be found. We were worried sick!" Namjoon answers.

 

"I spotted you guys, so the second you all were distracted, Taeyong and I hid behind a bush and watched you guys become confused little ducks. I did see the squirrel though, Taeyong. That was huge."

 

"I told you guys! HA! Thanks, Yerin," Taehyung dons a smile towards me.

 

"She shouldn't count," Jimin chimes in. "She was like yards away from us, she probably just saw wrong."

 

"Hey! I saw it very well, thank you very much. Spotted you guys good enough, anyways," I joke, and I'm able to crack a few laughs from them.

 

"I'm sorry," Jungkook brings himself forward. "I'm still hung on the fact that you guys spied on Yerin's date. That's just uncalled for; do you guys know how wrong that is?"

 

"Chill out, dude. Yerin said herself was okay. Why do you have your all in a twist?" Jimin rebuttals.

 

"You might have gone away with it from Yerin, but you all need to know that it still wasn't right. It's an invasion of privacy. I can't believe I have to spell that out for you guys," Jungkook continues.

 

"Hey," I pull out my hand to stop Jungkook from stepping any closer to Jimin. "It's all good. They didn't mean any harm, Jimin said himself they just wanted to check up on me. I'm fine with it, no worries."

 

Jungkook takes a quick look down at my hand, before tilting his chin back up to meet with the rest of the guys. "Whatever. Just don't do it again."

 

"Oh, come on. You know you'd be right there with us too if you could've made it. Don't talk yourself as such a savior, Jungkook, when we all know you'd be there, too."

 

"Excuse me? You don't know about what I would or would not do," Jungkook steps up once more. Sensing the pressure rising between the two, I take a physical step in between the two and hold my head up to talk to Jungkook. My hands unconsciously find themselves hooking onto Jungkook's arms, in an effort to calm him down.

 

"Jungkook, hey." I say from below his regular eyesight. "We're good. Nothing is an issue anymore; I don't mind, so neither should you."

 

Jungkook looks down at me, takes a deep sigh out, and then nods his head.

 

"Stop poking at this any further. We're done with this," I say once I twirl around to Jimin. He recedes immediately and nods in understanding.

 

"To think all of this came out from me asking who your date was to the banquet," Jimin breathes out.

 

"Right," I laugh, once I've realized the tension has soothed.

 

"Oh, you're bringing someone, Yerin? Who?" Jungkook says from behind me.

 

"Uhh," I'm not sure how it wasn't obvious from the last conversation. "I invited Taeyong."

 

"Wait, what? You can't do that." Jungkook looks more concerned now. I hear Namjoon stifle a laugh from the sudden change of heart.

 

"Why can't I?"

 

"Because... uh. Because he doesn't go to this school. You need to invite someone that goes here."

 

Seeing a slight hesitation from Jungkook sparks my curiosity. Maybe he's asking because there's a certain someone in this school that hasn't been asked yet. Or maybe he's just a hardass that wants to stick to whatever this rule is.

 

"That doesn't matter at all," I laugh out. "That was literally never said. If that's the case, why is Minjoon on the swim team inviting three random girls he met at the nightclub?"

 

"You could've just invited another student athlete, is all I'm saying. It makes it easier for everyone," Jungkook answers. "Also, that is highl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter