Chapter 8

Score!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When it's time for the next practice, I'm ready as I can be. The first thing I'll do when I see Hoseok is ask about that group chat. After all, he is the new captain. And just like Jungkook said, a captain wears many hats - therapist included. I'm a part of this team, too, and I deserve to be heard. And there's something within this team that's not making me feel comfortable, so I have every right to go up to Hoseok and share how I feel.

 

Gosh, I really hope this doesn't come off as being a big snitch. I quickly shrug it off - no, it's not! I have every reason to feel the way that I do, and I'm justified in the fact of wanting to tell someone about my feelings.

 

"Hoseok!" I shout once my eyes have noticed the male a few feet ahead. His head jolts up from his conversation with a midfielder, acknowledges me, and then politely excuses himself.

 

"Hey Yerin, what's up?"

 

I eye that there are a few stragglers around us, so I point to a corner if we can speak there. Unfortunately, Taehyung and his nosy self catches eye of it, and he shouts to get my attention.

 

"Hey, no secrets here!" Taehyung exclaims, and it brings everyone's gaze to me and the newly-crowned captain in front of me.

 

Hoseok rolls his eyes. "We can talk in Coach Soo's office, if that makes you more comfortable."

 

"Nah, nah. Why is just a you-and-Yerin type thing? Last time, a member of team went to Coach Soo's office alone, he got suspended from the team! No more breaking off. The team deserves to know!" Taehyung affirms, and he's met with a wave of 'yeah!'s in approval.

 

"He has a point," Hoseok whispers to me, and I put my hand on my hips. It took every fiber in my body to even think about going up to Hoseok himself to tell him what's on my mind, but now, it has to be in front of everyone on the damn team. My eyes float to Jin, who meets me the widest, most concerned eyes. Don't worry, pretty boy. I'm not telling on you.

 

"Fine," I say out loud, and I feel the boys leaning in forward, in anticipation of whatever I have to say.

 

"So," I start. "I heard that there's a few group chats around that purposely left me out? I know you guys make plans and hang out, and I'm not forcing you guys to be friends with me, but why leave me out? I'm a part of this team too."

 

And just like that, the locker room turns to a tense silence. Perhaps the most silent I've ever heard these four corners be. Usually, it's at a rambunctious volume, even after a loss. These boys surely know how to get a noise complaint - all until now. Huddled around me and Hoseok are these usually fearless, loud boys, but now, not a single one wants to meet me in the eye. They're all either infautated by Hoseok, as they're just focusing on only him, or they're glaring down at their shoes as if they're being inside quicksand.

 

"No one? No one thinks I deserve an explanation?" I say again.

 

"Yerin, please understand me when I say that it was definitely not done on purpose. Everyone knows how much of an asset you are to this team, both on and off the field. You're our friend just as you are our teammate," Hoseok starts.

 

"Yeah!" Jimin says from the side. "These group chats were made way before you joined, and I guess they just stayed like that. We're sorry we didn't add you to them, I think it just went over all our heads."

 

I purse my lips. This, at least, is the best case scenerio I could've asked for.

 

"It didn't cross anyone's minds to invite the newest member of the team?" I reiterate.

 

I'm met with a wave of furious head nods, and then Jimin says, "I think I speak for everyone that we're just all dumb s and didn't think about it. We're sorry, and moving forward, I'll make sure that everyone becomes a bit more considerate and thoughtful."

 

"Alright... I just hope you guys know we're I'm coming from. You all knew how on edge I was joining this team, and so when I found about this, it felt like I wasn't being fully welcomed."

 

"I get it. And I apologize again for making you feel that way. It was never, ever our intention to do that. We'll make it up to you, I promise."

 

Jimin talks effortlessly, and says things just like how I want to hear them. I have to internally fight the cynic in me to actually believe that Jimin is telling the truth, and that it was all just an honest mistake. So much for harboring all the courage in me to finally still in this one conversation, but in reality, it wasn't that big of a deal.

 

"Right. And plus, these group chats are so stupid, if that makes it any better at how meaningless they all are. We have one dedicated to say what pattern boxers we're wearing each day. Another one is one pasting Taehyung's face to a bunch of memes."

 

"And they kicked me out of that one, too!" Taehyung says quietly, and I chuckle.

 

"Alright guys. If that's all there's to it, like you guys say it is, then I trust you. I appreciate you telling me the truth."

 

"Course. Don't hesitate at all to come to us when something's on your mind. While we're at, do you want to share anything else? Does anyone at all have something they want to tell us, as a team? Remember, guys. We need to communicate, air out any dirty lanudry for all of us to progress forward," Hoseok affirms, and then we start looking to our left and right to see if anyone wants to speak. I meet eyes with Jin again, and he shoots his gaze right to the floor. My heart wrenches as I have to physically swallow Jin's secret, all while hearing the team preach about communication and being open. Each time I see Jin, I'm reminded of his deceit and how I, myself, signed myself in as a conspirator in his lie.

 

A few moments pass with no one saying anything before Hoseok talks again. "Alright then. If you guys come up with anything, don't be a stranger. In this time without Jungkook, we need to keep staying on one page. We need to come together."

 

"I agree," Jin says from somewhere around. "And I'll help in this new chapter of our team by...," his voice trails off, and he juggles around his shorts's pockets to get his phone off. "Deleting the chat."

 

The boys erupt in applause as Jin does ths whole heroic act: taking out his phone oh-so slowly, opening up the group chat, and pressing the 'delete' button as if it's the big red button that sets off all nuclear bombs in the world. In actuality, it was not that dramatic at all. But that's what it seemed to me, at least.

 

"Yeah! Go Jin!" Jimin grabs Jin's left shoulder and pats it aggresively. "Hey guys, as we celebrate this new chapter in our team, what about a party to commemorate?!"

 

" YEAH!" Taehyung jumps up and down. "I'm always down for a good party!"

 

"And Jin will host!" Jimin adds.

 

"I will?" Jin raises a brow.

 

"Bro, you have the biggest place out of all of us. Would you rather Hoseok offer his place and his little brother begging us every 5 seconds to pass him a beer?"

 

"I guess I'm hosting then!" Jin is quick to say. "This weekend, 10 PM. BYOB, and Taehyung - you bet your that I'm only letting you enter if you bring a case of beer. No more mooching, it's getting old."

 

"Hey, you guys never said anything before!" Taehyung defends himself and rolls his eyes. "I thought my presence was enough, but I guess not."

 

"We don't even want you there," someone further from the crowd jokes, and Taehyung shrugs, used to the sarcasm he faces from his teammates. At some point, you have to question when they're actually telling the truth versus being sarcastic; for now, I trust that it's just them playing around. Taehyung's not terribly annoying prick who's company makes you want to rip your ears out - not yet, at least.

 

"Alright - party at Jin's Saturday! Thanks Jin, even though you didn't initiate the plan and didn't originally offer your place. We appreciate your sacrifice," Hoseok chuckles. "In the meantime, first names A through M, skins. The rest of you guys are shirts. Youngest two on the team go set up the drills - let's get going, boys!"

 

I clear my throat.

 

"And girl! Sorry, Yerin!" Hoseok turns to me as he jogs out. I smirk and follow behind the crowd making their way to the field. I fortunately am able to keep my shirt on, so I join my group to do the ladder drill. With the whole group chat issue alleviated off my shoulders,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter