Chapter 13

Score!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm able to chase down Taeyong's number through an extensive and convoluted process - long story short, I could not find his Instagram for , so I have to click on five other players from Pilhyun to find a team photo that he's tagged in, direct message them, and then he finally gives me Taeyong's number.

 

taeyong (pilhyun wingback)

Bravo on finding me :)

 

Yerin

it took forever! jesus why do guys never have Instagrams. don't you all want to be up to date with current events.. like sports or which kpop group is cancelled now?!

 

taeyong (pilhyun wingback)

Or we could read the news for that. I wouldn't want to be in the loop for that - someone new gets cancelled everyday. I couldn't keep up :)

So, did you find my number to tell me you can do mini golf this Tuesday, or to tell me sorry that I'm a nice guy but you're just not available?

 

Yerin

oh wow just like that, huh?

ok.. well. you're in luck! I can actually do this Tuesday. we can meet there.

 

taeyong (pilhyun wingback)

Sounds good. See you then!

 

It's unsettling, but still nice nonetheless, on how direct Taeyong is. I want to text Taeyong, right then and here, to say: Can you give Jungkook some tips too?!

 

My mind trails off into my unhealthy crush to Jungkook. If he could only know that I'm literally signing myself up on this date that I have 0 zero interest in, to save both our asses. I've been jumping through hoops for this guy since the first day I've met him, but I'd like to think it's worth it.

 

taeyong (pilhyun wingback)

Then we should get dinner afterwards. My treat.

 

Oh yes, this is definitely worth it - always sign me up for free meal!

 

 

It doesn't dawn on me until five minutes before I'm about to meet Taeyong that... this is literally my first ever real date. Though I partly want to consider the movie with Jungkook as one, that was definitely one-sided. This time around, I was asked out with a boy, going to spend a whole night with him, and have a dinner on his dime. I won't complain - that would be so messed up - but I just wish Jungkook had just an ounce of forwardness that Taeyong has.

 

Taeyong is a nice guy so far, but he's not the one that gives me butterflies. Jungkook is, and I've willingly signed up to pursue just him - no matter how long it'll take that oblivious boy to notice me.

 

Taeyong greets me at the entrance of the mini golf course; on a school day, it sure is packed with other high schoolers having a wild night out. I see so many different pockets of people, all having a great time: there are couples, friends, even families. The course is decorated with dazzling, neon lights that border the patches of green and even on the sculptures scattered around - the windmills, the little barns, everything.

 

It's so cute, which coincidentally is what I've been hearing whispered around us - directing it to Taeyong.

 

We're at this one course on an incline of a hill, and I'm just about one away from a birdie - but then my attention gets pulled away to some boisterous group of girls below.

 

"Oh my god, guys. Look at him, he looks like an animation!"

 

"He's here with another girl, bozo. And hey! What the heck, you already have a boyfriend!"

 

"Oh, yeah. I forgot about him. But he is so hot!"

 

I side-eye Taeyong, who I know is also following in on this conversation. I watch as the corners of his lips turn up into a smile, but then he turns his whole attention to me.

 

"You're not going to make this," Taeyong teases. "I call for a bogey."

 

"Hey! It's my legs that have a gift, not my arms." I roll my eyes. I laser my vision into the golf ball below me, but then I hear the girls start adding their commentary once more.

 

"Hey, I'm single though. What do you think? Should I shoot my shot?"

 

"I say do it!"

 

"I say don't do it! He is literally with another girl! Stop this foolery, guys. Go touch some grass."

 

I start chuckling; thank god they have a friend that can knock some sense into them. Before I swing my arms, I can't help but take another look at Taeyong to get a better understanding off what exactly they're all talking about. I've said from the start that Taeyong is good on the eyes, but is he that good of a looker where some girls are willing to cheat on their boyfriends?!

 

I turn my heads towards Taeyong, who is leaning back on his golf club, one leg crossed behind the other. For a night out, it seems like the chilly climate isn't affecting him too much as he's wearing a simple white T cut off right above his elbows. It's fitted nicely; it's not one of those loose t-shirts where the sleeves just flap around with the wind; Taeyong's arms fill the space perfectly and then more. For a soccer player, he is quite built all around, a clear distinction from the regular, slim player I typically see on the field.

 

Taeyong's facial features are just the icing on the cake. His eyes are sharp and practically glisten on their own; each time we make eye contact, I literally almost falter a bit because the clarity is just.. startling. His brows are thick and defined - a juxtaposition of the calmness of his eyes - but together, they are so complimentary. His lips are plump and soft, and each time he widens them to smile, that's where the real money is.

 

Ok, to a certain degree, I can see why those girls are feeling the way they feel.

 

"Do you get that often?" I say and jolt up instead of firing a shot.

 

"Get what?" Taeyong winks.

 

"Oh, don't play dumb now." I point to the giddy girls below, and they all wave frantically once they notice Taeyong's attention has hastily gone to them.

 

"Hm.  I don't know how to give you an answer without sounding like an arrogant prick."

 

"Well, that in itself gave me the answer," I joke. "So. What... brought you to soccer? How'd you get into it?"

 

"Oh, well. I started when I was very, very young. My dad played it when he was a teen too, but his knees weren't all that strong. He threw me into it when I was about 6 or so, and then I kept playing ever since. Made some of my best memories and met some of my closest friends through this sport, so I thought it was worth to keep pursing," Taeyong smiles, and my heart naturally does a tiny flip. "And you?"

 

"Yeah, so, I also started young. My parents tried to put me in a little bit of everything; I remember doing ballet and busting my toes every week. I also tried pottery but they kept saying I was too aggresive with my hands. Soccer was the thing that stuck with me, something that I saw myself being good at and felt good doing." I answer, and I watch as Taeyong listens attentively. "I'm in the same boat as you. I've had the time of my life so far, and I don't want to stop any time soon."

 

"As in you'll go all the way to make the national team? You might have to beat me to it. We should have some long lasting bet of however makes it first, gets... something, I just can't think of it now." Taeyong grins. "I'm optimistic you'd win that bet first, though."

 

"Oh," I laugh. "Maybe."

 

"Don't say that, affirm it as so. Speak it into existence! I am confident with every bone in my body that you can do it."

 

At this point, we forget about the course altogether and start pacing down the different courses, holding our clubs in one hand. I take a moment to take yet another look at Taeyong; his eyes and face are so attentive to me, and he supplies the most supportive words - it's like he came straight out of some princess tale.

 

"Are you always this kind?" I blurt out.

 

"First, you ask me about those comments and now this? I can assure you that I am real," Taeyong jokes, and I find myself playfully hitting his arm before I fully realize. "I just know you're really talented, that's all."

 

"Oh yeah? Did you do your research or something before you came up to me?"

 

"Kind of? I just heard about you around. It was huge news

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter