Chapter 1

A Messy Christmas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As December was starting, Christmas was just around the corner and Seoul was dressed for the occasion. As beautiful as an angel, the city was covered in a white coat with red and gold jewelry hanging everywhere on the shops, the lane glistening with snow.

Christmas in Seoul was a lovely concept unknow in the west. The main purpose was to be happy and in love, Christmas in Korea was a special time for love and romantism. Couples were everywhere in the streets, walking hand in hand.

The streets were getting busy in the middle of the day, with people roaming there and there, enjoying the scenery.

The magic was messed up by a young man running, trying very badly not to slip on the sidewalks. Mino was late and he knew better not to make a girl like Irene wait alone in the cold weather.

He turned a few streets’ corner before stopping in front of a little coffee shop glittering with lights. Inside, he could see the brunette already there tapping angrily something on her phone.

A little buzzing sound made itself clear in his pocket.

He smiled reading the text, ‘I’m gonna kill you! Hurry up!’

He simply entered the shop, going behind the girl as he replied, “I love you too noona.”

The girl tried not to blush and stayed mad at the boy.

“Ya! I told you not call me noona,” she yelled whispered, looking around. “It makes me feel so old.”

Mino just laughed out loud, “you’re the cutest noona ever, Joohyun-ah” he confessed with a wink. “But you’re also the strongest,” he added feeling his arm a little sore from the hit.

Irene just rolled her eyes.

“I already ordered for us,” she blurted out, ignoring his words. It was for the better she thoughts.

“Arasso.”

The pager went on signaling that the drinks were ready, Irene clumsily got up signaling that she’ll go get them before proceeding to the main counter.

“Cute…” Mino thought out loud watching the girl.

Soon enough the girl was back with two hot drinks in her hand. “Let me take that,” Mino offered. “Do you want to walk to the Olympic park maybe? It’s beautiful when covered with snow.”

“Mmm,” Irene shyly nodded following the boy outside.

As they walk together, they grabbed some street food to go with their drinks and finally reached the park.

“Let’s sit here,” Mino leaded the way again, grabbing the girl’s hand without thinking much of it.

For Irene it felt like a burn, her chest lighting up inside of her. She tried to refrain her sentiments for the boy as much as possible but the boy was an oblivious idiot who unconsciously tortured the girl daily with how close they were. If only someone was to cross by them, they will surely think that this too were a lovely couple.

Irene wished it had been true but in reality she was too much of a coward to confess to the boy or act on her feelings. Instead she chose to stay as the loyal best friend of the boy she was in love with for almost six years now.

She sighed without noticing.

“Hey, gwenchana?” he genuinely asked, “Are you too cold?” he added grabbing her hand. “Omo, they are freezing! Wait I’ve a hot pack in my pocket come here.”

He simply took in the girl’s hand in his, the hot pack in between their palms securely hidden in his coat’s pocket.

“Are you coming to Bobby’s anniversary tomorrow night?” the blonde guy questioned.

“Yeah, I think I will. Your sister begged me to go with her and Jisoo.”

Mino nodded happily taking a bite of his hoddeok before signaling Irene to take one too. “Try it it’s delicious.”

“Aigo, what a lovely couple,” an ajumma passing by them congratulate.

Mino smiled to the lady not minding Irene who quickly covered her red face.

**

A few miles away from them, another happy pair were enjoying the weather in their one way. This time it was a real couple, it was the "married" couple of their friends’ clan.

Lisa and Chaeyoung had been dated for as long as they can remember. They had both transferred to Korea from a young age, Lisa came from Thailand and Rosé from Australia. They little knowledge of the country had bring them close to each other early on becoming the foreigner besties. Even though, Chaeyoung had Korean background she often felt like a foreign person here.

They officially started to date around freshman year in college, it has been seven years now. They moved in as soon as they were out of schools, trying now to live a happy adult life.

Christmas often make them feel homesick, not being able to see their family. That was why they usually chose to just spent most of their time in cuddling together on the couch.

“I love you Chaeng,” Lisa suddenly confessed her eyes fixed on the girl, surprising the girl in her arms.

Rosé looked back at the brunette girl, she kind of miss their old days when Lisa would change her hair color every now and then.

“What was that for?”

Lisa kissed the girl’s cheek tenderly, “I don’t know I just felt like saying it. It’s so beautiful outside, being here watching the snow coming down from behind the window, being warm inside with you in my arms. I’m just content with what I have.”

The girl tightens her hold as she talked, taking in the sweet flower scent of the girl’s golden hair.

Rosé looked at window too, feeling gloomy. “Yeah I guess you’re right it is beautiful.”

“Wait do you know what is missing?” Lisa asked cheerfully not catching on her girlfriend’s mood. “Hot choco!”

Her smile was as bright as the Christmas lights in Myeondong. Rosé watch her leave for the kitchen. She was so in love with the girl but she kinda of felt like they grew up too fast.

“Rosie to earth!” she heard Lisa’s voice calling for her. “where have you been to? I’ve been calling your name several times before you reacted. Here, your cup.”

Rosé silently started to sip on the hot beverage without a word.

“Oh by the way babe, I was thinking about ditching the party for Bobby’s birthday. I’m sure the boy won't even notice our absence.”

Chaeyoung rose up her head, “Why?” she inquired her voice holding disappointment.

“I don’t know. I just don’t feel like going out.” Lisa simply said making herself comfortable on her couch again. “Were you eager to go?” she asked finally noticing Chaeyoung.

Rosé looked down, toying with her spoon while answering, “Is not that I was eager about it… I… I just wanted to do something of our age for once. It’s been ages since we last went to a bar.”

Lisa scanned her girlfriend’s face, before nodding. “Arasso, we’ll go. You’re right it will be fun, I kinda missed Kimbap anyway.”

Lisa kissed the top of the blonde’s hair “I’m so jealous that your scalp is so strong babe.” She laughed to ease the mood.

“Yeah, you were so cool with blonde blueish tie and dye.” Chaeyoung day dreamed.

They stayed a moment like that looking at the TV screen never breaking the silence.

“I wonder what will Jennie do this time to cover Jensoo up.” Lisa snickered, followed by Rosé.

“See, one more reason to go. This two are so obvious yet I don’t know why they’re not living their life as they want.”

Lisa hugged her girlfriend. “Not everyone is as brave as us babe. This is Korea after all,” she stated. “they will come around eventually. Those fools are made for each other.”

Chaeng didn’t reply once again she just focus on the running man episode going on.

**

Ivy breathing filled the atmosphere as the two girls reached their moment together.

“I love you Jennie!” Jisoo let out as the petite woman on top of her crashed onto her.

“I love you too Chu. I really do.” Jennie sincerely confessed in return. “I wished I had better health and not feel like an halmoni after making love to my girlfriend.

Jisoo couldn’t help herself and smile and that status. “Am I? she asked with aegyo.

Jennie couldn’t resist the girl and grabbed her face to kiss her, their sweaty bodies still against each other, a gummy smile fully on display.

The moment was cut short by a ringtone under the bed. It was Jennie’s phone.

She made a very acrobatic turned to be able to reached the phone under the bed as she scoffed, “how the hell did it end up all the way there?!”

Jisoo snickered. “I bet one would know better…” she said with a flirtatious grin on her face as she watched carefully her girl’s asset.

She didn’t had the time to enjoy the view as much as she wanted when Jennie suddenly stood up like something had bitten her bottom.

“Shut up Jisoo. It’s my brother!” she exclaimed worries on her face as she replies. “what do you want oppa?”

Jisoo could hear Mino’s voice faintly greeting the girl in front of her. She tried to proceed and cover herself but Jennie abruptly shut her down again making crazy movements as she laughed crazily in the phone.

“Krkrkr! You’re so funny oppa!” she screamed before mimicking with pleading eyes a ‘be quiet jebal’.

Jisoo hated it. She loved the girl but this was the sad part of their relationship she had to face since two years they had been dating in secret.

She heard once again a faint ‘mmm, are you okay Jen? I know I can be funny but isn’t this a bit too much?”

“Sorry oppa,” Jennie apologized distressed evident in her voice. “So what do you want? Hum… I was kinda busy… I’m reorganizing my room.” She lied without reason.

Jisoo had enough of it and she choose to just get over it standing up for the kitchen not minding once how many sounds she could make on her way.

She heard Jennie coughed loudly making up another lie ‘sorry I must have catch a cold or something’ before she closed the door behind her trying to find comfort in the silence of their house’s living room.

The both of them were close friends of Chaelisa (Lisa and Rosé couple’s name they came up with in the clan). They had meet in college and if Chaelisa was a thing Jensoo was as much as inseparable.

They had spent all their college together and after Jennie and her had moved in together to ‘lessen the cost of life’ or so was their official saying.

In reality, they had been sharing a very ambiguous relationship since junior year when Jennie had boldly kissed the pretty girl in the public bathrooms.

Jisoo knew she was in love since then but they both agreed at first that they should keep their feelings to each other. It was better at the time, they just wanted to live the best of it without the drama.

They had kept the image of the best friends, going out with boys and fooling together from time to time in the intimacy of their room when they had been too intoxicated to control themselves.

Two years ago, as Jennie had started to date another guy to cover up, Jisoo had wanted to put an end to their situation. The pain was too much, the situation too messy for her to accept it anymore. She was on the verge of leaving when Jennie asked her to be her girlfriend for real, no cover boy allowed. She couldn’t resist the girl, the joy she had felt at that moment was the greatest she had ever felt to this day. Jennie had dumped the boy as soon as said and it had been only the two of them since.

The only thing Jisoo hadn’t planned was that being ‘girlfriends’ didn’t meant ‘be out and open’. Their story was only for them, behind those walls they were Jisoo and Jennie the eternal hottie best friends. Jennie had promise that they’ll come clear to everyone at one point, when the right time would come.

It has been two years and there was no evolution, the right timing was still missing out and Jisoo was tired.

She grabbed a robe to cover herself up and went to the kitchen. As she served herself some soju, she heard the bedroom’s door opens.

“He wanted to know if I needed a ride for this Christmas at my parents’ house” a fully clothed Jennie explained in a tiny voice.

Jisoo didn’t replied, instead she served herself another set of soju, gulping it without a blink.

“Babe…” Jennie tried out again.

“Don’t babe me.” Jisoo’s voice was stone cold. “I’m sick of it.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter