Second Call

The Attic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Since I'm rotating through my active stories, the gap in between each update might be quite long depending on how inspired I am with the story...most of the time, I just know the beginning and end of these stories which is why I take long cause I gotta make sure I connect that beginning and end with the events happening in the middle and those events can sometimes be spontaneous that even I surprise myself with my own twist xD Anyways, I hope you enjoy the update and thank you for supporting my stories ^^

 

 

Donghae happily played with his phone like a child would after unboxing their first toy. He accessed the playstore and downloaded every single game he loved to play on Heechul's phone like candy crush, scrabble, angry birds and other old trend gaming apps on to his brand new cellphone. Everyone else in the room enjoyed the childlike excitement Donghae had for his new phone but Heechul had something more in mind and wanted to record a funny video of the latter to put on his snapchat, so he sat himself down next to Donghae on the floor and nudged his side. 

"Hae-ah," he called. "Let's set up your voicemail."

"My voicemail?" Donghae paused his game and repeated. "Do I need to do that?" 

"Of course!" Heechul assented before grabbing the phone out of Donghae's hand and holding down the 1 keypad on the screen to access his voicemail. "You have to say something really catchy and witty so there's something for me to look forward to when I call you." 

Donghae blinked, not quite able to completely process what Heechul just said to him in his head when the other placed the phone on his ear. Completely caught unpreprepared, Donghae ended up gaping at Heechul his heart skipping a beat at the out of the blue pressure that was just given to him that when right before he ended up hanging the phone before the voice operator could give him his choices on what to do in his voicemail. 

Donghae's entire body was stiff as he stared back at Heechul's raised eyebrow look with wide eyes and a stiff upper lip. 

"Wait! Hang on. Hang on. Let me do it again," Donghae said then cleared his throat as he readied himself to record. He held the phone tight on his hand and chewed on his upper lip then lower lip trying to come up with a fun message he could record for his voicemail. Just before he could place his thumb over the 1 keypad on his screen, Donghae's phone suddenly started vibrating; both he and Heechul stared at the phone in shock. 

"Hyung?" Donghae called to him curiously when the supposed voicemail operator called him back. Heechul just furrowed his eyebrows together then shrugged his shoulders. 

"Maybe it's like a new thing they're doing. Just answer it and see what they say."

Not always the best at speaking with strangers, Donghae gulped nervously before sliding the green button across his screen. 

"Hello?"

"Hello. Yeah, can I get a pepperoni please? Mushroom and bellpeppers on the side with extra anchovies."

"What?"

"Yeah, yeah. Medium size. Can I also get a large coke with that? But do me a favor and mix that in with Pepsi, I like tasting them both."

Donghae blinked and pulled away from the phone a little to double check the name on his screen. Sure enough, the only thing he saw on the screen were the familiar series of his own cell number staring back at him. Not quite sure what to make of it, Donghae took a deep intake of air and braved continuing the conversation with his "phone operator." 

"Umm...I'm-I'm sorry...I-...I think you have the wrong number."

"Wrong number? You mean this isn't Pizzagedon the Armageddon of Pizzas?"

"Uhh..." Donghae, at this point, was about 90% sure that the person he was talking to was not the phone operator. "No. This is Donghae." 

An audible snicker was heard on the other end of the phone and now Donghae was worried that this might be one of the bullies in his school prank calling him. A plausible enough idea if he didn't literally just unbox the phone two hours ago. 

"Well, Donghae. Next time you want to prank call someone make sure it's not the prank master." 

A childish 'mehrong' was heard on the line before the sound of the call dropping was heard. Donghae blinked and looked at his phone screen to make sure the other had indeed hung up the phone on him before puzzling out the conversation in his head. 

'What the hell just happened? A prank? He was the one getting pranked here!' Donghae thought in his head, unconsciously forming his lips into a pout which Heechul quickly caught. 

"Yah, what's wrong?" He nudged at his knee. "Is there something wrong with your phone?" 

"I'm not sure," Donghae responded still confused about what just happened. "Maybe...Maybe it was just a wrong number?" 

"Who has your number already?" 

Donghae shrugged his shoulders and put the strange conversation behind him as they were all suddenly distracted by Sungmin walking back in the room just as he was getting off the phone himself. 

"Hey, guys. Guess what? That was Hankyung hyung. He just got off work so we should head out now and meet him in the movies."

The group of friends immediately gathered themselves together in the living room and scampered out the door to continue celebrating Donghae's birthday at their next location. Afterall, it's not everyday someone turns 18 and the night was still young.

~+~+~+~

The following day, Hyukjae flipped onto his back when he felt the heat of the sun's ray hit his skin. The bright light coming through his window interrupted the deep slumber he was in and groaned out loud as he stretched his arm and legs as far out as they would go before abruptly sitting up right and scratching the side of his head. It took him a good minute to get himself oriented enough to pull himself away from the warmth coziness of his bed and out the door to where his mother was currently cooking the family breakfast. 

"Oh, Hyukjae-ah, you're up?" His mother greeted him after he dragged his feet into view of the kitchen. 

Hyukjae muttered a whiny "good morning" at her before settling himself down on the floor where his new toy currently laid resting with a full battery. Still half asleep, his right eye closed into a squint, Hyukjae unlocked the screen and proceeded to go sweep through the phone. The first thing he did was scroll through the apps installed in it and let out a breathy laugh of disbelief at the "classic retro" games he saw in it. Not at all interested in playing any of them, he proceeded to delete each app in the process. 

'Subway Surfer' - deleted. 

'Angry Birds' - deleted.

"Scrabble?" Hyukjae read out loud with a scoff as he pressed down on the application and proceeded to delete it. "I can't believe people actually like that game."

He was just about to delete 'Candy Crush' when, out of nowhere, he suddenly felt a very hard wooden object hit the top of his head. 

"OW!" He hissed loudly then rubbed the sore spot vehemently to try and ease the pain away. Hyukjae was ready to let out a loud string of curses due to the amount of pain he was feeling but when he looked up to see his attacker, he was quick to swallow his words down at the single glare his mother was giving him. 

"Yah, Lee Hyukjae. What did I say about using your phone before a meal, huh?"

"Aish-" Hyukjae dropped the phone and floor and stood up on his feet so he could look his mother in the eye while expressing his frustration at her. "Umma! Can't you just call my name next time like a normal mother would?" 

"Don't you think I did that already?" She nagged back at him with her hands at her waist. "If you he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter