Fourth Call

The Attic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After coming to a daunting realization (completely on his own) that he'd been contacted by an alien, Hyukjae started to internally freak out. As soon as he heard the recorded voice message that was directly addressed to him, he tossed his phone towards the edge of his bed and immediately wrapped his arms around his knees as his small effort to comfort himself. He very slowly rocked his body back and forth while nervously chewing on the insides of his lower lip. His eyes stared wide eyed at the phone that remained lifeless at the edge of his bed and tried his very best to not get spooked by the sudden thought that aliens from outerspace were trying to contact him...quite literally he feared. 

"No, no, no. Come on, Lee Hyukjae. Get your head together." He scolded himself and lightly tapped the top of his head trying to force the scary thoughts out of it. "Aliens aren't real. Aliens aren't real. Aliens aren't-"

*Ring* *Ring*

Hyukjae froze and stared at the device upon hearing that familiar ringtone. 

*Ring* *Ring*

He could feel his blood run cold as he dared to sneak a peak at the screen. Hyukjae paled the second he saw those familiar digits flashing on the screen. 

*Ring* *Ring*

"Don't answer it," Hyukjae muttered to himself but his hand was already reaching forward for the device despite his brain's command to leave it alone. "Don't answer it. Don't answer it.  Come on, Lee Hyukjae. Do  not answer the alien that's trying to contact you."

*Ring* Ring*.... *Ring* Ring*.....*Ring* *Ring*

Hyukjae continued to stare at the phone nervously trying to resist the urge to answer it. It felt like its been ringing for an eternity and the ringtone that played along with the call echoed inside Hyukjae's head. Almost as though he was falling into a trance. The phone continued to ring and after what seemed to be the hundredth one, Hyukjae could no longer contain the suspense he was feeling inside and  caved. Without so much as a single coherent thought in his head, Hyukjae answered the phone and like a volcano, burst out every single thought that was going through his head. 

"Look! I'm sorry, okay!?" He yelled so loudly he failed to hear the words of the other person on the other line. "Please don't abduct me! Don't send your alien friends to get me! I'll be nice, I promise. I'm too young to die by your alien hands. You should go after my friend Kyuhyun. He's way smarter than me. You'll learn more about the human race from him than from me!" Hyukjae knows that Kyuhyun would probably kill him for bartering him away like that, but he figured dying through Kyuhyun's hands would be a way merciful and honorable death than through an alien who may or may not want to probe his for information. If any of the sci-fi movies he'd seen had taught him anything, it's that aliens were always about the probing. 

"I'm too handsome and awesome for you to probe my ! You're contacting the wrong species anyway. There's a few of us in Mars. Those are the one's you should be bothering with your alien-ness, not me here on earth! I mean, yeah sure we have like a lot of water but I wouldn't want to drink the ocean water if I were you. There's like a bunch of trash swimming in it and don't even get me started about the weird stuff living underneath it." Hyukjae made an unconscious face thinking of the blob fish and other hideous monsters living in the dark deep abyss of the ocean before moving on with his next part of bargaining. "If you don't want someone smart, I can give you my friend Junsu. He's dumb but he's really funny and talented so you won't get bored of him so easily. Oh! I can give you my sister too as a bonus. Although I have to warn you, she's a nagger so if you take her then prepare for your ear to fall off. Do aliens have ears? Well, of course you. How else can you hear me right now, but wait...what if you don't call it ears? Do you have body parts? How many hands do you have? Do you even have hands? Oh wait. Maybe you have tentacles....paws? Are you part dog?"

Hyukjae's ranting veered off towards the end that by the time he finished bargaining with the "alien" he was more excited and curious than he was scared and anxious. He wasn't really sure what kind of answer he was expecting from Donghae, maybe something spontaneous or amazing, but it certainly wasn't the potty-mouthed-too-perplexed-to-even-take-you-seriously response he got from the other. 

"What the are you talking about?" 

Hyukjae blinked  and was rendered speechless for a second not quite expecting a being from a different planet to know such vocabulary. 

"I'm not an alien. Out of the two of us, you're the weirdo who's more likely from a different planet."

Always quick to pick up on an insult, Hyukjae scowled and changed his tone to reflect his offense. 

"Yah! Who are you calling from a different planet!?"

"Obviously you. Duh."

"Why you little- I don't care if you're a green eyed monster from Venus, here on earth we have this thing called manners." Hyukjae gritted out and scowled at the impolite form of his speaking. "I can't believe I was trying to be nice to you by giving you my best friend and my sister."

He heard the other snicker which made him frown even more. 

"Yah, pabo-yah. What would I want with your best friend or sister? I have plenty of friends of my own." 

"Aish-" Hyukjae cursed under his breath and couldn't help but be further irritated with the smart aleck response he kept receiving. "Yah! Why do you keep calling me?" 

"Excuse me? Me? Calling you? Ha! You're the one that keeps calling me." 

"I was not. How would I answer the phone if I was the one calling you."

~+~+~+~

Donghae frowned when he heard Hyukjae's response to him and was starting to once again be confused by the other. 

"I wasn't calling you, dummy," he said. "I was recording my voicemail message to replace the one Heechul hyung did earlier." Donghae wasn't sure why he shared that part but felt like it was worth justifying his actions. 

"Aha! I knew it!" Donghae furrowed his brows at Hyukjae's exclaim. "So you were targeting me."

"Targeting you? Why would I target you? I'm trying to avoid you, you psycho." He rolled his eyes at him and despite the lack of visual from the other, Donghae imagined him doing the same. "Why do you keep interrupting my recordings? I need to set this up properly so my hyungs can call me and not worry about some lame-o interfering with my calls."

"Yah! I'm not lame, you . I'll have you know I'm one of the most awesome and coolest people you'd ever meet. You'll be lucky to be my friend."

He scoffed at Hyukjae's remark but couldn't help the smile that formed on his face. "I'm pretty sure it's the other way around."

"You brat. I'd have you begging on your knees if I ever see you in person."

"Oh yeah? Not if I make you first." Donghae challenged him back. "You'd probably be awe struck and drool after me when you see how handsome I am. Don't worry, I'm used to it." 

"Ha! Fat chance dumb face." 

Donghae took Hyukjae's insult personally and without really thinking, suddenly blurted out, "Fine! If you're so confident with yourself then let's meet tomorrow. 3:00, at Seoul Square in front of Ediya Coffee by the South wing of Coex Mall. I'll show you who's dumb, you-...you dummy!"

Despite the childish insult, Hyukjae took Donghae's bait.

"What!? Fine! I'll see you there! Let's see who's the real dummy then, dummy!"

Donghae narrowed his eyes at the phone and took it off his ear just so he could scream directly at it. "Fine!"

"Fine!" 

He angrily ended the call and dropped his phone by his side then harshly stood up from his bed to let out some steam that brewed up inside him. He wasn't usually one to get easily riled up, always opting to silently deflect whatever insults were directed his way, but for whatever reason, when it came to this Hyukjae person, his emotions always gets the best of him. It hasn't even fully sunk in in his mind yet that he had, quite spontaneously, set up a meeting with the other. 

"Donghae?" He turned around in the midst of his fuming to see his brother peeking his head inside the door. "Is everything alright? Why are you screaming?"

"Huh? Oh- Oh y-yeah, hyung. Every-...Everything's alright." Donghae cleared his throat and tried to appear as normal as he could when his brother's worried face didn't let up. He glanced down at the phone on his bed, and instinctively made a move forward to grab it and hide it behind his back causing Donghwa to frown even more at his strange behavior. 

"What's going on? Is someone bothering you?"

"Huh? N-No, hyung. No one's bothering me." Donghae shook his head vehemently while gripping the phone tighter behind his back, afraid that his brother might take it away from him if he doesn't distract him away from the topic. "Oh, by the way, Hyung. Heechul hyung asked me if I could go hang out with them tomorrow at the mall."

Donghwa burst out in a soft chuckle hearing Donghae's request. "Really? Heechul 'asked' you if you could go?"

Donghae smiled realizing his mistake. "Okay, fine. He demanded I go with them otherwise he's going to breakdown our door and kidnap me," he let out a small giggle before adjusting his eyes to look up at Donghwa with his pleading puppy dog eyed look mixed with an innocent. "So?....Can I go?" 

Donghwa leered at him trying not to give in to Donghae's go to this-is-how-I-get-what-I-want look, but just like always, he was proved helpless against those eyes. After letting out a heavy sigh, Donghwa gave a simple nod of his head before turning around to exit out of Donghae's room, missing the look of excitement that showed on Donghae's face (not that he's unaware since he's been very familiar with Donghae's I-win-again face.)

"Yah, Lee Donghae. Make sure you get home before curfew tomorrow night, okay? And make sure you bring your phone with you. I want to be able to get ahold of you when I need to, arasso?"

"Neh, hyung!" Donghae said without any hesitation then followed it up with, "Saranghae!" doubled with both arms going over his head and making a giant heart with his body. Donghwa rolled his eyes at Donghae's aegyo but as soon as he was out of the door and out of sight, smiled while shaking his head helplessly. His brother really is too innocent for his own good.

~+~

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter