Sixth Call

The Attic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dead? Hyukjae stared at the paper he had printed in his hands and read the information over again. His eyes lingered over at the year end date and couldn't help but be further confused and puzzled by it. How can he be dead? No...No, this isn't right. Hyukjae flipped the page over to the front then the back again, somehow hoping that by doing so that the details printed out would magically change, but no matter how many times he went back and forth between the two pages that KPR had given him the word that haunted him remained printed in bold red ink. 

Hyukjae was so immersed in looking at Donghae's information, forcing his brain to try and make sense of it, that when he felt his phone vibrating in his pocket, he jumped and felt his heart drop down the pit of his stomach. Swallowing down his nerves, Hyukjae folded the paper in half before pulling his phone out of his back pocket and answering the call. 

"H-Hello."

"Hyukjae? What's wrong?"

Hyukjae cleared his throat and tried to adjust to make himself sound more...well, more normal. 

"Uhm, not-nothing. Anyway, what's up? Why'd you call?"

"Is that how you talk to someone who was worried and wanted to check up on you?"

Hyukjae rolled his eyes and lightly banged his head against the window pane of the bus he was currently on. After a quiet sigh escaped his lips, he took a deep breath before replying to the other. "I'm fine, Kyu. What do you want?"

"Geeze. So grouchy. What's wrong? Was he old and wrinkly like I said?" 

Hyukjae scowled at Kyuhyun's description and inadvertently found himself glancing down at the printed photo of Donghae's face. "No," he said while his eyes continued to stare at the smiling photo of Donghae. "He's anything but." 

"Oh really?" Kyuhyun's voice went a little higher and Hyukjae could just picture the teasing smirk on the latter's face. "Is he a total hottie? Is that what got you speechless?"

At the reminder of what it was about Donghae that bothered him, Hyukjae flipped the paper over so that he no longer saw Donghae's face before staring out the window to look at the busy street in front of him. "No." 

"Yah, what's wrong with you?" Kyuhyun wasn't used to the short one word answers that Hyukjae was giving him. The other was usually quick to banter with him but the curt and monotone responses he was getting from the other was starting to bother him. "Seriously. Just tell me." 

"It's not-" Hyukjae started to say but then stopped when he realized that there was no way he was going to figure this out on his own. Instead of denying the truth, he opted out for a different strategy. "Are you home?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Stay there. Don't go anywhere." Hyukjae told him and got off the bus when it made its stop. "I'm going to you right now." 

"What? Why?" Kyuhyun was starting to worry and couldn't figure out why Hyukjae was acting weird. "Lee Hyukjae, answer me!" 

"It's hard to explain over the phone, Kyu.  I'll tell you when I see you." Hyukjae ended the call and anxiously waited for the next bus he needed to get on to in order to see Kyuhyun. If anyone could make sense of this nonsense, it would be him.

~+~+~+~+~+~

Donghae woke up in a good mood the following day and felt quite energized to start his day. He got up from the bed and noticed the phone he had used to lull himself to sleep the night before was out of battery. Almost immediately, his good mood soured as he reached for the charging chord that hung by his night table. He waited for the green battery to show on the dark screen before grumpily getting out of bed and going to the kitchen to make himself some quick breakfast. Donghwa was already in the kitchen watching the news on his phone. 

"Hyung, what are you doing home?" 

"My work closed." Donghwa said trying to keep the bitterness out of his voice. "Don't bother getting ready for school either. Everything's closed. The whole country's on lockdown." 

Donghae blinked and thought he might still be half-asleep because he couldn't understand what his brother was saying to him. "What? Why would we-"

"It's that damn virus." Donghwa turned off his phone and finally looked up to see Donghae's half mess state. "What the hell's wrong with you? Did you have a bad dream or something?" 

"No," Donghae pouted then proceeded towards the fridge to get himself some breakfast. "Have you spoken to Appa or Umma? Are they going to be able to come back home?"

"No, I don't think so. They're gonna stay with Halmeoni for a little while until this thing passes." A heavy sigh came from Donghwa and for the first time Donghae could tell that this was something that was really bothering him. 

"You know, Hyung, this will probably be over before you know it. It's not gonna last forever." 

"I hope not." Donghwa pursed his lips together and sighed once more. "I can't imagine we can keep the house for very long if I don't get back to work."

"You worry too much." Donghae teased then joined Donghwa on the table. "I think you should think of this as a short vacation. You've been working so hard ever since you graduated college that you haven't had any time for yourself. Maybe this is God's way of telling you to take a break." 

Donghwa chuckled at Donghae's light hearted joke and reached forward to ruffle his hair. Donghae yelped and whined at his hair getting messed up that only made his brother laugh even harder. 

Today marked their first day in quarantine. After much urging by multiple news network, and the multiple emails and notifications Donghae received from his school that they will remain closed until further notice and to refrain from doing any unnecessary trips outside or gatherings, Donghae had to make the best of it. Afterall, who knows how long he'd have until they force him to go back to school again. 

However, what he thought to be a free vacation day quickly turned into one of the longest days he'd ever had. Now that he was stuck at home with absolutely nothing to do, Donghae ended up lying lazily on his bed, staringly blankly at the ceiling while he racked his brain for something to do. The house was clean, the TV was boring, and everyything outside was closed so even if he wanted to go out, there would be nothing to do out there for him. 

He took in a deep breathe and tried to think of something to do when he remembered something from last night. 

A game

Hyukjae...He was playing a game.

Maybe he could tell him what game he was playing. It sounded fun. Well, at least it sounded like he was having fun. 

Surely, he must be as bored as he was right now. 

Donghae reached for his phone and unplugged it from the charger and went to his most recent calls. He had saved the phone number as "Mine" in an attempt to claim the number as his and his alone. Once he sees Hyukjae in person, he would show it to the latter and show him that he really was the rightful owner of the number and not him. 

Then, maybe...he could get Hyukjae's real number and save that as the one that belongs to him. 

Donghae pressed the call icon and nervously waited for the other to pick up. His conversations with Hyukjae so far has always ended up with him and Hyukjae fighting but hopefully, this time around, things would end...a little differently. 

~+~+~+~+~+~

Kyuhyun's brows were furrowed together as he looked at the paper that Hyukjae handed him about Donghae. 

"Are you sure this is right?" He asked, reflecting the same disbelief Hyukjae had when he first found out about it. "I mean...how- how is this even possible? Maybe you got the wrong person." 

"Don't you think I've thought of that?" Hyukjae let out a frustrated 'ugh' before snatching the papers out of Kyuhyun's hands. "I'm not a complete idiot, Kyuhyun-ah. Of course I double checked to make sure it was the right information."

"Well..." Kyuhyun scoffed trying to rack his brain to give Hyukjae some answers that he was looking for but couldn't for the life of him find any. He was as perplexed as Hyukjae was about the whole thing. "Have...Have you tried calling him? Maybe Donghae's not even his rea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter