First Call

The Attic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hmm...so many ongoing, why start on this one you you say? Well...cause I don't think this one would be that long. I'm hopig to keep this at 15 chapters but it might be less lol it'll be based on the feedback I get on it ^^ Donghae's scenes will be italized because he's in the past and Hyukjae is the one in the present ^^

Happy reading :)

 

 

Hyukjae finished arranging the boxes in the attic for his Dad to arrange later but kept the little wooden box with the strange inscription out. He wanted to keep the phone for himself and boast around his friends as his new cool "old" toy. Hyukjae still hasn't quite figured out how to turn the device on or if it was still even working. He made sure to dig through the box where he found it thoroughly to make sure he didn't miss any other accessory that might have gone along with it before putting the box away.

"Hyukjae! Come down and eat!"

"Neh, Umma!" Hyukjae yelled back at her from the attic and quickly collected the items together. He held the phone with one hand and grabbed the box with the other as he quickly made his way down the attic. Maybe his mother would have an idea on how to make the phone work properly. 

By the time Hyukjae reached the kitchen his mother had already set the table. He happily took his usual spot and practically drooled over the food in front of him. Steam was still coming off from the rice and bulgogi his mother just made that made him want to dig in right away. 

"Yah, Lee Hyukjae," his mother called scoldingly while placing their glasses on the table. "Go wash your hands before eating. You're covered with dusts all over." 

Hyukjae pouted, too lazy to get out of his seat. "It's fine, Umma. I already washed my hands," he lied and grabbed the spoon on his side of the table, only to yelp out in pain the next second after his mother had promptly slapped his hand away from the food. He dropped the spoon back on the the plate and looked up at his mother, scandalized that she'd just hit his hand with their wooden ladle, only to see her glaring at him.

"Lee Hyukjae, go wash your hands right now." 

The commanding tone in her voice made Hyukjae whine out loud as he begrudgingly pushed himself out of his chair out and walked over to the sink. Before doing so, he placed the phone and box that he took from the attic on the table to keep his hands free. His mother raised a brow at the items placed on the table before shaking her head helplessly at Hyukjae. 

"What the heck are these? I told you to stop bringing toys with you on the table."

"They're not toys, Umma," Hyukjae said with his back still on her as he scrubbed his hands thoroughly to get rid of all the dust and grime he accumulated from the attic. "I found those in the attic. Can I keep it?" 

"Where did you find it? What did the box say?"

"It wasn't in any of the boxes. It was just outside."

"Outside?" Hyukjae grabbed the towel off the drying rack and turned around just in time to see his mother holding the phone and inspecting it all around. "Outside where?"

Hyukjae shrugged and placed the rag back where he found it. 

"Just outside. It was on the floor in the attic and I found those two together and I think it's kinda cool so..." Hyukjae left the rest of what he was gonna say and extended his hand out for his mom to hand the device back to him. "Can I keep it?"

Hyukjae's mother looked at the phone one more time, flipping it around her hand as she furrowed her brows together inspecting it. Somehow, the prehistoric looking device looked very familiar to her but couldn't quite place in her mind the reason why. She took one glance at Hyukjae and upon seeing the eager look on his face, sighed before handing him the phone back. Hyukjae cheered and flopped himself back down on his seat on the table and started to put food on his plate. 

"I don't know why you would want to keep that old thing. What's wrong with the phone you have?" 

"Nothing." Hyukjae answered with a shrug. "I just think it's cool we still have a phone like this. I mean, my friends and I have only seen pictures of it. I'd be like the coolest person ever in our school when I bring this in." 

Hyukjae's mother frowned at Hyukjae's strange answer then shook her head helplessly as she also joined Hyukjae to eat. 

"I would never understand your generation's desire for going back in time. Can't you just enjoy what you have now?" 

Hyukjae laughed hearing his mother's rant then proceeded to shove a spoonful of rice and meat into his mouth. 

"UMmma, dmewo yu kmnow haw to tmurn tdison?" 

She didn't even bother to say anything and just raised her right brow at Hyukjae while giving him the look. Hyukjae chuckled sheepishly and quickly chewed his food before swallowing it down with a glass of water, then repeating what he just said. 

"I said, do you know how to turn this on?"

"Just find the power button and press it." She said as though it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Come on, Hyukjae-ah. I know technology has evolved quite a bit since I was your age but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed that much."

Hyukjae scowled at her sarcasm. "I've tried that, Umma, but it's not working." 

"It's probably just out of batter or no longer working. Who knows how long it's been up there," she said while grabbing her own serving. "If it's not broken, I'm sure if take out your father's box of cables, we can find one that matches that phone."

"Really?" Hyukjae's lower lip jutted out, a little skeptical of his chances finding a matching cable in his father's box of tangled wires. 

"Your father's been collecting those ever since he was a child. Wait for him to get home and try your luck."

Hyukjae's response to that was a simple nod of his head as he shoved another spoonful of rice and meat into his mouth. Afterall, what did he have to lose?

~+~+~+~

"Happy birthday to you~
Happy birthday to you~
Happy birthday, Lee Donghae~
Happy birthday to you~"

Donghae smiled brightly at his friends and family as they all finished singing him his birthday song before closing his eyes for three seconds and then promptly blowing out the candles of his cake as hard as he can. They all cheered and clapped their hands as they watched Donghae struggled a little to blow out the 18 candles in front of him, but once he was done, they all cheered louder with some of them reaching out to give him a congratulatory pat. His mother squeezing herself in between his two brothers to give him a hug and quick kiss on the cheek. 

"Umma~," Donghae whined with a small laugh. 

"Aigoo~ sorry, son." She chuckled then pulled away but not before giving one his cheeks a pinch to show how much she still adored him. "Alright. I'm gonna go into the kitchen and cut up your cake. Go ahead and open your presents." 

"Oh! Me first! Me first!"

Donghae looked up and saw his bestfriend raising his present up in the air. He laughed silently and happily took the wrapped present from him. 

"Sungmin hyung, I told you you didn't have to get me anything."

"Nonsense! Of course I'm getting you something." Sungmin giggled then urged Donghae to open it. "Come on, open it!"

Donghae carefully ripped through the wrapper of Sungmin's present and then grinned widely when he saw that it was the jacket he's been eyeing at the shop for quite a while. He proudly raised the present up for all to see then quickly bringing his bestfriend in for a one-arm-sided hug. 

"Thank you, hyung." Donghae said to him. Once he had released Sungmin, another present was produced in front of him. He looked up and saw Kangin smirking at him. "You got me a present too, hyung?" 

"Of course. As if Sungmin and Heechul would ever let me come here empty handed." 

Donghae chuckled and shook his head at Sungmin and Heechul who just smiled innocently at him. He grabbed the small badly wrapped gift from Kangin and tore it open in one go. Inside was a a small square box and upon opening it, Donghae blinked -- confused by the red pin he saw inside. 

"Uhh...hyung?" He said while taking the pin out of its case. "KP? What does that mean?"

"Kangin Protected." Kangin answered proudly. He saw Heechul and Sungmin roll their eyes at him from the corner of his eyes but disregarded it and just took the pin from Donghae's hand and happily pinned it on Donghae's shirt. "This way, whenever you come across another bully at school, they would know that if they ever mess with you again, they'll have me to deal with next." 

Donghae was speechless at first trying as he let Kangin's words sink in in his head, but once it did, he couldn't help but show how touched he was at the small gesture that a smile spead across his face and took a step forward to pull the other in for a thank you hug.

"Hyung...," Donghae called softly but before he could even say a proper thank you, he was pulled back by Heechul grabbing his collar with the other's arm automatically wrapping themselves around his neck in a choke hold manner while his other free hand tapped onto his chest. Donghae let out an audible "oomph!" from the impact his back made against Heechul as he tried to extend his neck out, struggling against the other's hold, while also taking in a deep intake of air to keep himself from actually choking.

"Alright, dongsaeng-ah. It's time for you to open my present."

Donghae kept struggling to get out of Heechul's semi-firm choke hold and tapped on the latter's arm asking to be freed. Heechul ruffled the top of Donghae's hair before releasing him with a laugh. The other groaned and fussed around his hair, urgently trying to fix it. 

"What do you mean your gift?"

Donghae heard Heechul's scoff but he was still too busy fixing his hair to completely process what was happening. 

"Fine. Our gift." He said to Donghwa while rolling his eyes. "Happy?"

Donghwa rolled his eyes back at Heechul before messing up Donghae's hair again as he handed the other his present. "Here,"  he said. "It's from all of us."

Donghae turned to his brother and whined at having to fix his hair again but when he saw the present on his hand and processed the words he said, he couldn't help the confused expression that showed on his face. Donghwa just smiled and placed the gift on Donghae's hand. "Heechul helped us raise the moneyto get this so this is from him, me, and Appa and Umma," he further explained to answer Donghae's silent question. "Wipe that stupid look off your face and open it."

Donghae slowly took the gift from Donghwa but still took a second to glance at Heechul just to see him smirking his way. He heard Kangin and Sungmin both ask Heechul what he had gotten him but the other ignored their question and simply kept quiet while he watched Donghae unwrap his present, eagerly waiting to see what his reaction would be.

Gifts were not on Donghae's list of things that he wanted to prioritize on his special day but his curiosity got the best of him as he tried to figure out what the mysterious p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter