|2.| The sound of a ringing bell

Practical Magic | xiuchen |
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Baekhyun awoke this morning he knew that this day wouldn't be like every day. Ever since the day before he could hear the sound of a tiny bell ringing. He closed his eyes and tried his best to ignore the sound that plagued his mind. Many would think that bells were meant to be a pleasant reminder but to witches, it held a completely different meaning. They say when a bell rings a witch has either found their true love or has just lost it. For centuries in the Kim family, this could only mean the worst. It seemed like the family was cursed with misfortune, and Baekhyun quickly turned over to find his lover sound asleep. He sighed in relief and picked up his head to peer out the window beside his bed, the sky looked down on him with gloom and utter despair. He felt an itch on his skin that he knew all too well and the sudden smell of rusting metal fill the room. Today his dark mark wished that he'd assist him to do something evil. Baekhyun couldn't lie the offer was tempting but for two years he was able to keep these urges under control with the help of Chanyeol. The itch, the smell, and soon the drive would alert to him that maybe his dark mark had found a way to look past Chanyeol. Suddenly Baekhyun was filled with a feeling he loathed but so utterly craved. 

"Baekhyun, are you alright," Chanyeol said grudgingly, as he touched his lover's . 

"You feel all clammy and cold- are you getting sick?" Chanyeol asked as he reached around to feel for a temperature.

Baekhyun pushed his hand away and swiftly got out from underneath the covers, and threw himself to the bathroom as fast as he could. Something felt like it was clawing his insides desperately trying to get out. If that's what it wanted Baekhyun had no right to refuse its request. He quickly reached into the cabinet above the sink and grabbed the jar filled with mystical herbs that his grandmother had made for him. He quickly emptied the jar into his mouth and filled his mouth with water from the sink to wash it down. As soon as he reached the toilet he began to shake and go pale. In less than a second Chanyeol was right behind him, and as soon as his hands reached his cold back Baekhyun instantly threw up. Like whatever inside him was afraid of his touch. But it wasn't the average sickness it was the marks sickness that had seemed to plague him all these years. The black goop filled the toilet and Chaneyol tried his best to soothe his lover. It was violent and horrified it felt like a demon clogged his lungs and wished to take over, but like hell was Chanyeol going to let this happen. He scooped his lover into his arms and raced down the stairs of their shared home. He quickly grabbed his car keys and his phone before darting out the door. As soon as he reached the car he quickly set Baekhyuns fragile body in the seat and strapped him in knowing this was about to be violent. He quickly dialed Jongdae's number and prayed that Baekhyuns little brother would pick up the phone.

"Hello-" Jongdae began before quickly being cut off from the clearly panicked man.

"Jongdae something is wrong! I've never seen this before I don't know what to do!" Chanyeol yelled into the phone in pure terror. 

Looking beside him he could see the black goop desperately trying to escape Baekhyuns body. He turned white and the circles around his eyes grew darker.

"I'm coming over now! He's dying!" Chanyeol screamed into the phone before taking off at a rapid pace down the road.

Jongdae felt like he couldn't breathe, and froze in a complete panic. He would have thought Baekhyun had at least another decade before the effects of the mark would take a hold of his body. Something must have triggered it into trying to save itself and attempting to take hold of its host. Without a second thought, Jongdae ran to his grandmother's room and pulled the grimware from her dresser. He quickly made his way downstairs to see Chanyeol had already come inside. The pure look of panic and pain was clear as day knowing there was nothing he could do to protect Baekhyun any longer. Without hesitation, Jongdae threw everything off the dining room table and Chanyeol placed Baekhyun's body down. 

"What's happening!" Chanyeol yelled as Jongdae tried his hardest to find the spell he was looking for.

"The mark on Baekhyun's body must have been triggered by something so strong it tried to do the only thing it could, and become whole with Baekhyun," Jongdae tried to say calmly, and felt relief when he finally was able to find the spell.

He ran to the knife drawer and cut a slit across the palm of his hands, and then ran to Baekhyun to make cuts all around his body. His goal was to get the parasite out and stabilize Baekhyun the best he could. It worked for many years with their mother and he tried his hardest to make it possibly be the same for his brother. then again, the spell took a strong witch or warlock to work. Jongdae was skilled, but he didn't have a lifetime of training. He clenched his hands above a bowl and watched as the blood poured out. Chanyeol just stood slowly raking his fingers through his lover's sweaty hair in an attempt to help in any way that he could. 

"What can I do Jongade," He said, looking at the younger man.

"Get ready to hold him down, and no matter what don't let go! Even if he begs and pleads!" He screamed, before placing his open cuts onto Baekhyuns.

The burn of their skin made Baekhyun let out a blood-curdling scream. Jongdae tried his best to ignore it and tune it out as he slowly started to chant his incantation. Chanyeol struggled to keep his lover down and shut his eyes so he wouldn't have to witness the horror. Baekhyuns screams only became louder and louder after every chant. He could feel every emotion in Baekhyuns body, and he felt himself slowly become tethered to his brother. Pulling out the dark goop from the insides of his body and placing them into the jars beside him. The goop fighting to escape the jars while J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter