| 1. | In the garden

Practical Magic | xiuchen |
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Jongdae laid in his bed and stared out the window to his beloved garden, and across from the garden was his antique shop right on the town's strip. The sun had just started to rise but Jongdae wished it didn't. For this day wasn't like the other three-hundred-sixty-four. This marked the one-year anniversary since his beloved grandmother has passed leaving him all alone in his small town. A town that was full of laughter and even just a little hysteria. For centuries this town was run by witches, and at the hit of the eighteenth century led to the mass murderings of them. Jongdae's ancestors ran for their lives and continued their family lineage, and when Jongdae and his elder brother reach the age of nine their family moved back to their family home. From then on, with their grandmother's assistance, they learned magic. Pulling it from the earth only to be used for good and never for evil. For if someone became consumed with dark magic they themself would cease to exist. A mark would be developed on their wrist with signs of too many bad deeds. 

Jongdae remembered the first time he ever saw the mark. It was late one night as he stood in the kitchen with his brother and his grandmother making sweet treats for the younger to bring to school the next day. When out of nowhere the kitchen door burst open, and a huge gust of wind pushed their mother inside. She looked ragged as if she had just been dragged through the streets of hell. Without a second thought, the young boys ran to try and assist their mother, but before they knew it their mother had already begun her transformation. Jongdae's brother Baekhyun cried out as his mother fell to the ground. In her last moments in an attempt to save herself from the darkness she reached and grabbed a hold of her eldest son's arms. She slowly chanted out to Baekhyun as she tried to transfer her mark onto him. In horror, the boy's grandmother ran over and snatched Baekhyun away from his mother. By midnight, their mother was dead and they were burying her in the family garden. Jongdae knew the guilt that Baekhyun would carry from that night throughout the rest of his life. His dark mark would grow as the years grew with the mark calling out to him in an attempt for him to do wrongdoings. 

Jongdae sighed and rolled himself out of bed. He slipped on his house slippers as he made his way downstairs to his kitchen and flicked his finger to the coffee machine enchanting it to start. He walked around the kitchen to the back door and stepped out to get a little bit of fresh air before he could start his day. He looked over towards the garden and the plot of flowers that bloomed every day and died at the end of the night. Jongdae was at peace. Seeing that even from beyond the grave his mother still provided comfort for him. The slight chill from the fall breeze nipped his bare chest and shoulders and he quickly shuffled back inside the warm house. He ran to the coffee pot and poured himself a cup. He turned to the refrigerator and pulled out the creamer and quickly mixed it in with the coffee, and placed it back into the fridge. He looked at his watch and quickly chugged down the scolding hot coffee and made his way to get changed upstairs to quickly get ready for the day. 

He looked at himself in the mirror by his closet and stared. He looked frail like a child who had been underfed. He quickly pulled a shirt over his head and grabbed a pair of jeans that laid on the floor by his bed. He quickly grabbed a light jacket, his glasses, and his phone and ran downstairs to leave. He quickly walked out of his house and made his way across the street to his store. He fiddled around with his keys before finally opening the store for the day. 

He ran to the back of the store quickly pulling out some boxes of the new antique's that he had received the day before. He sorted them out and placed them all around the shop. Baekhyun swung the front door open and shrugged his coat off before putting it on the rack.

"There you are how was Chaeyong's little birthday party last night?" Jongdae joked, to his obvious hungover brother.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and fixed his sweater before assisting his brother with the inventory boxes. 

"Trust me you don't want to know how many times Lisa threw up last night," He said, lifting the heavy boxes of antiques.

Jongdae cringed and continued to unload boxes. The bell of the front door rang as Baekhyun's longtime boyfriend made his way into the store. Baekhyun smiled and ran to his lover while Jongdae just smiled at the pair. They had been dating for two years and Jongdae definitely knew that the pair would end up together before they had even gone out on their first date. For a long time, Baekhyun had been a player and had promised himself that he would never settle down and live that typical life. That was until he met Chanyeol and fate took hold. Chanyeol helps Baekhyun be a better person and also helps him from making those bad choices that could potentially cost him his life. He was glad when Baekhyun finally found the person he needed most in life. 

"Chanyeol thank god you're here I saved the heavy boxes in the back for you buddy." He said joking, patting his back.

Chanyeol sighed and made his way back to the room.

"Can't you just use your witchy magic to do everything?" Chanyeol called out from the back room. 

The pair rolled their eyes and continued fixing their set up. 

"You know we can't do that we don't need another town board meetin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter