Byul-Yi

Afraid to Love (A WheeByul Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I had an endless night of dreams about Whee-in. The dreams playing one after another as if they were my own personal movie reel. Dreams of hugging her, kissing her, caressing her, and laughing with her again. Dreams of us being wrapped up in my sheets, skin to skin with the feeling of an euphoric high. I dreamed of her eyes, nose, lips, dimple, laugh, and touch. I dreamt of her drawings as well along with her possibly painting me. 

Whee-in who came to my cousin, Yong-sun's party, and stuck out like a rose among weeds. I had caught sight of her when she first arrived. She was clinging onto her friend with the silky black hair in a tight revealing dress. She had the look of a lost baby deer in her eyes as she came into the party. She walked in this awkward shuffle because she clearly wasn't comfortable in the heels on her feet. It had made me chuckle a bit. I had plans to go introduce myself to her but Yong-sun had quickly thrown me on bottle duty. I had lost sight of Whee-in after that. 

When she came rushing out the front door, I was startled. She had looked like she had just seen a ghost. Her feet wobbly in her heels. I couldn't see her face but I recognized that godawful sequin dress on her. I also recognized her by her short height and beautiful brown hair. I didn’t make it obvious that I noticed her. She seemed as though she needed to catch her breath. I thought she was drunk honestly especially as she stumbled a bit down those three steps.

I could totally tell she was checking me out too. She was so busy checking me out, she didn't notice I was checking her out as well. Jesus, she had this magnificent natural beauty with her innocent looking face. Her lips being small yet slightly plump. Her lips looked so kissable and her neck to her collarbones looked kissable as well. I was glad I was able to keep my cool and get her cheeks flushed with my words. 

"See you around, pretty." 

That is what I had said to her because it was true. Most girls would have already thrown themselves at my feet. Not to toot my own horn but I am Moon Byul-yi. I am the woman that girls on campus desired even if they swore they are ruler straight. I've gotten so many girls to throw themselves at me, it wasn't even fun anymore. 

At first it was thrilling to have all these girls after me. Especially the ones who pretended to be disgusted at the fact I'm a lesbian. They would eventually find an excuse to message me and suddenly want to experiment. I was the girl on campus who gave guys' girlfriends, their first and probably only lesbian experience. I basically could have any girl I wanted and I didn't even have to put in much effort. 

But Whee-in— My intentions weren't even to fall in love last night. I vowed off the whole idea of love and relationships after my toxic on and off relationship with Joo-hyun. The experience from that queen was that relationships were a waste of time and focus. Ever since we called a final quits, I hadn't even thought about love or girls. I just kept a few around for a quick hookup and monitored Yong-sun's parties. 

Whee-in somehow me in by her dark brown eyes. That mole under her eye being the perfect touch to her youthful yet gorgeous face. What made me even more drawn to Whee-in was the fact that she didn't even follow me back into the party. I was trying to seduce her and I had expected her to follow me, but she didn't.

It was the first girl ever to completely ignore my flirtation. I don't think I will be able to get her out of mind, no matter how hard I try. She is magnetic, a mystery that needs to be solved. I already miss her soft lips against mine as I force myself from under my covers. Why can't she be in my bed right next to me? I want to hear her contagious boisterous laughter once again. Why did she runaway from me? 

 I grab my phone off the nightstand by the side of my bed. It is just a little after 10 in the morning, I won't have class until later after lunch. It means I have the whole morning to go searching for Whee-in. I my dry lips as I open up Instagram. Thank goodness that social media exists. I swipe away all the notifications that are letting me know I've been tagged in party photos and that people are commenting on those photos. Who cares? I am looking for Whee-in. I click on my following page, I can't believe I follow 400+ people, I must think I am super cool.

"You're not." I mumble to myself as I click on the username @jungwhee_arts. 

There it is her art page. I hug my knees to my chest as I let my chin rest on them. I scroll down the 40 posts she has of all her art. Every drawing, painting, sketch, and photo is beautiful. If I swipe from her very first post to the latest, it shows how much she has improved. Her lines becoming more straight and less sloppy, her digital art showing more definition and shadowing. Even her signature has became more dignified and professional. If I was an art curator, I would be offering to buy every single thing on her Instagram page. Do I sound like a simp? Possibly. How can Jung Whee-in make art and life that much more beautiful? 

"Come on..." I mutter as I click onto the "message" button. 

What do I even say? I didn't even chase her last night. I mean I did, but Yong-sun came stumbling into the basement. She needed my help with shutting the party down along with cleaning up. I should have went after Whee-in, but I let her go because I didn't want to fight with Yong-sun. She gets a bit aggressive when drunk and has no problem smacking me in the head until I agree to help her. There was no way Yong-sun was going to let me run out the house without a fight. Damn my kickboxing cousin. 

I have to say something to Whee-in. I run my fingers through my purple locks as I stare at the empty messaging box. What should I even say? Should I tell her its me? Should I ask why she ran away? Should I ask to meet up with her? Why am I suddenly lacking the words to say? I am usually confident in sliding into DMs and messaging girls. Guys around the campus used to call me the "Slick DMer". Why is my slickness suddenly gone? 

Because I don't want to treat Whee-in like another conquest. I want her to know how much I like her and how much I want to see her again. My heart is racing so hard as I type out my message to her. I hope she will see it and agree to meetup with me after my class. 

@MoonByul1222: Hey, Pretty. It's Byul from the party. Do you have time to meet up with me today? I would really love to see you again.

I hope that my message will be enough to get Whee-in to respond to me. I really want to see her again. When those tears rolled down her cheeks, I felt my own heart breaking. It's obvious that she had been hurt by someone or something, I want to be the one to heal her heart. I want her to be able to run into my arms and cry into my chest. The feeling of her in my arms was one of the best feelings in the world. Her laughter being one of the best sounds in the world, it was better than any song written. Dammit, I have to see her again or I will go insane. 

I jump from the sudden sound of my phone ringing. Joo-hyun's face is dancing on the screen of my phone. I sigh deeply as I click the answer button, putting my phone up to my ear. 

"Byul! Where the hell are you?" Joo-hyun hisses in my ear.

"What? What are you talking about?" I respond, my eyebrows furrowing.

"Agh! You're so annoying. We have our film project to work on, remember?" 

. We do have a film project to work on together. Our professor is having the seniors of our filmography class produce and direct short films. Joo-hyun and I decided to work together since we knew each other best. We came into our film classes as freshmen together and became friends over our shared interest in film. I had one of the biggest crushes on her as a freshman, but I never confessed it. I just kept signing up for the classes she had and eventually she caught onto it when we were sophomores. 

She laughed in my face at first when she managed to get a confession out of me. She thought I was ridiculous for following her around and joining all the classes she took. I was ridiculous, I was following her like a lost puppy. I still remember how she laughed in my face, teasingly pulling me close to her. I should have known she was going to be toxic from that moment forward. but I couldn't let her go. Joo-hyun was one of the most beautiful girls on campus. She was naturally beautiful with all the correct facial features. She was stylish, intelligent, charismatic, and rich. She was someone every guy wanted to date and someone every girl wanted to be friends with. She always came to class with designer purses and shoes on. Her demeanor so strong, it even made some professors shake in their shoes.

I wasn't attracted to Joo-hyun because of her money. I was attracted to her because she was out of my league. When I was a freshman, I was a bit chubby with fringe bangs and this awkward sense of fashion. I had let Yong-sun style me since she claimed my tomboy look wouldn't fly in university. She would dress me up in these ugly dresses and skirts. I went along with it because I wanted to fit in. Anyway, Joo-hyun was out of my league and she was someone everyone knew about and wanted to be near. I viewed Joo-hyun as a challenge, something that would bring me up social ladder in university.

We didn't date until we were both juniors. I was much cooler by then. I had grown a rep for epic parties with Yong-sun, our family's wealth and social status increased due to their ties in record labels and more hotels. I had dropped Yong-sun's fashion advice and dressed handsomely. I would wear suits from Thom Browne and I had grown more handsome in the face. I lost all my baby fat and picked up on being a charming player. I had stopped chasing after Joo-hyun, which caused her to suddenly chase after me. I coolly brushed her off at first but eventually we ended up hooking up at a party and soon we were dating. We were a ing power couple on campus and no one dared to spew any of their distaste towards us. 

"Idiot, are we meeting up or not? We have to get started." Joo-hyun huffs in my ear.

"Y-yeah, my bad. Where are we supposed to meet again?" I answer.

"Meet me at the campus Starbucks. You'll buy me a frappe, right?" Joo-hyun says.

I roll my eyes and huff, "Will a frappe keep the away?" 

Joo-hyun snickers at my insult, "No. The always shows up around idiots."

Great. I have to deal with Joo-hyun's iness, "I'll buy you a frappe. Just try to contain the ." 

"Whatever. Hurry up."

The call ends and I fling myself from my bed. I cross my room and pull my closet open to look for clothes to wear. Why did I even agree to work with Joo-hyun again? Despite her ice princess personality and y attitude, she had a good eye for directing. Her and I were the top filmography students and when we work together, our work turns out to be quite stunning. I chose to work with her because there's no denying our creative genius together.

I throw on a pair of my Thom Browne slacks with a white V-neck t-shirt. I throw on my Thom Browne blazer as well. Since it's cold outside, I also wear a scarf and put on thermal socks. I quickly brush through my purple locks and throw on a black baseball cap. I give myself a once over glance in the mirror then go onto brush my teeth and wash my face. I am soon out of my luxury apartment and on the way to campus to meet up with Joo-h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter