Something New

The Heart's Reason

I felt my heart pumping like crazy from exhaustion and from the nervousness. I couldn’t even park my car correctly down the street but I could care less about it. I tried to run through the hallways while looking at the numbers of the rooms. I remembered the front desk had told me it was number 129 where my father was resting in. Passing room 118, I turned at the corner. As I did, I slammed my hands against the wall to halt myself from knocking into it. By the time I got to the end, I was already heaving a few breaths. I cautiously looked up at the small metal plate. There was his name, printed so neatly, and I was scared.

Right then, what made me jump was someone who suddenly opened the door. I didn’t expect for my father to have any visitors and of course, it was a doctor followed by a nurse. He looked at me questioningly, as if he was wondering who I was to be standing there. He sent the nurse away and looked at the small clipboard in his hands.

“Are you a relative of Kim Hyunmu?”

“I’m his daughter. How is he?”

“Were you aware of his state?”

“No...”

“He wasn’t taking any medications, so it has led to ischaemic heart disease.”

“How is that possible? He doesn’t smoke or drink. He doesn’t even have diabetes.”

“The high risk factor may be from family history. I recommend you to receive a full examination.”

“… What will happen to him now?”

“I’m sorry but it’s much too late. You’ll have to prepare yourself for the worst. He only has a few months left.”

“What? That can’t be possible! He’s only 46! It doesn’t make sense!”

“I’m sorry. He’s very weak so it’s best if you don’t make too much of a racket.” With that, the guy in the fancy white coat walked away. For some reason, he seemed very annoying to me.

I carefully opened the door not wanting to make a noise. Afraid the tiniest squeak would disturb the fragile body. Closing it behind me, I stood there stiffly. I could hear everything; the air humidifier, me breathing, and low vibrating sounds from the vents. The darkness amplified everything. Only the light above the head of bed was . I was able to see my father’s pale face and it pained me. He looked so weak and sick. I was more upset at the fact I can’t do anything for him to make him heal and live a long life. I slid across the room with my feet brushing against the floor. I sat down on the stool next to my father’s side and held onto his hand tightly. I forced myself to hold in the water in my eyes and the sob waiting to burst from my lips. Finally everything came out at once; the tears, the whimpers, and eventually the headache from crying too much. Memories of all the father-daughter moments began to sprout inside my head.

“Dad… Remember the time you brought me outside to McDonalds to help me avoid from Mom on report card day? That was the first time I saw you as my hero. We both laughed so hard when we got shocked for seeing Mom standing there at the entrance. Because of that, we got into more trouble…”

“I still remember when you squeezed my hand at Mom’s funeral. That was all it took to know I was going to be fine. You were there for me, dad. You made me feel safe.”

“I don’t think you know but I saw you pacing back and forth at the father-daughter party. You tried to practice by yourself, it was really funny. But I wanted to let you know that… I was touched… I know how much you’ve been through to raise a girl all by yourself but this is too fast. You can’t leave me this early. It’s not fair…”

“Hyunjin-ah… Hyunjin-ah?”

The gentle croaky voice made my eyes flutter awake. I didn’t realize I was sleeping. I was probably too tired from the stress, I felt drained. I knew I cried every drop of water inside my body. I realized someone was calling my name and getting my hopes up, I looked at my father. I guess heaven was really listening to me. I was smiling but the smile felt so sad.

“Dad! Are you okay? Should I go call the doctor?”

“No, no need.” He swallowed his spit difficulty.

“Your throat might be dry, here, let me.” With that, I turned myself quickly to pour him a glass of water I got earlier from a nurse passing by. “Drink it.” Holding his neck up, I helped him.

“Thank you, sweetheart.”

After putting the cup back on the stand, I turned to him, giving him my full attention. “Are you sure you’re going to be okay?”

“I’m positive… I just want to talk to you…”

“About what? I’m all ears.”

“Everything… I don’t think we ever had the time to just talk…”

“Okay, you start then.”

“I want to see you get married...”

I flinched. I wanted to fulfill his wishes but to get married in a matter of a few months was going to be difficult. Well maybe not, if Taecyeon came early. I’m sure he’d marry me. “Before you do, you’ll have to recover fully right?”

“We both know… That’s not going to happen…”

“…”

“Although I want to see you become a beautiful bride, twenty is still too early… I want to see your boyfriend then. I know you have one, Hyunjin.”

I also wanted for my dad to meet Taecyeon but he was away…

“I’m sure he didn’t leave you by yourself here.”

“Yep, he just went outside to buy a couple things for me to eat since I’m sleeping here…”

“You’re not eating properly?”

“I think this is an exception dad…” I appreciated him so much at the moment. I loved Taecyeon for being incredibly alike as my dad. Both of them were so dependable and trustworthy. Tears started coming back up, I felt so thankful. Then the door opened, catching both of us off guard.

It was a beautiful boy with blonde hair.

“This must be the lucky man, huh?”

My eyes widened, “What? N-“

“Nichkhun Horvejkul, that’s my name, sir.” He cut off what I was going to say. I was about to speak up again to say he was a weirdo but my dad already seemed like he was interested in this Nichkhun guy.

“Hyunjin-ah, why don’t you go sit over there? We’re going to have a little talk.”

“Dad-“

“I think that’s a good idea, Hyunjin… Leave this to me.” Who the heck was this guy to speak so informally with me? He doesn’t know me. I sure don’t know him. What’s happening here? I raised my hands up in defeat. This was going to perfect. Thank goodness, I could still hear everything. As I listened in to their conversation, nothing too strange was going on. This Nichkhun guy would be very successful if he pursued a career in the acting department. He pretended he was my boyfriend. I don’t normally like lying, especially directly to my father, but it was… alright. The two laughed as if they already had inside jokes. It was sweet.

When it looked like they were finishing up, I cut in immediately. “Dad, you need your rest. Nichkhun? I need you to follow me outside.”

“Hyunjin-ah, Nichkhun’s a good guy. He sounds like a respectful man who can take on responsibilities.”

“Oh does he? I’m sure.” I faked a smile. What was this stranger’s deal?

“I know it’s bewildering but I thought it was significant for me to step in.”

“I appreciate the help but… I really don’t understand where you fit into all this.”

“I’m actually the one who found your dad on the streets. He had a heart attack.”

“Really,” my eyes bulged realizing the world still had its nice people. “I thank you so much for that then…”

“It’s no problem really. I apologize but I eavesdropped earlier so I figured, I might come in handy again.”

“Oh… I’m somewhat glad you thought that much for us but it was unnecessary.”

“Yeah I kind of figured. I have the type of personality that can’t help but aid others. You know, I think your dad would enjoy a happier version of yourself. It would make him feel a lot more comfortable.”

“Yeah, I’m with you on that…” After a few more minutes of silence, I blurted out, “I have a boyfriend already.”

“I expected that.”

“Oh…”

“You’re a pretty girl with a nice heart. It’s not all that weird for someone to snatch you already.”

I smiled; he wasn’t too shabby in my opinion. “You should go, it’s really late. And thank you.”

“Dad, why aren’t you sleeping yet?” I saw the corners of my dad’s mouth go up, it trembled. I didn’t like the feeling of this. Why did this feel so unsettling?

“Hyunjin-ah, sweetie, I think I can go in peace…”

“… Don’t say that dad. You’re scaring me.”

“You’re in good hands and I don’t need to worry about you anymore. You’re all grown up.”

“Dad… You’re upsetting me… Stop it.”

“It’s life sweetheart.”

“The doctor said you still have time. Let’s fill it out till the end, you and me together.”

“I’ve already been struggling… A person can only do so much…”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! STOP! DON’T TAKE HIM!” As if my soul had escaped me, I felt so empty. The emotions poured out never ending; anger, frightened, insecure, robbed, lied to, confused, and powerless. I was lonely... On the ground, Nichkhun held me in his arms. They felt like dads. This must be what comfort is…

HEADS UP ⌡
This chapter was mostly about Hyunjin with her father and the first entrance of Nichkhun. From now on, it’ll be now focused on Hyunjin and the two boys. I’m so excited to get started on it. I know where the future of this story is going to go, so I can say proudly that it will go smoothly. I’m still wondering who Hyunjin should end up with since I love twists. Leave some love people! ;D

signing out,
мιηιввσηg