FOUR

As seen through my lenses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey.” Irene just got out of the building, with Wendy opening the car door for her and, to Wendy’s surprise, Irene wrapped her arms around her. “Where have you been?”

Wendy’s body tensed— and it wasn’t because of the butterflies in her stomach. She was surprised and confused because, all so suddenly, Irene initiated. Still unable to process everything, Wendy awkwardly hugged her back. “Went to Jennie’s. Shot a few clips to be used. Did I not tell you that this morning?”

Irene pulled back from the hug, their eyes locked. “It must have slipped my mind. I’m sorry.”

Removing her hands that were resting on Irene’s waist, Wendy moved a step away from Irene. She has known her ever since 11th grade and Wendy can feel that something’s wrong... that something is going on— however, she could not pinpoint what it is. So instead, she shakes the thought away. “Let’s go?”

“Yeah” Car rides with Irene were never uncomfortable. In fact, car rides with Irene has always been one of Wendy’s highlights of the day— that even if it was just small talks and Irene humming to the songs played, it was already enough. But now, Wendy is close to losing her mind with how silent the car ride is. Honestly, this silence is making her mind drift to the woman who opens at every chance she gets, who bickers with Wendy endlessly and would blast the volume as she sings to her heart’s content.

Jennie rolled down the window, turning the volume up “ohhh! I love this song. One of my favorite english songs.” Jennie clasped her hand and cleared — gearing for her sing-a-long. “LOOK AT HER AND HAVE TO SMILE AS WE GO DRIVING FOR AWHILE!”

“Yah! You’re embarrassing!” Wendy tried to shut her up by covering Jennie’s mouth with her right hand. “Shut up, Jennie.”

She slapped Wendy’s hand, removing it, before responding, “You must be fun at parties, Son. Come on. I know you like this song too!” Jennie went back to singing with her hand raised near , as if she was holding a microphone, “Come on, Wendy Son. Sing with me!”

Wendy laughed at the other’s play antics and finally joining Jennie. “And I’ve got all that I need.. right here in the passenger’s seat.” she quickly glanced at Jennie, “And I can’t keep my eyes on the road.. knowing that she’s inches from me.”

And it clicked now. Car Rides with Irene used to be her favorite.

But it was Irene who cut off the silence, “My grandfather wants to meet you. Well, he wants you to meet the rest of the clan. So he is inviting you this Thursday, it’s a company dinner party.”

Wendy almost snapped her neck with how fast she turned her head to face Irene. Thank God the traffic lights blared red: okay, 60 seconds. “I’m sorry but what? All of a sudden?”

Irene and her were now face to face. Instead of answering, Irene asks her back “What’s with the reaction? Isn’t this a good news for you? You’ve been chasing me for years. Shouldn’t you be happy?”

With the way Irene replied, Wendy was even more confused, offended and a bit hurt. But still, this is Irene— so Wendy let it be and only let out a scoff, bringing her attention back to the road, and silent prayed for the seconds to go faster. As she wonders what changed and what’s with the sudden shift of air? “Yeah. You’re right.. that’s... that’s good news. Yeah.” Wendy wonders how many times she’ll have to convince herself that.

Dinner was okay but, with just one dinner night, Irene had already noticed something different in Wendy. Gone was the loving stares or the random questions because of her random thoughts. It was like Wendy had stopped reaching out to her. Was it because of what I said awhile ago?, Irene asked herself.

“Goodnight.” Wendy unlocked the passenger seat, not moving from the driver’s seat— no plans of opening the door for Irene, like she usually does. “Irene...”

Irene, however, did not budge. “I’m sorry about what I said awhile ago. It was very insensitive of me.” she paused, hoping to get a respond from Wendy— but nothing followed. So instead, Irene continues. “Wan, I’ve noticed and you’ve been off the past few days. You’re acting weird.”

Wendy remained mum.

“Can you atleast say something, Son Seungwan?”

Wendy gulped, gathering all her courage before she finally asks Irene what she had been meaning to ask an hour ago. “I’m just tired.” however, that was all that came out of . Wendy looked away, “I’m sorry if I’ve been off. Just been extra tired these days... that’s all.”

“Okay.” But Irene knows better than to believe that. So before making her way out of Wendy’s car, she turned to her. “I hope you’re not getting tired of me though. I hope there’s nobody else, Wendy.”

“There’s nobody else, Rene.” but, after the car door has been slammed shut, Wendy ran a hand through her hair. She gripped the steering wheel tightly as questions begun to flood. Why did it feel like lying? Why does being around Irene seem restricting and suffocating? Why does she have a lot of questions when Irene was suppose to hold all the answers?

Irene tore her eyes away from Wendy’s car, making her way inside her residence. Again, the emptiness of their villa welcomes her. Her personal assistant took her bag from her hand, “Welcome home, young miss.”

“Are my parents home?” still sounding hopeful even with all the disappointments. Sadly, her personal assistant could only answer with a sad smile. Irene blinked away the tears, “Ofcourse...”

After her older sister died, things had went spiral in the Bae Household. Irene became the blame for her sister’s death— the receiving end of her parents’ frustrations. Even at an early age, they ridiculed her for not being enough— for never being half as good as her sister. And so she worked hard to earn her parents’ approval by focusing more on her studies to earn the top place, running for Council President to take the highest position and pushing herself further even when she’s being pushed around.

“It’s your sister’s death anniversary tomorrow.”

“I know. I remember.” Irene sighed, “You’re one of those people who have been with me the longest, miss Kim. Do you think I’m being too selfish?”

“What’s with the question, young miss?”

“Am I being selfish for wanting something that I’ve been praying since?” Irene could feel a painful throb in . It’s like things does not seem to get her way. “I end up hurting other people all because I want my parents to appreciate me. I want my parents to know that everything I do, I do it for them.”

The assistant could only give the young miss a look of pity. She had been with the Baes ever since Irene was still an infant and she has seen how her bosses transitioned into different people. At this point, Irene thinks the world does not want to see her happy. Every single day, she carries the burden of her sister’s death, the pressure from her grandfather and wanting to be enough for her parents.

“You know what’s worse? There is this someone.” Irene smiled bitterly, still holding her tears. “And I believe I’m losing her too.”

“Unnie!” little Joohyun yelled, shaking her sister’s arm— praying and hoping that she’d wake up. But she watches as the body gets paler as time passes. “Please, wake up. Wake up. Mommy and daddy will be here.. please please.. they will arrive soon. Hold on a little longer... please.”

“Come here, young miss.” Miss Kim pulled the little girl away from the already lifeless body. The doctor and nurses could only offer a sad look to the devastated land broken ittle Joohyun.

“Unnie, do you think I don’t deserve to be happy? I feel lost...” Irene says to the air, sitting down near the pool area and enjoying a cup of hot chocolate. Hoping her sister would show up in her dreams tonight and give her answers. “I still wish you were here, Taeyeon. Things would have been different... thin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter