SIX

As seen through my lenses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jisoo is hosting a dinner party at one of her family’s owned restaurants, the hostess rightly earned her spot as the batch’s only magna laude. Abruptly standing up and raising the shot glass , Jisoo says, “I think I’m drunk now but I still like to extend my thanks to the people here because you were with me in every step of the way! , I topped the PolSci department!”

The rest laughs. Like always, Lisa joins in Jisoo’s antics to add more fun— not to mention, both already had too much alcohol. Lisa points her index finger to Jisoo, “You’re going to be one of the best lawyers! I can feel it!” then she turns to Jennie, “And you too, Jennie Kim!”

Jennie smiled at the two drunks then, when she took her eyes off Jisoo and Lisa, who were now dancing along to this random k-pop song, she accidentally made eye contact with Wendy. In panic, Jennie immediately brings her attention to her already empty plate. She was sitting on the seat farthest from where Irene and Wendy are— making sure she fulfills her promise of keeping her distance.

“Your department’s graduation is in two days, right? What are your plans after your graduation, Jen?” It was Seulgi who asked.

Jennie noticed that all eyes were now on her. “Taehyung and I are going back to New Zealand.” the news seem to surprise her friends, especially Irene and Wendy. Before someone asks why, Jennie smiles sheepishly, “My brother and I have been living off with what our parents left for us. Considering our lifestyle and the tuition fees for both medical and law schools, we need our grandparents’ for additional financial support. In exchange, they want us to stay with them there.”

Irene’s shoulders dropped. Jennie and her have not been in speaking terms since and, all of a sudden, Jennie drops this news.

Jennie continues, her eyes looking at Wendy and Irene, as she jokingly says, “Got to land myself some high paying job because not all of us are heiresses.”

Their friends share a laugh while Irene, still feeling a bit awkward, could only reply with a small smile. Irene did glance at Wendy and, she may wished she had not because, the look in Wendy’s face as she stares at Jennie sends a sting in the heiress’ chest. Irene’s not as passive as they say she is. She noticed the lingering stares, Wendy holding her breath whenever Jennie’s around— Irene knows all of those all too well... ofcourse, she’s used to  be a receiving end. Wendy looks at Jennie differently now. It like, whatever Irene failed to give, Wendy is seeking it from Jennie.

“Well, if you excuse me, I need to go to the bathroom.” Jennie wiped the corners of with the table napkin before standing up, excusing herself from her friends with a smile.

Wendy’s eyes followed Jennie and, ofcourse, Irene noticed. As selfish as it may seem, Irene reached out for Wendy’s hand, intertwining their fingers. Wendy, shocked at the sudden contact, looked at Irene with her face full of confusion. As for Irene, she may rarely show her emotion but, this time, with her eyes pleading Wendy to stay and the alcohol playing with her, she tightens her hold on Wendy’s hand. She softly whispers, “I’m here.”

It was quarter to 10 when the rest decided to go for another bottle but, seeing that Irene couldn’t seem to take another round, Wendy excused herself and Irene. “You..” Irene whispered under her breath with Wendy’s arm on her waist, supporting her as they make their way to the Bae’s front door. Irene lightly pushed Wendy off, pressing her index finger on Wendy’s chest. “You’re a ing liar. A ing liar..”

“Joohyun.” Wendy expected this. If there’s anything that could get Irene to talk, it’d be the alcohol.

Irene clicked her tongue, “Must have felt nice to kiss my bestfriend. Are you too deprived of those that you decided to shove your tongue in—“

“Joohyun.” low and seem to be warning the other girl.

“You were supposed to wait for me!” Irene yelled, she could feel her frustration starting to build up. As for Wendy, she kept quiet, holding herself back, letting Joohyun pour it all out. This is the first time Wendy has seen Irene like this. “You’re mine, Seungwan! I did not keep you around for years only for this to happen!”

Wendy bit the inside of her cheeks, trying her best to remain calm. “Are you hearing yourself?” softly speaking, making her sound broken. “You’re treating me like some possession, Hyun.” 

At the very moment, both looked vulnerable. Irene let the walls around her crumble down while Wendy, she is trying her best to hold her ground, pushing her will to speak up. For once, she wants to have a say.

“I know it’s hard for you, Joohyun..” Wendy whispered, “but what about me? All those years... did you even think of me? Has it always been about you?”

Irene remain silent.

Wendy continues. “Five years, Joohyun! For all those five years, I always put you first! And for all those five years, I did not have a single clue on what you feel about me...” Wendy voice cracked, “—about us.”

Irene fears she might crumble down at any moment, so places both of her hands on Wendy’s shoulders, tightly holding on to Wendy for support. When their eyes met, it was Wendy who showed her tears. Irene stutters as she struggles with the painful lump in , “Seungwan..”

Wendy sighed, she looks defeated. “That’s because you actually never really felt it back, right?”

“What? It’s not like that.” Irene looked at Wendy with eyes almost pleading. Irene’s scared that the next time she opens , she says the wrong thing and Wendy would finally leave her. “I’m just scared and confused, Wan. I need time—“

“How many more years do you need then? Because I’m getting tired, Joohyun. I’m getting tired of being pushed aside, stuck in the waiting line, and only to be picked up whenever you want to.” Wendy put some distance between them, turning her back against Irene. She clenched her jaw tightly, looking ahead with an intent to walk away.

”Son Seungwan.”

But how exactly do you walk away from someone you’d been inlove with for five years?

“Son Seungwan!” Irene called out again. She knew she’s long far gone in this whole charade and selfish games of her but Irene couldn’t bear to be left behind again. “If you take one more step then that’s it. No more.”

Wendy brought her hand up to her face, wiping the tears away. She was frustrated at Irene for being selfish but she was more frustrated at herself for not being able to walk away. Still, as they are entangled in this mess, Wendy could not easily leave her. “You really like to turn things around.” Wendy sighed, maybe a short glance back at Irene wouldn’t change her mind— a glance wouldn’t hurt. No one would have expected they’d be at this point: broken and tired. Looking back to where Irene’s standing, Wendy whispers under her breath, “You— you are so ing selfish.”

Back at the restaurant, Seulgi stood up from her seat, walking towards where Jennie was. The alcohol’s effect long gone and, after coming back to her senses and leaving their friends to enjoy another round, she decided to join Jennie. “I received a text from Wendy. They have arrived safely.” she said, now standing beside Jennie who had been staring at the view. “Thought you might want to know.”

“Did she tell you?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Seulgi trailed off but she remembers the number of times Jennie swooped in during Irene’s absence. Seulgi first thought it was merely coincidence but it happened too often to be labeled as one. “But whatever deep you three are in, in the first place, you should have not involved yourself with Irene and Wendy.”

Jennie scoffs. Seulgi, being Wendy’s bestfriend, is the last person she expected to have this talk with and they aren’t exactly the closest despite having a number of mutual friends.

“Wendy’s confusing. Between us four, that girl is the hardest to undersand.” Seulgi followed Jennie’s gaze, now letting herself enjoy the beautiful night view outside. “But I couldn’t blame her. She grew up dictated by what the Sons want. Being ordered around is the only thing she knows. Then comes Irene who like to have things her way— boom, you get a weird pair.”

“But it’s toxic.”

“It is but they are Wendy and Irene. No matter how ty it gets, Wendy could never leave Irene and Irene would not let Wendy leave her.”

Jennie placed her hands on the window frame. “Just so you know, I had no intention on taking Wendy away from her. I never wanted to come between them because Irene is family. Even at how much she changed, Irene is still family.”

Seulgi lightly laughs, “I know. Also, just so you know, it has been awhile since I noticed that something was going on.”

Jennie’s eyes widened, turning her head to Seulgi’s direction. “Really?” then Jennie’s phone rang, cutting their talk short. Jennie smiles apologetically at her while Seulgi gave a nod in return. Jennie brought her phone up her ear, “Taehyung? Ah yes yes. I’ll be out in 5 minutes.”

Seulgi could only watch as Jennie leaves her after giving a lazy wave. She shakes her head lightly, st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter