FIVE

As seen through my lenses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What the is he doing here?” Taehyung could not believe his eyes. Thinking that his sister’s ex had the audacity to show up in front of their house after what happened. “Jen, stay in the car. I’ll handle him.”

“Holy motherer.” Jennie, however, did not listen to her brother and was the first one to step out of the already parked car— blinking rapidly to make sure that she was not imagining things and that the person standing 10 meters away from her is really Kai. Taehyung, always the protective brother, immediately turned off the engine and followed Jennie. The other Kim sibling noticed her brother getting agitated. “Tae, calm down..”

When Kai was approaching his sister, Taehyung stood in front of Jennie— not letting Kai take another step closer to his twin. “Bold of you to show up in front of our house after you ing disappeared. What the are you doing here, Jongin?”

“I just want to clear up a few things with Jennie.”

Taehyung pushed the other guy. “Clear up what? What for, ? After disappearing for almost a year? After we found out that you cheated on her?” Taehyung clenched and unclenched his jaw. He saw how devastated Jennie was that night she found out about Kai’s affair. “That reminds me. I never got to ruin that pretty face of yours. Let me just throw one ing punch for what you caused!”

“Taehyung.” Jennie held his arm, gripping it tightly. “It’s not worth it.”

“I just want to talk.” Kai looked at Jennie, his eyes were pleading. “Please, Jen.”

Taehyung brows were almost knitted when he and Jennie‘s eyes came in contact. That look in Jennie’s face scares him— Jennie looked like she would give in to Kai’s request. But the last thing that Taehyung wants is to see Jennie spiral out of control for love. He had seen it once, he does not want to see it again. Taehyung, with his voice stern, said, “Jen, don’t. There’s nothing left to discuss.”

“You and I both know that we have a lot of things to discuss, Jen.” Kai was not going to give up. It took him months to gather his confidence to finally face Jennie again. “Please, Jen.”

“Get the out of here, Jongin.” Taehyung took his phone out of his pocket, about to threaten the guy. “before I call for security.”

“This isn’t your choice to make, Taehyung. Let Jennie decide on her own.”

“Jennie’s my sister, —“

Jennie cut Tae off, “Two hours. That’s the maximum time that I can give you.” Jennie finally looks back at her ex-boyfriend. Taehyung’s mouth agape, he’d never expect that Jennie would still spare this douchebag her time. Taking her hand off Taehyung’s hold, Jennie could only offer her brother a small smile before she walks towards Jongin. “I can handle myself, V. Let Jungkook come over for dinner. Don’t wait up.”

“Jen..” Taehyung’s worries were coming back.

Jennie whispers to her brother, “Trust me.” Jennie turns to her former lover— her first love. Even just the sight of Kai, despite everything that happened between them and Kai disappearing without leaving a good note, was already enough to open wounds. Jennie swallowed the painful lump in and hates the fact that, after all those months of convincing herself that she’s fine and putting extra effort to take Kai out of her mind, it only takes Jongin 5 minutes to reel her back to the start.

     Irene and Wendy were seated on the backseat of the car— with Irene’s personal driver driving them to tonight’s event. No one dared to talk and both were just looking outside of the window, distracting themselves. However, nearing arrival, Irene broke the ice. “My grandfather and the rest will be there. I’ll introduce you to them and, as much as possible, can we act normal around them? Can you atleast pretend that we’re fine?”

Wendy forced herself to let out a small laugh, “Years and years of chasing after you and I still don’t get you, Joohyun. Who are you really?”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s like I don’t even know you at all. You changed, Hyun. Like, all of a sudden, you transitioned into a completely different person.”

“Come to think of it, Seungwan. Is it just me who changed?” Irene turned to her, meeting Wendy’s eyes. Irene was emotionless with her lips pressed into a thin line. Wendy was the first one to look away, “I mean, all of a sudden, you’re taking interest in Jennie. Out of all the people, Wendy, you had to go for Jennie. What kind of ing joke is that?”

Wendy’s throat went dry upon hearing the other girl’s name. “Where is that even coming from?”

As Irene was about to say her reply, the car stops— they have arrived their destination. Closing her eyes for a bit, Irene lets out a sigh. She mentally pictures the event, the influential people that her family has invited over and the cameras everywhere. With that in mind, she puts on a smile on her face. As if she was a different person, Irene turns to Wendy. “Ready to go?”

Wendy’s eyes were filled with sadness. She was sure that this is not the Irene that she was very much attracted to. “Ready.”

Growing up in an influential and powerful household, Irene learned to put on a different mask for the public view and so Irene smiles for the press, for the cameras around her and for her future business partners. Wendy could only walk behind Irene, pretending they are fine, as Irene introduces her to other big and influential people from the business world.

“Pops,” Irene hugged the old man. “As you requested, I brought Wendy along.”

Her grandfather showed a wide grin, happy at sight of Wendy Son. Someone whom he thinks would fit well in their family. “Ah! My future granddaughter-in-law!” he chuckled, “Irene made a good choice this time huh. You’d be a great addition to the family, Wendy Son.”

“Pops,” Irene whispered under her breath. She shortly glanced at Wendy, the other woman seem uncomfortable. So for the rest of the night, Irene did all the talking, all Wendy had to do is smile and nod her head— it painfully reminds Wendy of how Mr. and Mrs. Son, her foster parents, see her.

Adopted at the age of 10, the Son couple already made it clear that she’s their future investment. “We will give you everything you want, Wendy.” her foster mother tells her. The couple were, unfortunately, unable to procreate due to health complications. Even at the young age, she was already able to grasp and understand how the world of the Sons revolve. At an early age, they feed you with ambitions and goals. At an early age, Wendy already picked up a camera. “All we need is someone to continue the legacy. Someone to continue the production co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter