Of What I Lost

Chasing Ghosts

When Jongho had specifically warned Ara about placing a wager without actual conditions, he had feared she'd entirely forgot about how such things could have loopholes. 

One, he was going to kill her for having a different plan behind his back all along.

Two, the only condition was that he'd leave the house without harm. Nothing was promised about what could happen after.

And so he wasn't surprised that the moment he was brought away from the coven house, the witches had him tied up and gagged again, as if seeing him struggle and kick was their form of sadistic entertainment. And at the worst convenience of all, located next to the house was the canal of the Grimm Market, filled with its boat houses and murky waters. 

"And I thought all faeries were good dancers," the red-headed witch mocked. 

"Go on, stupid fey, hop along!" another one squaled, and Jongho glared. They were shoving him closer to the ledge with their daggers pointed towards him, he was outnumbered at this point. Anxiously, Jongho glanced down below where he had been led all the way to the bridge. The moon shone from above and with the infernal rackett from the witches, other denizens of the market began peering out their windows, pushing past their blinds.

There was no other option, and Jongho could only hope the water was clean enough to swim in.

He jumped.

The reality was worser than he had expected, he entered the canal with a loud splash, the laughter of the witches the last thing he heard; Thankfully enough, they didn't do a very good job at knots so he was able to wriggle free after a few attempts. With every catch of his breath up the surface, he could see the slither of city buildings ahead, indicating he was a good distance away from the Grimm Market and so far, he still hadn't lost a limb to any predatory water creatures like kelpies. 

Though he also doubted any kelpies would try to eat him, knowing who he was and he couldn't hide that either. 

But the water was cloudy as it was hard to swim in, with each passing moment he couldn't help but think of what lay below, whatever dead stuff had been thrown into the canal and he almost gagged. There was even the underlying stench of blood, and acid. I really am going to kill Ara, he cursed.

And as he was gradually losing consciousness, his legs almost giving away; He felt the current grow stronger, as if he was getting pulled through the waters despite not putting in much effort. Half in a daze, he wondered, was he going mad?

But at the very second where he somehow had reached land, Jongho knew he wasn't going mad.

He coughed out the disgusting canal water, which had been a minimal because he had made sure to keep his mouth closed at all times—and realized the pebbled land he was lying on looked familiar. The very graveled shores inside Aurora Square, where he used to skip rocks when he was a kid. 

Blinking, he looked around, at the mismatched cobblestone buildings he grew up knowing. He had somehow safely returned to his home. 

"It was our honour aiding you, your Highness,"  a collective voice said out of nowhere, much to Jongho's surprise and he turned to look back at the canal and caught a glimpse of movement. Two tails about to disappear under the water. 



"There'd better be a good reason for dragging me out of bed at three in the morning," Elise yawned.

But Mingi couldn't be that calm, he was pacing on the sidewalk of the Square near the indoor riverbank. Elise was in a grey hoodie and sweatpants; her hair was slightly tousled and not in any designer clothes or makeup which was understandable. Embarassingly, Mingi actually preferred this version of her, stripped down and open—he felt his cheeks flush while thinking about it. There were more pressing issues at hand. 

"Look I panicked, I'm sorry for calling you out so late I wasn't thinking straight," he admitted meekly. "I didn't know who else to turn to,"

With that comment Elise seemed slightly bemused, she crossed her arms."Hmm, if it's something urgent enough to make you this distraught, then it must be serious. Though I don't appreciate you making me miss my bedtime, I guess you turning to me at times of crisis does make me feel somewhat important. So tell me, what happened?"

And so Mingi told her everything, from the sudden call from Yunho, his urgentness and last message before ending the call. Despite not knowing Yunho that well, Elise seemed concerned as well. None of this made sense. 

"Well, Zoya did say something about vampires one's blood improves circulation and senses. Maybe whatever spell he was under malfunctioned a bit and now he's aware of what's going on?" she said.

Mingi sighed, "Maybe, I just hope he's okay. I can't break him out of that house without looking suspicious, and who knows whether Serafia has already found out about it?"

Elise squeezed his arm, "Judging by what he told you, I'm pretty sure Yunho is aware of the situation he's in at the moment. He'll be careful around her, he's not stupid right?"

Mingi nodded, reluctantly, "He's smarter than I am. But Serafia isn't an idiot either, that's what I'm worried about. I was wondering if you any better ideas to help Yunho—"

"Is that..." Elise was squinting her eyes as she pointed towards the river bank below them, to where the archway loomed over and the waters were still. "Is someone crawling up from there?"

Mingi looked towards where she was pointing, and his eyes widened. Trudging on the pebbled shore, was Jongho dripping wet as he struggled to his feet. A crowd was beginning to form along the stone barrier fence, despite it being this late, mumbling at the sight of him. Instinctively, Mingi was already making his way across the barrier; He swung his legs over to the other side to where Jongho was, with Elise calling out his name in frustrated fashion. 

He reached for Jongho and supported him with his arm. The other boy broke into a shocked expression, "Mingi?" he groaned. 

"Jongho, what is going on? Where have you and Ara been?" and he almost gagged at the putrid smell of the water clinging to Jongho. "I've been looking everywhere for you two!" Mingi wrinkled his nose before continuing. "And also, Yunho—"

"-is alive, I know," Jongho grunted. His breathing was heavy as they both trudged up the shore. Mingi then wondered what exactly had Jongho gotten himself into to be in this state, and then it dawned on him: This was most definitely connected to Ara, who happened to be missing now as well. And Jongho's next response answered his question. "We heard about Serafia too,"

"Speaking about 'we', let me guess, Ara's in trouble again?" 

Jongho still had the energy to roll his eyes, "Obviously. Look there's a lot to explain right now and I'm exhausted,"

"Should we get you to your grandparents?"

"No," he cut off as Mingi helped him climb over the barrier, where surprisingly Elise had held out her hand, albeit covering her nose and mouth, for Jongho to hold onto even if this was the first time they were actually meeting. "They'll know where I've gone, I can't go back tonight,"

"I remember you, you were at the revel with Mingi and the other girl," Elise said, then she widened her eyes. "You were the one speaking to Prince Septimus, are you part of the High Court—"

"Let's not talk about that for now," Jongho interrupted. He looked around the square, people had left but a few were still giving him mindful stares. He lowered his head, "I can't let them see me, or they'll know who I am and the news'll get out,"

"My place then?" Mingi suggested. 

"Are you out of your mind?" it was Elise who said that. "We can't have him leaving sewer water all over the hotel lobby! It'll make people suspicious,"

Mingi frowned, "But what other options do we have? I don't suppose he can crash at your place then?"

"Obviously not," she clucked, and considered for a moment before turning her keen eyes on Jongho again. "You are affiliated with the Seelie Court, yes? Like me?" and she showed Jongho her necklace to prove her point. "Then you must have a token like this,"

Jongho was lost, "I-, I don't have that,"

Elise was firm, "I'm trying to help here. We can ask the Court for aid, but we'll have to prove ourselves,"

"He doesn't need to," Mingi said.

"But he can't just waltz into Faerie and expect help—"

"He definitely can," Mingi said, and Jongho looked at him alarmingly. He knew he didn't want more people knowing, but Mingi honestly felt like that was the least of their priorities now. "He's a prince of the Rose Court, I think they're obligated to help him. You said you know the openings to Faerie, then lead the way," he told Elise and he shifted more of Jongho's weight on his side when he felt the other boy growing limper by the minute. 

Elise, who was still processing the information, blinked before reacting. "Y-yes, follow me," and she hurried down the cobblestones, with Mingi and Jongho in tow.



"Do you like the steak?"

All throughout dinner, or rather a very late and heavy supper, Yunho was even finding it hard to swallow. Sitting right next to him, at the end of the table was Serafia, cutting into the slice of steak served by Letitia. So far she hadn't noticed anything different, Yunho hoped she wasn't pretending as well. 

He cleared his throat before forcing the food down his throat, and he forced out a chuckle, "It's perfect, medium rare is always the best," he answered. Serafia seemed to nod in agreement. 

"So, how was your day?" she asked nonchalantly as she continued eating. "Did Mingi show you any more of his absurd claims?"

Yunho's knuckles turned white under the table. Before this, he would've told her everything like an obedient slave but somehow now he had the ability to hold back. She knew about Mingi trying to convince him of everything, he was in a way her little spy. He had control over it now. 

He put down his fork, and took a sip from his glass. "Honestly, I think he's given up," he followed up with a bemused smile. "Yesterday he was talking about stuff like Faerieland and ghosts and all that, I didn't get it though," he sighed inwardly as he watched Serafia eye him intensely. How could have he been so oblivious this entire time? She was practically preying on him like a savage predator. "So we went to the arcade again today, because I wanted him to stop talking about it,"

Serafia faked her laugh, "Goodness, I hope he'll come to terms about this soon. And I thought all those years abroad and those therapy sessions would've healed him," and she settled her knife down and touched Yunho's face. 

He almost jerked her hand away. Almost. 

"All I wish for is for you to be alright, my dear," she said. Yunho felt like recoiling. "It must've been so lonely all those years, you must've been miserable,"

Lies, Yunho thought furiously, the loneliness and misery that you put me in. 

Still, he had to calm down. "Of course not," he lied through his teeth. "What matters is now, and I'm content with now."

Serafia returned a smile, "My treasure, you've always known what to say. Always so smart," she his hair gently, as if she was smoothening out a blanket. "But Yunho, my dear,"

"Yes?" his throat was dry all of a sudden.

"Did you really think I wouldn't know if you were lying?"