Conflicted

Chasing Ghosts

There was stunned silence that followed.

Eventually, the lights had flickered back on and Rocco's cat crawled out from under the couch and it scrambled onto its owner's lap, who was now sitting on the cushions. He was reading each person's face in the room, switching between concern and bemusement depending on who he was reading: Jongho, a definite look of disarray that they had done something very stupid (arguably so), Mingi, the colour from his cheeks turning gray when he and Ara's eyes met, registering the promise they had made. 

As for Yunho the ghost, he looked dazed.

"Great just great," Jongho put his head in his hands while he groaned. "What are we going to do now? We don't even know where exactly in Faerie can we find this...Ealdhun guy and who knows what's going to happen next? We might get stuck there for years while an hour passes here-"

"There must be a way to go around this," Ara persisted. "Maybe something to make the time in Faerie to go in sync with the time here?"

Jongho shook his head, "There's just too many risks, what you did was reckless and stupid,"

Mingi was hesitant, "I thought you were like half-faerie or something, maybe if you-"

"If I what?" Jongho snapped angrily. "I've been going along with this madness long enough, Ara. If you keep trying to push this, you're going to get yourself killed!" 

Ara crossed her arms, "So you're suggesting we let Yunho be stuck like this forever?"

Yunho looked at them nervously, "You know, Ara, Jongho has a point-"

"I know you're hung up on Hongjoong's words about your destiny to be a hero, but this doesn't mean you have to run into the face of danger every chance you get. You didn't tell him the whole story because you know he'd give the same reaction as I'm giving you now. You can't save everyone in the world!"

Ara stepped forward and sighed, "I know you think I'm being reckless but I have a feeling that I'm supposed to do this. Jongho, we can do this if we can just figure out a way to sync the time-"

"If it were that easy then my dad wouldn't have been stuck there for five years!" 

And more awkward silence fell again, all of Jongho's pent up frustration poured out for the entire room to hear. Ara flinched and was almost grateful no one questioned the context behind Jongho's statement - it wasn't something he would have brought up at all but Ara had been the few to know the story behind it. She should have understood his feelings, she thought, kept in mind of his ill-feelings towards Faerie. I should have been a better friend. 

"Hey I'm sorry okay?" she said quietly, patting his shoulder. "I know how you feel about this and I shouldn't have forced you to help me out in this, you don't have to. But I'll still try, with or without you - just know that I don't blame you for anything."

Jongho pursed his lips, "No, I'm sorry Ara." And pushing past her, he walked out the flat, closing the door behind him.

"Oh dear," Rocco noted. "It seems like my little lecture hasn't changed his mind about this," he looked thoughtfullt at Ara. "It isn't your fault dear, Jongho still has his own...internalized prejudice he needs to work on. Now," he clasped his hands together. "It isn't impossible to get in and out of Faerie in one piece," and he stood up to walk towards the glass shelves. 

"So there's still a chance to save Yunho?" Mingi asked curiously. 

But Ara was still standing in the same position, hung up on her friend abandoning her and she felt bad about it. Suddenly a cool hand rested on her shoulder, and she looked up to see Yunho reading her with concern. "I'm sorry for causing you two to argue, I really am," he apologised. 

"No, don't be. It's not exactly your fault he acted that way," she assured. "It's just that-"

"Are you two listening or not?" Rocco called them over to the other side of the room testily before Ara could finish the sentence. In his hands was a bejewelled pocket watch, dangling on a leather cord. "Fortunately, the newer generation of the fey have been more open to interacting with the mortal world," he said. "One of the princes of Seelie Court in fact, is organizing a revel tomorrow at dusk until dawn. Not many know of this, only the ones with...connections with worthy humans have been spread of the word,"

"And how do you happen to know this?" Ara wondered.

Rocco ruffled, like a very offended peacock. "Before being a resident of Aurora Square to enjoy the easier things in life, I was once and still am a very esteemed member of the Court - serving the Lady Aquillana, princess of -"

"So you were a servant?" Ara asked.

"Varlet!" he corrected. "I was granted freedom to leave after years of service, so yes, you are lucky that I am able to help you in this mad quest of yours," he handed Mingi the pocket watch. "Twelve hours, from dusk to dawn in the human world. Plenty of time for you to find the man Jocelyn spoke of, get it over with and return to this world in one piece. Voila!" he said dramatically. 

Ara eyed the pocket watch, "So we use this to keep track of the time while we're in Faerie, but won't there be security or something for the revel? No invitations required?"

Rocco laughed lightly, "It's a revel darling, one does not require an invitation for the pursuit of pleasure! Aside from Seelie's politics, it's what they do best - bask in celebration and enjoyment. The people there will be influential, powerful so you will need to play the part convincingly,"

"By that you mean?"

"Millionares, dancers, artists," Rocco waved his hand airily. "Something you are not,"

"That's fine," it was Mingi who answered. "It's not a problem. But how do we exactly enter Faerie?"

Rocco arched a curious brow, but didn't question. "Ah yes, the wonders of Faerie, its entrances slipped between the cracks of this world," he said with allure. "Meet me here tomorrow at dusk, I will take you there myself."

"And how do we come out?" Yunho asked next, unbeknownst to Mingi. "Do we meet up with you?"

"Goodness no!" Rocco cried out. "But all fey know the ways of the Seelie Court, if Jocelyn was confident enough to confide in this Ealdhun fellow, you should ask him to direct you to an exit, he should be able to help you."

"And if he doesn't help us?"

"Then you best hope he changes his mind."



"I thought you said Rocco was going to be helpful?" Yunho asked. 

He glanced out the window of Ara's flat from time to time, anticipating for the sun to go down. Most of all, he tried to avoid staring at Ara while she let her brother adjust her dress, made of deep red lace embroidered with flowers, her dark locks cascaded down her back like a spill of black ink. He thought she looked beautiful, not that she wasn't before, but she purposefully wanted that feature to stand out tonight. It definitely worked.

"He was, well, as much as he wants to I guess," she in a breath to wriggle in her dress. "Plus, he's not really helping us because it's the right thing to do,"

"He's not?"

"Not really, he just likes a good adventure story. He's a faerie, it's in his blood to find joy in the misery of others - at least some part of that is true,"

"So he's....not a good person?"

"Faeries like drama okay?" she rolled her eyes. "It doesn't matter if they're good or not, it's just that Rocco is someone we can trust who won't lie to us,"

"I thought faeries couldn't lie?" Hongjoong commented. "Are you talking to that ghost you're trying to help again?"

"Yes, he has a name now."

It seemed surreal to Yunho too, now that he had a name. Jeong Yunho, it had a nice ring to it, like how clothes fit perfectly onto someone. But he still didn't have his memories. Yunho eyes zoomed onto the ring and locket that Ara had decided to wear, apparently containing the key of break his curse. Technically Jocelyn had never lied to him, and only had avoided telling him the truth. He wondered how blind had he been to all the signs for so many years. 

"Why didn't you tell me Mingi was a millionare's son?" Ara exclaimed out of the blue. "Or was I supposed to know that on my own?"

"I thought you knew considering how much time you spend on your phone!" Hongjoong argued back. "Plus I recognised him since he's on the company's pictorials, he's the CEO's son."

When it was time to leave, Ara hugged her brother for good luck and Yunho was sure it took some effort for him to let go. "When you get back, promise me you'll call?" he reminded her. 

Ara nodded, "Promise."

And they set out towards the Hilton Hotel a few blocks away from the flats, people coming in and out from the entrance. Yunho frowned, "Why did Mingi tell you to wait here?"

But before she could answer, a sleek black BMW had pulled up at the driveway - in front of Ara and Yunho. The window rolled down, and Mingi popped his head out. With the most charming smile he could pull off, "Sorry I'm late," and the driver opened the car door for Ara to enter. 

Hastily, the two slipped in before it closed. But what went on inside definitely caught Ara by surprise, another woman was with them, and Ara shot Mingi an alarming look. 

Mingi could only offer an uneasy grin.

"Good evening, Araminta. I'm Mingi's mother, you might know me as director of Bellamy & Co."