Weep and Whisper

Chasing Ghosts

Jocelyn's ghost was different, but not in the way Ara liked. 

Years ago she remembered standing in front of her school, where a fatal accident had happened not too long ago. When the paramedics had moved the dead body from the scene, Ara had looked ahead - and saw its ghost. A lady in a sundress, yellow polka-dotted splattered with blood: staring directly at her after noticing Ara could see her. Under the sun, looking like a slightly faded zombie - she continued to call out to Ara when she ran away. "Girl, little girl! I know you can see me! Please help me!" she had begged. Ara was nine and terrified.

Jocelyn's ghost, was not like a zombie but rather ethereal as well as haunting. While Ghost Boy felt like a living human and only seemed invisible to most people, Jocelyn's ghost form was glowing grey in its ectoplasmic state, and only her eyes showed its startling green irises like emerald stones. Ara almost didn't recognise her, dark curls bouncing lightly in the air that had wildflowers braided into the strands; a flowy dress decorated with....butterfly wings?

"You're a gentry faerie," Rocco breathed in surprise as he sized Jocelyn up. 

"J-Jocelyn?" Ghost Boy whispered, eyes wide in astonishment. Jocelyn's ghost seemed lost at first, and slowly she started to calm down - her gaze unwavered from him. Gradually, she hovered towards Ghost Boy, her hand touching his cheek. 

"Oh my dear," she choked. "I'm sorry for leaving so soon, forgive me for every secret, every lie, everything all these years,"

Ghost Boy trembled, "What have you been keeping from me, Jocelyn?" 

"W-which is why summoned you," Ara cleared . "Rocco said you were a gentry faerie, what else have you been keeping hidden?"

"Is he Yunho?" Mingi asked all of a sudden, much to everyone's surprise. Ara supposed Jocelyn had meant for everyone to see her. For someone who had seen a ghost, possibly for the first time, Mingi was actually doing quite alright. 

Finally Jocelyn nodded gravely, "Yes, he is."

"Ghost Boy - Yunho told us the rest," Ara continued. "So it's true, isn't it? He isn't dead and he's under some type of spell? And his body has been hidden?"

She nodded again, and Ara saw a look wash over Yunho's face she had never seen before. A mix of anger and disbelief, ultimately it was hurt. "Why did you lie to me?" he struggled to sound calm, even with Ara holding his hand, she could feel him shaking. 

"I do not ask for your forgiveness, my dear," Jocelyn wept. "All these years I was conflicted, unsure of what to do even after I found out the truth of Serafia's plans-"

"Wait, who's Serafia now?" Jongho asked incredulously. 

"M-maybe she means 'Sofia' and she got the names mixed up, as in Yunho's evil stepmother?" Mingi suggested. 

Yunho whirled around, "So I actually have an evil stepmother?"

"Sofia was just a moniker," Rocco understood. "If this is faerie business we're talking about, I may have recalled hearing such a name..." he looked suspiciously at Jocelyn once again. "An exiled Seelie Court member and one banished from Unseelie...you're one of them, aren't you?" he narrowed his eyes.

Jocelyn stiffed, "It happened a long time ago, but it seems that word still spreads about my...departure," she decided on that last word. 

Ara frowned, "What is going on?"

"There had been news going about, many years ago, about members, from the Seelie and Unseelie Court respectively - engaging in ...questionable truces," Rocco treaded cautiously. "And as punishment. the two were banished from ever entering Faerie. But of course...everything could be a rumour but the names had been whispered: Jocelyn and Serafia."

"I had been trying to regain my favour with the Seelie Queen!" Jocelyn snapped. "But yes the story told has more truth than not. I am now no longer living, so I can tell the story. You see, Serafia - Sofia as you have come to know, we were...closer than friends, more than that," she added wistfully. "Any contact with anyone from Unseelie was forbidden, but somehow...we had formed such a close bond. truly believed that the monstrous nature of Unseelie was taught, and not something you were born with. I believed Serafia was...not one of them,"

"Gee I wonder how that turned out," Mingi muttered. 

"We were exiled from Faerie, left to survive on our own in the human world. Shamefully so, I assisted her in many of her schemes, blindly trusting her to do the right thing. I wanted to believe she was kind at heart until I realised - I was wrong and she had hurt people in the process. Disappointed, we slowly drifted apart after I left. Then a few years later, she came to me; told me lies that she had changed for the better and begged for me to help her again. Once again, I was being foolish,"

"-and you believed her." Ara's heart sank.

Jocelyn shook her head regretfully. "She needed a partner to perform this particular spell, a binding to strengthen the curse so that it could only be broken with two elements. It was old faerie magic, a sleeping curse that is precise as well as complicated. I helped her without knowing her true intentions but I had my suspicions, so I did my own research - and I was so ashamed of myself. It was a coincidence that I managed to find you that night, Yunho, I wanted to do whatever I could to make it up to you,"

"But you kept my name from me, all these years you lied to me!" Yunho snapped furiously, it scared Ara somewhat seeing him like this. 

"I know I betrayed your trust, and I'm so sorry," Jocelyn cried. "I see that now, but despite it all I-I always held out hope that Serafia was not the monster she portrayed. I was so wrong."

"You loved her." Ara realised and she felt pity for the ghost. Perhaps she had an affinity with ghosts, she could somehow feel what they felt and with Jocelyn, all she could feel was utter sorrow and regret; as if she was trapped suffocating in despair. The longer she spiralled in her sadness, the more unstable the room seemed to react and the wind became stronger. Struggling, Ara tried to reach out to her. "Jocelyn, I know you're angry at yourself - I know you're hurting and you wish to move on; there's a reason you haven't yet right?"

Jocelyn sobbed, "It's so....cold and lonely here! I deserve this desolation, this pain..."

"Why has she gone mad?" Mingi screamed frantically. 

"She just died, her ghost isn't stable!" Jongho answered. 

Ara's eyes met Yunho's, who seemed just as frantic and there was a silent message that passed between them. The only way to stop this. 

"Jocelyn listen to me!" Yunho cried out loud. "Jocelyn I forgive you, I forgive you for what you've done!"

And all at once the wind subsided and Jocelyn calmed down again, her bright green eyes fresh with tears but she seemed alright. "I know you want to make it up to me," Yunho continued, his tone now gentler. "You can, so tell us what you know about this. That's the only way to help me, isn't it?"

Jocelyn sniffed, "When we casted the spell, Serafia used two objects to trap the essential elements that bind a person to their life: their memories and their last breath," she said. "But she did not tell me of what the other object she had used, only entrusting me with the locket in your hand," her faded finger pointed towards the locket in Ara's grasp. 

Ara cocked her head, "But it's opened?" she tried connecting the Chairman's riddled words and stared. "You mean Yunho's memories and his last breath are - were in here?" Suddenly she wasn't very fond of the fact that she had been holding objects that contained Yunho's life source.

"She returned to get it back from me, but I refused," she hesitated. "Because I knew she would use it to control Yunho once she breaks the curse, for what I do not know unfortunately. And that is why I have been trying to regain the favour from the Seelie Court - that is the only place the second element could be safe where it would be out of her reach."

Jongho looked confused. "Let me get this straight, you transferred someone's last breath all the way to Faerie? How is that supposed to work?"

"Capturing someone's last breath is easy when you have magic strong enough," Rocco offered an answer. "A pure-bred gentry faerie like her is definitely able to do that."

"I sent it to someone I had been close with and was willing to help, for safe guarding a while ago," Jocelyn continued. "So when Serafia had ambushed me, I no longer had Yunho's last breath in possession. I had hoped I would be able to undo the curse but it's too late..." she pursed her lips.

"So you don't know how to break the curse?" Mingi asked. "Or where Yunho's body is?"

"No," she said regretfully. "Serafia had always been more well-versed in the dark arts than I do, and my exile from Faerie has stopped me from learning more. Which is also why I had entrusted someone from the inside to safe-guard it for me, but now..."

"Then we find this friend of yours and get it back," Ara blurted. 

Even Jocelyn was stunned, "Ara, it's not as easy as it seems," said Jongho. "Going into Faerie isn't like a walk in the park, time runs differently there. This could be a suicide mission!"

Yunho agreed. "If he says this is too much of a risk, I don't think we should-"

"Would you do it?" Jocelyn's voice sounded hopeful, now she was entirely focused on Ara. "For him, would you do it?" There was so much emotion when she asked the question, Ara really could feel the care she had for Yunho. The desperation that she wished more than anything to make things right. 

"Yes," Ara answered in a heartbeat, as well as Mingi much to her surprise. He came forward, despite looking clearly cautious of the ghost.

"I would too," he answered with confidence. "I'll do anyting to bring him back."

After much contemplation, Jocelyn nodded. "When you get to Faerie, seek out the fey named Ealdhun and show him my locket to prove who you are. He will have your answers," she looked up and closed her eyes. "That is all the help I can offer you. I can finally rest in peace," she looked endearingly at Yunho again, tears b but still controlled. "Knowing that there is hope for you still brings me joy, my dear, I am sorry for lying to you, for failing you. But know that my love for you was true, Yunho, the truest I have been for a long time. Thank you." She whispered to him, but Ara felt like she had intended it for all of them. 

"J-Jocelyn?" Yunho stuttered and the ghost leaned in to kiss him tenderly on the forehead. 

"I see the light at last, goodbye my love..."

And with a burst of light, the ghost of Jocelyn had vanished.