Revelation

Chasing Ghosts

"I certainly did not expect more than one delinquet to visit me today."

Rocco tapped his foot impatiently on his floorboard, scowling testily at the band of youngins who had infiltrated his flat. Jongho was the only one who seemed to show any kind of guilt for barging in and had sheepishly returned the crossbow that was now on display on one of Rocco's glass shelves, Ara sitting cross-legged as she flashed an overbearingly innocent smile at the elfman, Mingi whom Rocco haven't met before, standing awkwardly by the window as he peered down at the plaza of Aurora Square with a mixture of awe and unease - and finally Yunho who had been examining all the collectibles on the shelves ever since they arrived, as if he was distracting himself.

"Rocco, we know we shouldn't be bothering you," Jongho started.

Rocco scoffed, "I'm aware of that."

"But you already heard our explanation," Ara continued earnestly. "If we didn't trust you to have our answers, we wouldn't be here."

"Then you have overestimated  my capabilities because I certainly do not have all your answers!"

"But surely you know more than we do, you cared enough for Jongho to borrow your crossbow so that means you felt like there was more to this right?" she continued to persuade, and to Yunho's amazement - was surprisingly convincing. He could see Rocco's mouth twitch, like he was trying not to show that he was bemused. When they all barged in, Ara didn't even give him a chance to shoo them out and had launched into another round of storytelling. 

Already aware of the details, Yunho didn't bother to listen again and had proceeded to explore the shelves of odd ornate objects. A polished talon with a hilt of gold, a few books written in an unknown language, a jar of shimmering dust than looked less like glitter and more like bite-sized diamonds - he basically only wanted to distract himself from everything that had happened. 

The still image of Jocelyn lying on the ground still played in his mind, causing his hands to shake everytime he thought about it. There was an empty hollow pit in his stomach that seemed to never fade. What did Jocelyn have to face while he was gone? She could have been calling his name for help, but what if him being there wouldn't make a difference? Not that it mattered, the damage had been done. Jocelyn, Jocelyn who had taken him in when he felt like the loneliest person in the world and had watched him grow up like a parent. She had done more good to him than ever, he didn't want to believe that she had been hiding secrets from him - and even so, he wanted to believe it was because she wanted to protect him. 

But from what?

"Ahh!" he cried out when there was a sudden throbbing pain in his head. He stumbled and his body knocked against the shelves, causing the glittery jar to almost topple over. He closed his eyes shut, and in blindness - he was back in the hollow lapis room in his dream. As though he was there feeling the unsettling cold air, the light at the corner of his eye lured him to look over. 

And he saw himself.

"Ghost Boy!" a voice called out for him, Ara's voice, and his eyes flew open once more. She was crouching next to him on the ground, a worried look on her face while her hand supported his head. He was breathing hard, when there was no apparent reason to. Then he realised everyone else had huddled around him, excluding Mingi who was still trying to find where everyone was looking at. Rocco studied him intently, how odd, he must have thought. 

"I-I saw myself," Yunho blurted once he calmed down. "Or my body, I, I think that was my body. It was in that, that room I told you before. The one with the lapis walls in my dream," 

"But you're not dreaming now," Jongho said. "Is this some sign?" Simultaneously, they all looked at Rocco. Mingi followed suit, despite being a bit lost. 

"That is the most peculiar," said Rocco, sounding more concerned than he had been before. "You said you saw your body, were you breathing then?"

"I think so?" Yunho tried to recall, and for sure he caught the sight of his body, his chest rising and falling like a living person. "Does that mean I'm not dead?" He didn't want to sound too hopeful, but his hand had squeezed Ara's unconsciously. 

"If that was the case and this wasn't a figment of your hallucinations - then no, you are most certainly not dead," he finally replied. "But where your body is kept, that is the question. And unfortunately, I do not have the answers to that," 

"Guys, I really don't want to be annoying but can anyone just tell me what's going on?" Mingi demanded. Yunho felt bad for him, it must have been frustrating following them all blindly when all he wanted to do was save him missing best friend-

"That's why I can't just be a wildly guessing, there's too many coincidences in these two things," Ara said, her eyes twinkled as she said that. Yunho blinked in confusion, like she was presenting something groundbreaking to the world. "Ghost Boy, where did you say you remember waking up from eight years ago? When you realised you were a ghost?" the words flowed so rapidly from her lips Yunho almost didn't catch on. 

"I-in a school pool?" 

"A pool," she said, almost yelled. "Now where was Jeong Yunho last seen eight years ago?" she turned to Mingi, who was still registering everything that was happening. But it was Jongho that caught on to her theory and widened his eyes, colour draining from his face when he had connected the dots. 

"You don't think," he stammered. "Oh my god."

Mingi's eyes darted back and forth, "What is it?"

"She's saying Ghost Boy is Jeong Yunho."



The statement caught Mingi off guard, he stumbled backwards. There were so many things that hadn't made sense since he arrived, he had almost lost his life only yesterday or so - and now this

"Is this one of your tricks too?" he asked doubtfully, staring into the empty space where their apparent ghost stood. 

"Of course it's not!" Ara almost sounded offended. "Ghost Boy's my friend, I'm doing this for him. If he's really that missing friend you've been so desperate on finding, I'm doing both of you a favour. I care about him as much as you care about Yunho, and he's the Yunho you've been looking for. I'm sure of it. I just told you all why I think that!"

That sense of hope returned to him, his eyes scanned the room frantically. "Yunho? Is that you? Do you remember me?"

"Even if he is Jeong Yunho, he won't remember anything. Like we said, he lost all memories of the past even his name," Jongho said.

"Wait," Ghost Boy cut in. "If I'm really this...Yunho that you're talking about, we still don't have an idea on how to resurrect me or even find where my body is hidden. Like I said, that place I saw had no entry,"

But Rocco already noticed the grin playing on Ara's face. "And do you have anything other information that could be of help, my girl?"

On cue, Ara nodded. "The Chairman said something," she took out a locket from her back pocket, the one Jocelyn had been wearing and looked at it wonderingly.  "'Seek thou to forget the past, kept by the ring thou once hast; trapped and captured by one's last breath, sealed by a kiss from the angel of death'." as she recited the words, she proceeded to take out the faerie ring in her other pocket. Holding the two pieces of jewelry side-by-side, she presented them to the others."This ring was found at the very place Jeong Yunho went missing, as for this," she held up the locket. "Rocco, any ideas?"

Rocco scratched his chin, "I'm not well-versed in spells, but that definitely sounds like a portion of an incantation."

"I bet my money that Jocelyn knew about this," Jongho answered and sighed. "But we obviously can't ask her now."

"Or...we can?" said Rocco, his gaze set on Ara. "Ara, have you ever tried experimenting with your ability? Perhaps more than just communicating, did you ever try summoning a ghost?"

Ara stared, "I...haven't tried that before. I don't think I know how," 

Then Ghost Boy's head snapped up, "Maybe you can try it now?" he asked, hopeful with that familiar glint in his eyes. 

"But don't ghosts move on after they die?" Mingi added grimly. "I mean, that is if they have some sort of unfinished business? I just heard stories about that though."

"I don't think she would move on that quick," Ara replied quietly. "If she cared for you that much, she wouldn't have the heart to leave you behind like that right?"

Ghost Boy seemed to hesitate, doubting for the first time the connection he and Jocelyn shared. "I hope that's the case."

"Then let's try it now," Ara responded earnestly, this was something she wanted to do. For him. 

She stood in the middle of the living room, clutching the locket in her palm. She glanced wearily at Rocco, who had moved to cover the windows with the blinds (maybe new ghosts didn't like the sunlight?). "So uh, what am I supposed to do?" she asked.

"Hmm, I heard from a seance that you're supposed to know the face and name of the person you're summoning. Try to focus with your eyes closed and speak their name, or something like that?"

"Geez that's really helpful," she muttered before following the steps in that order. She closed her eyes, pictured Jocelyn's face in her mind and with all the focus she could gather and uttered the words. "Jocelyn, show yourself!"

When nothing happened a few seconds later, Ara felt like burying herself under the rug in humiliation. She was about to move away when a strong gust of wind entered Rocco's living room, scaring his Lynx cat with a hiss and retreated under the couch. The force was strong enough to break the lightbulb in the living room, dimming the place and Ara stiffled a scream. 

"Who calls upon me?" the ghost of Jocelyn cried out loud.