CHAPTER 3

I SMELL SOME JELOUSY

"Have you packed your things yet?" 

Mark hummed in response, half minding what Jungwoo had asked, too engrossed listening to his favorite playlist. 

It's a day for their company retreat that was organized for the sole reason of them getting close with each other. It's some sort of culture in their company whenever there's a new member or a new unit in their group. Since they need to work together, it's a huge part of their work environment to have a chemistry and a complete level of easiness towards each other. 

"Don't forget your toothbrush, Mark" His roommate reminded him. This time, he looked up to give him a warm smile, a token of appreciation, or some sort. 

One thing he liked about his roommate was the fact the he never failed to remind Mark about trivial things that he often forgets. 

"Thanks, man. I already have it in my bag. Anything else you want to remind me, eomma?" he said, half-jokingly because the man really acts like his mom sometimes. 

"What about Haechannie?" A sudden mention of that name made him choke in the air. 

 There's a hint of friskiness in his eyes as if waiting for his internal gay panic to peek through. 

To say that Mark blushed from hearing Donghyuck's name is an understatement because anyone who can see him right now can easily compare him to a ripe tomato.

The other man just grinned, quietly enjoying his miserableness. He got up from his bed and went to the bathroom AKA another great way to save himself from another embarrassment.

It's been a week since that drama happened and neither of them talked about it since then. Even their members never tried to bring it up. Maybe it's their way of showing respect towards their personal boundaries, especially to his because Hyuck knew how much he hated confrontation.

What happened on that night was that they both went back to the dorm and the younger cooked some instant ramen for, just like what he usually does for him. Nothing special if someone would ask. It's still Mark and Hyuck. Except for the fact that on that night, he openly met his eyes. No more avoidance and hiding. He finally accepted the thought that he likes him. That's not the easiest thing to do, even harder than accepting that he lost on that trashy High school rap competition. He needed a lot of courage and jealousy to accept it and become true to himself. Good thing is, they're still friends even after that epic confession that he'd gladly burn in hell together with his stupid soul. 

He looked at himself in the mirror, astonished as to how the flushed in his cheeks added so much glow in his appearance as if a magical entity had just given him a makeover. Then a sudden image of Donghyuck smiling and hugging him from that night popped out in his mind, Its vividness is not even helping, not that he's complaining though.  

His daydream was interrupted when Jungwoo knocked on the door. "I'm just kidding! Quit acting like a shy five-year-old kid. By the way, I'm going down to the 5th floor to give Johnny hyung his coat"

Hearing the words '5th floor', which is Donghyuck and other members' room, by the way, gave him so much adrenaline rush making him stumble on his feet and eventually falling on the cold floor of the bathroom. Lucky for him his reflexes saved his face from breaking. He let out a loud whimper as he felt the impact in his arms. 

A worried face of his roommate greeted him as soon as he opened his eyes. Thank goodness it's not St. Peter or any angel above. 

"yo! I'm still alive?" He d himself, checking if his body parts are still intact.

"Lucky you the universe was on your side. " said unamazed Jungwoo as if Mark having a near death experience didn't surprise him anymore. No one can blame him though. The latter can surely be a walking disaster most of the time.

He got up from the floor and immediately grabbed the coat from Jungwoo's hand, not minding the pain acting upon his lower arm. 

" I'll give it to Johnny hyung!" 

His figure is long gone even before the other man can react. He hurriedly got up and walked towards the door, excitement and rush are too overflowing to care about the pain acting up in his left arm. 

He just wanted to see Donghyuck. 

 

 

-----

 

A fresh-from-the-bath Donghyuck wearing only a pair of gray boxer shorts was a sight Mark never expected to see as early as eight in the morning when he just had his near-death experience a few minutes before. Maybe that's what he gets from not knocking on the door, too excited to see the younger.

He has seen the boy topless a lot of times in the past but it's the first time he let himself admire this God-given scenery. Because how can he not? Hyuck was too pretty and glowing in that particular moment. Hair and face were still damp with a white towel on the top of his head covering half of his face. The boy is too engrossed vibing to the song of his favorite icon, Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror, oblivious to Mark's presence in the room. 

The dim light in the room just added the most cinematic effect to Mark's heart wilding like a teenager dancing in a loud sound of rave songs. He leaned on the back of the door with his arms crossed and eyes trailing the younger's figure. 

"Mark hyung? how long have you been there?" Hyuck asked when he finally realized who's in front of him. No trace of timidness in his voice as if it's the most natural thing to see him topless in the morning, a complete opposite of the other boy who's still left in awe.  

Hyuck sat on the bed, eyes following Mark who's just nervously gulping in the air. 

"Uhhh i j-just went here to give Johnny hyung his coat. S-sorry for just barging in" he said when he finally regained his thoughts.

The younger just nodded in response, still looking intently into his eyes, unaware of his effect on him. 

Mark doesn't know how long they stayed like that, looking at each other without saying a word, afraid of ruining a good magical moment. 

"Loving the view?" A small but confident grin peek through the corner of the younger's mouth, eyes looking at the deepest part of his soul as if challenging him to speak his heart out. 

The older could only sigh in response. His thoughts are too preoccupied by the glint in his eyes and a curls in his stomach. Excitement, rush or whatever it is, his system was not used in this kind of confrontation. It's too overwhelming for him. 

"uhhuhm I-i just..I'll just wait outside." He hastily said, turning his back like it's the easiest thing to do at that moment. 

He heard Hyuck stood up from the bed and at the back of his head, he knew for sure that the younger would stop him from leaving.

"Mark wait-" He continued walking. 

"I'm too tired. I played with Yang yang and Sungchan last night. " The boy said out of nowhere which for sure, successfully halted Mak from leaving. 

Yes. He knew Hyuck would stop him but he forgot to state how. As far as he could remember, Hyuck is the most clever person on earth and that's a fact. He knew how to used his cards damn well.

"Really?" He finally looked back at the younger to confirm what he just said, wishing he just blurted it out to stop him.

But curiosity indeed kills the cat. 

"Now I got your attention," said the boy nonchalantly, arms crossed with a blank expression on his face. 

The offer is too tempting and Mark tried his hardest to act naturally but his thoughts about how gorgeous Hyuck at the very moment stopped him from doing so. 

"Quit playing around. I just went here to remind you a-about...the company retreat" 

damn. he can't even meet his eyes!

At this point, Mark just wanted to evaporate and burn his stupid . That was the lamest reason that even a dog won't get convinced. 

"Whatever you say, hyung. Can you stay here for a bit?" A notable exasperation and frustration are now evident in his voice. But the way he said it, It's more of a soft request than a command. Something his poor soul couldn't say no to because the universe knew that no one, even angry Taeyong, could say no to a soft Haechan. If there's a different types of Donghyuck, this is the rarest type of him but here he is, looking at him like a lost puppy waiting to be pet.

Mark just stood there, not finding the right words or things to do. His alter ego was telling him to stop being an and just go hug the younger to make him feel loved and appreciated but being the biggest coward he that is, he continued standing there, waiting for the other to do the first move.

"Hyungggggg... just stay here please or do you want me to call Yang yang and Sungchan to stay with me? At least those two-"

"I'll stay here!" He's quick to approach him even before he finished his sentence. No more mentioning of those names. 

Hyuck just smiled at him, too genuine for his heart to skip in a bit. 

"Good choice hyung." he said with so much fondness and relief in his voice.

Mark didn't want to be too ahead of himself but whenever he got a glimpse of those mystical glints in his eyes, he couldn't help but to wish the younger feels the same way for him.

He just sighed and sat on Hyuck's bed. He couldn't do anything after all. 

"How's your recording?" the younger asked, now rummaging through his closet. 

He tried his hardest to remember what recording the other man was asking because, with all honesty, his brain couldn't seem to function at the moment, too distracted from his thoughts and overwhelming feelings.  

" It's good. I've recorded half of the song. it's up to the producers if they want me to redo it." he answered on Super M's song they're currently working on. Props to his self for not stuttering despite the full havoc in his system. 

"You'll do good for sure." He felt a weight on his head only to see Hyuck ruffling his hair with a proud smile plastered on his lips. That exact moment felt an eternity. The look in his brown eyes, the smile on his lips, and the way he's caressing his hair. It feels too surreal that even his heartbeats were in sync with the fast pace of their cinematic universe. 

One look from his eyes and Mark knew for sure how much his feelings have grown towards him. Its gravity kept on pulling him down to the bottom of his uncertainties. It didn't feel good to be completely honest. Too many questions are yet to be answered. 

Is it okay to like him this much?

what if he doesn't see me the way I see him?

Am I even into guys?

Questions, questions, and questions! it's overwhelming to confront the things you've been avoiding for ages. He's a simple man whose only weakness is conflict. Any amount, even the microscopic amount of conflict can cause too much havoc in his system. He just can't stand it, especially if the man named, Lee Dong Hyuck is involved.

He didn't know what kind of courage he got but when Hyuck was about to touch his hair again, he was quick to precede the situation by grabbing his hand and pulling the other towards him. The action was too sudden, no one expected it so Hyuck lost his balance, and just like any romantic scenes in the movies, He landed on top of him. They're lucky enough the bed was there to catch them. 

Mark didn't need to think twice when he wrapped his arms around him as they fell together. His protective instinct towards the younger told him to do so. 

They landed on the softness of the bed and when he opened his eyes, he was greeted by the most starry eyes he's been dreaming of for so long. Hyuck was on the top of him looking intensely into his eyes, maybe looking for an answer to his own questions...just like him.

Their lips are inches away from each other, it's about two inches if he's good at math, but he knew for sure he's better at thinking how good it might feel to close the gap between them.

but he's too coward to do it. 

"I'm waiting." said the younger whose eyes are more convincing him to do it. 

He wanted it too. God knows how much he wanted it but something at the back of his mind was stopping him from doing so. The uncertainties, the unanswered questions, the future consequences, and everything! 

He's too afraid to do it because he's not sure if he can stand on the future consequences it might bring. 

To his panic and franticness, the only thing he had the courage to do was to push the other away from him. He stood up, legs are shaking and his heart was breaking from the possible disappointment he might see on the face of the other. 

"Uh-I-I'll go first" He was about to leave the room when the younger spoke.

"Until when do you plan to play hide and seek with me hyung? please stop giving me mix signals. Just please..find your courage". 

Hyuck was hurt. It's obvious in how his voice cracked and the sound of his broken message. 

He's too angry at himself that he can't look back, too afraid to see how hopeless the younger might look. 

"I-i'm sorry" 

He left the room together with the shattered pieces of his heart. 

 

-

note: A jealous Mark is a confused Mark. Bear with him please. Thank you for supporting this story!