Chapter 4

Blooming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

adonis flower; /əˈdəʊnɪs ˈflaʊə(r)/; sorrowful memories

“sorrow spares no one”

Everybody in class should mark on their calendar on this one fine day that it was the quietest day they had in a long while. And this rare occasion would only occur for one main reason which was when either Mi Joo or Mark did not attend school. A bickering session in the middle of a lesson was deemed unnecessary if one of them was not present for school.

On this day itself, the person who was absent was Lee Mi Joo.

All the students as well as the teachers who taught this class were somehow grateful that she was sick. It was a very well-known fact that whoever were placed in the same class as the duo would have to watch their endless arguments. It was exhausting listening to their trivial fighting every single day. No one could stop them until the teachers had to use their grades as a warning, it was only then the two would put a pause in their dispute.

Mark, on the other hand, was bored the whole day. Mi Joo was his source of entertainment in class but she was not around. Hence, he proceeded to find other means such as counting the number of leaves that have fallen to the ground or doodling random images in his notebook.

Before the end of physics lesson, the teacher has given out assignments for the class. At the same time, he asked for someone to pass the homework to the absent girl.

Kei, upon hearing the teacher’s request, was about to volunteer herself when someone beat her to it. And that certain someone turned out to be none other than Mark Tuan himself.

“I can do it.”

Like the rest of the students, the teacher looked at him dumbfoundedly and even had to clean his glasses, for him to realise that his vision has not fail him from the start.

“Mark sshi, correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t you and Mi Joo sshi not at the best term with each other?”

“I won’t say that. We’re actually friends.”

“Is that so?”

“Absolutely right sir.”

“I can do it instead.”

It was Kei who raised her hand up.

“Thank you for volunteering, Mark sshi but I shall let Kei sshi pass the work to Mi Joo sshi.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea letting a young woman walked alone in this unknown world. It’s dangerous. Who knows what’ll happen?”

“Ah, that’s right. In that case, Mark sshi shall do it instead.”

“I know where Mi Joo stay and it’s safe.”

“Then Kei sshi shall do it.”

“I can ask for Mi Joo’s address at the administrative office.”

“How about the two of you going together instead?”

“I guess that could work…”

The teacher passed the assignment to Kei who then gave an innocent smile to Mark.

What a er.

As it was a non-club activity day, everyone got to go back at the usual standard timing. Mark who had already packed his belongings since the start of the last period, was now waiting beside Kei’s table. He was dead set at giving the homework to Mi Joo with Kei much to the latter’s disapproval.

“Thanks for the company but it’s fine. I don’t want to trouble you anyway.”

“I don’t mind.”

“I don’t want to waste your time.”

“I have all the time.”

“Hm. Nothing can stop you, huh?”

“Uh huh.”

A sudden beep sounded through and it was from Kei’s phone. She checked the new message she had received in which she released a sigh. She passed Mark the worksheet as she stated.

“Today’s your lucky day. I need to head for my part-time job now. You got what you wanted.”

“And what is it that I want?”

“Don’t take me as a fool. I know what you’re doing.”

“Well…”

“Don’t do anything dumb when you’re there. Just give this to her and go.”

“I can’t promise that.”

“Leave once you’re done.”

For the first time ever, Mark witnessed such a threatening glare from Kei who was perceived as pure and innocent. That image could be erased by now.

“Okay, okay.”

“Good. Well, then. See you tomorrow!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter