Chapter 2

Blooming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

coral rose; /ˈkɒr(ə)l rəʊz/; wildly fascinated

“be fascinated instead of frustrated”

Once the minute hand struck twelve, the school bell rang, signalling that it was dismissal time. It was two in the afternoon, the standard timing to release students from school on non-club activity days. They were free to do whatever they desired after school such as heading back home to take a good old nap or hanging out with their friends.

But in this case, it was different for eighteen-year-old Mi Joo. She was in her third year of high school and like every third-year students out there, she had to take her college entrance examinations which were coming up in four months. As far as she was concerned, acing the exams was her priority now.

Except for Thursdays when she had to spend her after school hours on the flower arrangement club, she had signed up for cram school since the start of the second semester. It was to further prep her for the exams since the lessons conducted focused mainly on advanced exam questions.

“I’ve to go for cram school now. See you tomorrow, Kim Kei!”

“Bye, bye!”

Kei, on the other hand, decided to self-study from the beginning. Cram school was just not her thing.

Students from different schools were welcome to enrol for cram school. The main reason as to why they registered themselves for these extra sessions was due to wanting to do well. And with everyone having that mindset, the environment itself was suffocating and stressful. Not that many could handle the intensity well but in Mi Joo’s case, she was coping manageably so far.

Familiar faces streamed into the classroom as Mi Joo sat in her usual spot. She actually liked cram school and for that being she need not see the face of the very ridiculous Mark Tuan. Having seen him enough during school hours, she was glad her eyes did not have to go through anymore unnecessary pain. Hence, Thursday was the only day of the week she was not looking forward to. It was the only day when her blood pressure would surpass the normal.

As she was getting ready for the lesson to start, someone sat next to her. Unlike her school, the tables and chairs arranged here were in pairs due to the limited space. There were occasions when a student from a neighbouring school would occupy the seat next to hers but most of the time, she was alone. Maybe it was because she was at the first row. To Mi Joo, it was the perfect placement since she could see the board and listen to the teacher clearly but for others, they would rather be anywhere except there.

Whenever someone took the seat beside her, Mi Joo would always sneak a look at the person’s uniform. She did not want to scare whoever by gawking at them openly.

Once she did so, she realised the stranger was of the same school as her. This was a first for her as normally students in her high school would enrol in another cram school that was ten minutes away from her school’s location. Mi Joo wanted to apply for that tuition originally but there were no vacancies left hence she registered for a cram school that was slightly further.

Maybe it was someone she knew and she could finally attend the lessons without feeling left out. It could be lonely at times.

“Why are you here?”

Mi Joo stared wide-eyed. This has to be a joke.

There he was, sitting in a calm manner as Mark raised an eyebrow upon hearing the girl’s inquiry.

“Um, for my own benefits, I guess? Gee, I’ve no idea why I’m here. Hm…”

“No, no. I mean why, why. Like just why?”

“Let’s see. I’ve been in this cram school since the first year.”

“As someone who claims to be smart, you don’t get my question. I understand it’s for the exams but as in why are you seated here? And I’ve never seen you before ever since I’ve been here. Are you spewing crap to me?”

“First of all, you need to work on the way you phrase your words. Maybe that’s why you’re always below me. Next, I’m not. I’ve just decided not to attend, that’s all.”

“Well, can you please be somewhere else then? You’re not welcome here. It’ll be much appreciated if you scoot your away from me. If you’re not coming in the first place, why are you wasting money? Get a life, jerk. Someone may need the spot more than you.”

“Does this seat state that it’s your property? I wonder where it says so. I like it here so I’m staying here. And it’s none of your business to be prying into my life. Why? Are you perhaps interested in me?”

“If you haven’t known, I despise you. A lot.”

“Hard to believe, I must say. You’re always looking for ways to start a fight with me. Makes one wonder if you’re doing it intentionally to gain my attention. I’m always here, you know.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter