One

Legacy

 

 

"Mom, have you seen my hair oil?! I know I put it here, or somewhere, to pack it but now I can't find it!" Scarlett shrieked while frantically packing her bags to rush to the airport.

 

Scarlett mentally smacked herself multiple times for forgetting that she has a flight scheduled in the morning. All she wanted was to rest before her flight, which she thought was in the afternoon, till when her mom reminded her of her forgotten schedule. 

 

"Right. If only I can use the 'Apparition' spell to teleport myself, it will be fantastic!" She whispered to herself, sarcastically. Well, Scarlett may seem like a normal human, technically she is a human, but there is a catch to it.

 

She's a witch, a good witch. Except to her distant relatives. After 16 years of her life, she received an admittance letter from a prestigious school in Scotland. Growing up in an Asian household has lots of pros and cons. Well, mainly cons if you were to ask her. After rejecting top universities offer, she kept getting stupid questions from her relatives - those foul-mouth aunts, jealous-cunning cousins and no-brain uncles. Out of all her family members in the family tree, her parents and herself were the only ones to receive these rare invitations. They were jealous that Scarlett's small family is extraordinary compared to their boring 'muggle' families. Even though Scarlett bore no hatred towards them, she sometimes played around with them, casting imperfect spells like adding loads of salt in her aunt's horrible cooking, puncturing the tyres of her uncle's outdated car or erasing her cousins' memory temporarily before their examinations. Yes, it seems like an extreme case for her cousin but well, they always bully Scarlett. So, why not. Right?

 

Two things she loves about spells are that they got no proof when they accused Scarlett of using those spells and it was fun messing around with them. Almost like a payback of what they did to her and her mom. 

 

"Honey, I know it's weird to say this but I'm so proud of you and if your dad is still here, I'm sure he'll be proud of you too!" Scarlett's mom exclaimed with excitement. Hiding her worries on Scarlett's mental and physical well-being when she's in Scotland, alone.

 

Without a doubt, Scarlett's mom, Maria, is indeed happy for her daughter. She's finally going to Hogwarts. The truth is, Scarlett has received this letter every year after she turned 11. It was Maria who turned down all the offers to protect her daughter. Maria and her husband, Chanyeol, were a witch and a wizard. They first met when they attended Hogwarts together when they were younger. Maria was sorted into Ravenclaw while Chanyeol was sorted into Gryffindor. After years of knowing each other, they fell in love and tied a knot after graduation. Their love brought Scarlett into the world. However, when Scarlett turned three, Chanyeol had to return to Hogwarts when a frightening beast escaped the protected compound of Azkaban. Chanyeol, an excellent wizard, could not afford to turn down the request as people lives were at stake and promised his wife and daughter that he will be back. Unfortunately, Chanyeol vanished without a trace and had to be reported as dead in the normal human world. Even though Chanyeol is no longer around, he continues to live as an exemplary hero in Maria, Scarlett and everyone's heart in Hogwarts.

 

Maria brought up Scarlett single-handedly as no one helped her after knowing that she is a witch. Though Maria was an outstanding witch blessed with both beauty and brain, she was an outcast in her own family. Even her parents were scared, terrified and disgusted by her. They called her a demon, a ghost, a weirdo, a fool and many more but non of those name-callings demoralised her. She knew that being weak and simple-minded will not bring her anywhere. Maria wanted Scarlett to grow up normally like other kids but it was impossible shortly after realizing that Scarlett could cast spells even without practising or chanting it. Scarlett was different compared to both Maria and her husband. She maybe even better compared to Maria and Chanyeol. Hence, Maria decided to let Scarlett go and explore her skills after she was sure that Scarlett is old enough.

 

"Darling, let's go! C'mon! You'll miss your flight to Scotland," Maria called Scarlett to quickly finish packing.

 

Scarlett felt nervous but she knew that her life will change once she stepped into Hogwarts. 

 

Scratch that. Scarlett could not wait to be in Hogwarts to find out which house she will be sorted into. Oh and about the life-changing part once she stepped into the school, don't scratch that. It will happen. No doubt.