Chapter Five

The Measure of Loveliness

Image

 

As the designer approached the main desk, the secretary noticed him and immediately looked attentive. Baekhyun pulled the invitation out of his inner pocket and showed it to the eager young lady.

"Oh.. you are Mr. Byun?" she asked.

The designer nodded with surprise. "Yes..."

"You are expected, sir." She smiled.

Baekhyun was confused. There had to be more than himself invited to this afternoon tea, but the secretary immediately mentioned the designer's name. He didn't have time to question as the lady had already begun rattling off directions. 

"Go down this hallway and take the third elevator to the 12th floor. The double glass doors to the gardens will open with the code 6104. They do close automatically, so be sure to stand clear of them. Have a lovely time!" She smiled again.

Baekhyun smiled back, still confused. He tucked the invitation back into his suit pocket and walked the direction the secretary had indicated. All of the elevator doors had a large "P" emblem on them, but the third one also had an embossed plate around the call button. "Fancy.." the designer muttered quietly. 

As he pushed the button, he noticed a small camera above it, but before he could wonder about the placement, the carriage arrived and the doors to the elevator opened. Baekhyun took a deep breath, walked into the elevator, and pushed the button for the 12th floor. 

The ride was shorter than he expected and soon the doors were opening to a small foyer area facing frosted glass double doors. Only faint silhouettes could be seen through the panes. There was a keypad on the wall to the side of doors and Baekhyun walked over to it cautiously. The whole situation felt like something out of a spy novel or something and he felt like he was about to enter a forbidden zone. He wouldn't be surprised if alarms sounded if he entered the wrong code into the security keypad.

The designer chuckled. Just to get some shortcake. 

But who was he kidding.

Although the invitation didn't say specifically, he hoped CEO Park would be in attendance. The man was definitely eye candy. Baekhyun couldn't have a taste of him, but just the visual would be nice to enjoy for the next hour or so.

Still, this was work. He would hopefully get some valuable business contacts as he enjoyed his favorite dessert while also enjoying glimpses of what he finally admitted to himself was his favorite forbidden fantasy.

The designer carefully straightened his suit jacket then reached out to the keypad. Each number lit up just before he pressed it, so Baekhyun felt reassured he got the code right. After the final number, the doors simultaneously swung inwards, silently opening to show the interior of the enclosed area. Remembering the secretary's words, he entered quickly. 

The view that greeted him was nothing like he had imagined.

Beautiful azalea, hydrangea, and peace lilies surrounded the perimeter of the large room. The walls were thickly frosted glass, and the ceiling was clear glass criss-crossed with white beams in a broad lattice pattern. At one corner a wisteria vine was growing up into the overhead beams, and fading grape-like blossoms dangled daintily throughout the room. Sunlight filtered through overhead, creating an afternoon glow unlike anything Baekhyun had ever seen.

The whole vision made him breathless. 

He looked down to catch his breath and center himself. Beautiful marble flooring with a soft swirling pattern shone under his feet, giving the impression of walking on air.

"You came!"

The familiar deep voice sounded almost affectionate and it caught the designer off guard. Baekhyun raised his head swiftly, easily locating the tall figure that had been in his recent thoughts far too often to be considered casual.

CEO Park stood alone beside a small circular table in the center of the room. A thin white crochet-edged tablecloth covered the table. A setting of delicate china and tableware had been laid out, ready to be used. And showcased at the center of the table was the dessert that had set off this entire afternoon's adventure. 

The sight of the shortcake almost made his mouth water, but the designer was determined to be professional. He looked around the room. "This a beautiful area. Am I the first to arrive this afternoon?"

The CEO gave a little smile. "Well, technically I was first. But thank you."

Baekhyun fought against rolling his eyes. "Well yes.. it's fitting that you're here before everyone else." His smile was a little tight-lipped.

Mr. Park faltered. "Um.. there's- actually.. You're the only one invited." he finally blurted out.

The designer was surprised.

The CEO was nowhere near his usual assured self, and he seemed almost nervous. Why would he be nervous? And why was Baekhyun the only one invited? "Is.. this a regular occurrence? I mean, do you have individual business tea meetings with all your clients?" he asked cautiously.

"Business tea meetings..? Is that what you think this is?" The CEO seemed to visibly deflate.

The designer cocked his head in confusion. "It's..not..?"

Mr. Park looked down at the strawberry shortcake with a bittersweet smile. "Of course that's the only reason you would come."

Baekhyun wasn't sure what was going on but he didn't like how dejected the handsome CEO seemed to be at the moment. Someone that good looking shouldn't be unhappy. "Did.. I say something wrong?" he asked hesitantly.

"NO! NO YOU'RE PERFECT! I mean- you- well.. I just-"

The designer couldn't help the light blush that had sprung on his face when the CEO called him perfect, but the rest of the stammered explanation left him puzzled. Seeing Mr. Park out of his comfort zone and not being able to express himself was not something he saw everyday. 

He decided to throw the poor guy a lifeline.

Baekhyun gestured to the table. "I also came for the shortcake. It's my favorite dessert." he said smiling warmly. He hoped the effect would be enough to hide the blush that was still lingering on his cheeks.

The result was instant.

Mr. Park sprung into action, gallantly pulling out a chair then offering his hand with the palm up as though he was in the 17th century giving support to an elegant lady climbing into a carriage. Baekhyun felt both charmed and alarmed at the gesture. What was the CEO up to??

He smiled at the offered hand but didn't take it as he sat on the chair. The CEO immediately seated himself in the chair diagonally to the designer's side. A movement caught Baekhyun's attention and he saw a familiar looking assistant leave the beautiful room thru a side door. When he turned back around again a generous serving of strawberry shortcake was sitting on the plate directly in front of him. Baekhyun couldn't help the way his eyes immediately lit up and he didn't hesitate to pick up his fork, preparing to dig in.

But Mr. Park had other plans. "Wait. Before we go on I have something I need to explain. I'm afraid I've been playing dirty."

"Play- um..What?"

The CEO pursed his lips together and squinted one eye closed, wincing as he explained. "It's my fault you haven't been able to enjoy your favorite dessert lately."

"I beg your pardon?" The designer didn't understand the point the CEO was trying to make.

The CEO squinted both eyes shut. "I paid the baker to not make any shortcake for a week."

"I'm sorry...What??" Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed in his confusion. This made no sense. "What baker..? And why would you do that..?"

Mr. Park opened an eye. "The baker at the deli next to your shop." He opened the other eye and reached out to grab the designer's hand as if he thought Baekhyun would leave. "I had to get your attention! I thought it would work..!"

The designer shook his head and put his other hand up in the air, effectively hushing the blabbering man. "You- wait.. let me get this straight. You PAID the baker to NOT make my favorite dessert because you wanted to TALK TO ME..??" By now Baekhyun was incredulous. "I- Wha-.."

The CEO dropped his head and also his hand from the table, releasing Baekhyun's hand. But he raised his head back up just as quickly with a determined look on his face. "I apologize for any frustration my actions may have caused you, but I am not sorry for the result since it got you here today. I will forever consider this our first date and if you will allow me to court you I will do everything in my power to make each date going forward just as memorable and special to both of us." By now the CEO had returned his hand to clasping the designer's hand.

Baekhyun sat dumbly on his chair for a moment, absolutely flabbergasted. He stared at the CEO as if the man had turned into a talking head of broccoli. There was only so much shock one man could take.

Unsurprisingly it had to be expressed.

"WHAT on earth are you talking about?? DATE? COURT?? FRUSTRATION?? HELL YEAH I'm frustrated!! WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU THINKING?? I don't care how hot you are I will NOT be a mistress to a married man! This is-"

"MARRIED?? WAIT- You think I'm hot?" The CEO's shock quickly morphed into a smirk and he leaned in close to the red faced spluttering designer. Baekhyun reacted jerking his hand away and aggressively pushing the tall man's chest to put some distance between them. The action caused the lanky CEO to go tumbling from his chair and he landed rather ungracefully with a yelp in an azalea bush.

Despite feeling the eversoslightest bit gratified that he had stood up for himself, the businessman in the designer's brain went into panic mode. "OH MY GOD! I am SO sorry! Are you alright?? I did NOT mean to do that- well I mean, I did, but still-"

Deep laughter cut him off. "And I thoughtwas the nervous one.." The CEO's laughter slowed to a grin as he climbed out of the bush and sat back down, brushing off his pants and straightening his jacket. A smudge of dirt had ground into the fabric on his knee and Baekhyun stared at it woefully a second.

But then the CEO's words clicked in his brain and he couldn't stop the thoughts tumbling out. "Why were you nervous? Is it about Ms. Yoora's dress? Don't tell me she changed her mind! It would be such a shame if she didn't wear our dress now. It's going to look gorgeous on her-"

"Oh nonono!" The CEO interrupted, shaking his hands in denial. "She hasn't shut up about her dress since that first visit. I think Mom is already getting tired of hearing about it.." he grinned awkwardly.

"Oh dear. I'd hate for her to have bad relations with her mother-in-law."

"I don't know how her mother-in-law feels about it, but I've seen Mom roll her eyes a couple of times when sis starts in about it each time.." The CEO paused his rambling and looked back at the designer who was staring at him like he had turned into that talking broccoli again. "I guess I sound like an idiot don't I.. asking to date you then talking about my family. But they would love you- well my sister already does but you probably know that by now. Still- Hey are you ok?"

The designer had brought both hands up to his head, massaging his temples. This whole confusing conversation was giving Baekhyun a headache from trying to follow it. "Maybe..?" he whimpered.

"Maybe? Do you need something for a headache? Is it my talking? I should shut up. I get chatty when I'm nervous. I'm sorry." The CEO quickly sat back in his chair.

The designer lifted his head to look at the handsome man. The CEO had placed both hands obediently in his lap and looked as though he was a dog waiting for directions from it's owner. The image was endearingly cute, not like a potential cheating spouse at all.

Was he wrong..?

Baekhyun took a deep breath. "Ok. Let me get this straight."

The CEO perked up. If he had a tail it would be wagging in his eagerness.

The designer chuckled inwardly but ignored the urge to pat the cute dog-like man on the head. "So Ms. Yoora still loves the dress..?" he asked.

Mr. Park nodded, eyes wide.

"And your mother is almost tired of hearing about it..?"

Again a nod, but with slightly apologetic eyes.

"But you don't know how her mother-in-law feels about it.."

This time a shake of the head, but with positive eye contact and a little smile.

"So... you're.. NOT the groom..?"

The dog exploded. "GOD no! Yoora is my sister!!"

Baekhyun covered his mouth as he snorted at his own stupidity in the whole situation. He tried to recover, quickly schooling his face to appear professional. "I am so sorry for misunderstanding."

The CEO looked amused. "So.. you thought was the one getting married..?"

This time it was the designer's turn to nod, a bit sheepishly. He put his own hands down in his lap, mirroring the CEO's pose from before.

Mr. Park looked as tho he was worried about his next question. "So.. What do you think?"

Baekhyun blinked. "About..what?"

"About dating. Me." The worried look became hopeful. "Please?"

The designer took in a shakey breath.  All this time that he had been fighting his attraction to the handsome man, the CEO was actually feeling the same? 

There was only one thing Baekhyun could think to say.

He poked his fork into his strawberry dessert. "Does this mean I won't have to sit alone at the table for Yoora's wedding?"

 

The beautiful scenery of the indoor garden paled in comparison to the CEO's laughter.

 

 

Sewing needle~♡~Thread

 

 

{Epilogue}

The CEO and designer were both busy people. It took almost 3 weeks before they finally got to go on a second date.

They counted the shortcake azalea incident as their first date tho, so it was fitting those items were the theme for their engagement party a year later.

 

 

 

{Epilogue to the epilogue}

Sehun and Jongdae did eventually get together.

The assistant flirted his a** off but deliberately waited for the tailor to make the final move. The blonde knew the shorter man was a little skittish, and figured it might be from previous experiences. 

When the tall assistant came for the final fitting of his suit, he looked SO hot the tailor couldn't help himself and walked up and just kissed him right there in the middle of the shop. Before Jongdae could be embarrassed by his own actions the assistant grabbed his hand and led him to the back of the workroom where they had privacy, and careful yet genuine declarations of affection and desire were expressed by both men.

Minseok tried to not listen but ended up fanning himself in an opposite corner of the room to try to collect himself.

The seamster also ended up fangirling over text in the group chat with Baekhyun and Luhan about what he had unintentionally overheard.

Jongdae tried to act mortified later, but in reality he couldn't stop beaming in happiness.

 

The CEO whacked his assistant in the head for taking so long. Face with hand over mouth