Chapter Three

The Measure of Loveliness

The next morning Baekhyun arrived at to find his tailor bustling about, spraying the countertops and furniture, and wiping them down aggressively. A broom and dustpan were propped against the mirrors, and the trashcan was freshly emptied.

The designer watched, amused. "What brought all this on? Did we have a dust attack overnight that I wasn't aware of?"

Jongdae grunted as he stretched to reach the ledge he was dusting. "We haven't..cleaned in..a while..and I just thought..it should be done."

Baekhyun grinned. "Oh? Why now..particularly?"

The tailor put his rag down on the counter and reached for the broom, deliberately avoiding eye contact. "Oh~ no reason.."

"This doesn't have anything to do with a certain tall blonde assistant that might be coming by, does it?"

Jongdae's grip on the broom handle tightened.

Baekhyun burst out laughing. "I knew it! What time did he call?"

The tailor's ears were pink. "He left the message at six this morning.." he admitted.

"Aaaannd?"

Jongdae sighed and rolled his eyes before replying. "He said that... hewantsmetomakehimfeelspecialtoo."

"Ooooo~!"

The designer's laughter was infectious and they were both still laughing as Minseok entered the shop, grinning widely. "Glad to see my arrival makes you so happy!" he quipped.

Baekhyun gestured to the tailor. "Our boy is gonna try to reel in the fish he seems to have caught!"

"You mean- hot, blonde, and bashful?" The seamster's grin positively sparkled.

"His name is Oh Sehun, and he's coming for a suit fitting at 10am." Jongdae replied, grabbing the dustpan and sweeping some imaginary dirt into it.

Baekhyun and Minseok exchanged a look. The designer sighed. "We know what your thinking, Dae.."

"Not everyone is out to screw you over.. this guy seems to really be interested." The seamster crouched down to hold the dustpan. "Besides.. You're not alone this time. Me and B will him UP if he messes with you."

Jongdae chuckled and looked up. "Yeah, it does make me sleep better at night knowing my friends have black belts in taekwando and hapkido. Big menace in small packages.."

"Hey who you calling small, shorty!" Baekhyun smarted off.  Minseok snorted in laughter and shook his head.

The good-natured bickering continued as the three friends the rest of the lights, turned the plaque on the door over, started brewing the first pot of coffee, and made their way to their work stations to begin the business of the day.

 

Mr. Oh arrived for his appointment at exactly 10am.

Jongdae was left alone with the tall blonde since Baekhyun and Minseok claimed they were too busy to help. Instead they hid around the corner in the workshop, trying to keep quiet, giggling as they listened to the conversation.

It was obvious Mr. Park's assistant was determined to show his interest in the tailor, making flirtatious comments and complimenting him until Jongdae was flustered and occasionally stuttering.

Baekhyun had to admire Mr. Oh's confidence. The man of his own dreams was taken, but if he had that much confidence and also a ton of courage, maybe.. The bell rang at the front of the shop.

The phrase "speak of the devil and he shall appear" immediately came to Baekhyun's mind as he heard a deep voice echo warmly around the corner. "So, how is it going Sehun?"

Minseok shot a surprised yet pleased look at Baekhyun. The designer pursed his lips and raised his eyebrows. They heard Jongdae and Mr. Oh conversing casually with the CEO, but then almost fell over at the powerful man's next words. "So is Mr. Byun working hard today?"

Jongdae's slightly sarcastic reply echoed around the corner. "He's always busy with something but I don't know how hard he's working at the moment.."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes in mock annoyance at the seamster's stifled laughter and he lightly whacked Minseok on the shoulder.

"So do you think he's too busy for me to see him for a minute?" The CEO's words made the two men in the workshop freeze. They exchanged a panicked look for a moment then made a mad scramble for their workstations.

A second later Jongdae came thru the workshop doorway.

Baekhyun looked up innocently. "Oh hey, Dae.."

"Don't 'Hey' me.. Mr. Park is here."

The designer gave a nod. "I ordered material for the dress and suit yesterday. If he wants changes I can cancel the order but-"

"He wants to see you." Jongdae's satisfied grin was full force.

Baekhyun grabbed a notebook and pencil from his desk then stood from his workstation.

"Go get your man!"

Minseok's words had the designer whirling around at the doorway to hiss back through gritted teeth. "He. Is. The. GROOM!"

The CEO spoke up behind him. "I'm the wha- OH! You're using them!" The tall man pointed delightedly at the pencil in the designer's hand.

Baekhyun looked down at his own hand in confusion. A bright green foam sleeve stared back at him from between his slender fingers. "Umm Yes.. they work very well. Thank you, sir."

Behind the CEO the tailor and Mr. Oh both facepalmed. Baekhyun ignored their actions and put the notebook onto the counter, holding his pencil over it as he prepared to write. "Did you need some changes to the design of the suit or dress that we are working on for you?"

The CEO's big eyes looked even bigger as he responded. "NO NO! Not at all! Your designs are perfect! Really!"

Baekhyun felt confused. "Then.. what can I help you with today, sir?"

"I was wondering.. Do you ever get to attend the events where your dresses are worn?"

The surprise was evident on the designer's face. He cocked his head, but before he could respond, the CEO spoke. "Because if you haven't I thought maybe you would like to attend."

"..what?"

"Come to the Park wedding and you can see the dress as Yoora wears it for her big day!"

"I- I beg your pardon?" The designer felt torn. It was enough torture that the CEO was taken, but now the man was rubbing salt in the wound of the designer's heart. Even if it was an honest request, it wasn't fair. Baekhyun tried to keep the look of discomfort off his face.

The CEO noticed. "Or..maybe you don't like weddings..?"

The designer silently scolded himself. It wasn't good business to make customers uncertain about ANYTHING. "Oh no, that's not it at all!" He plastered on as reassuring a smile as he could manage. "It's just..I'll be busy. That day.. I simply won't be able to be there. I am very sorry Mr. Park."

The CEO looked disappointed. "So you also won't get to see the beautiful suits you created when Sehun and I wear them. We'll be the best dressed there!"

Baekhyun didn't have the heart to correct him. Technically Jongdae was creating the suits. But that didn't matter in this current conversation. What mattered was "Well of course you will! You're supposed to be! And we'll make sure you look so good Yoora won't be able to take her eyes off you!"

The CEO burst out laughing. "She keeps an eye on me all the time. You'd think she could take a break on her own wedding day!" The tall laughing man's comment made the designer and tailor exchange a puzzled look while the CEO's assistant facepalmed again.

Sehun shook his head and turned to his boss. "Sorry to bring it up, but you have the meeting for the Pimlico merger in 45 minutes, Sir."

The CEO jumped, looking at his watch. "CRAP! Right. OK.. sorry to have to run. See you again soon, I hope Mr. Byun?"

Baekhyun blinked. "Well.. Yes! Of course! Have a good day gentlemen."

The CEO and his assistant left thru the front door, both waving cutely before the door closed behind them. Baekhyun stared blankly at the door with the slightly fake smile still plastered on his face.

But Jongdae sunk down, weak-kneed onto the platform in front of the mirrors. "Oh thank god I can breathe now."

The designer cocked his head in question. "Why? Were you holding your breath?"

The seamster came around the corner with a sly grin as he looked at the tailor. "Blonde Hottie doing a number on your heart, huh?"

"Ugh yes." Jongdae whimpered.

Baekhyun shared the seamster's grin as he asked, "Which question were you answering?"

The tailor whimpered again and raised his head. "Both!"

Baekhyun and Minseok burst into fits of laughter. Jongdae rolled his eyes at his friends then smirked at the designer. "Just you wait. I'll make Park's suit so hot you'll have wet dreams just thinking about him in it!"

Baekhyun stopped laughing. "That's just cruel. Now I know I'll have to find somewhere else to be when he comes for final fitting so I don't make a fool of myself before he leaves with his suit!"

It was the tailor's turn to burst out laughing and the seamster joined in. Baekhyun pouted at his friends. "No fair! Your hottie is unattached and likes you, and Min's already hitched. I'm here floundering like a fish out of water every time I see Park, and I can't have him!"

Minseok grinned and patted his frustrated friend on the shoulder. "Consider this paybacks for how you tortured me with Lulu.."

"That was 8 years ago!" Baekhyun spluttered.

The seamster's grin grew wider. "Guess that's why it's called a !"

"No, YOU are!"

Jongdae cackled.

Baekhyun his laughing friend. "Guess I'll let Mr. Oh know you'd love to be his plus one for the wedding."

The tailor stopped laughing. "You wouldn't dare."

"Oh yes I would. You'll already be drooling thinking about him in your creation. Might as well do it in person!" The designer grinned wickedly and turned to go back to the workroom. "Who's the NOW boys?"

Minseok and Jongdae groaned. The seamster nudged the tailor. "Look what you started.."

"I started?? YOU started it before I ever came along!"

Baekhyun couldn't stop laughing.

 

That afternoon the bell on the door rang at precisely 4:30, announcing the arrival of the bride of the Park wedding.  Baekhyun thanked her for coming and quickly took all the necessary measurements, this time using Minseok to write everything down as he talked to the lovely lady.  She was quiet but seemed very pleased, smiling a lot as the designer explained more details of the plans for her dress.  Minseok even took a liking to her, reassuring her that she would be in good hands.  When they were done Miss Yoora thanked them graciously and then left.

Within 24 hours the weekend was upon them, and that was when {BHouse} was the busiest. Catering to their customers' needs, the shop was open longer hours on Saturdays and earlier in the morning on Sundays as well.

Weekends were also when Minseok's husband helped with deliveries. Being held in such high regard, the business could charge a nice little(big) delivery fee for customers that were in need of last minute items. Such customers were often high-brow self-important individuals, so the seamster's sassy husband was the perfect person for the job.

That Saturday mid-morning the door to the shop chimed once again.

Baekhyun put his fingers up to pinch the bridge of his nose. The designer was at his workstation trying to get a redesign drawn for a particularly picky bridesmaid that insisted on waiting for the drawing. The shop had been busy with customers all morning, and this young lady was giving him fits over the A-line angle of her skirt. Baekhyun grumbled to himself. "Her hippo hips are gonna make this thing look like a church bell anyway-"

"Baekkieboo~!"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "LuLuBell..." he deadpanned.

A thin man with big beautiful eyes and fluffy bangs bounced over to the designer's area and propped himself against the tabletop. "A drawing on a Saturday? Who's the ?"

"She happens to be waiting for it so lower your voice." Baekhyun muttered.

The thin man huffed, rolling his eyes. "Still a ."

The designer smiled his first real smile of the day. "True." The door chimed again and the smile went away.

Minseok leaned his head around the corner. "Hello love! Baek, visitor." The seamster smiled apologetically.

Baekhyun sighed and picked up the drawing as he stood from his chair. "I'm basically done with this anyway. Min, you go over this with the lady and I'll greet my customer." He handed the drawing to his friend as he walked thru the doorway.

A familiar slender figure greeted him. "Mr. Byun!"

Baekhyun smiled warmly. "Miss Yoora! How very nice to see you. How can we help you today?"

The lady had an embossed envelope in her hand, which she carefully handed to the designer. "I wanted to deliver this to you myself. It would be lovely to have you there."

Baekhyun swallowed subtly, keeping the smile on his face. He knew what he was holding and also knew there was no getting out of it now. He carefully opened the envelope to view the elegant lettering, his eyes glazing over in a weak attempt to protect his heart.

Insult to injury.

The date came into focus and the designer cleared his throat. "I'll definitely have to clear my calendar. It wouldn't do to miss such a lovely occasion."

The lady beamed. "Oh I'm so happy to hear that. Yeollie told me you might not be able to come but I so wanted to invite you!"

That was hitting below the belt.

Baekhyun held back his frustration as he bid the lady goodbye. The CEO of Park Industries obviously knew exactly how to get people to cooperate. But the designer wasn't without some firepower of his own. He could slay with the best of them.

And this called for some serious slaying.

"DAE!"

The tailor jumped and almost dropped the pins in his hand. He apologized to his customer then raised his eyebrows at the designer that was walking over.

"My black Clancy. Can you go over that before the 9th of June?"

Jongdae liked to give names to all of his custom suits. The best one he had ever created was one he and the designer had named together. Clancy held a place of honor in Baekhyun's closet, and was only brought out in extreme situations.

The tailor's eyebrows went higher. "Really." It wasn't a question.

Baekhyun nodded. "Yep. This definitely qualifies."

Jongdae's grin grew a mile wide and he whooped, scaring a few customers. Their reaction brought the designer back to reality and he bowed in apology before scurrying back to the workshop. Baekhyun plopped down in his seat at his workstation.

The weekend delivery guy looked up from the mother-in-law dress he had been inspecting. "Was Dae's whoop connected to your attitude?"

The designer sighed in resignation. "You'll find out anyway so I might as well tell you."

Luhan came over, leaning against the tabletop. As Baekhyun went thru a quick summary of the reason for his frustration over having received an invitation to the Park wedding, the thin man took the embossed envelope and pulled the paper out, admiring the beautiful calligraphy. Jongdae came into the room and looked over Luhan's shoulder then whistled. The two men looked at each other then very deliberately looked back at the designer.

"What?" Baekhyun asked, confused.

"Clancy is definitely the suit to wear for this wedding!" the tailor grinned. 

The designer raised an eyebrow. "I thought we already agreed on that..?"

The bell at the front chimed again. Minseok popped his head around the corner. "Baek your 11 o'clock is here."

Baekhyun sent a strange look at the two men still grinning at him, then walked to the front. The tailor turned to the delivery man. "Get Min in on this. It's funny B's oblivious but we have to make sure he sweeps Mr. CEO off his feet!"

Luhan nodded. "Definitely. If we have our way you'll be making two wedding suits in a years time!"

"It's his turn to be happy." 

 

The rest of the day went by in a blur. Luhan went on a lunch run and brought back sandwiches and drinks for the busy trio still at the shop. They always kept the appointment schedule open around noon so they could eat lunch, but their next client arrived exactly at 1pm. 

6 hours, 4 dresses, and 2 suits later Baekhyun went to the front door, turned off the outside lights, turned over the plaque and locked the door. He leaned his head against the cold glass of the door.

Jongdae came up and put his hands on the designer's shoulders. "Worn out?" 

Baekhyun made an agreeing noise.

"C'mon. Let's call you in a pizza to go from Marco's before you leave so you can crash after eating when you get home."

The designer looked gratefully at his friend. "You know exactly what I need."

The tailor smirked. "More than you know.."

 

The next few days {BHouse} was busy as always.

Jongdae and Minseok noticed their usually talkative friend was quieter and more diligent than usual.  The designer took his usual Wednesday off but neither of the two men received any texts or calls from the generally chatty designer. 

He was back at the shop on Thursday and had the coffee brewed and halfway thru his first cup before they arrived for work.  The material for the Park clothing also arrived early that morning, and Baekhyun barely smiled at the delivery man as he signed for the large parcels.

Usually he would gush over new material, joking about the "fresh dye smell" and patting himself on the back about his cloth choices.  But today he opened the boxes quickly, unwrapping the plastic and paper from the bolts and doing a cursory glance over the material edging. Satisfied there was no snagging or discoloration on the ends, Baekhyun plopped one of the bolts of organza down on the cutting table and began to unroll it, spreading it lengthwise after reaching a certain point.

Minseok walked over to the table. "Jumping on the Park dress?"

The designer nodded once, his lips tight in concentration. The seamster leaned casually against the table edge, watching the designer lay out pattern pieces.  Baekhyun laid small stones in spots, holding the thin paper taut before slicing thru the material with precision.  Multiple layers of cut material began stacking up on the small side table, the designer continuing to cut as the seamster systematically folded each with a wide colored ribbon laid between the pieces. 

The two had developed their system years before and it worked beautifully.

Red for the skirting pieces, blue for the bodice, green for sleeving, yellow for lining, purple for edging, pink for miscellaneous.  The rainbow of colors always made the designer smile.  He felt it somewhat fitting considering his preferences. 

Today his smile came reluctantly.

Minseok noticed his pensive mood. "Penny for your thoughts?"

Baekhyun sighed. "I don't know if they're worth even that."

The seamster nudged his friend gently. "I can spare the change.. Spill."

The designer busied himself gathering the remnants. "It's just.. I'm not sure."

Minseok raised his eyebrows but kept quiet, listening. 

Baekhyun huffed as he flung the scraps of material into the large remnants bin.  He moved another bolt of material onto the cutting table then turned to his friend. "I'm not sure why this is affecting me so much.. Y'know?"

"Park?"

"Park, the dress, Yoora, the suits, everything! I mean.. the minute she handed me that invitation I felt so... small. He is such a powerful man and he obviously gets what he wants. And yet it's like.. he's trying to take my heart too? What's he gonna do with it? He already has hers..! What the hell does he need mine for??"  By now the designer had his hands in the air, gesturing wildly as his voice rose in aggravation. 

The seamster was quick to move in and hug his friend, making soothing shushing noises.

The tailor stood in the doorway.

Minseok shot a look at Jongdae, and the tailor nodded then silently walked away. 

A few moments later the front door chimed.  Baekhyun pulled back with a short sniff. "Better get that.."

The seamster patted his shoulder, "I'm on it." then smiled and walked to the front.

Baekhyun sighed as he looked down at his hands.  He stepped to the washroom and carefully washed and dried his hands.  As he came back out, Minseok walked back into the workroom. "I gave them a card.  Dae stepped out for a minute. I think he's going next door. Want anything?"

A new delicatessen had opened a few months back and the three workers of often enjoyed their specialty desserts.  Baekhyun smiled his first real smile of the day. "You know my favorite."

Minseok pulled out his phone. "A slice of strawberry shortcake for both of us then!"

The designer smiled wider as he tossed his paper towel in the trash. "Thank youuu..!"

The seamster chuckled and shook his head. "The things we do for you.."

 

Three blocks over Jongdae huffed as he looked down at his phone. "This is gonna take some time!"