Chapter Four

The Measure of Loveliness

Jongdae huffed as he looked down at his phone. "This is gonna take some time!"

"Hello beautiful!"

The tailor turned around at the familiar voice. He blushed from the compliment but kept a small smile on his face, determined. "I've gotta make this quick."

The blonde man fake pouted. "You don't want to spend time with me?"

Jongdae blushed deeper. "Yes! No! I mean- I- well.."

The assistant chuckled. "It's ok. You said you needed help with something..?"

The tailor smiled gratefully. "Yes. So.. The Park wedding. I saw the invitation."

"Yeah they did it up nice, didn't they. Really classy. I liked it." Sehun said appreciatively.

"Yes, but..um.."

The blonde raised his eyebrows in a silent question.

"It was only after I saw it that I realized we've had our wires crossed from the beginning."

"Wires..?"

"Yeah.." The tailor grinned then blurted out, "Baek thinks Park is the groom!"

"WHAT? Why would he think that?"

Jongdae gave the CEO's assistant a quick explanation of the misunderstandings that had been happening from the first time his powerful boss stepped into the formalware shop. Soon both men were laughing loudly together, distracting the pedestrians passing them on the sidewalk.

"This is GREAT!" Sehun chortled. "Park has a crush on your friend and has been bugging me for ideas on how to ask him out!"

The tailor's eyes lit up. "I thought it might be something like that.. And Baek has it bad for your boss too! We've got to get them together somehow.."

The assistant nodded. "Yeah I agree. Do you have any ideas?"

Jongdae grinned. "Does your boss like strawberry shortcake?"

 

 

20 minutes later the door of the shop chimed.

Jongdae gestured for the delivery girl that walked in with him. "Just there on the counter, thanks.."

Baekhyun came out from the workroom. "Did you get lost? What's all this?" He eyed the three pastry boxes stacked prettily on the countertop, logo stamped on the sides with thin ribbons around the stack and a card on the top box. The designer reached for the card, noting the logo. "Did you buy ALL the strawberry shortcake from next door??"

The tailor figited. "Not exactly." He waved at the delivery girl as she left the shop, then turned back to the designer.

Baekhyun was reading the card. "..our apologies and accept these doughnuts instead..??" He slipped the ribbon off and flipped open a box to find a dozen variety doughnuts. "They didn't have shortcake?" The disappointment in the designer's voice was obvious.

Minseok walked out. "What's going- oooh! Doughnuts! Is there a chocolate covered one?" He opened another box.

"They didn't have shortcake.." the designer repeated with a sad tone.

"Sorry B." the tailor apologized. "You know they only make so much each day, and apparently someone bought it all today already.. I'll try again tomorrow." He nodded confidently.

Baekhyun smiled. "Ok then.."

The next afternoon Jongdae announced since he needed a break from work, he would go next door to get some strawberry shortcake for the three of them. Baekhyun agreed happily. But the tailor came back with a box of cream puffs instead, saying the shortcake was already sold out.

Baekhyun sulked briefly but then said he wasn't mad since it wasn't Jongdae's fault.

Minseok thumped the tailor on the back as he coughed on a mouthful of cream puff. The designer laughed at his friend then went back to embroidering tulle.

 

They sent Luhan the next day. But again there was no shortcake available.

Jongdae said it was a good thing since he didn't want to force the staff of into diabetes if they couldn't enjoy shortcake together.

Baekhyun was puzzled why Minseok and Luhan both chose that moment to whack the tailor's head.

The door chimed and Jongdae ran to the front to greet the customer as he rubbed his head.  Minseok took a loud sip of his coffee and turned back to his sewing machine.

 

The next day was Sunday. The delicatessen was closed and the men of were to busy to think of desserts.

 

But the following day Baekhyun announced HE would be going next door to get the coveted strawberry shortcake.

5 minutes later the chime at the shop door heralded the return of a very agitated designer. "On a Monday even! They are ALREADY sold out! And do you know why??"

Minseok and Jondae exchanged a look then turned to their friend, shaking their heads innocently.

"They've been selling it every morning to Park Industries! It's a standing order! I have half a mind to make that controlling man's suit 3 times too big! Who does he think he is?? Letting his people have our dessert! Auggh!!" Baekhyun stomped over to his work station, his hands flailing.

Minseok tried to hide his chuckle. "Heheh..um Baek.. Technically it's not our dessert."

"I know that. It's just not fair to the rest of us." The designer pouted.

Jongdae grinned. "Does it make you wanna go give the man a piece of your mind OW- Hey!" He rubbed the spot where the seamster had whacked him on the head.

"Dae, you're getting hit on the head a lot lately.." Baekhyun observed thoughtfully.

Minseok innocently sipped his coffee.

 

 

It was quiet for a Monday. There were no scheduled appointments and for once the bell on the door chiming didn't seem intrusive later that afternoon. Baekhyun stood up, stretching his back and flexing his fingers as he waited for Jongdae to come back after greeting the customer.

Instead of the tailor, Baekhyun was surprised to see a familiar blonde head peek around the corner. "Mr. Oh! Um.. Did you..come to see the progress of your suit?"

The assistant smiled. "No, Jongdae's keeping me informed thank you." 

Baekhyun and Minseok exchanged a knowing look.

"I see~" Baekhyun wiggled his eyebrows at the tailor who was squirming in embarrassment, then turned back to the assistant. "So how may we help you today?"

"I've brought this.." The blonde carefully stepped around a stack of liner boxes to hand the designer a square envelope.

"Another invitation? Who's getting married now.." Baekhyun's voice drifted off as he turned the envelope over to open it.

"I was told to hand it directly to you. Now that's done I actually need to get back to work. Have a great day, gentlemen!" The assistant turned to leave.

"I'LL- I'll see you out.." the tailor blushed and stumbled on air as he turned away from the group.

"Min, whack him on the head for me next, will you?" Baekhyun grinned at the now empty doorway where the two men had just left. The seamster grinned back as he sipped his coffee.

"On second thought.. I might just do the whacking myself." the designer said slowly as he read the card he had pulled out of the envelope.

Minseok looked puzzled. "Baek..?"

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, looking at Jongdae who was walking back into the workroom. "I smell a rat.."

The tailor and seamster looked at each other, then Jongdae spoke up. "Ah-a what?" he asked, a little hesitant.

Baekhyun pursed his lips together. "Oh.. nothing." He tossed the envelope over to the side as he sat down at his workstation with a sigh then picked up a needle and shifted the tulle back onto his lap. He maneuvered the magnifying lense over the next area for embroidery, then threaded the needle from the silken spool beside him, staying quiet and deep in thought.

A hush fell over the room as he began to stitch the leafy pattern again.

Jongdae and Minseok exchanged a worried look before the seamster spoke up. "Hey, B.. wanna tell us what was on the invitation?"

Baekhyun paused mid-stitch. "Not really.. but you can read it if you want." He flicked his head in the direction of the envelope sitting beside him.

Minseok came over and picked up the envelope. It was small but elegant, and had a large "P" embossed on the back in place of a seal. The seamster began reading out loud. "The pleasure of your company is humbly requested at the indoor rooftop garden of Park Plaza.. Whoa this is-"

"Don't even think it." Baekhyun rolled his eyes at his friend.

Jongdae came bouncing over. "What? What's it say? I wanna know!"

Minseok grinned. "Cinderella here has been invited to the ball.. and it looks exclusive."

"Don't be silly.. Glass slippers don't come in my size." Baekhyun scoffed and aggressively pushed the needle through the material.

By now the tailor had read the invitation and he grinned widely at the designer. "Maybe not, but you look good in powder blue and your hair up."

Baekhyun snorted, but suddenly yanked his hand upwards. "Dammit Dae, you made me poke myself.."

He stretched to grab a tissue from the corner of the workstation as Minseok helpfully pulled the material from the designer's lap. Baekhyun wrapped the tissue around his finger and glared at the tailor. "No shortcake, huh?"

Jongdae had the decency to look sheepish.

The seamster affectionately locked eyes with his long time friend. "You deserve this."

"I deserve what? To go up there and pine like an idiot? He's not available Min! What part of that don't you understand??" the designer huffed.

"Um.. maybe you'll have a better time than you think?" Jongdae offered.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he pulled the tissue off his finger, inspecting the small wound. He threw the tissue away then pulled the material back out of the seamster's arms.

The other two waited silently.

The designer pursed his lips as he picked up the needle again. 

A stitch later Baekhyun broke the silence. "Recon' my grey Aston will work for an afternoon of tea and strawberry shortcake..?"

Jongdae whooped and Minseok grinned. "I feel like a fairy godmother.."

 

 

The next morning the designer fumbled with a cloth suit bag over one arm, a crossbody bag over his shoulder, and a half-full Starbucksⓒ coffee cup, while ungracefully unlocking and turning the handle of the shop door.  At that moment the tailor for came running up.

"Here- let me help.." Jongdae moved his own crossbody bag out of the way to grab the suit bag then pushed the door opened the rest of the way. Baekhyun smiled in thanks, grunting as he stumbled into the shop.

Jongdae followed him. "I don't remember your Aston being this heavy."

"I've got wingtips in there too." the designer admitted sheepishly as he continued walking through the shop into the workroom.

"Ooohh.. Changing shoes for the tea party? Fancy..! But your wingtips lace up, so Cinderella can't mistakenly leave one behind for Prince Charming.."

"Prince Charming is taken." Baekhyun rolled his eyes at the tailor. "I'll just have to find another handsome CEO or maybe even a hardworking assistant." He grinned as the tailor made a sudden indignant sound at him. "Don't worry I won't take your assistant."

"He's not mine." Jongdae grumbled.

Baekhyun continued to grin.. "Not yet maybe.." He cackled as the tailor spluttered.

The door chimed and Minseok came breezing into the workroom. "Morning ladies~" he singsonged, then spotted the suit bag now hanging on the clothing rack. "You brought the Aston?"

"Aaand wingtips!" Jongdae wiggled his eyebrows mischievously.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "Not like it matters.." he muttered, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Oh hush. You're gonna look amazing and show that CEO what he's missing." the tailor said sassily.

The designer shook his head and chuckled with a wry grin on his face. The seamster also chuckled but camouflaged it by busying himself with the coffee maker, starting their first pot of caffeine for the day.

 

 

6 hours later Baekhyun checked his reflection in the three-way mirror.

His wingtipped shoes gleamed, a beautiful accent to his grey "Aston". The slimline double-ed suit with matte buttons and notched lapels hugged his body in all the right areas without being vulgar. Minseok had insisted on gelling and styling Baekhyun's hair, crowning the look.

Jongdae grinned broadly and rocked a little on his heels in excitement as he stood next to the mirror, eyeing his friend. Minseok came out of the workroom with the invitation in his hand. "Here you go."

"Oh good - thanks!" Baekhyun took the envelope, slipping it in the inside pocket of his suit jacket. He eyed himself one more time in the mirror then turned to his friends. "I guess I'm ready."

The tailor smiled. "You do clean up good.."

Baekhyun leaned over and whacked his friend on the arm. "Shaddup! I look good all the time!" he grinned.

Minseok nodded. "True. The last time you didn't was way back at uni when you cried thinking you'd failed a test. You wore a maroon button-up cause it matched your bloodshot eyes, but after that maroon was officially added to your "No" list."

Jongae's eyebrows lifted in humor. "Oh so that's why.. I always wondered."

Baekhyun gave his reflection one last nod, checked his watch, then turned to his friends. "Well I'm off then."

They all ambled towards the door.

"Have fun!" The tailor's enthusiasm was overflowing.

The designer rolled his eyes. "I'm just going because it's good for business. And to get some of that shortcake Park's been hogging."

"Sure thing, Sweetie. You keep telling yourself that." Minseok patted his long-time friend on the shoulder, opened the door, and with a knowing smile pushed Baekhyun thru it.

The designer gave the glass of the now closed door an indignant huff. He rolled his eyes at the two laughing men on the other side, checking his reflection one last time in the glass.

Then he turned and walked briskly away, heading towards the large building three blocks over.

 

 

The late summer wind picked up, stirring the heated city air as the designer walked the three blocks to the tall building with the single 'P' monogram on the front. Although Baekhyun wasn't sweating yet, he was praying the rumors about the rooftop gardens being cooled were true. It would be nice to be in an air conditioned space so he could keep cool.

The designer checked his reflection in the glass as he walked towards the large revolving door that led to the lobby.

Still good.

Giving himself a mental "Fighting!", Baekhyun walked into the building.