The Offer

The Experiments

Yerin couldn’t stay cooped up in her apartment anymore. Night had fallen, but it wasn’t quite a reasonable time yet to go to bed. So, she thought maybe a run might help exhaust her and turn off the thoughts bouncing around her head. Oh, how wrong she was.

The problem with running was that it didn’t really take your mind off of anything; in reality, it gave ample time to think, to see faces, to reread the reports that were etched into her head. It was all too much, coming to a in her head before forcing her to a complete stop right there on the sidewalk. Bent over and trying to catch her breath, Yerin was nearly to the point of tears, aggravated that she was utterly powerless to change those boys’ fates.

As her breathing slowed down, it was only her and the quiet left behind. Until faint footsteps broke it. Glancing over her shoulder, she saw someone dressed in a black jacket, hood pulled up and covering up their face. They walking towards her in an obvious manner. Yerin tried to act natural as she straightened and walked on, keeping her ears open.

The pattern of the footsteps grew faster. Risking another look, she saw that the stranger speeding up. Slowly, but getting faster each second. Not hesitating, Yerin broke into a run, pushing herself faster, trying to get back to the safety of the apartment before this stalker could catch her. But her legs weren’t quick enough.

A pair of arms wrapped themselves around her torso, trapping her own underneath them. Her momentum came to an abrupt halt. She struggled against the attacker’s hold, but it did little good. She was lifted off the ground and carried to the dark alley nearby.

“Let me go or I’ll scream,” Yerin warned through gritted teeth. It was her only weapon. She’d never learned self-defense and you wasn’t exactly in the greatest shape. The short run was enough to drain her of all her energy. 

“Calm down, Yerin, it’s me.”

Marcus?

He dropped Yerin immediately as she stopped fighting and she slowly turned to face him, dumbstruck. Then she hit him in the shoulder.

“What the hell was that?” Yerin hissed.

Marcus barely flinched. He should have expected no other reaction. “I’m sorry. I went by your apartment, but you weren’t there. When I happened to come by you, I didn’t realize it was you until you started walking away.”

“So why not just call out my name?” She blinked. His previous confession only now sinking in. “Wait, how did you know where I lived?”

Marcus ran a hand through his hair, effectively removing the hood. “Well, that’s actually what I’m needing to talk to you about. You see, Yerin, you’re the only one I can trust. The only one I think who will help.”

At the momentary breeze, Yerin pulled her jacket in closer around her. It was slightly damp due to the sweat, so it did little help stave off the cold. “Help with what?”

“I’ll start at the beginning.” Marcus looked her steadily in the eye, his demeanor more serious than she'd ever seen before. “My name isn’t really Marcus Rand. It’s Marcus Burns and I work for a private sector of the government.”

It couldn’t be helped. She snorted. “Ha, okay. Have you been drinking, Marcus?” She sniffed, but there was no alcohol in the air.

Marcus didn’t laugh. “I’m serious, Yerin. I was put undercover three years ago, working my way through the ranks until I could get clearance to level sixty-sixty.”

Yerin wanted to roll her eyes at the ridiculousness of it all. This had to be some elaborate prank. “Why would the government need an undercover agent in the part of the building that’s funded by grants they gave EXO?”

“Because they never did give EXO grants for those experiments.”

Her breath hitched in . Why would the company lie about something like that? Why would it matter exactly where the money came from?

No. Now Marcus was flat out lying. Though the grants were public knowledge, a lie about the government paying for the experiements was sure to get out and then the company would be investigated. That wouldn't be able to stay quiet forever. Then again, secrecy was their professional sport. 

“EXO is completely privately funded,” Marcus continued. “We’re trying to discover by who because from we’ve found, EXO is not the only company running these kinds of experiments. They’re just the most successful. We’re trying to shut it all down before the public finds out.”

“Then why doesn’t the government just storm in and close down the experiments,” Yerin argued. That seemed a lot easier than this undercover business. The government had shut down companies before for lesser violations. “Why bother sending in an undercover agent? For years and wasting time.” Admittedly, part of her was growing angry knowing that – if what Marcus was saying was true – he stood by for years and watched the boys be tortured and tested. Granted, she wasn’t doing much better. At least it was effecting her. 

Marcus growled. “Because the directors have bought off most of the politicians who might approve or believe any evidence presented to them. We have no proof of the illegality in what they’re doing. I can’t even prove that the volunteer forms weren’t forged.”

Yerin perked up at that little bit of news. “They wouldn’t be legal anyway. They were all teenagers when they woke up in EXO. They told me themselves.” Maybe there was hope in that. 

Marcus didn’t join in on her enthusiasm. “There’s parental signatures on the papers. Trust me, Yerin, we’ve tried everything. There is no trace of them in any system. As far as the world is concerned, they don’t even exist. The volunteer forms are just there for backup. The names from the parents are probably fake, but we can’t track anyone down to verify that or not. All records of them and their families have been erased. We have no way to shut it down. That’s why we have to get them out of there.”

“Wait, what?” Yerin took a step back, unsure how to process his latest statement. Get... get them out? Out of the lab? Away from the needles and poking and testing?

“My mission has been upgraded. I no longer will simply stand by and take in information anymore.” Lowering his voice, he took a step forward. “Yerin, this is why I’m telling you all of this. I know you’re sympathetic towards them and want to help them. I need clearance that you have access to. We can get them out of there, make the testing stop, give them a chance at a real life. What do you say?”

What did she say? She wanted to say yes. She wanted to see all nine of them smile at the sun as it kissed their skin. She wanted them to no longer be afraid to close their eyes or think that every person who came near them was going to stick them needles or carry them off to a lab to be tested on endlessly. She wanted them free. But that freedom? In the way that Marcus was suggesting? That kind came at a cost.

Over a decade had passed since they were first introduced to the program. Could they survive out here? Could they ever have normal lives again?

And then there was Yerin. What about what happened to her? She’d already made the mistake of trying to help once before in her life. That had been a disaster. 

“No,” Yerin concluded. “No. I’m sorry, but I can’t.”

Marcus’ jaw dropped, not expecting that answer in the slightest. “Yerin–”

“No!” she said more harshly. “I can’t just help you with a jail break. I will lose my job and possibly go to prison, if that's the worse EXO decides to do to me. Can you guarantee that I won’t spend a single night in jail if caught? Or that I won't be thrown in a cell on level sixty-six myself?” He didn’t answer. Yerin scoffed. “Thought so. And not to mention what do we do with them once we get them out? Huh? Have you thought that far?”

“We have contingencies set in place,” Marcus insisted. “I have gone over this plan and every possible scenario. I know we can do it. After we get them away from EXO, they’ll be taken to a safe house and from there we have a facility to help them transition back into society. We’ll give them all new identities. I need you trust me on this.”

“So, from one cage to another for who knows how long.” It was hard, but she couldn’t agree to it. She wanted them free, but she had to find another way. “No, Marcus. I’ve made my decision.”

Taking a step back, Marcus sneered at her. “I thought you wanted to help them.”

“I will,” Yerin snapped back. “But in a way that’s not going to get us all killed. What's a life that ends with a bullet in their chest?”

Ending the conversation, Yerin walked away and back to her apartment, contemplating if this really was the right way to go.


The orderly sat there awkwardly in silence, not making any attempt to speak to her. He didn’t look at her, instead keeping his gaze down at the control panel. Yerin stood to his left. Arms cross and eyebrows knitted together, she stared through the one-way mirror, watching Jongin as he shifted around on the bed.

It was a struggle not to imagine how he could look in the outside world. Girls would flock to him, that was a fact. But was he dangerous? Not to her, but there was that underlining possibility of him losing control and hurting someone else. But did that mean that he didn't deserve a chance? She didn't think so. Studying Jongin's face, Yerin could have sworn he looked paler. The orderly began to drum his fingers against the fiberglass of the panel. Ones in his position are used to being alone most of the day, only speaking briefly with the doctors and guards that passed through a few times a day. It wasn’t the most exciting job, but it paid decently, from what she'd heard.

Readying herself, Yerin nodded to the orderly who looked relieved as he opened the door.

Jongin shuffled over to the corner without even looking to see who had walked in.

“It’s just me,” Yerin informed him gently. He flipped back over, those soft eyes twinkling the smallest bit when they met hers. Even the corners of his lips twitched upwards. The movement was miniscule, almost invisible, but she caught it. 

“How are you today, Jongin?” she asked quietly.

He sat up straighter, surprise taking over his expression. There was a hint of caution underneath. An emotion she couldn't really blame him for. “You know my name?”

“Yes.” Yerin smiled warmly, sitting down in the chair. “But you didn’t answer my question.”

The invisible smile faded quickly. “I can’t sleep.”

“Are you afraid to or just not able to shut your mind off?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. No matter how hard I try, I just can’t get comfortable. I can’t stop thinking. I thought I heard yelling coming from next door, but I couldn’t tell who it was.”

Jongdae. What did they do to him?

Yerin moved the chair to the point where her knees were up against the mattress. It was completely unprofessional, but she ignored that stupid littleethical voice and took Jongin’s hand in her own.

“Tell me what’s going on up there,” she pleaded. Sympathy squeezed at her heart. The way he was affected by the screaming, not even knowing which other person it was... Yerin almost wanted to tell him. But she couldn't put a face to the images in his head. “Let’s see if I can help you sleep.”

Clutching her hand, Jongin scooted closer. That was good sign. A showing of trust. “You might not like what you find in my head.” When she didn’t agree with him, he sighed. “Sometimes, I imagine hurting them.”

“The guards?” Yerin guessed.

“And the doctors. Make them know what it feels like to not have a choice.” Jongin’s grip on her hand tightened. “See how they’d like to be poked and dragged. Treated like nothing. I hate that I think this way, but it’s the only thing that’s keeping me from exploding completely.” Yerin tried not to let her discomfort show as his hand squeezed her own tighter and tighter as he spoke, but the pain became too much and a whimper escaped. He panicked as he let go of her hand, pushing back away from her until his back slammed against the wall. “I’m sorry!”

“You’re okay,” Yerin reassured him, holding her arms out to him, palms facing outward, letting him know that no harm was done. “I’m fine. You’re just a little strong, that’s all. It was an accident.”

Jongin turned his face away, hiding his expression. “I think you should go.”

Yerin frowned. She was losing all the ground she'd gained with him. “Jongin, you didn’t hurt me. I really think we should continue–”

“Go!” he growled, making her jump.

Now she really was hurt, just not physically. Her feelings were wounded. A personal blow. Obeying his wishes, she walked out of the room and back to the lab.


A blank screen stared back at her. What was supposed to happen was she was supposed to spend the day writing up her reports from her notes, ready to be given to Dr. Wang by the end of the day. But the interaction with Jongin less than twenty-four hours ago had her stumped.

Feeling a little lost after he’d kicked her out, Yerin went through quick third rounds with Junmyeon, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo. None of them were as dramatic, but she was obviously distracted during those times. Junmyeon even pointed it out a few minutes into the session, but she’d quickly changed the subject before he could pry into it further.

The reports of the last three were typed up and ready to be printed. It was Jongin that had her frozen because all she wanted was to scream about how all this was wrong and damaging and- ugh! She hated this!

Yerin's hand stung from where she’d slammed it on the metal table. It pulsed red as she lifted it up, air through her teeth as if that would make the stinging going away.

“Is everything all right?”

Dr. Wang walked up to the table, concerned.

“Just a gnat,” Yerin lied.

She frowned, but didn’t contradict the lie. “Dr. Lee, I need to speak with you about your sessions with the subjects.”

Yerin gulped. Hopefully not audibly. Anxiety bounced through her veins like lightening. This was it. Her lack of professionalism and obvious attachment had been found out. It was hard to resist the resignation, to hand over her badge right then and there. As long as that was only consequence. 

“Unfortunately, as much as I prefer it otherwise, they will have to be stopped for the time being.”

Her spine straightened. In her chest, her heart pounded fiercely. She tried to feign ignorance as to why this would be happening. “Why? Did I do something wrong?”

Dr. Wang shook her head. “No, Dr. Kwon simply feels that it’s distracting for them. We’re stepping into the final phase and we need them to be as focused as possible. One of them asked about you and when you were coming again. It was concerning to Dr. Kwon.”

Yerin's jaw dropped. This was not what she had mentally prepared for. There were a few of them that she knew she was making progress on, but... were they getting... that attached? A strange, elating feeling replaced the anxiety. A completely inappropriate reaction. “O-one of them asked about me?”

“Yes.” She sighed. “Subject Ninety-Four did.” Sehun. “He’s the most sensitive out of all of them. We concluded that it would be best for you to go ahead and turn back to your analysis duties for now. We’ll resume your sessions in a month or so.”

“A month?” No. That- that was too long. Yerin jumped up out of her seat. “Dr. Wang, I promise, I’m not a distraction. Truly, I’ve gotten some of them to open up to me. They need this.”

Dr. Wang shook her head. “I’m sorry, Dr. Lee, but the decision has already been made. Simply save whatever you have gathered already. Be prepared to do some blood work tomorrow morning. There’s a large amount that needs to be dealt with.”

As Dr. Wang left the lab, Yerin sank back in her chair. She could hardly believe this. Only a few weeks of getting to know them, and the rug was already being pulled out from under her. There was no room for argument. She simply had to follow orders. She had no rank, no pull to get her way. Would they all be okay after a month? Would they understand that this wasn’t her decision and she didn’t abandon them?

It was crushing. Only controlled breaths in and out would keep the tears and the guilt at bay. Defeated, she saved what little progress she had made on the desktop and shut everything down before running out of the lab and heading home, wanting to cuss up a storm.