Chapter 4

Serendipity

I felt like everyone has become quiet and felt like there were eyes staring at me, which made me feel a little bit self-conscious.

"Uh, do you know her?"

I heard JK said, which made me looked up to them, only to find Jimin staring at me while smiling.

It took me seconds to realize what was happening, and who was the guy staring in front of me.

My eyes widened in surprise, and I felt a little bit of nervous, maybe excitement.

"You're... You're Jimin?" are the first words that came out to my mouth.

"Hello, everyone! Is everybody here already?" Someone suddenly interrupted which made us turned to that person.

"Oh! Hi, Cindy! Nice to see you." Mark greeted and they did some handshake and beso-beso.

"Guys, this is Cindy. She will be our tour guide for today and the rest of the days we'll be here in Taiwan."

We greeted her and she greeted us back. We got our things as we started to get going to our first destination.

I was feeling kind of nervous and excited at the same time. Part of me wants to approach and talk to him now, but the other tells me to wait for him to approach me first.

 

We're headed to some place to eat before we can finally roam Taipei. Cindy is leading our way while talking to Mark and the other girl. What was her name again? It's like, uhm, Jane, yeah, it's Jane. On their back were JK and Jimin, then the other two girls, and then me.

After minutes of walking and deciding on where to eat, we ended up eating at this quite big but crowded place. Cindy told us it's one of the famous places or restaurants here among tourists and for some of the locals as well because of their ramen, and their famous bubble tea.

We entered and took a seat, scanned their menu and ordered. While we were waiting, we decided to talk and get to know each other. Just as we were having some fun talk, Jimin, who was beside me, finally talked to me.

Hey," he greeted which made me turned to him, "it's been a long time. How are you?" He asked, smiling.

I smiled back.

"I thought you won't gonna remember me."

He chuckled.

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?"

"I was in a rush that time. I wasn't able to properly introduce myself. So, I'm Jimin, by the way."

He stretched his hand out for me to shake while smiling, his eyes shaped into a crescent. I looked at him and back to his hand, and then back to him.

"I'm... I'm Kara."

I stutter, but then shook his hand and smiled.

"Finally." I suddenly blurted and chuckled.

"I'm sorry as well. I was uhm, quite stubborn at that time and accused you of being some kind of stalker."

I said and we both laughed.

"It's nice to see you here, in a group tour. I guess this is really some kind of fate, don't you think?"

I suddenly felt something on my chest and my tummy. I laughed awkwardly.

"You think so?"

He nodded. "Why not?"

Someone cleared their throat and it was JK.

"Mind if you introduce me to your girl--- I mean, to your friend?"

"This is JK, by the way. My friend. And this is Kara."

"Ooohh, the Japan girl?"

JK said, which earned him a hit on the stomach from Jimin. I got quite surprised at what he said, and I started making conclusions in my head.

Did Jimin tell him about what happened in Japan? Why does JK know about that? Well, maybe he did. Of course, why wouldn't JK know. So that means, he's still thinking of me, too.

"Kara? Kara?"

"Huh? What? Oh, sorry. What was that?"

"Let's eat." I just nod and we started digging our foods.

 

After eating and resting a little bit, we decided to wander around the underground mall of Taipei. We did some window shopping (already in the first day of our tour) as Cindy also share some facts and tips to us when travelling Taiwan. She shared where the best places to buy your souvenirs, clothes, foods, and other things that are also budget-friendly.

However, we didn't last there and we've finally went to check-in to our booked place in Ximending. After loading our EasyCards, the cards used for payments to transportation, especially trains, buses, and other public transportation as well as in some stores like convenience stores, we rode their MRT in Blue Lane bound to Ximen. It took us just minutes before we arrived. We went to Exit 6 and walked a few meters before we came to the place where we'll be staying in.

After meeting up with the owner of the place and touring us around the house, the owner left and we decided to rest for a bit before we hit back the road. Cindy told us that the actual tour starts tomorrow, and that she'll be leaving us for now and go on our own here at Ximending. After talking to Mark, she bid goodbye to us and left.

________

After a few hours, Mark asked us if we're going out for the night. I agreed to come since I know it'll be boring inside the house.

"We're also coming!" JK raised his hand and stood up after getting his sling bag, camera, and his cap. Jimin did so as well and got his hoodie jacket. The other two girls decided to stay here since their feet hurt, as they say.

We came out and the cold breeze of dusk blew against our faces. People started to pile up along with stalls that sells Street foods and such. There were also people holding signages, but not doing a rally, rather they're selling milk teas. Yes, milk teas. They're everywhere! Souvenir shops also line up in the city streets, and the night is just starting to become alive.

While I was shooting some short videos around Ximending, my camera caught something that stopped me from moving for a moment. I stared at it through the lens, and watch him laugh along with his friend. It took me like a few minutes to capture him before he suddenly turned around and from my camera screen, our eyes had meet.

I quickly turned my cam away as I cleared my throat, pretending as if I'm shooting a different thing. But he suddenly approached me.

"What're you doing?" He asked, and I acted like he just came there.

"Oh, just...shooting some videos around."

"Are you trying to film me?"

"Eh? Ah, no no. I'm not." I cleared my throat and straightened up. "It was nothing. It was for my friend."

"Really?" I saw him smirked at me, which made me gulped a little bit.

"Yes..." I stutter as I nod.

He chuckled.

"Do you wanna come along with us? We're trying to find what's their famous food to try here. Maybe you're interested." He said, and scratched the back of his head.

"Really? Sure, I'd love to."

________

After informing Mark that were just gonna roam around, we started walking along with other people trying to pass by and see what's there to try out.

The sun has already settled down and it started to become crowded in the streets. We were walking down the street searching for this famous Brown Sugar Milk Tea after eating stinky tofu and other street foods, when a motorcycle passed by and almost got me by the arm. But Jimin was able to pull me towards him which had me landing on his chest. My eyes widened in surprise as I felt nervous and my heart beating like crazy. I looked up to see him and he was staring down at me. Then he smiled and everything felt like in slow motion even the way he blinks his eyes. We stayed in that position for like a minute or less or whatever. I wasn't in my right mind to think straight that time so yeah.

___

As JK was about to talk and ask something about Jimin, he noticed he was quite a distance from them already. He saw them in that position and smirked to himself. He pointed his camera at them and started capturing some photos of them and started filming them in that position as he moved closer and closer. As soon as he's nearby, it seems that they're still immersed with each other's stare so he started coughing to snap them back to reality.

Both of them suddenly straightened up as they cleared their throats and faced the other ways. JK was trying to suppress his laugh as he looks at them back and forth.

 

"How was it?"

JK teased, chuckling.

"Stop it." Jimin answered but has a big smile on his face which made his eyes turned into crescent shape.

Jimin then turned to me and asked if I was okay. I just nodded as an answer and was left there with still a little bit floating mind and jelly knees.

--------

The night has gotten deeper and it seems that the crowd has diminished compared to awhile ago. The weather has also started to become cooler and the cold breeze caresses our faces as we continuously walk the streets in Ximending.