Chapter 3

Serendipity

Three months later. 

 

It's been that long but every time since then, I can't get him off my mind. I always thought I could meet him again someday around back here. I always wish and I always hope. But it feels like that wish has started to fade away because there doesn't seem to be any sign of him. Not even a single sign. So I thought, maybe that's just how it's supposed to be. That's where we were only meant to meet and nothing more.

 

​I sighed for the hundredth times as I pick up my coffee to drink, staring at particularly nothing in the air. 

​​​​"Hey, you've been like that since we came here. What's wrong with you?" my friend, Hani, asked looking up from her laptop. 

​​​"What? You're thinking about that guy again? Aigoo." she said while shaking her head. I pouted, and then puffed my cheeks and started to whine. 

​​​"Gosh, have you totally fallen in love with that guy? Snap out of it! You don't even know his name." 

​"That's the thing, Hani! I don't even know his name. And that keeps bugging me. I wanna look for him and ask for his name. Maybe I could finally think in peace if I did." 

​​​"Does he have something to do with you? Why are you so bothered and worried for a guy you just met for days?" 

I just gave her a look and sipped on my coffee. I cleared my throat a few minutes later and turned to her. 

"Anyway, I thought we were meeting someone? Where is that person now?"

"Tch. He said he's on his way. That was like, 30 minutes ago."

"What? Are you sure this time?"

"Yes, dude! He looked legit, though."

"Well, I hope this wouldn't turn out to be like the previous ones we had. Urgh!"

"I'm telling you. I got this."

"Okay, I'm trusting you, my pretty friend. Fighting!"

--------

 

Five days later. 

"So, it's finally coming? We're going to Taiwan!"

"I know, right?"

"And I need to buy another luggage for this trip. So, let's go!"

"Ah~ wait! You just got a new luggage three months ago?"

"That was for Japan. This is Taiwan, come on~!"

Hani gave me a look and just shooked her head as I drag her to the travel section at the department store.

So, Hani and I decided to try out joining a group tour going to Taiwan. Well, we just want to see how it goes out. And there's nothing bad about traveling with other people, right? Besides, we have to do some work-related stuff there, might just wanna take our time while we're at it. Anyways, I'm quite excited. And oh, I forgot to tell that Hani will be coming with his boyfriend, so, yeah.

------------------

 

"Where the heck are you guys now?"

"Sorry. I'm really sorry. I should've told you earlier. I'm so sorry."

"Sorry for what? What do you mean? Where are you guys? We'll be leaving in a few minutes."

"We cannot make it. I'm really sorry."

"What? What do you mean? Hey, this is not the time for prank. Come on~!"

"We really can't make it. I'm sorry."

"What? Why? Hey, Hani! He-- Ah, that girl. Why did she hang up on me? Aish!"

"Is everyone here already?" I heard our group lead calling out for us. 

Ah, what to do? Why did she only tell me now? I decided to approach our group lead and ask him if he could wait for Hani and her boyfriend.

​​​"What? What do you mean wait for them? May I know the name of your friend?"

 "It's Jung Hani. I think they'll be late. So, I was wondering if we can--" 

​​​"Hani? Oh, the one with her boyfriend, uhm, Red. Ah, they already withdrew two days ago. So we're not going to wait for them." he gave me a smile and patted me on my shoulder. "Let's get going, it's almost our flight." 

​​​"Ehh? Withdrew? From this tour? Oh, come on. But--" I turned to him only to find out that they're already starting to get inside. I sighed and walked over to them. I won't be enjoying this tour, eh? Sigh. 

 

But before I could take a step towards the way inside the plane, I received a text from Hani. 

'I'm really really sorry, Kara. Don't think about us and enjoy the tour. Don't worry too much, we're fine. Just have fun and enjoy, okay? I'm so sorry for not making it. Luvlots.'

I smiled sadly before I finally followed the group inside. A lot of thoughts were going on inside my head. Will I be enjoying this trip? I should enjoy, right? Anyways, I'm used to traveling alone so why the long face and sighs, self? Yeah, I'm right. I should just enjoy this. But still, I wish Hani's with me. This is like, supposed to be our first out of town tour together. Sort of, somehow. I sighed for the hundredth time, shrugged, and made a reassuring thought to myself.

 

"Hi, ma'am! Welcome aboard. May I see your ticket?" I smiled to the stewardess and gave her my boarding pass.

"Thank you. That way to your right." 

"Thank you." I said and bowed, making my way to my seat. 

I sat on my seat near the window, and rest my head on the side part of it as I looked outside.

This is gonna be a long, long day, huh? I stretched my arms and legs as I yawned.

Might as well get some good sleep and store some energy on the way to Taiwan.

Yes, I should. In two hours, we'll get there, self. It's just a short time, anyways. I patted my own shoulder before making myself comfortable for a quite long sleep.

_ _ _ _ _

 

Some hours ago...

"Where are you? We're about to fly."

"Oh, sorry. I'm on my way. I'm almost there. Really! Sorry."

"Yah! That's what you told me 15 minutes ago. Aish."

Jimin just laughed as an answer.

"Look at your back."

"What?"

"Turn around."

"What? Why?" JK turned around only to be poked by Jimin on the forehead.

"Yah!" Jimin just giggled and later on, JK joined along with him.

"Where have you been? Let's get going. We almost missed the flight."

"I was looking for something."

"Did you find it? Wait, was it something or someone?" JK narrowed his eyes at the other guy.

"What? It was something, okay?" He answered while chuckling.

"Haven't you found her name yet?"

"Who?"

"Oh, come on. That girl you were talking about since you came home from Japan."

"I haven't. Not even a clue." Jimin sighed.

"Did you just...sigh? Oh, boy. Have you totally fallen in love with that girl?"JK teased and he was trying to suppress his wide smile, which ended up making his eyes turned to crescent instead.

"You're blushing!" JK laughed while pointing at Jimin's face. "Oh my, gosh!"

"Yah! Stop it. I am not!"

 

"Hello! Welcome aboard! May I see your tickets?Thank you. On your right."

The stewardess says. They were already on board to Taiwan. As they look for their seats, Jimin secretly scans each vacant seat, hoping he can spot that familiar face somewhere inside this flight. But to his dismay, he wasn't able to find any.

They both sat as soon as they found their designated seats, and made themselves comfortable.

The flight attendants started the safety briefing before taking off.

                            ____________________________

 

"Ni hao ma! Welcome to Taiwan!"

Finally! We've finally landed in Taiwan. Our group lead (his name is Mark, by the way, so I should call him that) gathered us in a corner after we have gone through everything. There are actually five of us: me, our group lead, his friend who is a girl, well maybe a girlfriend, I don't know, and other two girls who seem to be close friends, because well, they're always together and they've been talking since the flight. We're supposed to be seven, and that two were supposed to be Hani and Red. But unfortunately, they withdrew like what Mark has said.

"Guys, I think we're still incomplete. We're still waiting for the two." He said while we're waiting for our actual tour guide for this trip (who's a local, btw).

"Eh? Two people? I thought Hani and Red withdrew? Who are those two?" I asked, confused and puzzled.

"Yes, they've withdrew. Oh, here they come!" Mark waved at someone from my back.

I turned around to see a guy in all black hoodie and pants with a quite big bag hanging on his side. He was running towards us as he waves his hand.

"Hey, you're here!" Mark greeted and they did some handshake and a shoulder bump greeting.

"Hi, what's up?" the guy asked.

"Good. Where's your friend?"

"Uhm, he just went to the bathroom. He'll be here in a minute."

"Okay, guys! He's one of the two people I'm talking about awhile ago. He's with his friend who'll join us later." Mark introduced.

He bowed and raised his hand as he smiles at each of us.

"I'm JK. Hi!"

He's a fine, good-looking guy I can say, and he seems to be someone who travels a lot. He also seems to be friendly and gets well along with everyone he meets.

Just as I was staring at him from head to toe and back, the two girls approached him and asked to take a photo with them. He agreed and they posed several times. I turned away from them and started to look at my phone. I started browsing, looked for a free WiFi (for the meantime while we're waiting), and decided to take some photos around.

I was about to go far from them to roam around for a minute when I heard them greeting someone.

 

"Guys, guys! We're all here. His friend is here!" Mark called out for us to gather and greet the other guy. I saw Mark waved at me to come back, while he's talking to the new guy, his back facing me.

As I approached them, I heard his voice. I thought that was kind of familiar, but I just ignored it. I feel like I was not actually in the mood and I just wanna start wandering and walking around. We gathered back together but I was busy fidgeting my phone and only give a glance for a second then back to my phone.

 

"Hello, everyone! I'm Jimin." He said.

A moment later, I feel like they've become quiet and felt there were eyes burrowing through me.

"Uh, do you know her?" I heard JK asked, which made me looked up, only to find Jimin staring at me.