My Red Power Ranger

Our Scrapbook

sinrin || nine-year-old yerin & six-year-old sinb

other pairings || yeju || umb

"come to me and hold me tight. protect me."

one - gfriend

 

"let me see the first photo." sinb opened the book and was greeted with a photo of her and yerin smiling.

yerin beamed and pointed at the photo. "look at us, sinb-ah!"

"ahh, cute." yuju softly smiled, eunha nodded at what yuju said.

"what's the story behind that photo?" sowon asked the two.

"ah, well.." yerin's cheeks had a red tint to it.

sinb nudged yerin. "aish, let me tell the story."

"yah!" yerin lightly hit sinb and stuck out her tongue. the younger playfully rolled her eyes.

"really?" umji gave them a skeptical look.

sinb chuckled. "really, really."

 ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

heavy steps, and an intimidating aura wasn't common to find in a six-year-old. that was what the kids in the neighborhood thought. not until a little girl named hwang eunbi came in to play.

the six-year-old walked around with an angry expression on her face. despite being six, she was taller than the average height for children like her. though she didn't think height mattered, the other kids still got scared.

eunbi beamed when she finally reached the park. "eomma said i might've left it here.." she mumbled to herself, then looked around to find a bright red figurine.

"eunnie!" a loud voice called out, coming nearer to the girl.

eunbi flinched at how loud the voice was. a pair of tiny arms wrapped around her, clinging onto the six-year-old tightly.

"yewon-ah?" eunbi guessed who the person was backhugging her.

the small child buried her face onto the taller's back. "yes, eunnie. me yewon."

eunbi smiled. "yewon-ah, next time don't yell that loud, okay?"

"y-yes, eunnie." the five-year-old nodded against her back.

 

kim yewon. the five-year-old that eunbi managed to befriend. the younger lived near older's house. yewon wasn't familiar around the neighborhood and had mistaked eunbi's house as her own.

the surprise in the six-year-old's features were apparent when she opened their front door. her confusion only grew when the five-year-old accused her of being a robber, and started to cry out for help.

needless to say, the kims profusely apologized to the hwangs for their daughter's actions. even after getting scolded for it, yewon always managed to end up at the hwang household. growing comfortable each time she hung out with the older girl.

their parents gave up at splitting the two, and let them be friends. who were they to say no when yewon gave them her puppy eyes?

 ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

a shy demeanor, awkwardly adjusting her glasses on the bridge of her nose. that was jung yerin, a nine-year-old girl who quietly sat under a tree. yerin mostly kept to herself, not wanting to be a bother to others.

most of the kids made fun of her appearance, taking a huge toll on her self-confidence. but yerin still held her chin up high. she tried her best to avoid all the teasings and insults at her.

"what are you thinking about?" a girl sat beside her.

yerin looked at the girl. "a-ah, it's nothing, yuna-yah."

yuna hummed in response. "okay, yerin-unnie,"

 

yerin didn't have much friends other than the eight-year-old, choi yuna. the girls met at school, bumping into each other in the school's hallways. the nine-year-old apologized immediately at the sudden contact.

yuna chuckled and reassured the older it was fine. she picked up the yerin's glasses that fell off when they hit each other. the bell rung, signaling it was time to go home. the two bid their goodbye to each other.

yerin remained mum as she noticed the girl was walking the same direction as her. occasionally stealing glances at the older girl, yuna asked if she lived in the same neighborhood as her.

the two shared the same shocked expression when yerin answered yes.

 

"unnie." yuna called out.

yerin flipped through her notes. "yeah?"

"look at this." yuna held a red power ranger figurine in front of yerin.

noticing the bright red color in her peripherals, yerin turned her head. "eh? you're into power rangers now?"

"no." yuna shook her head. "i found it by the monkey bars." she pointed at the playground.

"yah, a boy is probably finding that toy." yerin warned.

yuna's jaw dropped. "omo! what do i do?"

"i don't kn-" yerin went back to her notes.  "-ow, yuna.." a shadow loomed over them.

"give me that." a unfamiliar male voice demanded.

 ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

eunbi kneeled to be leveled with yewon. "yewon-ah, i have a question, okay?"

yewon tilted her head, cutely.

"have you seen my red power ranger figurine?" eunbi puffed up her cheeks as her eyebrows furrowed.

"yes!" yewon jumped around. "power ranger at monkey!" she covered , giggling.

"monkey..?" eunbi thought for a second. "ah, the monkey bars?"

yewon nodded. "yes, eunnie."

"thank you, yewon-ah." the taller patted the smaller's head.

the six-year-old made her way towards the bars with a particular five-year-old tailing behind her. the other children immediately made way for eunbi around the playground. eunbi frowned at the their action.

the two ran around the playground searching for a red figurine. with each lap around the place, eunbi began to lose more hope. eunbi halted infront of the monkey bars, groaning in annoyance.

yewon bumped into eunbi. the girl squeaked.

"why, why?" yewon looked up at the taller. "eunnie sad?"

"yes, yewon-ah. eunnie sad." eunbi closed her eyes as she sat down on the grass.

the younger followed her unnie's action. her small fingers wrapping around eunbi's slightly bigger hands. the six-year-old giggled softly.

yewon perked up at the older's giggling. "oh, eunnie happy!"

eunbi hummed. breathing slowly to calm down her heart from running around so much.

a loud ruckus made the five-year-old divert her attention away from the six-year-old. the little girl's eyes widened.

"eunnie," yewon shook the older girl. "red power ranger, look!"

eunbi opened her eyes at the mention of her favorite character. "where!?" the girl stood up.

 

"yah!" a girl wearing glasses screamed out, standing infront of a girl holding a familiar red figurine.

the slightly taller boy clutched his fists. "i told you, that's mine!"

"can't you be nicer about it?" the girl holding eunbi's figurine snapped back.

"why should i? you stole it!" the boy bursted.

the girl with glasses scoffed. "aish, this brat.."

the boy started to raise his fist in the air. "what did you say?"

the two girls cowered in fear on what's to come.

 

"hey!" eunbi yelled out.

the three turned their attention to..a six-year-old? they collectively wondered what a six-year-old was doing here.

the smaller pointed at the red figurine. "that. is. mine." her aura darkened, extremely angered.

"get lost, kid." the boy scoffed. "that's mine."

eunbi pushed the boy's legs causing him to fall. "you get lost!"

"why you.." the boy tried to grab onto eunbi. but the smaller stood a good few feet away from the taller boy. yuna tugged on yerin's shirt and quickly mumbled a "let's go." to the older.

the older quickly agreed to the younger's suggestion. while the boy stomped towards the six-year-old, the two began making their escape towards their house.

 ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"do you think that kid is alright?" yerin questioned yuna.

the younger swung her arms around, completely bored. "i don't know.." yuna examined the figurine once again, and noticed a "HwangB" written by a marker.

"yerin-unnie, do you know a hwangb?" yuna scratched her head.

yerin perked up at the name. "no. but it's familiar." the grip on her bag strap tightened.

the rest of their walk was pretty unevenful. yuna occasionally pointed at a stray animal on the road with yerin chuckling at how the younger reacted to the strays.

 

"aish.." eunbi continued to walk with a slumped back, feeling hopeless.

yewon tightly held onto the taller's hands. "eunnie hurt?" she asked as she looked up at the taller.

"ah, no, yewon-ah." eunbi rubbed her left cheek that suffered a rather strong punch from an older boy.

"r-really?" yewon tried to cup her cheeks, but couldn't due to their height difference.

eunbi crouched. "yeah." yewon giggled then rubbed eunbi's cheeks.

the taller suddenly picked up yewon with her arms. "aigoo, let's go home first."

 

mrs choi smiled at yerin. "thank you for walking yuna home."

"ahh, it's nothing.." yerin smiled back and adjusted her glasses. 

"take care when walking home, yerin-unnie." yuna smiled before closing their front door.

yerin turned around and began walking, again. her house wasn't that far from yuna's, but it was still a good distance away from theirs.

the nine-year-old sighed, gripping on the red figurine. the eight-year-old said to keep it since the oh-so-mysterious hwangb was familiar to her.

 

yerin walked and walked. occasionally stopping to check if cars would pass by when she would cross the street. she remained mum during her walk, until a sudden tug on her arm made her snap out of her thoughts.

"h-huh?" the older turned around, seeing nothing in sight.

a stronger tug made the older look down. "unnie."

the older squinted. "who are you?"

"ah, right.." the younger rubbed her nape before bowing. "hello, i'm hwang eunbi."

"hwang eunbi?" yerin held up the red figurine. "hwangb?"

"oh?" eunbi stood up straight again. "how do you know my nickname?"

"eh..?" yerin took a moment to process what the smaller kid said. "eh!?"

"why.." eunbi waited for the taller to say her name.

yerin composed herself. "i'm jung yerin." she said then nodding her head to the girl.

"okay, yerin-unnie." eunbi smiled. "can you give that figurine to me, please?"

yerin eyed the girl before hesitantly giving the figurine.

"thank you." eunbi showed her genuine smile when the figurine was back in her hands.

yerin unconsiously smiled at the younger girl's reaction. but suddenly remembered something.

"i'm also thankful.." eunbi looked up at the older. "for you know.. the boy?"

the smaller's eyebrows furrowed. "aish, that boy.." remembering the boy left a sour taste in .

"unnie, that was nothing!" eunbi puffed up her cheeks, but whinced when her left cheek hurt at the action.

yerin tilted her head. "are you okay?" her eyes widened at the small wounds on her face.

"y-yeah, that boy just smacked me earlier.." eunbi bitterly smiled. "it's okay though."

"no, it isn't." yerin grabbed eunbi's wrist and began walking with her.

 ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"stay still!" yerin scolded.

eunbi whined out. "unnie, it hurts!"

"i know." yerin held her in place. "now stop moving so much."

 the jungs were skeptical at this random young girl yerin bought to their household, but let them be as yerin barely brought over friends.

"yerin-ah, don't be mean to your friend." yerin's older brother teased.

the nine-year-old scowled at her brother, while the six-year-old chuckled.

 

yerin eventually finished fixing up eunbi's small wounds around her face.

"there we go." yerin proudly smiled. "pretty!"

eunbi frowned, but her cheeks decieved her as it was turning into a red hue.

"i'm packed with bandages, unnie." she waved her hand around her face. "what's pretty about that?"

"okay, fine." yerin snickered. "i might've overdone it."

 

mr jung approached the two and crouched. "yerin-ah,"

the duo turned their attention to the older man. "who's your new friend here?"

"ah, this is" yerin looked at eunbi. "hwang eunbi."

"hwang?" mr jung thought for a moment. " your eomma came by here earlier."

"eh?" eunbi gathered her things. "eomma must be worried!"

eunbi stood and bowed at mr jung, earning a light chuckle from him.

"i'm sorry mr jung and yerin-unnie," she picked up her red figurine. "but i have to go home!"

 

the two stood by the front door. yerin fiddled with the hem of her shirt as eunbi kept tidying herself up.

"you're gonna go now, right?" yerin looked at eunbi.

the smaller looked up too. "yeah. eomma might be searching for me."

yerin hummed. "i'll see you tomorrow?"

"tomorrow?" eunbi raised her eyebrow. "you mean, at the park?"

yerin nodded. "i'm always by the tree there."

"noted, unnie." eunbi beamed. "i'll see you tomorrow!"

yerin smiled as eunbi began taking her leave.

 ⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

the sun brightly shined, the wind blowing softly. the sounds of children giggling filled the playground, with a few seconds of screaming every now and then. a girl sat under a tree, flipping through pages of her book.

yerin looked up, admiring the cloudy skies. she set her book down on the grass, and looked around the park. frowning when the nine-year-old didn't see a six-year-old around.

there was a tap on her shoulder causing her to jolt in place.

"yuju-yah," she turned. "don't scare m-"

"yuju?" the six-year-old pouted. "i'm eunbi.."

eunbi puffed up her cheeks, and scowled at yerin.

"a-ah, eunbi-yah." yerin scratched her head. "good morning."

eunbi perked up at that. "good morning, yerin-unnie."

"look." the younger girl waved a camera around. "appa gave this to me!"

"woah," the older looked at the camera. "have you taken pictures with it?"

eunbi shook her head. "no."

yerin's eyebrows furrowed. "why?"

"i wanted my first photo to be with you!" eunbi sat next to yerin and held up the camera. "smile, unnie!"

the two smiled, the flash blinding them for a second. they repeatedly blinked until their vision came back.

"ow." eunbi scrunched up her face. "appa was right about the light.."

yerin laughed at the smaller's antics.

"stop laughing!" eunbi glared at her.

 

"okay, i'm sorry" yerin wiped away a fake tear. "my red power ranger."

eunbi instantly smiled at that. "i forgive you."

 

 

 

 

 

 

i enjoyed writing this oneshot! i'm sorry it didn't feature much sinrin interactions, but in future chapters, i'll do better. leave prompts and pairings in the comments if you'd like. maybe, i'll write it out!

thank u <3