surprise surprise

spring rain

She certainly didn’t expect to see her two friends eating at the place but what could she say? Sojung and Yerin did mention they were going to eat tripe so Yuna wasn’t exactly surprised.

“Yuna!” Sojung grinned, small dimples appearing on her cheeks. “Come! I thought you were sleeping!” The girl eagerly waved over.

Scratching the edge of her eyebrow awkwardly, Yuna was going to walk over. However: the tight grip Eunbi had on her was too strong to even move—when did the small girl gain such strength? It was almost as if… Yuna gasped in realization: at first she thought she was kidding but Eunbi was actually trampled on by either Sojung or Yerin. A groan escaped her lips. If she was her: Yuna would’ve ran out of there by now.

“Ah, yeah um…” Yuna nudged the shorter girl, who was staring at her with crazed eyes that said no, don’t make me go over there. 

“Well what am I supposed to do?!” She said under her breath.

Eunbi shook her head. “She’s scary!”

“What—?”

“Yuna, seriously what is…” 

Had they not taken so long to talk, Yuna wouldn’t have to bear Yerin’s burning gaze. She held back a flinch as the girl stared at the them. Her eyes shifted moving between them until it stopped on Eunbi’s bed of hair. Soft words escaped Yerin’s lips however Yuna couldn’t quite catch the sentence but she knew it was something about bubblegum.

A part of her was tempted to ask but Eunbi had squeezed her arm and cowered behind her. Yuna bit her tongue. It was almost cute how Eunbi could be hidden because of their height differences. She smiled softly as her heart fluttered just a little bit.

The atmosphere was awkward with Yerin standing, frozen, and Eunbi hiding behind her. Yuna scratched under ber ear awkwardly before the door behind the three opened with the ring of a bell. Just when she thought things couldn't get any worse. Yuna couldn't be more wrong.

“...Eunbi-eonni? Yuna-eonni?” 

“SinB?!” Eunbi screamed out and the restaurant stopped in conversation for about two seconds. Eyes lingered on the girls but it soon ended—leaving her and Yuna in an awkward state. Her fingers grasped tighter around the girl’s arms. Eunbi looked desperate to leave and she could almost feel the nerves radiating off the girl at this point. However: Yuna couldn't deny that she was probably just as nervous as Yewon smiled at her.

“Yah! Yewonnie! You came~” Sojung laughed from the table, still seated and somehow missed the pink-haired girl.

“Ah yeah I brought SinB as well!"

Yerin had said something—along with SinB but all Yuna could hear was the beating of her heart. They were soft thumps that were so quiet that it couldn’t be heard. Yuna shook her head. Her brain rattled inside the skull causing a deep ache in the back of her head. A drop of sweat rolled down her temple as the volume increased speedily, the sound of her heart pounding in her ears. Forcing herself to breath, Yuna turned around to look at Yewon. That breath she just took was immediately taken away.

“Ye—Yewon, what’re you doing here?” She sputtered, careful not to make a fool out of herself but Yuna had the feeling she already did.

The said girl glanced at her but before responding, Yewon’s eyes trailed elsewhere and not directly at her (as she would’ve liked).

Following her curious gaze, Yuna gasped. In a burst of realization, she immediately took a step away from Eunbi causing the girl to let go of her arm.

“Oh you know Eunbi-eonni already…?” Yewon’s voice sounded like wind in the distance and for once Yuna didn’t focus on the pounding in her head. 

What do you mean already?

A breeze flew by Yuna’s face, blowing away any previous thoughts she had. In a matter of seconds: a storm brewed in her head, a downpour of rain occurring silently as Yewon gave her a smile. Yuna wanted to smile back but she couldn’t bring herself to. In all honesty, she didn’t want to see her. To Yuna: Yewon not only made her happy but reminded her of the pain residing in her heart. Was it silly to be hurt by something so pathetic? Yuna resisted the urge to smack herself and only allowed her bottom lip to tremble while her glassy eyes filled with longing.

Gulping a lump down , Yuna pressed her nail against the pad of her finger. “I… guess so, yeah.”

She could see Eunbi in the corner of her eyes: frowning and slowly moving away with silence.

Yewon walked closer, her steps feeling like a young child approaching a puppy. “I was hoping to see you again eonni~”

Her heart pounded. It screamed—whether in pain or in delight. Yuna couldn’t tell. Her chest was heavy with the words she could never tell the younger girl but all she wanted to do was scream it out so it’d all just disappear. Yuna clutched the edge of her sleeves, parting her lips moments before shutting them. No. She couldn’t. 

“Me too.” Yuna forced a smile.

“And I guess you’ve already met Eunbi-eonni.”

She tilted her head, puzzled by Yewon’s teasing laugh.

“Do you not remember? Jung Eunbi? The art student who was supposed to meet us but couldn’t?”

The gears slowly creaked in her mind, falling into places Yuna never thought they would. The girl shook her head. A few seconds after her words: Yuna gasped and clasped a hand over . So Eunbi was friends with Yewon and SinB all along!

“I must’ve forgotten.” Yuna chuckled nervously. “What about you? What are you… well doing here?"

“Yah! Are you kids not coming over to eat?” Sojung yelled out before Yewon could speak.

She flashed a smile and walked towards the table along with SinB and Yerin. As Yuna was about to follow, the tug on her arm stopped her. 

“Yuna… um….”

She stiffened at the touch. Eunbi’s hold didn’t feel warm anymore. The spring that the girl carried with her had disappeared and the warmth that she liked so much was gone. Yuna flinched as Eunbi’s fingers brushed against hers, a small spark apparent between the two pads. Even from the minimal amount of contact: she could hear the words Eunbi whispered to her. Before the spark could grow into something she didn’t want, Yuna took a step away from the girl with a frown.

“Do you not want to eat?” She pressed her lips together, hesitating to say her next words. “I can walk you home if you want…” 

Eunbi shook her head madly. “No! I mean… it’s just…” the girl avoided eye-contact causing Yuna more frustration than she needed. Why was it now, when Yewon was there, Eunbi was suddenly being difficult?

“Yuna-eonni? Eunbi-eonni? You guys coming over or…?” SinB yelled across the room causing both of them to flinch.

Eunbi cursed the younger girl. If only SinB wasn’t the brat she was, she wouldn’t have to be forced to eat with the four story tall Kim Sojung.

Yuna smiled at the sight. Eunbi had done the thing of puffing air into her cheeks and placing her hands on her hips like she was angry.

"I guess I can't refuse free food." The smaller girl said with a small huff.

In what seemed like ages, the six girls were seated together at one table that didn’t fit all of them. Luckily for Yuna, she was seated next to Yewon—scratch that, perhaps it was more unlucky. Heat rose on the girl’s face as SinB waved her hand, inaudibly telling her to scoot closer to Yewon so she could squeeze a spot beside her. Cursing the dancer silently, Yuna held in a squeak as Yewon’s hand brushed against hers.

“Uh—sorry… Yewon-ah…” she mumbled, hoping the girl couldn’t feel the heat radiating off of her.

“It’s no problem eonni.” 

It was only a few words yet Yuna couldn’t help but feel a flower bloom in her heart. Still, happiness didn’t erase the storm that was brewing inside of her. But for this moment, all Yuna wanted to feel was happiness. She wanted to forget reality and think about what her and Yewon could be. Yuna let a smile cover her face—forgetting about the thorns in her heart just for a little bit. 

“So it’s really you…”

Sojung’s voice caused her thoughts to be immediately pushed away. She snapped her head, curious, and was met with a wide-eyed girl. Strangely enough, Sojung was… red? Yuna crinkled her eyebrows together. She never gets red—not even when drinking. Only when—

“Ah! Ahah... I’m really sorry for bumping into you that one day! I hope I didn’t ruin anything.”

—she sees something (or someone) she likes.

Her eyes trailed to the bowing girl in front Sojung and felt the flower inside of her falter. Yuna saw her memories flash in front of her: recalling the very moment the older girl had said she supposedly fell in love at first sight. Of course Yuna was skeptical, who wouldn’t be? She didn’t believe in love at first sight but the way Sojung was looking at Eunbi, she found it hard not to believe.

I knew it.

But she wasn't surprised.

“No no! it's okay. Actually I’m quite glad Yuna... knows you." Sojung shot a raised eyebrow at the girl as if she was saying: why didn’t you tell me sooner?

“Eh? But I bumped into you—“

“Hold on hold on!” Yerin interrupted the pair. “Isn't this Eunbi?! The girl Yuna’s been—“

Yuna quickly sat up, cutting Yerin off before the girl could spill anymore. “Hey—!”

“Wait… So it’s that shortie you were looking for?!” SinB let out a long groan, throwing her hands back before placing them behind her head. “And I thought the great Choi Yuna was looking for me! Me!”

"Wait wait what?" Sojung said, confused.

Continuous words kept flying in the air: mostly containing SinB and Yerin’s exasperation—actually it was only them talking while Sojung looked too dazed to even talk. Yuna slapped her forehead. As much as she wanted to see Eunbi again to return her pencil, Yerin did not have to go and tell everyone! Frustration brewed at the bottom of her stomach—the two girls’ chatter blurring into the background. Glancing at Eunbi, she saw a tight-lipped blush present on the girl’s face.

If only Yerin and Sojung kept their mouths shut!

“Wait wait wait!” SinB raised from her seat, almost knocking Yuna over, and ed a finger at Yerin. “So Yuna-eonni was looking for a pink-haired Eunbi... and I don’t even have pink hair—" She jerked her head towards the youngest of the six. "—Yewon! Explain!”

As much as Yewon was keen on escaping the conversation, sadly SinB kept an eye closer than she thought. With a sigh, she shook her head and smiled awkwardly. “Well Yerin and Sojung-eonni did tell me to bring both of you guys but Eunbi-eonni had her thing so—“

Yerin gasped. "Oh right I did do this..." carefully scooting away from Sojung, whose eyes may have been burning with fire, and laughed. "Um... I guess Yuna and Sojung both found... their girls—?"

“Yah!” Sojung slammed the table, rattling the metal chopsticks and the cups rippled with water. “How about we all just sit the down and talk like normal people?!” 

Yerin huffed angrily, lightly slapping Sojung’s arm before plopping down on the seat.

“You’re just jealous because your Eunbi is Yu—“

If Sojung hadn’t smacked Yerin in the head, Yuna almost leaped over the table to do just the same. A comical tick mark grew on her forehead and she was almost too sure a vein was popping out on her skin. Yuna glanced at the girl in question. Yerin and SinB couldn’t have discussed this at a different time? Pinching the bridge of her nose, she sighed. Suddenly her face burned up. Was it anger? She shook her head. Why would she be angry? Yuna touched her cheeks and gasped at the heat. She was blushing—why was she blushing?

Oh god, Eunbi I’m so sorry.

“Oh… it’s okay.”

“Good…” Yuna breathed out. She snapped her head up to (still) standing girl and cursed herself…. she did not mean to say that out loud.

“Ohhh look at tha—“ Yerin screamed as Sojung slapped her shoulder, whining at the red mark on her pale skin. “—Sojung!”

“You! Jung Yerin be quiet!”

“Guys can we eat?! The foods getting cold!”




 

An hour later, Yerin was shut up mostly due to the food Sojung forced in her direction—not that the foodie was complaining of course. Yuna mentally thanked the older girl. Although Yerin had a tendency to say... unnecessary things, she still was great friend. Yuna shook her head. SinB had traded seats with Eunbi and took the spot next to Yerin. Taking a mental note to never put the two next to each other, Yuna sighed. At least SinB, miraculously, became quiet after eating as well. Perhaps it was the food or the same deadly stare Sojung gave to Yerin. Shivers ran down Yuna’s back. Scary.

Gazing at the empty plates of food, stained with pepper, grease and bits of rice. Her eyes followed the waiter as she took the plates to the back where they washed them.

“Yuna-eonni, remember to drink some water.” 

A sweet voice. It almost sounded like a song as it was being sung to her. Yuna closed her eyes and instinctively leaned her head on the girl’s shoulder next to her.

Warmth. In an instant, Yuna breathed in the delicate smell of watermelon. Opening her eyes: she was met with golden rays and dandelions flying through the wind. Yuna almost smiled. Almost. Until she realized what the feeling Yewon gave her was. Forcing herself off the girl’s shoulder, Yuna was removed from the golden wonderland and stared at her with crazed eyes.

The girl tilted her head. “Eonni? You look like you saw a ghost.”

Yuna stayed silent. She couldn’t find the courage to talk.

The things she felt for Yewon. It wasn’t normal, was it? Yuna clenched her fist tight, ignoring the concerned look in the latter’s eyes. It hurt. Those feelings were knives against her heart, constantly poking and stabbing at it but never penetrating the flesh. They were thorns that continued to tighten and choke her heart.

All she wanted to do was tear it out so the pain would stop.

“Yuna.” 

A hand on her shoulder caused her breath to hitch.

“Yerin-eonni…” she breathed out, the knives and thorns falling from keeping her heart hostage. “Sorry I’m just…”

Yewon gave her a worried look.

“...just full.”

Yerin patted her back softly before rubbing her shoulders. “Take your time to rest, Sojung is talking to Eunbi so it’ll be awhile before we go back to our dorms.” A frown took over her face. “You can go back first if you want.”

Staring into the distance, tears formed at the rim of her eyes as stars appeared in Yuna’s vision. Without realizing it, she’d been staring holes in the table—mindlessly examining the peculiar patterns of the wood. Almost instantaneously, Yuna was reminded of her guitar. She held back the heavy weights in her chest and formed a smile, only to reassure Yerin.

“Yeah, I might.”

The older girl flashed a smile before disappearing to chat with SinB (who… still seemed disappointed about the reveal about Eunbi).

“Yewon.” Yuna said with a shaky breath.

“What is it eonni?”

She turned to look her in the eye and froze.

Deep red eyes were peering back at her. Yuna clenched her jaw, darkness surrounding her as Yewon’s figure distorted into a large being that towered over her. The color of red and black splattered across her vision. Yuna shook her head as her breathing fastening and her heart raced like there was no tomorrow.

Yuna clutched her hair tightly, screaming silently as the dark figure bursted into colors. Blues, yellows, purples, pinks—so many colors she couldn’t comprehend. Releasing her hair, Yuna looked upwards with half lidded eyes and was met with a blue sky and an ocean. Rain dropped against her cheek, rolling down her skin before falling into the water. It rippled. Trembled like lightning had hit its surface. Yuna closed her eyes. 

“I want to sing to you again.” She said softly. “I have a song in progress… by the way—“

“Really?! You’re willing to do that?!”

Yuna’s eyes turned into saucers as she was pulled into a tight hug.

“Eonni~~~ I had a hunch you were still writing songs!” Yewon clapped excitedly. “What’s the title?”

Title. She hadn’t thought of that. There was a particular song Yuna wanted to sing for her. Humming to herself, she smiled at Yewon.

 

“It’s called Love Rain.”





 

Yuna looked down at the torn papers on the office floor. Kneeling down, she took a piece between her fingertips and frowned. What a disappointment. She released the paper and watched as it drifted in the cold air, whispering a soft goodbye.



 

 

 

 

 

yay it's not a month later and i actually updated??? anyway I watched nyel (...illeg*lly) and yujus solo was so perfect along with sowon wrecking me ;;;; I love gfriend so much. also unimportant but I drew something the other day and I actually like it a lot ;; 

hope everyone has an amazing 2021 and stan gfriend for good luck >:) remember to stay safe please ^^