Chapter 3

100 Days My Accountant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Look Jongin a shooting star!"   Kyungsoo and Jongin were sitting on a picnic blanket under the night sky stargazing, when the rare phenomenon passed them.

 

"It's beautiful," Jongin's grip around Kyungsoo grew tighter, he was backhugging Kyungsoo with his legs also wrapped around Kyungsoo on the blanket. "Have you made your wish?

 

Kyungsoo looked back at Jongin. "Did you wish too?" 

 

"I did, I wished to spend the rest of my life with you." Kyungsoo pouted. 

 

"You're not supposed to say it, now it's not going to come true." Jongin chuckled softly, resting his head on Kyungsoo's shoulder. 

 

"That's a myth, and besides, I know you wished for the same thing too." Kyungsoo smiled. 

 

'I did." 

 

..

 

"Kyungsoo wake up." A voice called softly behind the door.

 

Knock knock!

 

Kyungsoo jolted awake, feeling a dull headache in the back of his head. 

 

"Kyungsoo?" Chanyeol opened the door slowly and smiled at Kyungsoo. "Ready for your first day?" 

 

"Mmmmm." Kyungsoo sort of groaned out, he was still trying to gain full consciousness. 

 

"Haha alright, I made breakfast for us, come down when you're ready." Chanyeol closed the door and Kyungsoo tried to shake away the pain from his head, Chanyeol told him that he still had to go through an interview and he didn't want to make the wrong first impression. 

 

When Kyungsoo went into the shower, he tried to focus on the dream he woke up on, reflecting on the old memory he had. 

 

He always loved those simple nights with Jongin, where they would sit under the stars for an eternity. Did he share those same kind of nights with Chanyeol?

 

The water grew cold too fast for Kyungsoo and he had to quickly finish up, the dull headache still taking over his thought process. 

 

He took an advil before going downstairs to Chanyeol. 

 

Chanyeol had made french toast and sausages, from what Kyungsoo saw on his plate. But he had no idea what Chanyeol was eating, the other was eating a sausage but there was also a black brick on his plate. 

 

"What are you eating?" Kyungsoo asked as he sat down. 

 

"Breakfast." Chanyeol replied. The rather stupid answer drew a quiet laugh from Kyungsoo.

 

"No, that doesn't look like food." Kyungsoo pointed at the black brick on Chanyeol's plate. 

 

"I was trying to be fancy with the french toast," Chanyeol said, "I sort of messed up the first one and burnt it," He smiled sheepishly, "But I managed to do the second one, I'm just eating the failed attempt." 

 

Kyungsoo looked down at his french toast again, there was a heart shape caramelized by sugar, and even though one of the sides were lopsided, it still looked right. 

 

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow at Chanyeol, "How did you burn french toast?"

 

Chanyeol looked down, "Accidentally put the heat on high and started dancing to the radio." Kyungsoo almost wanted to protest and switch their plates, but then Chanyeol picked up the black brick and took a bite out of it. 

 

Inspite of the glare Kyungsoo was giving him when he cringed at the taste, Chanyeol still gave him a wide smile.

 

The action was cute and a little bit touching, making Kyungsoo smile back. 

 

``` 

Kyungsoo had tried sleeping away the headache on the drive to the company. He wanted to insist going there by his own means aka public transit but he didn't have the power to fight Chanyeol if Chanyeol was going to persist on driving him. 

 

The headache seemed to disappear when Chanyeol gently shook him awake in the parking lot, and any feeling of grogginess disappeared when he finally saw a familiar face inside the office.

 

"Junmyeon hyung!" Kyungsoo called out happily to Junmyeon, who was standing by the receptionists desk, "I haven't seen you in a long time!" 

 

Junmyeon returned the smile, "I'm glad to see you again." 

 

"Kyungsoo, Junmyeon is just going to do an interview with you and then he'll show you around, okay?" Kyungsoo nodded, b with excitement at seeing Junmyeon again.

 

Kyungsoo watched Chanyeol whisper something into Junmyeon's ears before he patted him on the shoulder and walked away. Junmyeon turned to Kyungsoo and gestured him into the office.

 

"How have you been?" Junmyeon asked.

 

"I think I've been okay." 

 

"That sounds good, I'm not really going to interview you since you already have the job" Junmyeon said while sitting down, "I never interviewed you the first time you applied, we had just talked about life so," Junmyeon patted the sides of his chair, prompting Kyungsoo to side down across from me, "Catch me up Kyungsoo, how have you been?" 

 

"I'm not sure what I can talk about...." Kyungsoo didn't know if he could talk about his past.

 

Junmyeon smiled warmly "Anything. You know, like that time in university when you bribed the business law professor to extend your paper deadline by two days with two trays of his favorite raisin bran muffins."

 

"We don't speak of that," Kyungsoo glared at him, "That was the only time I would do that." 

 

Regardless, feeling comfortable around his senior, Kyungsoo launched into a winding discussion of his life. He almost prattled on about his relationship with Jongin, knowing that Junmyeon knew about them in the past, but he had stopped himself from venturing on the topic when he realized how inappropriate it was.

 

He instead talked about his life in university, a couple details making Junmyeon quirk his eyebrow up. When Kyungsoo paused to take a drink of water, Junmyeon quickly scribbled onto a sticky note on his clipboard

 

Mention this to Chanyeol later

 

..

 

"I used to be the head for the accounting department, but I've moved to marketing and advertising instead but here I'll show you around."

 

 After their 'interview', the duo walked around the department, Junmyeon pointing to various stations dotted with printers and cubicles and filled Kyungsoo in on who and how each place in the department worked. 

 

The staff were fortunately not informed about Kyungsoo's condition but unfortunately, all of them were trying to talk to him throughout the office. After watching Kyungsoo have another awkward exchange with the fifth coworker, Junmyeon tried to direct his attention to something else. 

 

"Oh look! This is where you and Baekhyun used to drink coffee all the time," Junmyeon gestured to a balcony dotted with artificial plants, "I had to tell you both to get back to work countless times." 

 

Kyungsoo's demeanor became wary when he mentioned Baekhyun, Junmyeon internally regretted bringing up Baekhyun and continued the tour. 

 

When they reached Kyungsoo's desk, Junmyeon motioned to a stack of papers on it.

 

"For starters, the every employee goes through the same project to get settled, it was the project that placed Park Corporations into the #1 spot in the country 6 years ago, and the employee goes through it according to their department." Junmyeon said.

 

"Since this is the accounting department, you'll recreate the budgeting report that was used for the project." Kyungsoo nodded in understanding. But the headline of the paper stood out to him. 

 

The Jirisan National Park and Lotte World Project

 

Huh, that looks familiar

 

"If you have any questions, ask Baekhyun." Baekhyun was seated in the cubicle beside Kyungsoo's. He was typing furiously, he must be working hard on a report. Wait, nevermind, he was gossiping on twitter. 

 

"Baekhyun." Junmyeon sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, Baekhyun swirled around on his seat, unfazed that he was caught. "Did you finish the-" 

 

"Yup." Baekhyun gave him a sly smile but gave Kyungsoo a shy smile. 

 

There was still unsettling air between the two, after Baekhyun's failed attempts on their games night, he seemed to be treading water near Kyungsoo, his face didn't even have to show it, Kyungsoo could feel it. 

 

"Baekhyun's one of the fastest in the department, he knows he would be promoted if he just didn't," Junmyeon pointed to all the social media and solitaire tabs open on Baekhyun's computer. "Do that."

 

Baekhyun waved him off, "Whatever. Go run off, I know you have a meeting soon." 

 

Junmyeon shook his head, "You're way too on top of everything, maybe in a different life you'd be my assistant. Anyways, I shall take my leave." Junmyeon walked away from the duo. 

 

Baekhyun turned back to Kyungsoo, trying to be friendly, "That project was huge, I'm sure something won't make sense if you want me to clarify it." 

 

"I won't need your help," Kyungsoo replied curtly, "But thanks." He hid away in his cubicle, not sparing Baekhyun another glance. 

 

Baekhyun sighed, "Baby steps Baek." 

 

~~~

 

"I got him to talk about his past life." Junmyeon said to Chanyeol, they were inside Chanyeol's office. Chanyeol perked up. 

 

"Oh? Did he say anything interesting?" Junmyeon scratched the back of his head in thought. 

 

"He avoided talking about Jongin of course," Chanyeol frowned, "But have you ever looked at his credentials?" 

 

"No, why?" Chanyeol said.

 

"That's the thing," Junmyeon took a sip of his coffee. "He said his major was culinary arts and his minor's in music. I think the business and accounting classes we took together were his electives. But at the same time I don't understand why his "

 

"What?" Chanyeol's stare at Junmyeon intensified, eyes squinting with confusion "How did he get called in for an interview 6 years ago?" 

 

"I'm not sure, I'll have someone locate his old application." Junmyeon tossed his empty styrofoam cup into the trash, "Anyways, we have a meeting with your sister and all the department heads and supervisors, shall we go?" 

 

Chanyeol shook his head out of it and stood up, "Yeah sure." 

 

~

 

The meeting was going as Chanyeol expected, it was just touching bases with all of the other departments to make sure preparations for the huge project were going as expected. 

 

After every department had reported back with results that were meeting Yoora's standards, a look of satisfaction washed over her and she looked around the room once more. 

 

"Any questions before we stop this meeting." Taeyeon, one of the supervisors for marketing and advertising, spoke up. 

 

"We don't even own the land yet and we've been acting like we're for sure going to obtain it, what happens if we don't?" Taeyeon asked. Yoora replied swiftly

 

"I have no doubts that we'll get that land, it's abandoned and full of incomplete buildings, I don't even know why the owner of it hasn't sold the land yet. Don't worry about it, I can get it to work." Taeyeon nodded at the response. 

 

"If we don't have the land yet then why do we have a deadline for it?" Junmyeon piped up from beside Chanyeol. 

 

"There's been a rumor floating around all the CEOs," Yoora said, a few murmurs started among the employees before Yoora's voice cut through them again."Which I can't discuss but what's important is that," Yoora glanced at the stack of papers on the table. "We have 100 days left to finalize it."

 

Yoora picked up the papers in front of her, "Since there doesn't seem to be any important questions, this meeting is over. If you have a concern please go to Chanyeol first before me." With that, everyone stood up and was already making their way out of the room. 

 

"You know," Jun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter