Chapter 4: You and I, One Year Later

Stars, It's My Mistake

Chapter 4
You and I, One Year Later


 


The home of the Kwons was bustling with family, friends, and other guests of the riches politely served by the hired butlers and maids. Permissions for loud noises were not necessary since the whole neighborhood belonged to the Kwon Enterprise. The two-story royal ‘palace’ was soon filled with social communications of different families and business partners, and the exchanging of deals and proposals. High-class food, soft drinks, and cocktails were served to the attendees free of charge, also providing classical music pieces playing in the background to enhance the mood.

Jung Jessica and her friend Hwang Tiffany were feeling…definitely out of place.

“I know it’s hard not to feel awkward here, but just try to make yourselves at home.” Yoona suggested after looking at the two girls who were bewildered at their surroundings.

“Yoona-unnie is right. Yuri’s family members are very nice people. I got used it after a while, so I’m sure you can, too.” Seohyun assured, trying her best to make her two unnies more comfortable.

“I guess we’ll meet you later. Hyunnie and I have to go greet our parents and family members. Have fun!” Yoona bowed to the two older girls and walked away first, taking fast-paced steps. Seohyun soon followed after, trying her best to catch up with her best friend while running in high-heels.

Tiffany let out a sigh and shook her head, looking sympathetically at the younger girls’ backsides, catching Jessica’s attention. “What’s wrong?”

“Jessie, I’m really scared for those two. They really love each other but now they just need to realize that their feelings are mutual.”

Jessica tilted her head to the side, bearing a look of total confusion. “Wait…what?”

“I asked Yoona if she loved Seohyun, and she told me yes. Now if only she has the courage to tell the other girl then everything would be just fine…”

Jessica went from being confused to being shocked at the sudden news from Tiffany. “No…Fany… that would be bad. Real bad.”

“Why would that be? They love each other so it would be just fi-”

“Seohyun told me they’re best friends and nothing more than that.”

It was Tiffany’s turn to be surprised at Jessica’s side of the story. “But-!”

“Sooyeon? Is that you honey?”

A voice of a middle age woman interrupted the conversation between the two best friends, as they turned their heads forward to see who it was. Jessica immediately recognized the person before her, as she threw her arms around the older woman in a warm hug.

“Umma! Long time no see!” Jessica cried out, calling the other person ‘mom’.

“How have you been? I haven’t heard from you in almost a year!” The woman asked, rubbing Jessica’s cheek like a very close family member.

“I’ve been doing…uh…great!” Jessica lied. She immediately changed the subject by dragging Tiffany into the conversation. “Umma, do you remember her?”

The older woman carefully observed the brunette and her face glittered with realization when the girl spoke up, smiling her signature smile. “Hello Mrs. Kwon.”

“Oh my, isn’t this the cute Miyoung. I almost couldn’t recognize you since you grew out your hair! You two got much more beautiful and becoming lady-like.” Mrs. Kwon complimented the two young ladies, receiving a grateful ‘thank you’ in return. “So, have you been talking to Yuri lately, Sooyeon?” Mrs. Kwon asked, directing it at Jessica who was now lost at words.
She looked over to Tiffany, requesting help but got a message through the girls’ eyes saying, ‘That’s not something for me to answer.’

“I-”

Before she could come up with a fake excuse, Mrs. Kwon was called forth urgently, forcing her to end the short conversation with the girls. Jessica exhaled out of relief. She didn’t want to worry Mrs. Kwon about her and Yuri’s distance.

Suddenly she felt constant nudges and shakes from the girl next to her, who pointed forward at a certain person standing next to the steps beside the small stage.

“Jessie, look! It’s Yur-”

The lights were abruptly all turned off, and the only source of shine was on stage. Everyone turned their head toward the spotlight where a well-suit, middle age man could be seen, standing behind the podium preparing to give his speech.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for attending my party tonight. Thank you for those who had supported us over our time of hardships. Our company is now finally at a stable condition with the help of the Song family. As you all know, my age is failing me and I might not be able to be as successful as the younger generation. Now I will formally announce the heir to the Kwon Enterprise: my only daughter who is talented enough to take on my seat. Everyone, please give a welcoming applaud to Yuri!”

As soon as name she knew so well flowed into her ears, Jessica’s attention was on full alert as she could not take her eyes off the stage.

Yuri stepped onto the platform upon hearing her father’s signal and immediately bowed to the audiences, whose faces were mostly filled with either burning jealousy or great expectations. There was one pair of eyes that never once looked away; they were the eyes of Jung Jessica.

Yuri was dressed in an elegant red dress with glamorous designs that went perfectly with her smooth tan skin and beautiful features. Her appearance would unconsciously grab the attention of all around her, and those who met her gaze would be mesmerized. It was the first time in a long time since this feeling hit Jessica once again. The blonde girl was staring straight at the person in the spotlight, and was suddenly lost in her own world. As much Jessica badly wanted to run over to Yuri, hug her tight, and just tell her how much she had been wanting to see her, she couldn’t bring herself to do so. She was afraid. Afraid that once they would be face to face, she would instantly break down… crying. All she could do was stand and grip her hand tight… listening to the voice she missed so much while holding back her tears.

Yuri silently cleared before talking into the microphone, “I’m grateful that all of you are here tonight to attend this party. Thank you, father and mother, for raising me to become who I am today. Thank you to the Songs, who had helped us out of our worst economic time. Now holding the responsibility of being the heir to the Kwon Enterprise, I promise you all that I will do my best to hold this company together and also improving it in any way possible. I, Kwon Yuri, hope to gain all your support in this business. Thank you and enjoy the night.”

Bowing her head once again, Yuri stepped down from the stage, disappearing in the crowd. The lights were turned back on as everyone went their ways to enjoy their time.

Jessica, on the other hand, was still out of it. She did not fully notice that Yuri was already out of sight because all she could see in her mind was Yuri, Yuri, Yuri…and Kwon Yuri.

“Jessie! Hey…Jessie!” Tiffany waved her hand in front of Jessica’s eyes to get her attention. The blonde blinked a couple of times before realizing it that she was lost in her dream world for more than a few minutes. “I know you haven’t seen her for a while, but did you really have to make it so obvious? I have to admit she’d gotten extremely hot and y though...” Tiffany trailed off the last couple of words into silence the instance the felt an icy glare of jealousy from the ice princess.

After a few seconds later, a smile crept onto Jessica’s lips as well as an honest thought accepted into her mind. ‘Yeah…she’s hot.

 

☆★☆



“Yoona-unnie! Wait up!” The younger girl was still trying to catch up with her best friend, who was walking way too fast for her to keep up.

The hallway was cleared since Yoona took a shortcut through a private area of the Kwons. She was technically permitted to be here, bearing the title of Yuri’s close cousin. However, no one was around but her and Seohyun. Knowing what would happened if she was to be right by Seohyun’s side, Yoona did not even bother to stop for one second and just walked aimlessly in quick steps. It was a way to control herself and her temptation. She had to get away.

A few seconds after Seohyun called out to her, she stopped hearing the clanking of high heels following behind. Worried, Yoona turned around and found Seohyun on the ground, with one hand on the wall while holding onto her leg with the other while bearing a painful look on her face. Throwing aside her thoughts, Yoona quickly rushed to her best friend in panic.

“What’s wrong!?” Yoona carefully observed to see if there were any signs of injuries on Seohyun… and there it was.

“It’s nothing serious, unnie.” Seohyun assured, lying about her condition.

Yoona ignored Seohyun and took off the girl’s heels, revealing a hint of redness on the girl’s ankle. She knew it was her fault that Seohyun had tripped due to the attempt of catching up to her. “It’s going to get serious if you don’t treat this. I know an emergency treatment room nearby. We should go there before this turns serious.”

Yoona got up from the floor and realized that Seohyun was struggling to stand. Yoona closed her eyes and gripped her fists, thinking to herself, ‘Okay… hold it in. The sprain ankle is more important now. Don’t do anything stupid Im Yoona.’ Even though she had told herself that, instead of lending Seohyun her shoulder so that she could stand, she lifted the girl up in her arms… in bridal style.

Surprised, Seohyun let out a small yelp. She then realized she was being carried and did not know what to say. For some reason, Seohyun couldn’t find the words to protest against it.

They soon arrived at the ‘medical’ room, where Yoona laid down Seohyun on a bed while grabbing an ice-pack and some bandages to treat the sprained ankle. She soon came back with the right materials, applying them to Seohyun’s injury.

Yoona did not once make eye-contact with her friend, who she did not realize was staring at her with confused eyes. Seohyun found it hard to describe her feelings… they weren’t what she was supposed to feel toward her friend. Even so she did not fully understand the meaning behind it, being completely oblivious at the emotion.

They were both in an awkward silence once again until Yoona finished up with the bandaging.

“There.” Yoona cleaned up the mess she made, throwing the trash into the garbage and placing back the extra roll of bandage. “I’m going to go greet our parents. You stay here and rest.”

“Wait! Unnie!” Seohyun called out, stopping Yoona at the door. “Don’t leave me here alone. I want to go with you.”

Yoona did not face Seohyun but still replied, “You can’t walk right now. Just stay here and rest.”

“I can walk, Yoona-unnie.” Seohyun got off from the bed and stood on her feet while ignoring the pain. “See?”

It wasn’t before long until Seohyun lost her balance. Alarmed, Yoona hurried to Seohyun’s side and caught the girl in her arms just in time before she fell to the ground, pulling Seohyun in a hug. “Hyunnie, you babo.”

Yoona did not want to let go. She desired to hold Seohyun in her arms like this, even if it’s only for a little bit longer. She knew she shouldn’t be feeling this way toward her best friend, but she couldn’t help it. ‘Why can’t you see how I feel?

“…Unnie?”

“Let’s go.” Yoona release her hold of Seohyun, turning away to wipe off the little hints of tears near her eyes before her friend could notice. Yoona then offered her hand to Seohyun, “Hold my hand and I’ll support you.”

Seohyun slightly blush before grabbing onto Yoona’s hand and following the girl closely. Little did she know, a gentle smile appeared on her face.

I’m not going to let you go Seohyun… I’ll try my best to let you know my feelings. And even if it’s not me that you love, I would still be there and support you with all my heart. I promise.

 

★☆★



At the rather-big-for-a-dining area stood a shikshin, whose plate was overfilled with food of all different types taken from each station. To those who did not know of this Godzilla, their first impression of her would be: “What a pretty-looking girl!” or “Wow she’s tall…” However, aside from the truth, her interest for food was… just as important to be considered along those descriptions.
Trying to eat in the most polite way possible, Sooyoung consumed her food quickly before grabbing several more servings. Watching from afar was an amused short girl, who occasionally twitched whenever she witnessed her new friend placed another piece of food on the plate.

“You…are going to seriously eat all of that?” Sunny questioned, finally approaching the taller girl from where she was standing while pointing at Sooyoung’s overfilled plate.

“Yes, I am. You want some?” Sooyoung replied expressionlessly, while offering the plate in front of Sunny.

“Sur-” Sunny reached her hand for a croissant that was on top of the other food but was surprised when it was suddenly pulled back to where it originally was.

“Get your own.” Sooyoung said teasingly, eating what Sunny was about to take.

The shorter girl pouted (unconsciously in a cute manner), not appreciating the 180-degrees switch in personalities from the taller one. ‘I don’t get this giant… First she was being unreasonable, then she got all polite, and now she’s being a teaser! Choi Sooyoung, you’re just… confusing.

Sooyoung almost cursed herself when she gazed at Sunny’s reaction after what she had done. For the first time in her life, she felt bad for teasing someone. She picked up another croissant sandwich on the luxurious dining table and offered it properly to the shorter girl this time. “Um…here.”

Sunny stared at the snack then looked at Sooyoung then back at the snack. “W-what?”

“You wanted this right…? S-sorry for earlier.” Sooyoung looked away in embarrassment. This was the second time she had given in to this girl’s unintended aegyo.

Sunny’s mood brightened again, taking the flaky crescent roll, eating it with a smile. “This tastes really good. Thank you!”

The both ate in silence as Sunny was finishing up her snack and Sooyoung with all of her food on her plate. A man then walked up to both of the ladies, offering them some light alcoholic drinks. Sunny immediately took a glass as Sooyoung was still deciding whether or not she should drink, but was forced to take on the offer when Sunny was the one handing it to her.

She can really drink…’ Sooyoung thought to herself. The giant, who had not drunk a drop from the red wine, had been stealing glances at the shortie next to her, who was seen gulping down the drink in a polite manner but rather quickly without a problem. Sooyoung giggled to herself, thinking how looks could really contradict to one’s personalities.

“What?” Sunny turned to ask, already grabbing a second glass of alcohol.

“No, nothing.” Sooyoung replied, wiping off the grin on her face but was still snickering inside. “Actually… Sunny, are you fre-”

Sooyoung was interrupted when music started playing from Sunny’s handbag. Sunny laid her glass down on a nearby table, and flipped her phone opened, letting out a sigh after checking the caller ID. She finally picked up after a couple of seconds of hesitation, answering the call, “Hyomin? Uh…well…sorry I can’t… I’m not free right now. I’m at a party… Sorry, maybe another time. I’ll call you when I get home. Yeah, take care…good night...” Sunny paused for a few seconds and gazed over at Sooyoung (who had been secretly eaves-dropping the shorter girl’s conversation but was pretending she was not). She then ended the call with a few more words, sounding a bit reluctant, “L-love you…”

It had easily caught Sooyoung’s attention as her round eyes turned even wider and her eyebrows tilted upwards. Trying to look as calm as ever, she straightened up her back from leaning against a wall, and decided to confirm her suspicions, “Your sister?”

“N-no… A friend…” Sunny nervously answered.

“Girlfriend?” Sooyoung blurted out her curiosity, half meaning it as a joke, while taking the first sip of her drink.

“Well…” Sunny scratched the back of her head, looking a bit indecisive at what kind of answer she should give, “Sure… whatever…something along that line.”

Sooyoung was more than close to spitting out what she had just drank, coughing to breath in some air after trying to swallow everything before an accident occurred. As of that moment, she tried to come up with an excuse, to herself in fact, that being shock was a normal reaction and it had nothing to do with her whatsoever. ‘This doesn’t concern me. It shouldn’t. Who would have expected this shortie to have a girlfriend? Even if she does, it has nothing to do with me… And besides, I was about to invite her to have dinner...a friendly dinner. Just as friends. Yup, pure friendship! Man, what am I even thinking…?

“Hey, Sooyoung?” Sunny spoke up, unaware of the taller girl’s reaction earlier.

Sooyoung was still struggling to retrieve her composure. “Y-Yeah?”

“Are you free on Monday?”

 

☆★☆



Aside from the music that was playing inside the house, a humming melody could be vaguely heard from outside. “Star, star, star… star… Aish this isn’t working…” Scratching her head in frustration, a certain girl ripped off her notes that she been writing on, crumbled it, and threw it in her bag for the ninth time.

This composer was named Kim Taeyeon. She was sitting alone on one side of a bench in the Kwons’ garden, occasionally staring up at the sky or looking around at all the different types of plants for new ideas. This was one of the few places in the mansion where peace and quiet actually co-existed with barely anyone around. Even so, Taeyeon found it hard to come up with the lyrics for her new song, occasionally scribbling down random inspiration and crossing X marks if dissatisfaction occurred. However, so far the page was filled with nothing but small dots from the constant tapings of her pencil.

What happened to me these days? Why can’t I think of anything? I can’t keep going like this with the new album coming out soon… inspiration… I need inspiration but wher-

Her thoughts were interrupted when she felt a light tap on her shoulder, causing her to turn her head around. For a few seconds, she was lost in wonderland. There was an angel in front of her, glistening with the moonlight gleaming down from the sky, radiating a gentle beauty she could not merely explain in words.

“Excuse me, is anyone sitting here?” The brunette asked politely, pointing at the empty spot next to Taeyeon.
Taeyeon blinked a couple of times to knock herself out of her hallucinations before actually answering. “No, feel free.” Taeyeon replied with a smile, shaking her head a couple of times.

“Oh cool.” The brunette then suddenly lifted Taeyeon’s soul to outer space when she suddenly smiled with both her lips and her-now-crescent-shaped-eyes. “Thank you!”

The ‘angel’ sat on the other side of the bench, starting to text with her pink phone while flashing her eye-smiles to herself there and then. The short composer couldn’t help but observed from the corner of her eye the young lady next to her. She pretended to be working on her lyrics as she ‘watched’ silently, not daring to actually turn her head for a clearer look. Taeyeon noted on the little complexities of the brunette’s features, from her eyes to her lips then to her girly gestures…and unconsciously to the girl’s long legs. Finally realizing that she was starting to make things look obvious with the little head turns, Taeyeon immediately averted her sight and hid her flustered face, while mentally scolding herself. ‘Kim Taeyeon, you were only admiring the long pair of legs that you don’t have. Yes, this is from pure admiration. Taeyeon, you are not a ert so stop staring as if you’re going to eat her.’ However, she was unable to control herself, stealing more than just a few more glances.

“Why are you out here by yourself?” The brunette abruptly asked, almost knocking Taeyeon out from a heart attack.

Taeyeon inhaled and exhaled to gain back her consciousness, clearing up her mind before her thoughts processed. “I’m not much of a party person. It’s a bit too noisy in there.” Taeyeon answered, smiling nervously. “What about you?”

“I’m waiting for my frie-”

“Tiffany! Where are you?” A familiar voice called out from the exit to the garden.

“And there she is,” The brunette turned around and waved at the blonde hair girl to notify of her where-about.

Taeyeon’s eyebrow tilted up slightly upon seeing the blonde hair girl approaching. ‘Wait… I think I know her…

The blonde hair girl greeted her best friend before moving her view to the side to witness a ‘stranger’ staring at her. They both immediately reacted when their eyes met, exclaiming similar things.

“You’re Kim Taeyeon!”
“You’re Jessica-sshi!”

Tiffany covered her ears in reflex to both shouts entering her ears from two different directions and at the same time. “You two… know each other?”

“We work at the same company. Taeyeon-sshi is my sunbae.” Jessica explained (with better respect this time), walking over and sitting on the empty spot between Tiffany and Taeyeon.

“Oh I didn’t get a chance to say this you earlier but congratulation on debuting, Jessica-sshi!” Taeyeon exclaimed, feeling happy for her colleague.
Jessica scratched the back of her head in embarrassment and expressed her gratitude with a small bow and a thank you. “You can just call me Jessica.”

“Then Taeyeon is fine for me, too.”

“So how did you know about this party?” Tiffany jumped in the conversation and raised another curious question.

“I’m friends with Yuri, and she invited me. I’m sure you two must know her from the speech earlier.” Taeyeon replied, bringing a bit of a shock to both girls, who exchanged glances at each other.

“Really!? We’re close friends with Yuri, too!” Tiffany exclaimed not bringing much of a surprise to Taeyeon, since she knew how social her black pearl friend could be.

“That’s cool! One coincidence after another.”

“I think it’s fate.”

Even though Taeyeon was sure that it might have been one of her hallucinations, but she felt that there was a short moment when her eyes met with Tiffany’s.

Breaking the silence, Tiffany directed another question at Taeyeon, this time drawing Jessica’s attention. “Well anyways, speaking of Yuri, have you seen her around?”

“She should still be greeting the guests upstairs.”

Tiffany instantly nudged Jessica’s side the moment she heard Taeyeon’s reply. Jessica turned around, giving her friend a weird look. Tiffany pulled Jessica closer and whispered into the blonde girl’s ear, being cautious not to let her natural loud voice be overheard by the uninvolved. “Go find your prince, miss ice princess.” Tiffany winked, pointing her finger upward. Jessica sighed and acknowledged the fact that she had to take this chance before it slipped out of hand.

Jessica stood up, ironing her dress back properly with her hands. “Sorry, I got to go somewhere. I hope I can talk to you another time, Taeyeon.”

“Oh, okay. Talk to you another time then.” Taeyeon waved goodbye.

Jessica bowed to Taeyeon in respect before leaving in fast-paced footsteps. Tiffany was giggling to herself as she watched her friend’s obvious change in expression.

“Are you going to be here still... Tiffany, was it?” Taeyeon asked with a little accent on her pronunciation.

“Yes and yes. I have no friends here except Jessica… and now you, Taeyeon.” Tiffany directed a small grin at the shorter girl before continuing, “The party is too formal for me, since I prefer a playful atmosphere rather than a business one.” Tiffany said, frowning in a cute manner which caused Taeyeon’s heart to move away from its steady beats. Tiffany gazed over at the papers on Taeyeon’s lap to see a pile of hand-written lyrics and music sheets that the girl was working on. “Oh, wait, am I bothering you? I can leave if you like.” Tiffany got up from her seat slightly but was immediately stopped by Taeyeon’s outreached arm.

“Of course not! It’s definitely fine for you to be here. I wouldn’t be able to think of anything anyway if you leave, so I prefer the company.” Taeyeon tried her best to keep the brunette back, without realizing her true purpose of actually not wanting Tiffany to go.

Tiffany flashed another one of those eye-smiles at Taeyeon before sitting back down. Out of curiosity (again) Tiffany scooted closer to Taeyeon without the other girl noticing. “You’re a composer?”

Feeling a sudden air of heat flowing through her ear, Taeyeon turned her head to her left and almost jumped when she saw how close Tiffany. She was being slightly distracted again, this time by Tiffany’s scent. Completely forgetting to answer the question, Tiffany looked up to see what was wrong. There was a weird silence as they both notice how their faces were less than one feet away from each other.

Taeyeon was the first to back away and tried to change the atmosphere by answering the question asked earlier. “Y-yeah. I am.”

“Oh how cool! I always wanted to personally know a composer. Jessica never introduces to me to any of her co-workers since she’s not really close with anyone.” Tiffany sighed in disappointment, observing the music sheet on Taeyeon’s lap. “So who sings all of these?”

“I do.” Taeyeon claimed, sparking Tiffany’s attention once again.

“You sing, too? Wow!” Tiffany voiced the last exclamation in pure English. “That makes sense on why Jessica knows you now. Do you think I can hear you work?”

“Sure. Do you want to come to my recording session at the company on Monday then? I need a second party to listen to a song for my new album…only if you’re interested that is…” Taeyeon scratched her head shyly while offering Tiffany a chance to hear her sing.

“I can come? Really!?” Tiffany clasped her hands together in excitement as her eyes widened.

“Unless you don’t want to.”

“I’ll be more than happy to!” The brunette clapped, whirling around in her seat as her eye-smile glittered with happiness. It would be her first time in a studio, furthermore being able to hear a recording live. “I can’t wait to hear you sing!”

“Don’t expect too much.” Taeyeon laughed at the girl’s actions.

Tiffany and Taeyeon both saved each other’s numbers on their own phones for future contact. Deciding to just hang out in the garden and disregarding the party, they passed time through small talks and random stories. Little did they know, they status went from ‘strangers’ to being ‘close friends’ at a faster rate than anyone could have imagined… Maybe it’s fate.
 


★☆★

 

“Aish…” Jessica was having a very difficult time searching for Yuri in the large crowd of people…most who were much taller than her. She tried to tip-toe so that she would be able to see over their heads, but eventually grew tired from the uncomfortable position. Exhausted from the endless (not to mention rather failed) search, the princess escaped out to the balcony, wanting to breathe in some fresh air before going back to looking for her ‘prince’.

There was no one else around in Jessica’s little space, and thanks to that fact, Jessica felt much more comfortable. Even though her sociability had improved over the past year with a certain someone-special’s help, she could never get used to being in large groups.

Leaning her arms against the rail, she gazed up at the dark sky, trying to peacefully process some thoughts on what she should say to Yuri once she sees her. ‘Come to think of it…what am I going to say?

The truth was... The question had never crossed her mind until now. All that was in her head were Yuri, their memories, and her mistakes.

Jessica was admiring the shimmering lights in the sky while bearing a regretful look in her eyes. “The star is really beautiful…” She bent over and stretched her arm out in the air, as if attempting to grasp the shiniest star into her hold. “But I can’t reach it…”

 

---



On the other side of the second floor was a busy prince, who was unwillingly greeting her present and future business partners with the addition of other attendees while bearing fake smiles and interests. Hearing meaningless congratulations and bowing out of respect were tiring her out.

She agreed to become the next heir, taking over the president’s seat of the Kwon Enterprise in place of her father, under the condition if, and only if, he would allow her to live independently, with the inclusion of non-interference to any of her choices. However, it wasn’t as easy as she thought it would be.

Yuri had been repeating the same things over and over for an hour since the beginning of the opening ceremony and figured it was time for a brief break. It was technically also her welcoming party so she should have deserved more than these tiring activities.

“I’m going to go rest. Want to go with me, Hyoyeon?” Yuri asked her friend who was standing near the small bar, sipping off her drink.

“Huh… wha- was that?” The shorter girl replied with another question that was being cut-off due to her constant hic-cups.

Oh God she’s drunk…’ Yuri could sense a bad feeling coming toward her way when she smelled the alcohol from her friend. “Well…um…be sure to not get yourself in any trouble and uh…just…stay there. I’m going to walk around.” It was best to just sneak away and avoid the later consequences with the over-honest drunk. Knowing Hyoyeon well, Yuri was sure that she would eventually get her forehead flicked for no reason, and her secrets being spilled to strangers by her friend.

Yuri was in need of air and space from being in this crowded area for too long. She walked over to the balcony, hopefully to get some peace and quiet alone for herself, but from afar, she saw the place was already occupied by another guest.

However, it was if her feet were moving against her will, she did not walk away but slowly approached closer. A girl with golden brown was leaning on the rail, staring up at the sky with her back to Yuri. There was something about that person that attracted Yuri’s gaze. She could not keep her eyes off her. The girl turned her head slightly, showing her face’s side-view. At that one second, she felt that time stopped… she knew well who it was…

Jung Sooyeon, the person she had loved and was still in love with.

Should she call out to her… letting her know that she’s finally back home? Back to where her heart truly was…? Or should she just walk away… so that she could start to forget… forget all her love for Jessica.

Yuri’s mind did not give her time to think… instead, it ordered her body to move.

 

---



“The stars are really beautiful aren’t they?”

Assuming that she was alone, the voice shocked her as she slightly jolted and quickly withdrew her outreached hand. It then hit Jessica on how familiar that voice was, as it drew nearer to her. How could she forget the sound of that person’s voice? The voice that belong to the one whom she had been wishing to see…

“Long time no see, Jessica.”

The one whom she loved so much: Kwon Yuri.

Was she dreaming? The stunning beauty in the red dress was making her heart pound at an uncontrollable rate. There was only one person who could make that possible. Of course… it had to be her.

“H-hello there, Yuri.” Those were the only words that she could speak. She was in panic, not knowing what to really say.
Yuri returned Jessica a warm smile. “You dyed your hair?” Yuri then stepped closer and reached out her hand to lightly touch the strands against her fingers.

Jessica stayed still; she did not really want to move. She stole a glance at Yuri and observed the girl’s face as her face changed its color when she realized how beautiful Yuri had become over the past year.

Yuri soon pulled her hand away, after realizing that she might have been invading her friend’s personal space just now. “It’s beautiful.”
Jessica always heard of flatteries from others about her blonde hair, saying that it suited her and had gotten used to it, although, it felt different with Yuri. “Thanks. You did, too?”

“Yeah. I wanted to change a bit.” Yuri replied, bearing a hidden meaning behind her words. “I didn’t know that you were here.”

“I didn’t know you came back.” Jessica said with a pout on her face. She knew she shouldn’t be blaming Yuri for not telling her, but she couldn’t help but felt a little sad about that. “Your cousin invited me here.”

“Yoona did?” Yuri was surprised. She was half grateful that she did not tell her cousin about her problems with Jessica, otherwise Yoona would do more than just merely inviting. “I’m really sorry for not saying anything.”

“No, it’s alright. It’s not your fault that I changed my phone number already.”

Yuri was feeling a bit relieved, knowing that she could use that as an excuse for not informing Jessica. “Yeah, you’re right. It’s not my fault.” Jessica then gave Yuri an icy glare to the girl’s little tease, reminding her on how she should not mess with the ice princess. Even so… Yuri felt happy inside. “I saw you on TV yesterday. So you became a singer, huh? You improved a lot.”

“T-Thank you.” Jessica appreciated, stumbling on her words while blushing slightly from Yuri’s compliment. ‘But it just doesn’t feel the same way when you’re not there with me…’

“So what are you doing here out in the cold?”

Finding it hard to say ‘because I was looking for you and I got tired so I decided to rest here’, she told Yuri the alternative truth. “Taking a breather. I feel a bit out of place with Tiffany when she was talking with your friend, Taeyeon. What about you?”

Yuri was a bit surprised to know hear that Taeyeon was talking with Tiffany, but decided not to say anything about it. She then answered Jessica’s question instead, “Same here. My secretary is with Sunny and Hyoyeon is ‘dangerously’ drinking at the bar.”

“Don’t tell me she’s drunk.” After Yuri nodded as a reply, Jessica let out a small giggle, remembering the times of when the dancer Hyoyeon was out of control. Jessica remembered Hyoyeon and Sunny from the past. She used to be close with everyone since they were Yuri’s close friends. But after Yuri had moved away, she grew distant from them, only running to one another a couple of times. “I miss those days…” Jessica still couldn’t bring herself to say that it was Yuri that she missed. Yuri, on the other hand, did not say anything but kept silent as she stared at the stars.

Truthfully, Jessica was afraid to tell Yuri all of those things she had been longing to say. She was still scared that she would immediately break into tears. She was frightened that she might have been too late. Or in other words, Jessica had lost the courage to tell Yuri her feelings in fears of rejection.

It feels like I’ve been dreaming for a while. Standing here in front of each other like that day from a year ago… Those beautiful memories and promises that we made… they’re all coming back to me now. I don’t think my heart can take it. I’ve been restraining myself at the thought of you… Yuri, how has your one year been?’ Jessica stared at Yuri for a long time, badly wished she could speak her thoughts, but…she just couldn’t.

“You know what…” Yuri suddenly spoke up as Jessica quickly turned away so that the other girl wouldn’t notice how she was stealing glances at her. “I talk to stars.”

“You…what?” Jessica requested a repeat.

“I talk to stars.” Yuri replayed her words, being much clearer this time while receiving a confused look from Jessica. “Whenever I have a problem or feelings I cannot convey to anyone else, I tell them. They may not answer me but it gives me a feeling of relief just being able to let it out with…something.”

“What do you talk about?”

Yuri paused for a few seconds as she turned to face Jessica, staring deeply into her eyes. “Just…about my mistakes.”

Yuri did not look away, and neither did Jessica. She indirectly sent a message to her friend, telling her that it was her that she had always spoken about. There were mixed emotions in their eye contact… Feelings of pain, desire, regrets, temptation, and lastly…
…love…

“Sica, we’re…friends right?”

“Yuri, I-”

“Hey, Yuri! There you are!”

Before Jessica could finally confess, they were interrupted by someone who called out to Yuri. They both swayed to opposite directions as their faces were turning red from the long intense stare at each other.

The third party politely bowed to the guest before turning back to Yuri. “Your father wants to see you.”

“My dad? Alright, I’ll be there right away.” Yuri looked back at Jessica, saying her good-bye before exiting from the balcony. “I guess I’ll talk to you some other time, Sica. Take care.”

“Oh, okay…” Jessica waved weakly. Yuri gave Jessica a warm smile before disappearing back into the crowd. Jessica felt utterly disappointed as she watched Yuri leave and then a few seconds later gone.

The other girl stood observing the other two, acting as a somewhat of an interfering third wheel. From the looks of how they greeted each other, the tall girl knew they weren’t involved in a business relationship.

Deciding to find out, she introduced herself to the blonde girl, holding out her hand to give a polite handshake, “I’m Sooyoung. Yuri’s secretary and friend from Japan.”

Jessica took Sooyoung’s hand and shook it gently while responding with her own short introduction, “Jessica. Nice to meet you, Sooyoung-sshi.”

“Just Sooyoung is fine. Nice to meet you, Jes-” Sooyoung paused for a few seconds until the name really processed in her head. “Wait… Did you say your name was Jessica?”

“Yes…?” The blonde hair girl confirmed confusingly.

Sooyoung went into her thinking mode, placing her fingers in a v-shape as she placed them under her chin, while observing the girl in front of her. The one she always heard of from Yuri.

“Is there something wrong?”

“N-no, nothing. Nothing at all....” Sooyoung laughed nervously, rubbing the back of her head. ‘So this girl is Jessica…

 

☆★☆



Yuri arrived at the destination where she was called her to, seeing her parents from afar talking with a familiar business partner: the Song family. From the distance, Yuri could already tell that there were more than just mere business talks. Genuine small laughs and friendly gestures were also involved.

During the Kwon’s worst economic trouble, the Song Company had managed to loan Mr. Kwon a large amount of sum to pay off his debt with little interest charged. It was a kind trade-off between childhood friends, for Mr. Kwon and Mr. Song had known each other since they were kids and were close as brothers. Even so, Yuri had only seen their faces through photos and had never personally met the Song family.

Yuri approached the small group, politely greeting her parents and the honorable guests.

“Oh there you are! I would like to introduce to you, as you already know, my daughter, Yuri.” Yuri took their offered hands and shook them lightly. “Yuri, this is Mr. and Mrs. Song and their daughter, Victoria.”

Mr. Kwon individually introduced each family member to Yuri, however only one really caught her eye… The daughter of the Song family: Victoria. She radiated with a foreign gentleness in beauty that Yuri, as a girl whose looks were well equally matched, had to admire. However, it took both of them a while to notice that they were staring at each other. Embarrassed at the awkwardness, they bowed simultaneously, treating it as a greeting and an apology to the other for the rudeness.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Yuri.”

 

---



Requested by both parents, they were to let them have a private talk while trying to have both their daughters get along with one another. There was awkward atmosphere as both felt as if they were being locked up in an empty room with only each other to keep themselves company. Both girls found themselves walking toward nowhere and…getting nowhere.

Furthermore, Yuri’s mind was definitely elsewhere, as she occasionally gaze over at the balcony, checking to see if Jessica was still there. Disappointed to see that her friend already left, she decided to start a friendly conversation with Victoria to attempt to know her better.

“Victoria-sshi was it?”

“Victoria is fine.” The other girl replied, not wanting to be too formal than they already were.

“May I ask why did you move here?” Yuri asked, considering the fact she was once told that Victoria was a foreigner.

“I wanted to try living a new life,” replied Victoria in a casual manner.

Yuri thought for a few seconds within her own conscience. The idea of ‘new life’ had struck a thought in her, ‘Maybe I should try to move on…’

“How is it going so far?” Victoria asked, giving off a short but a gentle smile.

Yuri suddenly felt uneasy. This question usually associated with something that made her felt trapped and restrained. “The company is doing well. I’m trying my bes-”

“I’m not asking about the company.” Victoria’s interference made Yuri’s eyebrow perked up in confusion. “I’m asking about you, Yuri. How is it going so far for you?” Victoria rephrased herself, clarifying what she really meant.

Aside from the immediate drop from the honorifics, Yuri was surprised that Victoria was the one of the very people who had asked about her well-being rather than the company’s condition, especially if that person was related to her through a business connection.

Yuri smile sincerely in appreciation while giving a fully honest answer, “Not so well, but I’ll be fine.” Even though it was a mere question, it meant quite a lot to Yuri.

Being distracted within her own rare happiness, Yuri did not notice the emotion of the person next to her.

You really don’t remember me, do you Yuri?

 

★☆★



Several hours then passed. The ending ceremony was finally carried out and the guests began to leave one by one. The Kwon family, excluding Yuri, was busy bidding good bye to their visitors, thanking them for the visit. From the window of her room, Yuri gazed down on the road at a specific someone. She unconsciously gripped the curtains as she watched the girl stepped on the car and drifted off, away from anywhere near her. Yuri closed the curtains, switched off the lights, and left the room while bearing thoughts of her next step that were still… undecided.

 

===========================