Coincidence

Catching Feelings

 

 

Tonight is one solemn night in the heart of Seoul, in a multi-purpose room at one of the best hotels in the city to be precise. The most successful lawyers get together for one of the most talked about and anticipated events in the world of lawyers who specialize in corporate law. The pointed glass at the end of half full of the most delicious champagne in the country was in the hands of most of the invited guests, taking occasional slow sips to relax their minds a little.

 

The girl stomped her feet occasionally looking around her, looking for a familiar face to greet her.

 

"Appa!" she almost shouted to the middle-aged man who was busy chatting with his partner.

 

“You made it!” the man quickly grabbed the little body of his beloved girl.

 

"Of course Appa, they canceled our exam." the girl replied while giving her sad expression which made the man chuckle.

 

“Isn't that great? The more time you have to study. " Joohyun and the middle-aged man laughed, helping to relax the tension that was around them.

 

"Mr. Bae! "

 

Joohyun and the man immediately searched for the source of the sound, found a handsome and calm man approaching them with a trot.

 

"Oh! there you are! How are you Jihoon? ”

 

"I am great Mr. Bae! How about you? "

 

“Sounds good! me? Thank goodness I'm alive, and cancer-free. " With that making Joohyun, her father and the young man laugh.

 

"Let me introduce both of you, this is my daughter, my princess, Bae Joohyun, her stage name is Irene." Joohyun immediately smiled, making the young man smile back.

 

"Pleasure to meet you, Princess Joohyuun." The man presented his hand and immediately replied by Joohyun.

 

"Pleasure is all mine, uh ...?"

 

“Jihoon.”

 

Right.. Jihoon”

 

"Joohyun-ah, Jihoon is a senior associate in B&K Partners." The middle-aged man cleared his throat to his daughter.

 

"Ah! so you are my senior? maybe I should call you Jihoon-oppa !? ” Joohyun answered while giving a cheerful tone.

 

The young man chuckled seeing his boss's daughter looking very cheerful and energetic.

 

"No need to! You can call me Jihoon. "

 

"Impossible! I will call you Jihoon-oppa."

 

"Okay, make yourself comfortable, Irene-ssi.”

 

"Then Appa will leave you with Jihoon? I still have a lot to take care of. "

 

“No, Appa! I just happened to stop by to say hello, I'll hang out with my friends in the next room." before his father could reply, Joohyun immediately tidied up her appearance,

 

"Bye Appa, Jihoon-oppa." The beautiful girl lightly kissed her father on the cheek and then bent her body slightly to respect the man who is two years older than her who is also her father's partner in the family company.

 

The man continued to pay attention to Joohyun until the girl's shadow disappeared into a room that was brighter and warmer.

 

"Stay away from my daughter, she's off limits." The middle-aged man cleared his throat and chuckled again.

 

"Ah, yes, sir." Jihoon rubbed his head which he believed was not itchy.

 

"Only because I know that you're not her type, don't waste your youth."

 

 

"Park Sooyoung!" Joohyun jogged with her black high heels, combined with a black one-piece dress with elegant make-up and plum red lips that matched the girl's face, it was easy to make people stunned by her beauty.

 

"Yeah! You said you wouldn't come! ” Sooyoung stopped her activities which were none other than enjoying the main course tonight, Joohyun lifted her shoulders.

 

"Suddenly just wanting to go, there's nothing wrong with making Appa happy every now and then."

 

"You're right. Anyway, you look pretty. " Sooyoung decided to continue eating.

 

“Aw! Thank you baby. To be honest, to come here, I am effortless, I just pick anything from my wardrobe. "

 

"Well, lucky you. You're obviously effortlessly pretty. "

 

“Right !? Ha ha ha ha"

 

Sooyoung just rolled his eyes, maybe her wrong steps have praised her best friend.

 

"Where's Son Seungwan, Syoung-ah?"

 

"Oh, I told her to take the seared rib eye, there were only 3 portions left ! can you believe that !? Heol, I can't believe these old people are still consuming red meat. Shouldn't they be eating more fibers?"

 

Joohyun just chuckled, "Yeah right, you and Wendy, and your tong belly."

 

"Whatever, I'm happy. You know my life motto is, I will never regret and think "I should have eaten that!" no. never again. One day, when I visited Indonesia, I saw "Sate Padang" on the side of the road near the airport, I really wanted to try it, but my brother just pulled me away and I was sorry all my life for not trying it, I couldn't sleep on the plane thinking about it until morning."

 

Joohyun is now laughing quite satisfied, she should never have started talking about food to her best friend, or she would have spent a long night listening to Sooyoung talks about how delicious the jjangmyeon she tasted yesterday or how salty the steak she ate yesterday.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, can you come to my house tomorrow?”

 

“What for? I have assignments to finish, you know that.”

 

“I’ll help you! It’s just.. there’s this thing that impossible for me to do it alone.”

 

Sooyoung raised her eyebrow, sensing the tense from Joohyun’s expression while the other girl keeps thinking about her moments together with the pizza girl Kim Taeyeon, throughout the entire ride here, also thinking how she would tell her best friend how she can’t shake it from her head. The thought of seeing Taeyeon’s smile drives her crazy . It her in so deep that she almost misses the traffic light.

 

“Y-you know.. the piz-pizz..”


“Stop. I feel like I know what you’re talking about here… is that Kim Taeyeon, the delivery pizza girl!?”

 

“Ssssh!” Joohyun shushed her best friend with her thumb.

 

“Yyyaaah! I wonder how stunning she is to drives my not-so-straight best friend crazy..”


“SsSHHH! Yah! Park Sooyoung! Do you want to die!? Appa’s partners are around!!” Joohyun covered Sooyoung’s mouth with her palm, making it impossible for her to chew her dessert.

 

“Sorry! Let go! I’m hungry!”

 

“You know that, I told you about my old crush back then in middle school, and she was a girl.”

 

“I just didn’t think you’d feel the same again towards a woman.”

 

“Who knows? I might kiss a girl from a bar tomorrow..”

 

“Uh-uhuk! No! I won’t let you. You just got dumped, calm your woman.”

 

Joohyun chuckled, took another sip from her half-empty wine.

 

“So, are you going to help me or what? Pweaaase.. help your broken-hearted best friend to get her number… pweaaaase.” Joohyun pouted while leaning her head towards Sooyoung’s shoulder.

 

“And then what!? What if she isn’t swings both way? Another heartbreak?”

 

“Yah! I just have this ‘little’ crush on her, it’s not like I want to date her tomorrow!”

 

“Whatever. What do you want me to do anyway? Ask her number?”

 

Yah! Aniya! Just pretend that you order a pizza and I’ll be the one who open the door.”

 

“What if it’s not Kim Taeyeon who delivers the pizza?”

 

Joohyun stared blankly at her best friend. “I guess it depends on your luck, Joohyunie~” Sooyoung laughed out loud then continued her eating.

 

“Yah, you better do something good now so you will get a reward from God tomorrow, you can start by helping me finish my thesis.”

 

“Thanks, but I’ll just keep holding on to my luck tomorrow.” Sooyoung shrugged.

 

Moments later a short-haired girl with her simple black dress showed up with two plates of seared rib eye-steak on both her hands.

 

“What did I miss!?”

“Wendy! It’s past 9 PM, you shouldn’t eat this much, it can worsens your stomach-ache.” Joohyun grabbed one of the plates and put it on the table nearby.

 

“I’ll just have a half of it Eomma!” Wendy pouted as she tried to take the plate back but Joohyun already blocked her way.

 

“No! just take something light, you can eat salad.” Joohyun gave her a bowl of salad with salmon in it.

 

“Yah Joohyun-Eomma, what about me? I had a headache last night.” Said Sooyoung then continued her eating.

 

“I don’t have a daughter like you.” Joohyun left the scene to take a glass of wine leaving Sooyoung dumbfounded and followed by Wendy’s laugh.

 

“MEAN!” Sooyoung shouted and succeeded to make people around them turned their gaze to the girls.

 

Three minutes later Joohyun came back with a glass of wine on her hand,

 

“Joohyun-ah, you didn’t tell me that the delivery girl is Kim Taeyeon!” Wendy Said enthusiastically.

 

“What!? Do you know her!?”

 

“Of course I know her. She’s pretty famous in our university though.”

 

“Wait, what!? She’s in the same university with us!?”

 

Wendy nodded while Sooyoung decided to shut as she listened to her best friends talking while enjoying her steak slowly.

 

“Sooyoung told me the name then I felt like I’ve heard her name before. So I looked through my phone, is this her?” Wendy showerd Joohyun a picture of a girl who was holding a big gold throphy and a silver medal with the chancellor of the university.

 

“That’s her! How do you know her!?”

 

“You and Sooyoung should at least to have friends outside our major seriously.”

 

“Shush! I don’t like to socialize, so who is this Kim Taeyeon?” Replied Joohyun as she grabbed Wendy’s phone and giving her full attention to the cute picture, her smile grew wilder.

 

Sooyoung tried to peek and caught a small figure with her medal and throphy.

 

“She’s so pretty.” Said Sooyoung unconsciously.

 

“She is though. She’s our senior.”

 

It was Joohyun and Sooyoung’s turn to turned their gaze to wendy, left dumbfounded.

 

“Yah! But she looks so young!” Sooyoung shouted as she took a careful watch again at the picture.

 

“Kim Taeyeon is a senior, a year older than us. She’s a 4th Year Medical Student. She is at the top of her class. She’s famous due to her brilliant brain and her beauty, no wonder Joohyun was mesmerized by her.”

 

Joohyun and Sooyoung’s jaw dropped. “But Sooyoung-ah, Joohyun herself is already goddess right?” Wendy said as she continued eating her salad. Sooyoung nodded as if she agreed on Wendy’s statement.

 

Joohyun chuckled at the compliment.

 

“Can you find her SNS? I wanna take a better look.” Sooyung replied.

 

“Park Sooyoung! I’m watching you! I laid my eyes on her first.” Joohyun tapped Sooyoung’s back lightly, making Wendy chuckle.

 

“Oh please! You’re my Umma, why would I snap my Umma’s gf?”

 

“Yah! She’s not my gf, yet!” Joohyun blushed as she hides her face with her palm.

 

“Are you blushing!? I swear Irene-ssi, you’d be dead if she already has a boyfriend or girlfriend or a partner.” Sooyoung couldn’t believe her eyes, seeing her best friend blushing, deep down feeling relieved that her best friend looked like she got over the break-up pretty fast.

 

“You both just agreed that I am pretty.”

 

“Well, indeed you are, and then what?”

 

“At least I have something to offer. My battle hasn’t even started yet.” Joohyun winked, making her best friends rolled their eyes.

 

“Let’s just check out her SNS, okay!?” Wendy suggested so she grabbed her phone back,

 

“Here.”

 

 

“OMG. WHAT?. IS. SHE. REALLY. OUR. SENIOR!?” again, Sooyoung seemed like she forgot that they were at a real formal setting.

 

“Shush!!!! Park Sooyoung!”

 

“I’m sorry! But she looks TWELVE! She-”

Before Sooyoung finish her sentence, Joohyun’s phone was ringing.

 

“Yes, Appa. Okay, I’ll be right there Appa.”

 

“Wendy, send me the username. Fast. You both stay here, appa just called me, I’ll be right back.”

 

Joohyun then left her best friends and went outside to meet her father, on her way out she keeps thinking about knowing that the girl is in the same university, a senior, even her SNS. She was feeling excited inside somehow.

 

A smile never left her beautiful face that night.

 

 

 

The harsh wind blows across the small garden, through the stone hallways, making her shiver.

 

She tucks her chin further into the thick scarf wrapped around her neck and pushes both hands deeper inside her coat pockets.

 

The normally green hedges with red and yellow hibiscus bushes are bare and the fountain in the center is dry.

 

This particular garden is usually never quiet. There will always be several tourists, students or simply people who need a quick break and some tranquility walking around or just sitting quietly. But the weather has allowed her to have the place to herself and she’s grateful for that.

 

She puts her hot latte down on the table as she sat down. She took out her laptop and began to continue finishing her papers before her phone rang.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, where are you?”

 

“I’m at the garden. Why?”

 

“This late? It’s already 9 PM Taeyeon-ah. Go home. It’s dangerous.”

 

“Hwang Miyoung, why are you so noisy? It’s still early. I want to clear my head.”

 

“Don’t call me that! Alright, alright. I’ll fix my clothes then I’ll be there.”

 

“Yah.. Fany-ah, am I missing a point or what? I don’t remember I invited you to join me.”

 

“I hope you don’t mind, I invited myself along.”

 

“We agreed to take some time off.”


“That doesn’t mean we can’t be together you know. We’ll just talk. Beside, you have to tell me how you memorize the 12 cranial nerves that fast! Mr. Kang was impressed!.” Replied Tiffany.

 

Taeyeon chuckled, her smile grew wider.

 

“Alright then, come on up then we’ll find a warmer spot.”

 

“Yay! Okay! See ya Boo.”

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

“So have you finished your case report?” she remarked as they sat down at one of the nearby cafés, talking over a cup of hot chocolate for her and coffee for Tiffany.

 

“I haven’t, Mr. Kang is seriously hating on me. He gave Yoong a much easier case Pterygium while mine is Diaebetic Retinopathy!” Taeyeon laughed as she heard her ex-girlfriend grumbling about their professor.

 

“I think he was fair enough to do that, it’s an important cause of visual loss worldwide Fany-ah. It would be beneficial for your clinical year later. It’s an advanced material.”

 

“You and your smart- can handle that. I couldn’t even remember the indications for dialysis properly before you taught me!”

 

“Which was…?”

 

“What?”

 

“The indications for dialysis.”

 

“Uh… YAH! Suddenly!?”

 

“Focus on my question, Fany-ah.”

 

“Can you give me a hint.”

 

“It starts with A.. E…”

 

“AEIOU! Acidosis Metabolics, Electrolytes Hyperkalemia, Intoxication, Overload, Uremia!”

 

Taeyeon chuckled and clapped, she took another sip of her hot chocolate feeling satisfied.

 

“See? You still remember it.”

 

“Thanks to you, Kim Taeyeon.”

 

“It wasn’t me, it was you. you worked hard, you studied hard enough.”

 

Tiffany gave her eye-smile while Taeyeon took another sip, hiding her smile behind the cup.

 

“So how was work?” Said Tiffany as she starts unpacking her luggage.

 

“Work is okay. I took a day off yesterday.”

 

“Well you needed it after all. You’ve been working three days in a row.”

 

“I know. Anyway we have neuroanatomy test tomorrow, right? I forgot to wrote down on my schedule.” Taeyeon tried to change the topic.

 

“Like you should be worried. You’ll ace it eventually.”

 

“Who knows? I just remembered that we have a test tomorrow. Let’s make quizzes.” Taeyeon took her flashcards, stacking them in order.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, even if you aren’t ready for the test, you know the drill.”

 

“What are you talking about Fany-ah?”

 

“I’m saying, if you dont know the answer, choose b, it’s always a b."

 

Taeyeon laughed out loud. What kind of drill is that? It doesn’t make sense at all.

 

“Ah yes. I almost forget. You’re a smart , even if you don’t know the answer you’ll just eliminate the options.”

“That’s not what I’m saying Ha Ha. It’s just so funny to hear that. I might try that later though, thank you for the advice.”

 

“It’s my pleasure Kim Taeyeon.” Replied Tiffany followed by her chuckle, “Anyway, how’s Yuri though? She missed eight classes already. Did she tell you anything?”

 

“Yeah, I’m worried.” Taeyeon took out her phone to check up on her best friend’s condition. Tiffany immediately grabbed Taeyeon’s phone.

 

“Yah! What are you doing?”

 

“No texting while you’re with me.” Tiffany was about to lock Taeyeon’s phone before a notification bar popped up.

 

(Bae Irene liked your photo.)

 

Tiffany turned her gaze to the other girl, while Taeyeon raised her eyebrow looking confused.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, who is Bae Irene?”

 

 

__________________________________________________________________