Chapter 5

She’s All That
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Loser does this week’s laundry!” Eunji came up to Chorong who’s walking alone before running to the cafeteria. Chorong realising that’s Eunji playing dirty and not wanting to do her laundry run after her with all her might.

 

“You cheater!” Chorong said before putting down her tray and taking her seat in front of Eunji. The girl in front of her just shrug her shoulder with a wide grin plastered on her face. She’s so annoying, Chorong thought to herself as she rolls her eyes. 

 

Chorong has no idea how they ended up there. How now almost 24 hours of her day is filled by Jeong Eunji’s presence. How she’d wait for Chorong before going to breakfast together. How they’d walk to their activities together. Eunji still hangout with the kids during activities but it all now involves Chorong. Even when she hangouts with Jieun she’d invite Chorong along and as much as Chorong would really love to spend her free time reading, spending time with Eunji is just as fun, maybe even better. Eunji makes her happy, with her dad jokes, her stupid grin, her loud laugh, her bright smile, just being around Jeong Eunji makes Chorong happy.

 

Eunji is annoying, immature, she put on pranks with the kids now and then but she makes Chorong feels like a little child again. Eunji made Chorong feels like it is okay to have fun, stuff she doesn’t get to feel at school or home, when everyone expect her to grow up and be mature and be serious almost all the time. It was the reason Chorong volunteered to be a counselor for the summer camp. To experience the childhood that was taken away from her when her mother left and her father busies himself with work, forcing her to grow up way too early. Chorong resented Eunji because she’s someone from school, so Chorong had to keep up with her stoic personality. But after getting to know Eunji, she realised that Eunji doesn’t treat her like people from school. Eunji isn’t scared to include Chorong in the conversation, she is not scared to tease Chorong or sometimes pull little pranks on her. Eunji makes Chorong feels included. And it was so much more than Chorong hoped the summer would be. 

 

She first realised that she likes Eunji when she finds herself getting all excited about Eunji’s birthday. It was when she had to do their laundry since she lost their race (that Eunji insisted she won fair and square because Chorong is just ‘so slow’) that Jieun mentioned about Eunji’s birthday and how she’s been talking to their head counselor, Minji about throwing a surprise birthday party for Eunji. Ever since then, that was all that’s occupying her head. What should she get her? What would she like? What is an appropriate gift from a friend? All sort of questions occupying her mind. That’s when she knows she’s in deep for the baseball player.

 

A week before her birthday, Eunji was acting different. It was like she’s somehow trying to avoid her. Some days she’d still wait for Chorong before breakfast but most of the time she just sit among the kids and there’s no more seat for Chorong so she had to sit on the other side of the table. Eunji no longer invite Chorong when she hangouts with the kids. At first she doesn’t realise it because she  and Jieun has been hanging out most of the time together throughout the whole week. But then when Eunji went for laundry without telling her, she just know something is wrong. Because Eunji hates doing the laundry more than anything in this world. When it’s her turn to do their laundry, she’d pester Chorong to be with her doing the laundry. When Chorong told Jieun about how weird she’s been acting, Jieun just told her that she’s been thinking too much and told her to just brush it off and so she did since there’s more important thing for her to think about. 

 

They have all agreed to pull Eunji’s surprise birthday party at Apollo’s cabin since everyone in the cabin is involved with the celebration. And Chorong’s task is to make sure Eunji’s not in the cabin so everyone else could decorate their cabin. It would’ve been easy because they go for a walk together sometimes at night along the campfire before. Before Eunji was avoiding her, before she gets busy with planning Eunji’s birthday, before they had spent less time together through the week. But now it’s all different and a part of herself is cursing Jieun for making her do this.

 

“Eunji? Do you want to go for a walk?” It’s almost 11.30pm and she needs to get her out so that they could prepare for the celebration. Chorong’s already putting h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter