lost

she lost her sun, but found a bunny

yongsun was moonbyul’s sun, she was her everything, so when the college student found her lover in bed with another woman when she came home early after classes were cancelled, she felt her world falling apart.

a chill took over her body, leaving her entire being frozen in its wake, as she stood in the doorway of their shared bedroom, witnessing the two bare bodies frantically grabbing at clothes and muted words being thrown between them – almost like a silent film - before one was gone, and the other was left in a pile of blankets on the bed, head looking down.

“byul… i can explain…” yongsun trailed off, ironically being at a loss of words to continue with. she wrapped herself up in the blanket and got off the bed, taking a step towards the still frozen girl. however, it was as though the girl managed to break out of her trance, as she flinched and took a step back, head turning towards the front door that just slammed shut seconds ago, as though to reconfirm that what had happened, did indeed happen.

yongsun, sensing that moonbyul was about to rush off, took big strides to the younger girl, reaching her hands out to grab her when the blanket slipped off her body, and there she stood, in all her glory, hand clasped on moonbyul’s wrist, but feeling her still try to pull away.

moonbyul looked back at yongsun right then, and the numerous memories of her lover in this state flashed through like a movie montage, a sharp pain hitting her heart.

she remembered their first time, the uncertainty and vulnerability they both held, but the overpowering love that was also present in that same time. she remembered all the intimate moments that followed, the times when they would come back from drinking with friends and not even be able to make it to their bedroom, leaving memories of their passion and love for each other everywhere.

then her mind flitted to how there was a stranger in her bed just minutes before, about to share those feelings that moonbyul had witnessed in yongsun no one had before, about to taint the couple’s shared bed, and she felt tears gathering in her eyes.

“byul,” yongsun cried out, the panic evident in her voice, but making no further action apart from the hand that was still tight around her lover’s wrist.

“i’m sorry, it’s my fault, i let the heat of the moment drive me and i wasn’t thinking and before i knew it, we were here, and you were there and i know it sounds like i’m making excuses and that nothing can make up for what i’ve done but- byul!”

moonbyul could not stand hearing the girl she loves sound so broken trying to explain herself and with one hard pull, broke free from the other’s grasp, running out of the apartment.

//

moonbyul was running, still running. she didn’t know where she was going anymore, she didn’t want to be in any place she recognised, so she just kept running. stores flew by, people dodged as she ran past, and moonbyul was focusing on managing her breathing to sustain her run, rather than the thoughts that were waiting to pounce and tear her mind apart the moment she let her mind wander. everywhere that she recognised ignited a memory of the older girl, and she was sure that would be too much, and so she ran.

further and further she got from the house she thought would be forever, until finally she let herself slow down in front of a park, with a worn out playground, turning into the pathway that led to the swings.

she stood in front of the swings and gasped for oxygen, hunching over, and clutching her sides that were burning from the stitches her run had given her.

it took her a few minutes to stabilise her breathing, and when she did, she took a seat on the swings, letting herself float, only occasionally pushing herself off the ground and riding on the momentum.

her mind floated from one moment to another, once again, she felt tears welling up in her eyes.

//

moonbyul had a weird obsession with the sun, the brightest star in our galaxy, ever since she was a little girl. she would always ask questions about the celestial body in the sky, asking how it glowed ever so brightly, why it had to disappear, and how she’d wish that the sun could be a person so that young moonbyul could give it a big hug for making her ever so happy.

she loved the sun for many reasons, she loved how warm it made her feel, lying down on the sunchair after a full day of hanging out in the pool. she loved the feeling of the sun following her on her school trips, constantly smiling and feeling the sun rays on her skin, although her classmates were continuously complaining about the heat. it was not only her, she felt the plants enjoying the warmth of it too, swaying gently in the wind and basking in it.

young moonbyul felt a sort of reciprocal love from the sun towards her, as weird as that sounded. there was never much rain around the girl, nothing apart from the occasional storms that even her love for the sun could not overcome.

as the years passed however, more and more rain clouds drew overhead moonbyul, constantly throwing herself into difficult situations and raining down on her parade. she found herself struggling to stay afloat, the rain water was slowly filling up in the tank she had somehow built for herself, the expectations from her family and teachers being too much to handle, but most importantly, her disappointing herself in not being able to follow her dreams like she wished she could. there was only one thing that decreased the water level in her tank.

she looked to the sun for support, turning to the fiery ball in the sky over and over again with tears running down her face, when things were getting too much to handle. sobs could be wrecking her body, tight from trying to quieten her cries, but she would feel slightly better when she could see the sun appearing from behind the clouds.

it was during these tough times that a second, physical, sun had appeared in her life in the form of kim yongsun. she was not moonbyul’s first girlfriend but was her first real love. she gave strength to the younger girl when the sun was hidden too well behind those fluffy clouds, allowing her to push through by being her pillar of support.

yongsun to her held the same power the sun had to her and she had never felt the same connection she felt with anyone as she did with the older girl.

having yongsun in her life allowed her to fulfil her childhood dream. she gave the older girl many hugs, gave her kisses all over, whenever she could. she knew better than to withstand affection, aware that her lover sought comfort and found reassurance with such displays of her love.

similarly, yongsun was heavy-handed in the affection she showed to moonbyul. constantly doing public displays of affections, to the embarrassment of moonbyul, for she was not used to it.

//

moonbyul lost track of time just swinging, around an hour or so had gone by when the purple and pink hues of the coming sunset was overcome by rainclouds. moonbyul scoffed.

‘just my luck really, watch it rain soon just to seal in the fact that i might loose my sun all over again,” moonbyul grumbled, giving in to her fate and just sitting there. true enough, the first droplets of rain landed in front of her, staining the sand one shade darker.

it was then that the reality of the situation truly dawned on her, and in no time, her tears were mixed with the rain. her wails of anguish coming from the unfamiliar sense of betrayal she felt deep within her tainted the silence that once filled the playground. she dropped from the swing, her knees hitting the ground harshly, causing a jolt of pain to run through her body but she ignored it. instead, she soaked in the melancholy the rain was providing her, feeling a sort of comfort she had never felt before from the intensity of mother nature’s wrath upon her.

she wondered if this was the end of the relationship she had naturally cherished and never saw herself coming out from, a relationship that had provided her with a sense of security, something the girl had always longed for.

while the rain was pouring down on her relentlessly, moonbyul heard a faint call of her name, dismissing it instantly to a mere hallucination, her emotions still overwhelming and pouring out of her. it wasn’t until she heard it again, this time clearer, and once more, the distance even yet smaller, and the sensation of the rain hitting her back suddenly gone that she realised that someone was actually there, who was now also covering her with an umbrella.

“who-“ the rest of the sentence was cut short, words trapped in her hoarse throat, when moonbyul looked up to the person holding her umbrella, only to see the one who had put her in this very predicament.

yongsun had tears in her eyes too, her hands were shaking as she forced the umbrella into moonbyul’s, before she kneeled down beside the younger girl, cupping her face in her hands, muttering words of apology over and over again. yongsun was looking at moonbyul all over, swiping away at the stray tears that were still leaking out, eyes full of regret, anxiety, and concern, and moonbyul in that very moment only thought of two sentences.

“maybe things can be alright. maybe i haven’t lost my sun,” feeling something in her start to lighten. miraculously, the rain started to lessen as well.

author's note: hihi I'm back with a somewhat story this time :0 its a three-shot, I've already finished part 2 and am like halfway through part 3 so I'll update part 2 when i finish the latter! also.. like... not edited, so I'm sorry for the typos and grammatical errors.. heh