Finale/Epilogue

Message In A Bottle

One Year Later

 

"You sure you don't want me to come? It's still pretty early", Lisa asked while I walk her to her car.

 

This monkey paid me a short visit at YG since she knew things were more hectic for me now, and she believes me seeing her face would actually cheer me up. I would never admit it to her, but it actually did the trick.

 

Now that I realized, I've been working really hard since our debut announcement. I barely even go home to rest. I had to practically reside at the YG building for all the preparations we've been working on the past few months. I could swear I aged ten times in a short period of time due to fatigue. 

 

But I know it'll be all worth it. Not all trainees were lucky enough to debut just after a year of training. Guess YG put a little too much trust on us. 

 

"It's not really important, Lis. I just need to take a breather and ask for a little confidence from the nature before I face the world tomorrow", I told her once we stopped just infront of her car.

 

"In Han river, really?", she lets out a small chuckle, "Why there, though?"

 

"The air is fresh there. Taking a good walk by the Han river always calms me, y'know", I replied, "That was where I went to when I passed the audition a year ago. So, I think it's a must for me to go there before my debut."

 

Lisa ruffles my hair, "You are always sentimental. Aigoo, my Rosie."

 

I playfully swat her hand and fix my hair, laughing, "Yah, my hairstylists took hours to make my hair!"

 

"Oh, man, you'll finally become a kpop superstar tomorrow!", she jumps on me and hooks an arm around my neck, "I swear if you ever forget your bestest bestfriend, I'm going to hunt you down."

 

Our laughters filled the air and I tried to wriggle from her hold by tickling her sides, "What did I promise you?"

 

"Free signed albums from all the members, free VIP concert tickets, and a dinner with Irene."

 

I lightly jab her stomach, "When did I ever promise you a dinner with Irene??"

 

Lisa cracks a grin, "Why not? She's still single, right?"

 

"Single, yes. But we all know her heart's still taken by Seulgi."

 

"But we all know that Seulgi is still very much taken by Jisoo, so..."

 

"So...", I flicked her forehead, "Still no Irene for you. That woman breathes fire. How could I ever ask her to go on a date with you."

 

"So I can't even use the perks of having a superstar bestfriend to my benefit?"

 

"You can't because I ain't a superstar yet, dumbo."

 

"In a few years, you'll be. I just know it", Lisa tosses me a wink, "I know you'll make it big in the industry because you are Rosie. There is nothing you cannot achieve."

 

I soften at her words and my lips automatically jut out in a pout. My bestfriend really knows how to say the right words at the right moment. I'll forever be thankful for her existence.

 

"Are you just saying that so I could help you with Irene??", I joked, feigning a frown.

 

"Hmm...a little?"

 

We engaged in a little childish wrestle all the while laughing, before Lisa pulled me in a big bear hug.

 

"I know you'll do well out there, Rosie. I know we banter a lot, and tease around a lot, but I'm really glad you're steps closer to your dreams", she said, "And know that I am so proud of you. I'll always be proud of you."

 

By the time we pulled back from the brief hug, there were already tears b my eyes.

 

"Thanks, Lis. Really."

 

"Geez, such a crybaby", her set of pearl white teeth showing off in a bright smile, "I should go now. This research paper's really giving me massive headache. Remind me again why I chose to attend university instead of training in YG?"

 

I bubble in a chuckle, "Because you wanted to be a doctor and treat people's illnesses. Now, go ahead and finish that paper. I better see you at the showcase tomorrow."

 

"Aye aye, kpop superstar Rosie!"

 

I managed to playfully kick her shin before we bid goodbyes and she drove off.

 

My bestest bestfriend indeed. She became even more enthusiastic ever since she survived the accident a year ago. Guess that's what having a second life does to you.

 

I tuck both of my hands inside the pockets of my coat and heaved out a sigh at the memory.

 

I never told Lisa what really happened that day. How she survived. We just told her it was a miracle. Weeks after her full recovery, she started asking about Jennie. But I just told her the girl already left. For good. I felt her sadness about it, but she was most especially sad for me. Maybe because she felt my pain, too. Because she felt that I was hurting, too. But she didn't pry about Jennie's whereabouts further. She knows it was something I cannot talk about. Even until now.

 

Jennie.

 

My heart still clenches just by the thought of her name. It's been a long ing year. Why do her memories still haunt me?

 

I chuckled bitterly at myself.

 

That was even more painful than an actual break-up. It's...a helpless kind of pain. Knowing that you cannot do anything about it anymore. So you had to let things be and go on about your life knowing that a part of you was taken away.

 

Life goes on, they say. But to me, that is the hardest part.

 

I subtly wipe the lone tear that managed to escape my eye. Dang, Rosie, it's been a year and you still cry.

 

My phone beeped in a second, and I opened the message to see that it was from my manager who was already waiting at the parking lot.

 

I pocketed my phone back and made sure to wipe any remaining traces of tears in my face before slightly jogging towards the parking lot of the building. Hopping inside our group's designated vehicle, I realized everyone was already there when I got in.

 

We're on our way home. And by home, I meant our dorm. Ever since the announcement of our debut, YG made us move into this apartment not far away from the agency. They also always fetch us and send us home so we won't be abruptly revealed to the public. 

 

Today, though, I made a little request to drop me off at the Han river with a promise that I would cover up myself well.

 

"Nervous for tomorrow, Rosie?", Seulgi, who's seated beside me, asked with a smile.

 

"Very much", I answered after reciprocating her gesture.

 

"I am, too. But I know we'll do well."

 

I really admire how Seulgi's always the most positive one among us. Back in those days when the four of us almost felt like giving up, she was always there to remind us that we didn't practice 15 hours a day just for us to give up that easily. 

 

"You can say that because you're an ace", I playfully commented.

 

"Hey, you're an ace, too! Joy's an ace, too. Irene's an ace, too. We're all aces here!"

 

"Yah, you're forgetting a name!", Somi blurted from the back of the van, and we all broke into fits of laughter.

 

"Oh, Somi, I'm surprised you're here? Thought you were resting somewhere on the studio's floor", Seulgi teased.

 

The young girl playfully rolled her eyes, "I'm over that phase, please."

 

"Of course of course, I was kidding. Somi's an ace, too", Seulgi throws her a finger heart.

 

"And what do you call a group having all members as ace?"

 

We all scoot closer to each other and bump our fists together, "Dream team!!"

 

"Man, all those sleepless nights and broken limbs are worth it!", Joy remarked.

 

Irene lets out a small chuckle, albeit quietly, "And all the hot-packs we've used, too."

 

Yeah, and all the cramps and sprains from difficult routines. They'll finally pay off.

 

"Let's do well tomorrow, guys!", I cheered.

 

"Let's rock the debut stage!"

 

I'm really glad I became a part of this group. Us five, we complement each other well. And although chaotic sometimes, we've always proved to everyone how deserving we are for this. And we never stopped trying until we got here.

 

We're finally debuting.

 

And I'm lucky to have these people who'll be with me throughout this journey.

 

~•~

 

"Cover yourself well, Roseanne. Don't let anyone notice you", my manager reminded me when I was about to hop off of the van.

 

"I will. And I won't take long, I promise", I told her.

 

"See you later, Rosie! Come home soon!", 

 

Joy's voice echoed in the background, followed by Somi's, and then Seulrene's. I could only chuckle.

 

I gave them a small wave and a smile once I got out of the van, and then they drove off.

 

Park Sooyoung still doesn't change. Still as persistent as ever. But at least I've already cleared things out with her and she's not bugging me much anymore unlike before. Somi's still the same crackhead I knew. Still resting face first on the floor, but not as often anymore.

 

Well, Seulgi's still dating Jisoo. And though they both became occupied the past few months because Jisoo's also debuting as an actress, one could say that they're still going strong. 

 

Much to Irene's dismay. 

 

We don't talk a lot about personal stuff, but I feel it in my bones she's still in love with Seulgi. And I know she's still waiting. For what, I'm not sure. But I can't blame her. Because I know how it feels to wait for something that might not even come. 

 

Or in my case, something that might not even come back.

 

I let my feet drag me down the quiet sidewalks of Han river. Tugging on my cap to better conceal my face, I stopped by a spot and looks up at the distant horizon. Just in time for the sunset.

 

To breathe some fresh air, and watch the sunset, was what I told them when they asked why the hell I want to be dropped off at the Han river.

 

But, was it really that?

 

Am I really here for the air, and for the sunset, and for some good walk?

 

Or am I still hoping for something that might not happen?

 

Still waiting for someone that might not come back?

 

, I don't know.

 

I don't why I still come here. I always come here. Still hoping that one day, just maybe one day, a flying plastic bottle will hit me on the head once again. And that pink smoke and glitter dusts and sparkles will come out of the bottle once again. 

 

And someone will come out of the bottle...once again.

 

I still hope, and I still wait...for Jennie to come back.

 

And it's tiring sometimes.

 

Because I know she won't. Heck, she's probably in a different universe now. Probably granting another person's wishes. And maybe I won't really see her anymore.

 

But if there's just one more thing I wanted to wish...I wish she meets someone who would free her from the curse. It doesn't matter if I don't see her again. I just want her to be free, and to live the kind of life that she deserves.

 

Something that I failed to give her.

 

I fished out my phone from my pocket and opened the screen. My wallpaper greeted me. It was Jennie's first ever picture that I took when we were at the dumpling store. She was smiling brightly with a piece of dumpling beside her cheek.

 

I remembered we were supposed to make the photo "tangible" so she can bring it with her when she comes back. But we never got to do that. Everything was so sudden, I haven't even had the chance to say a proper goodbye.

 

Wherever you are now, Jen, I hope you know that I still think of you. I never stopped. I don't think I'll ever stop. And you will always own my heart.

 

The sun slowly disappeared before my very eyes, and the sky was a dark shade now. I'll just wait for the moon to come up, then I'll go home. I promised not to take too long, afterall.

 

I was staring ahead at the river when I heard some laughing teenagers approaching. I subtly adjusted the cap that I was wearing and looked down.

 

My manager will kill me if people see me wandering around just a day before our debut stage. I don't even have someone with me, I swear to god if people notice me, I'm a dead meat.

 

I felt the group of teenagers pass behind my back, and I was silently praying they pass through without noticing me. I caught a little of what they're talking about, and knew that they're kpop fans.

 

Sweet jesus, they better not look at my direction.

 

Seconds passed and I heard their voices growing distant. They've finally walked away. I let out the breath that I was holding and was about to take a step away from the place, when I felt something hit my head.

 

I heard the thing landed on the ground, and by the sound of it, I guess it was a plastic bottle.

 

Dang, did those teenagers recognize me?? Did they realize who I am?? Why hit me with a bottle, though?? That's pretty rude!

 

My blood boiled and I absentmindedly clenched my fist, but I managed to hold my composure. If I confront them now, that'll just further reveal my identity. So I held back and took a deep breath, refraining myself from turning around.

 

There there, Rosie, just let them be. Kids can be rebellious sometimes.

 

I was about to continue stepping away from the place, when I felt a soft tap on my back.

 

Goodness, what do they want from me?! My manager will really kill me at this point!

 

I was internally panicking and I do not know whether to turn around or just run away. I aced a marathon back in highschool so I'm pretty much a runner, but that'll just make me more suspicious. But if I turn around and face them, that'll confirm my identity.

 

What do I do, jolly old Saint Nicholas, I call for your help again!

 

"Rosie?", a voice called my name.

 

What— how did they know my nickname??! Wait—

 

I froze on my ground when I realized something.

 

This voice.

 

I know this voice.

 

I know this voice very well.

 

But...there's no way it could be—

 

"Rosie, is that you?", the person spoke again.

 

I held my breath and my heart started pounding really hard.

 

This voice...

 

I could recognize this voice in a place full of noises.

 

But...how—

 

I slowly move my body to turn around. I was trembling. I was nervous. I was panicking. I was feeling all the emotions I felt a year ago.

 

God...

 

I finally managed to turn around after what felt like years, and a tear instantly escaped my eyes at the sight.

 

My heart clenches, and my mind was in haywire, I feel like I'm going mad.

 

Because standing right infront of me...is Jennie.

 

I try to rub my eyes a few times thinking that my vision was just playing a trick on me. Maybe I was just seeing things. Maybe because I'm missing her too much that I'm visualizing her now.

 

So, I rub my eyes, hard. But when I looked back up, I still see her face.

 

I see Jennie...looking back at me...with a smile on her face.

 

"It's really you, Rosie", she said softly.

 

I couldn't form a coherent sentence to say. 

 

Jennie. My Jennie. 

 

She's here. She's back. And still as beautiful as when I last saw her.

 

"I know there's a lot going on your mind right now, but let me just—"

 

I didn't let her finish what she was supposed to say and I jumped right there and then in her arms.

 

God, it's been so long.

 

I don't care anymore if people see me now. I don't care if people recognize me and take pictures of me and leak them in social media.

 

At this moment, I could care less about anything that is not Jennie.

 

So, I just hugged her.

 

I hug her while I sob against her shoulder.  And she lets me. Running a hand across my back, she lets me let it all out.

 

She still feels the same. After a long whole year, holding her still feels the same.

 

"Did you miss me that much, Rosie?", she asks softly in my ear, and I could only nod in response.

 

You have no idea.

 

We pulled back after a little while, and I immediately missed the warmth. She inches closer to scan my face, her forehead furrowing in concern.

 

"You lost weight, Rosie", she said, "I already know the drill, but it still surprised me seeing you look a little different now than a while ago."

 

It was my turn to crease my forehead in bafflement, "A-A while ago?"

 

She nodded, "How long has it been for you since I left?"

 

"It's been a year", I answered.

 

Jennie smiled at me and said, "Well, it's only been thirty minutes for me."

 

"What??"

 

"Yeah, times works differently when I'm in other universes", she explained, "So, everything that has happened to us, a year ago for you...was only thirty minutes ago for me. Still fresh."

 

I parted my lips in utter surprise, but no words came out of it. Everything is too much to take in.

 

"How's Lisa?", she asks again, "How's everyone?"

 

"W-Well, Lisa's doing good. She's in college", I gave her a small smile, "And everyone, well...our group's actually debuting tomorrow."

 

Her face lit up at that, "Really? Wow, congratulations, Rosie! You'll finally become a celebrity!"

 

I scratch the back of my neck with a chuckle, and muttered a small thank you.

 

"Um, Jen..."

 

"You're probably wondering why and how I came back?", she beat me to it.

 

I slowly nodded my head, not taking my eyes off of her, for I fear that if I look away for a second, she'll be gone again.

 

"Did someone from this universe find you?", I asked, not wanting to get my hopes up.

 

She told me before how being a genie works. They jump from container to container, universe to universe. So, there's no way she'd be back just...for me...right?

 

But she shook her head and curls her lips in a simper, "No. Actually...could you guess what was the first thing I saw when I went back there?"

 

"Um...galaxies?", I hesitated, "You told me you always see galaxies."

 

She lets out a small chuckle, "Yes, that too. But more importantly, I met the supreme being."

 

I was taken aback by that. Her stories from a year ago came back to my mind all at once, and my heart started pounding again.

 

This time, it was pounding in hope.

 

"He told me that after all these lifetimes, I finally fulfilled the condition to break the curse", she said.

 

I feel like tearing up, god do I still have water in my body?

 

"S-So, you're...", I swallowed an invisible lump in my throat, "Y-You're finally free?"

 

I saw tears fell down her cheek as she bobs her head in a nod and answered, "Yes. I'm finally free."

 

"Jen..."

 

This rollercoaster ride of emotion really is...I don't know, man. But I'm happy now. Whoever was out there who heard my wish, I thank you. I thank all the heavens.

 

Jennie's free. Finally. She could live like a normal person. She's free.

 

"I was finally free from the curse...and it's all because of you, Rosie."

 

Her words surprised me and I gave her a questioning look, "Me? What did I...do?"

 

"The supreme being told me, that the only way to break the curse, is if there is someone who would use all their wishes for the benefit of other people, and not for themselves."

 

I fell speechless.

 

Man, I...

 

I did it.

 

All those ing months, I've beaten myself up for not being able to save Jennie.

 

But, I...did.

 

"After all these lifetimes, you were the only good person who never wished for themselves", Jennie continued, smiling through her little tears, "And I'll forever thank you for that, Rosie. You saved my life. I don't even know how to repay you."

 

"You don't have to", I replied, lifting a hand to gently wipe her tears, "Just knowing that you are finally free, is enough for me."

 

"You are everything good in this world."

 

"I'm still crackhead Rosie."

 

She lets out a small laugh.

 

"I still can't believe you're back. You're here. You're with me."

 

"You know, it's really weird hearing that when I've been gone for only thirty minutes."

 

"So you're not Jennie the genie anymore?"

 

"I am no longer Jennie the genie. But I'm still so pretty. And I hope I still make you all giddy."

 

We both crack up at her remark.

 

God do I miss her so much.

 

"You do. And you made my wish come true in a hurry."

 

I kept my eyes on her, totally forgetting now that I was supposed to cover up myself and be back at the dorm before dinner.

 

That could wait.

 

Especially now that everything I've been waiting for is finally here. 

 

"Um, I have a problem, though", Jennie asked after a while.

 

"Hm? What is?"

 

"Well, I've got nowhere to go...", she bit on her lip.

 

I shake my head at her, "Jen, you know you can always stay at my place. I mean, well right now I'm staying at our dorm. But you can stay at my old apartment."

 

She seemed hesitant and pursed her lips, "I, um...would that be okay with you? I mean, you know, one year is a long time. And maybe things have changed, and maybe you're, um..."

 

"I'm what, Jen?"

 

"You're, well, um..."

 

"Eh??"

 

"Maybe you're already committed?"

 

I had to bite the insides of my cheeks to prevent myself from laughing at her cuteness.

 

This dumpling really thinks I'm in a relationship when I waited a whole damn year for her??

 

"Jennie...you are so cute."

 

She blinks rapidly at me, confused.

 

See??! Cute!!

 

"What—"

 

"I'm not in a relationship, if that's what you're thinking."

 

"Oh."

 

I tuck my hands inside my pockets and turn to kick some invisible stones on the ground, "Do you still...like me, though?"

 

Jennie rolled her eyes and makes a 'pfft' sound, "Roseanne, it's literally been thirty minutes for me. Do you think feelings will change that suddenly?"

 

I turned to face her, a stupid smile playing on my lips, "So, you still like me?"

 

"God, you're annoying", she bites back a smile, "But, yes, if it's not obvious enough, yes. I still like you, dummy."

 

My smile grew wider, and I literally did a small dance in the empty sidewalks of Han river. I guess this place is truly magical.

 

"Jennie the genie..."

 

"I'm not a genie anymore!"

 

"Jennie the baby, then...", I said, stepping close to her.

 

Under the moonlight and the sky of a billion stars, her light shines the brightest tonight.

 

"Thank you for making my wish come true", I held her hand and put it right over my heart, "And I am so in love with you."

 

And what's a more magical way to seal a magical feeling than a magical kiss?

 

So I did.

 

I kissed her like I've never kissed her before.

 

In this magical place, with her magical lips.

 

I kissed her.

 

Jennie.

 

I love her.

 

~•~

 

Our debut was successful, and everyone came cheering for us. Dang, I didn't know we have a lot of fans already. I guess I ain't loser Roseanne anymore, huh.

 

The staffs and our managers congratulated us and prepared a little surprise celebration for our success. Of course, my bestest bestfriend Lisa was there, too. Though she kept on hitting on Irene most of the time.

 

My baby dumpling JenJen was there, too, of course. It was a relief that we managed to come up with an alibi about her disappearance and reappearance, so explaining it to everyone went surprisingly smooth.

 

Everything was going well for all of us. I hope this is the start of a new beginning ahead of us.

 

But before I become occupied with idol work, I'll make sure to spend some quality 'lovey-dovey' time with Jennie first because she loves my kisses.

 

Yes. Roseanne Park, the luckiest person in the universe.

 

~•~

 

People wish everyday. Some wish for material things. Some wish for love. And some just wish for happiness.

 

Some said wishes are only granted in fairytales.

 

But for me, wishes are more than just a way of letting the universe know what we want.

 

It's a hope that, one day, at the right place and at the right time, everything will fall into places, and we will have the things that we truly deserve.

 

Mine has already been granted. I hope yours, too.

 

And you know what?

 

Jennie is a beautiful proof that wishes do come true.

 

 

Fin.

 

~•~

 

 

Yaaay! This was a short one, but took me five months to finish!

 

But I hope ya'll liked this story. This holds a very special place in my heart.

 

Aaaand! Next story will be a Chaelisa one!

 

See you real soon!

 

Thank ya'll! ❤️