Last Wish

Message In A Bottle

It was a good weekend, and I was planning to stay in bed and laze around the whole day because I thought, hey, don't I deserve some nice day off after a week of bloody training? 

 

So, yeah, I've already planned in my head how I'm going to stay in bed the whole day, and no one can make me leave this bed even if hurricane hits me now.

 

Guess I spoke too soon, though, because it's not even noon yet when hurricane Lalisa Manoban came barging in and kicked me out of my apartment.

 

"I'm going to adopt a new kitten and you're gonna help me pick", she said while pushing me out of my room.

 

I held onto the door frame for dear life, "Why would I need to pick a cat for you?? And why are you adopting another cat?? Lalisa, you already have four!"

 

"I want five cats!"

 

"When you brought Louis, you said you're gonna stop at that!"

 

"But I want five cats now!"

 

"I wanna sleep!"

 

"Rosieee!"

 

"Yah, Lisaaa!"

 

I felt a push on the back of my knees, and Lisa and I both stumbled on the floor.

 

"Are you two gonna get out or you want me to drag you down the stairs?", Jennie deadpanned, both hands propped on her hips. 

 

I see the come back of violent Jennie the genie.

 

"Wait, isn't Jennie gonna come with us?", I asked Lisa while helping us back on our feet.

 

"It's too cold outside. You two go freeze together, I'm staying here", the genie answered the question then proceeded to plop down the comfort of my couch.

 

"Exactly!", I pointed a finger at my bestfriend, "It's freezing cold outside and you're dragging me out of the warmth of my bed just to help you pick a cat?!"

 

Lisa casually takes a coat off of the rack and drapes it around me, "It's not even that cold, you're exaggerating. And besides, it's been ages since we last hangout. Come on, Rosie, don't be a bum."

 

I heaved out an exasperated sigh when she started putting my shoes on my feet.

 

My bestfriend is so persistent in dragging me out she even put on my shoes for me. How convenient.

 

"Okay, fine! But you're gonna pay for everything I'd want to eat."

 

"Anything for you, dearest Rosie."

 

I huff as a response and Lisa just chuckled.

 

So much for my hard-earned rest. 

 

I turned to Jennie with concerned eyes, "Will you be okay here alone, Jen?"

 

She playfully rolls her eyes but smiled nonetheless, "Please, Rosie. You sound like you'll be gone for years."

 

"Dude, we're just picking up a cat. We're not enlisting for military", Lisa butted in and mock laughs.

 

I glared at them both. Such friends.

 

"Alright, let's go let's go! See you later, Jen!", my best friend announced while pushing me to the front door.

 

I'm not sure if it's just because of drowsiness, but I swear I saw Lisa tossed a wink at Jennie, and Jennie smiled in response.

 

Wait, are they flirting??!

 

My bestfriend and my genie friend??!

 

Are they having an affair??!

 

That's...impossible. There's no way.

 

We drove to the pet center with thoughts in my head. I don't want to think much about it, but dude I can't. I've come to realize my feelings for Jennie just last week.

 

My feelings...for Jennie.

 

I mean, yeah, there's no point in denying it. I know what I'm feeling. I feel happy when I'm with her. I love seeing her face. I smile like a fool whenever she'd call me 'Rosie Posie', and whenever she would puff her dumpling cheeks in response to my teases. 

 

I like her.

 

And it scares me.

 

Because I know this is temporary.

 

She is temporary.

 

~•~

 

"What do you mean you can't pick a cat??!"

 

I grabbed Lisa's shoulders and shook them dramatically.

 

We spent more than two hours meow-ing back at the cats in the pet center, and then she's gonna tell me she's not gonna adopt anymore because she can't choose?!

 

"Well, I...I can't feel any sort of connection with them", Lisa casually said, shrugging.

 

I shook her harder, "You woke me up and dragged me out of my bed for this! You better pick one or else you're not gonna see your four cats when you get home!"

 

"Woah there, don't watch too much violent movies, Rosie. They're getting on you", she playfully ruffles my hair like what she does to her cats, "Let's just go to the mall, yeah? It's still early anyway."

 

"What, I—"

 

"I'm craving for pizza. Let's get pizza!"

 

And hurricane Lisa Manoban started dragging me again.

 

"Yah, can't I just sleep peacefully in my bed??! Lalisaaa!"

 

"And ice cream, too! We'll get ice cream, too! You love ice cream, don't you?", she kept on blabbering while pulling me along.

 

I am so close to beating up my bestfriend, someone please stop me.

 

It was late afternoon when I noticed something, though.

 

Lisa's been acting really weird since we left my apartment. She kept on checking her watch, and whenever I would tell her I wanna go home already, she would drag me anywhere just to prolong our hangout. It was like she didn't want me to go home just yet.

 

Oookay, something's really fishy here.

 

First, Jennie and Lisa were winking at each other, then Lisa's acting really weird as if she's hiding something.

 

Gasp.

 

Are they really having an affair behind my back??!

 

But I thought Lisa thought I'm with Jennie? I mean, she's pretty much rooting for us, right? Then why would she—

 

"Roseanne Park, would you mind opening the door of your apartment or you want us to freeze to death?", Lisa's remark snapped me off of my trance.

 

I was in too deep with my thoughts that I hadn't realize we're already back at my apartment. I spared my bestfriend a glance, the idea of her hiding something from me still linger in my head.

 

Nonetheless, I took my key from my purse and push the door open.

 

"What the— why is it dark?", I blurted in bafflement, "And where is Jennie?"

 

I took cautious steps further inside, failing to notice Lisa's lack of reaction. And when I was about to turn around to ask again, the lights flickered on, much to my surprise.

 

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..."

 

I tell you I ain't a dramatic person, but my eyes well up with tears upon realizing what's happening.

 

Jennie started walking up to me holding a medium-sized strawberry shortcake, while Lisa was clapping in the tune like an idiot, big smiles visible on their faces.

 

"Happy birthday, dear Rosie..."

 

I tried to fight back my tears by playfully swatting them away, but their chuckles just made my eyes well up even more.

 

"Happy birthday to you!"

 

"Blow your candle, Rosie!", Jennie handed me the cake, her eyes disappearing from smiling too wide.

 

I complied by closing my eyes for a brief moment, before blowing out the candle.

 

"Yeeeeey!"

 

The two girls tackled me in a hug, and I had to lift the cake so they wouldn't crush it.

 

"Yah, you guys, thank you", I pursed my lip in a small pout, "When did you two plan this??"

 

Lisa bubbles in a laugh, "Just yesterday. Jen and I planned this secretly while you're in training."

 

"You, foxy!", I lightly bump her head, "Is this why you two were winking at each other earlier??"

 

So I just worried for nothing??! Man, Roseanne, learn to control your jealous self next time, geez.

 

"Ha! You thought I stole your girlfriend, didn't you?", my bestfriend hooks an arm around my neck, "Your jealousy was radiating when we were in the pet center, y'know?"

 

"I— what jealousy— you!"

 

I aimed the cake at her, but a hand grabbed my arm.

 

"Yah, I worked hard baking that cake, Rosie!!", Jennie whines beside me.

 

I took a glance at the cake, then at her, "Y-You baked this...for me?"

 

The genie nodded wearing that signature pout that makes you go all 'uwu'. 

 

Now why'd she have to be adorable like this?!

 

"I told her we could just buy from the bakeshop, but your girlfriend here insisted on making the cake by herself", Lisa explained, grinning, "She also did all the cooking, so I had to drag you outside so she could work on it."

 

"C-Cooking?"

 

They both pointed their lips behind me, and I turned around in curiosity. A small gasp escaped my lips when I saw the feast they prepared. Letter balloons that read 'Happy Birthday Rosie' was pinned creatively on the wall.

 

"Y-You...did all of this, Jen?", I asked, my once again glistening eyes fell on the cake between my hands and I swear I have never been this emotional over a cake before.

 

"Of course, duh, who else?", she answered, but there's a warm smile on her face, "Now, stand by the wall decoration. I'll take a picture of you."

 

She, then, snatches my phone from the pocket of my coat, and I could only strike a pose still holding the cake when she started capturing photos.

 

She even knows how to take pictures using my phone now.

 

"There there, you look cute here, Rosie", she softly giggled to herself while scanning the photos she took.

 

"Alright, group picture now!", Lisa hollered and they joined me in the frame, Jennie's still the one clicking the shutter.

 

I smiled at the sight and my eyes linger on her longer than necessary, "Thank you, Jen."

 

Jennie made me a birthday cake. Jennie cooked me a birthday dinner. Jennie made all of this for me.

 

I guess the person who invented the phrase 'my heart is full' wasn't exaggerating at all. Because that is the only way I could describe what I am feeling at the moment.

 

My heart is full.

 

"Hey, I have a huge participation on this, too", Lisa playfully complains while walking towards the dining, "I taught Jennie, y'know?"

 

I heard Jennie let out a snicker with my bestfriend's remark.

 

"You taught her how to cook?", I raised a brow.

 

My bestfriend suppresses a laugh and said, "I taught her how to watch YouTube tutorials."

 

We all burst in laughter before Jennie and I joined Lisa in the dining.

 

I subtly turned to Jennie and gave her a thankful, appreciative smile. She reciprocated it by shooting arrow hearts at me.

 

Pfft. Where did badass Jennie the genie even go? All I can see is Jennie the softie baby.

 

"Can you two do the flirting later? Jennie's cooking looks so good I'm starving, come on let's eat!

 

We could only chuckle at Lisa's sentiments and started digging on the best dinner I have ever had.

 

The celebration may be simple. But Jennie and Lisa made this birthday really special. And I couldn't be any more thankful for having them around.

 

~•~

 

"That is not Orion, Rosie! I've been watching constellations my whole lifetime, I swear that one's not Orion", Jennie insisted while pointing at the distant sky.

 

"Then what is that? Cassiopeia maybe?", I asked.

 

"Ursa Major I guess. I can trace the Big Dipper from here."

 

The evening falls and Jennie and I sat on the floor of my dim-lighted room just behind the large glass window. I didn't know whose idea it was to stargaze, but we just found ourselves seated next to each other, staring up at the cluster of stars in the sky.

 

Lisa left right after our little celebration so we're once again alone on our own.

 

"I cannot see the dipper", I commented while scratching the back of my neck.

 

"Upper left, Rosie. Look carefully."

 

"There's just an overly bright star right there. I can't see the dipper."

 

"Are you blind??"

 

"I have a 20/20 vision, mind you!"

 

We both turned our heads to each other, and bubble in a laugh. This is one thing we had grown to do whenever we fall into some stupid banter. Jennie's savageness and my stubbornness could be a really fun match at times.

 

I adjusted on my seat a little so I could take a look at her face, "Hey, Jen?"

 

She hums as a response.

 

"Have I thanked you yet?"

 

She lets out a soft chuckle and playfully pokes my cheek, "A hundred times this night, I guess."

 

"I feel like I haven't thanked you enough."

 

"Rosie, I just cooked dinner and baked a cake. You don't have to thank me every 5 minutes."

 

It was my turn to chuckle, "But I really appreciate the effort. You know, I've almost forgotten that it's my birthday today."

 

"Yeah, I figured when you told me you'll be sleeping like a log the whole day."

 

"Thank you, Jen."

 

"Shut up, Rosie."

 

We shared a smile and bask in the comfortable silence that engulfed us after. The moonlight illuminating through the window creates a dreamy atmosphere.

 

"I'm also thankful that you're here", I said after a little while, "Things get hard sometimes, and I just realized how nice it is to have someone around."

 

I'm thankful. I really am. Jennie may be a savage genie, but she has this way of making you feel like you're not alone. I'm not sure if it's because of her warm gummy smiles, or her big bear hugs, or her stupid daddy jokes, or all of the above. But she does make everything feel more like home.

 

And I'll be damned to say that I'm slowly getting used to it.

 

"Rosie, is it your emotional time of the month?", she asked, bringing her face closer to inspect if there are tears in my eyes.

 

I could only chuckle. Maybe this whole birthday thingy's making me real emotional right now.

 

Dang, crackhead Roseanne has an emotional side too, huh.

 

"I'm just really touched, I guess."

 

I let my eyes linger a little longer at Jennie's face, scanning each and every outline of her beauty.

 

She's really beautiful. Inside and out. 

 

And I wonder if she could feel the irregular beating of my heart right now.

 

I wonder if she feels the same way I do.

 

"You are special to me, Rosie. You're not just another master whom I'll grant wishes of then leave", she said, staring back into my eyes with the sincerest smile I have ever seen, "You are someone I would cherish and remember for my eternal lifetime."

 

How does she do it?

 

How does she make this rollercoaster feeling in my stomach?

 

These little skips inside my chest.

 

Does she feel it too?

 

There's just one risky way to find out, right?

 

Maybe I wasn't thinking straight. I'm not even straight to begin with. Maybe I wasn't thinking anymore. All I know, all I see, all I can think about is Jennie.

 

So, maybe I'll just follow my raging senses and risk everything tonight.

 

I scoot closer and slowly bring a hand to cup her cheek. Jennie seems surprised, but she doesn't pull back. She just stares at my eyes which were now staring at her lips.

 

God knows how many days I spent wondering how those lips would feel against mine.

 

I look back up at her, and before I could even say anything, I felt her head bob in a soft nod. That is it. I got my approval.

 

So, I slowly bring my face close to hers, closing whatever gap we have between us. And each second I'm closer, I feel my heart pounding louder against my chest.

 

My heart...is full.

 

It sure is.

 

Full of Jennie.

 

My eyes fluttered close when I finally press my trembling lips against her own. They were soft. And sweet. And I wanted to feel more of her so I started moving as gently as I can.

 

It all feels surreal. But I'm really kissing her. I'm kissing Jennie. And by the moment she wraps her arms around my neck and further deepens the kiss, I knew I'd gladly trade everything I have for her.

 

I don't want this to be temporary.

 

I don't want her to be temporary.

 

And I've never been this certain before. So I've decided.

 

My last wish will be for Jennie.

 

To free her from the curse and grant her wish of loving freely.

 

~•~

 

"Don't let go, Rosieee!"

 

"I won't! I'm holding on it, I got you."

 

"I swear if you let go!!"

 

I slightly threw my head back as I burst in laughter. I didn't know this savage little genie doesn't know how to ride a bike. So, when the next weekend came, I brought her to the park to teach her.

 

"There there, I told you you can do it", I encouraged her while slowly letting go of the back of the bike she's riding.

 

"You're still holding it, right??", she asks suspiciously.

 

I could only suppress a laugh when my hands fully let go of the bike, and she's now maneuvering on her own.

 

"Yes, of course, I'm still holding it!", I lied.

 

Jogging a little to keep up with her pace, I smiled to myself proudly. Little Jennie knows how to ride a bike now, though still a bit wobbly.

 

She takes a quick glance behind and whined when she realized I wasn't holding her anymore.

 

"Yaaah, Rosieee!! I told you not to let go of meee!", she blurted before slowly halting her bike.

 

I let out the laughter I was holding and catch up to her only to be met with her soft attacks.

 

"Yah, you violent dumpling", I said while dodging her advances, still cackling, "You can drive on your own now, though."

 

"You said you won't let go of me, you traitor!"

 

Jennie jumps off of the bike so she could hit me more. She's much more annoyed that I'm laughing hard. So, I gently held her arms to stop her and smoothly wrap them around my waist. She's taken aback by my action and I took that opportunity to engulf her in a hug.

 

"I won't let go of you, Jen", I mumble against her hair.

 

And she softens by the realization that I was no longer talking about the bike. So, she buries her face on the crook of my neck and tightens her hug on me.

 

Holding her like this feels so right. And I'm not planning to ever let her go.

 

"You're sweaty, you know", she said after a little while.

 

We pulled back both wearing a stupid smile on our faces.

 

"Do you want to race?", I asked her with a wink, before jogging to pick up my bike.

 

"What race— you're supposed to teach me!"

 

"You're good now. You can even do the turns."

 

"I'm still wobbling!"

 

"First to reach home gets an ice cream!"

 

"Yah, Rosieee!"

 

"Ready!", I wiggled in my bike.

 

Jennie could only break into a fit of laughter upon seeing my silly gestures, "If I fall on the ground, I'm really suing you!"

 

"Set!"

 

"Roseanne Paaark!"

 

I could've made my wish when we got home that night, but Jennie was completely exhausted from all the biking, she was knocked out the moment she reached the couch.

 

Sleepyhead as always.

 

That night, I stayed by her side and watched her sleep while running my fingers through her hair.

 

I'll do it tomorrow. First thing in the morning. 

 

I'll make my last wish.

 

Nothing could've prepared me for what would happen the next morning, though.

 

Jennie and I woke up with a start when my phone started ringing impatiently. Half-awake, I reach for it blindly and accepted the call without bothering to look at the caller ID.

 

"Hello?", I sleepily asked.

 

I do not recognize the voice on the other line but her tone was serious and in haste. I had to blink away all my sleepiness and sat up so I could focus on what she was saying.

 

"I'm sorry, what is it again?"

 

By now, Jennie's also wide awake and is staring at me expectantly.

 

I stared back at her as my face stiffens in utter shock. My hand started trembling that my phone almost slipped out from my hold. I could barely hear whatever the woman on the other line was still saying, my mind was all over the place.

 

Jennie started panicking upon seeing my reaction, she held my shoulders and asked me what the problem is.

 

But I was already in tears and I could only say one word.

 

"Lisa..."

 

~•~

 

Jennie and I rushed to the hospital after the phone call with the nurse who called me. She said Lisa got into a car accident while she was on her way to my apartment to pick me up for training. They had retrieve her phone, and the nurse said I was the last person Lisa dialled so they decided to call me. They've also called her parents so they should be here soon.

 

My body was trembling and I was a crying mess when we reached the Emergency Room. 

 

God, why must this happen to Lisa? She's too young for this, please don't do this to her.

 

"We're trying our best to revive her. But right now, she's in a critical condition. She suffered from serious brain hemorrhage. I'm afraid even if she survives this, she'll fall into a coma and we cannot guarantee you she'd ever wake up."

 

I fell on my knees when the doctor went back inside the Emergency Room. Jennie held me and tried to comfort me by rubbing circles on my back.

 

"Rosie...", she softly said, her voice cracking in tears.

 

"She's the only family I have, Jen. She's been with me since my parents died. I wouldn't have made it without Lisa", I managed to speak with quivering voice, "She doesn't deserve this. She doesn't deserve to leave this soon, Jen."

 

"Lisa's a strong woman, Rosie. I'm sure she's fighting inside that room. And knowing her, I'm sure she'll survive."

 

"But we both heard what the doctor said. Even if she survives this, she'll just fall into a coma", I wipe another tear off of my face, "I couldn't afford to lose another family, Jen. I can't take that."

 

I felt Jennie shifted on her seat to face me and held my hand tight.

 

"You can use your last wish on her, Rosie", she suggested.

 

My head snapped to face her, and never have I been this tormented.

 

"Jen..."

 

"She's not gone yet, Rosie. I can still save her. Just make your wish."

 

Tears helplessly streamed down my face, and my sobs were audible now. I can feel my heart breaking inside my chest, god does it hurts so bad.

 

Why must I have to choose between two lives? What did I ever do in my past life to deserve this?

 

"Time's running, Rosie", her hands are cupping my cheeks now, trying to wipe the endless tears, "You know what to do."

 

I don't. God, I don't.

 

I can't ing lose anyone. I can't ing let anyone go.

 

We heard panicked movements from the Emergency Room and we knew the situation is getting worse. We know we're about to lose Lisa.

 

I looked up at Jennie and she gave me a reassuring nod. Like she knows I'm troubled. Like she knows I'm battling with myself. She nodded like the most selfless person that she is.

 

But I need to make my decision now.

 

"L-Let's...let's save her, Jen", I choked on my tears.

 

She gave me a small smile, and took a step back from me, "Say the phrases."

 

I bit on my trembling lips before parting them to say the phrases for the last time, "J-Jennie the genie, why are you so pretty, you make me all giddy, make my wish come true in a hurry..."

 

I paused and in a breath.

 

I'm sorry, Jen. I'm sorry.

 

"I wish to save Lisa."

 

Jennie bobs her head in a nod, and twirls her arms in the air like she did the last time.

 

A lone tear escaped her eyes when she said, "Your wish...is my command."

 

Pink smoke and glitter dusts and sparkles filled the air. Time seems to have stopped for a moment. And then everything went about.

 

The doctor stepped out of the room, and we scrambled on our feet to meet him.

 

"Ms. Park", he was slightly panting, "The operation is successful. Ms. Manoban is now safe and recovering."

 

I heaved out a sigh of relief and thanked him.

 

Lisa's safe. She's now safe.

 

"This is a miracle", the doctor added before excusing himself and went back inside.

 

I felt a hand on my back, and I turned around to see Jennie smiling at me.

 

"You saved her, Rosie."

 

I nodded and reciprocated the smile that she was giving me, albeit it was a sad one, "Thank you, Jen."

 

I saved Lisa.

 

I saved my bestfriend.

 

But I couldn't save Jennie.

 

I couldn't save the woman I fell in love with.

 

~•~

 

It was a good 30 minutes when Lisa’s parents came, and when we’ve made sure that Lisa’s really safe. I’ve also calmed a little, thanks to Jennie’s comfort. 

 

But I know the tears weren’t over yet.

 

Jennie and I stood side by side, leaning against the guard wall of the hospital’s roofdeck. It’s been minutes now but neither of us is breaking the silence. Neither of us is strong enough to do so.

 

But we both know we have to face it now. Not later, not tomorrow, not the day after tomorrow.

 

We won’t have that anymore.

 

I feel my eyes b with tears when I finally heard her speak.

 

“So...I guess this is it”, she started, “I’ve fulfilled all of your wishes.”

 

I simply nodded my head, refusing to look at her. I can’t.

 

I can’t look at her without feeling my heart shatter into pieces.

 

“It’s time for me to go back”, she added when I didn’t respond.

 

I gripped on the railings a little harder and that’s when I broke down.

 

These stupid tears just won’t stop, huh.

 

“Rosie...”

 

Jennie held my face and makes me look at her. Her eyes were the saddest I’ve ever seen. She’s hurting. We both are.

 

“I’m sorry, Jen”, was what I managed to say.

 

“Why are you apologizing?”

 

I held her hands that were cupping my face and answered, “My last wish...it was supposed to be for you.”

 

She was taken aback. Confusion was written all over her face, though I know she got what I meant.

 

“I was supposed to grant your wish, Jen”, I added, struggling hard as every word I speak breaks into a sob, “I’m sorry...”

 

Jennie gently wipes my tears away, “You don’t have to apologize to me. You did what you had to do.”

 

I shook my head, refusing to accept her forgiveness, “I’m sorry I couldn’t keep my promise. I told you I won’t let you go. Jen, I don’t want to let you go. I can’t.”

 

“You have to, Rosie”, she said with quivering voice, tears started filling her feline eyes, “You have to let me go.”

 

If I could just make one last wish. If the heavens would just give me one last wish...I’d wish for her to stay.

 

“Stay”, I helplessly pleaded.

 

“I can’t.”

 

But this universe is cruel, and life is unfair to those who plead.

 

“You have to go on about your life. And one day, you won’t even notice you’ve forgotten about me”, she forces a smile, trying to wipe the stream of tears on her face, “But I’ll stand by what I told you the night we first kissed. You are someone I would cherish and remember for my eternal lifetime, Roseanne Park.”

 

The pain that I was feeling was too much to take so I jump in her arms and embraced her as tight as I could, hoping that it could ease at least a bit of agony in my heart.

 

If I had known that this will be the last time I’ll see her face, I should’ve stared at her the whole night and memorized her every outline.

 

Jennie pulled back after a little while and took considerable steps away from me, “I need to go now, Rosie.”

 

“Jennie...”, I trail off.

 

I wanted to scream and curse the universe for doing this to us. But I know anything I do wouldn’t matter now.

 

“I guess I can finally have my beauty sleep, huh”, she said, trying to lift up the helpless atmosphere.

 

But I couldn’t find the words to tell her. For there is never a right word to say goodbye.

 

“Can a genie wish, too?”, she spoke and smiled at me for the last time, “I wish to see you in the next lifetime, Rosie.”

 

And then she vanished in the air.

 

Leaving no trace.

 

How sudden she came into my life, was like how sudden she disappeared from it.

 

And just like that...she’s gone.

 

Never to return again.