Second Wish

Message In A Bottle

"Okay, now open your mouth a little wider when hitting the A vowel", the vocal coach instructs while pressing on a piano key.

 

I did what I was told as best as I can without looking like a hungry alligator. Man, vocal trainings are absolute pain in the neck. But I'd rather sit here and scream my throat out than attend the dance practices. I remember limping my way home the first day of training. I couldn't feel my legs and I swear every single bone in my body got dislocated.

 

That also reminds me that it's been a couple days since I started training in YG. Things have been fun so far, except that the mentors were very strict. Especially the dance mentor who reminds me of that terror mentor in a chinese show (I forgot what it's called, I don't watch TV anyway). Man, I'm just realizing how tough idol trainings really are.

 

Gay god, is it too late to back out now??

 

"Okay, you're doing good, Roseanne. Now, try hitting E5 one more time", the coach instructs again, and I prepared my vocal chords for another belt.

 

I pray for you, precious throat.

 

"Rosieee, when are we going home? I'm hungryyy!", a small but loud voice echoed from the waiting couch behind us.

 

Here we go again.

 

I politely excused myself and tipped my head to turn to Jennie who was sprawled on the couch. I still don't understand how YG staffs just let this genie tail me in every training, sometimes wandering around the building like some supervisor wearing a black bucket hat and black glasses.

 

I let her wear those once, just once! And now she's wearing them almost everyday. Other trainees were starting to get intimidated by her, they literally fidget everytime we pass by them. 

 

Now, how can loser Roseanne ever make friends when everyone thinks she's with a grim reaper??

 

"For heaven's sake, Jen, vocal training just started. Just sleep there or whatever!", I yelled back.

 

"But I can't sleep! I'm hungry. Rosieee!", she replied in the most annoying high-pitched tone.

 

I swear to god.

 

You noticed it too, didn't you? Yeah, we're on nickname basis now. And even though she gets annoyed everytime I call her names aside from Jennie the genie (because she thinks it's superior), I insisted on calling her JenJen because she's cute.

 

I mean...IT'S cute. The nickname.

 

Gosh, I should work out on my english.

 

"And you need to make your second wis—"

 

I cut her off by throwing a crumpled paper on her direction.

 

Geez, this woman sure didn't know anything about confidentiality.

 

But yeah, it's also been days since I made my first wish. Jennie's been telling me I just wasted it when I could've wished for something more beneficial. But I got no regrets, y'know? That's a ing life I saved. And it cannot be traded for anything in this world.

 

Faith on humanity restored? Hell, yeah.

 

"Two more hours and we'll go home! Now, be a good kid and shut up."

 

I turned back to my vocal coach and mumbles an apology, but she just shook her head and continues fumbling with the keyboard. Before we could resume the lesson, though, the door of the studio flew open.

 

"I'm sorry I'm late!", the newcomer announced rather excitedly than apologetically.

 

She gave me a cringe-worthy smile that sent shivers in my spine (I don't know, it's weird man), and sat on the empty stool beside mine.

 

"Well, hello to you too, Joy. I'm glad you even remembered we have a lesson today", the coach remarks sarcastically.

 

Speaking of the life I saved, it's her. Park Sooyoung or Joy. It turns out she's a new trainee, too, and the reason she fell off the ledge of YG's new building was because some senior trainees were bullying her and she kind of slipped out of the window. Y'know, those cliché rich kids in town who were always present in fan fictions to spice up the story.

 

But, of course, she didn't know I was the one who saved her. It just surprised me one fateful training session when she joined us that I learned we'll be training together as a team with other new kids as well, namely: Kang Seulgi, the monster dancer and vocalist; Irene, the original visual rapper; and Jeon Somi, the dork all-rounder.

 

They were pretty nice to me, thank good heavens. But this Joy girl...well, she's, um...I don't know but she's been acting really weird around me. Smiling a lot, tucking her hair behind her ear whenever I pass by, and the excessive winking!

 

Like, dude?! What is wrong with her? She got an eye problem or something??

 

"I'm sorry, Miss Lee, got caught up in a prior lesson", Joy told the coach before giving me yet another toe-curling smile, "Hi, Rosie. How's your day? My horoscope says I'll be training with a pretty girl today. I guess horoscopes never lie."

 

"Um..."

 

Why do I always have to be associated with weirdos?? Can't I just have a cool life for once??

 

"Well, my horoscope says I'll have you both hit C6 today. Now, focus!", Ms. Lee scolded in a high-pitched tone I swear she could hit A6 by just talking.

 

And that was basically how another day of training went. With Joy persistently cracking her lame pick-up lines on me, and Jennie yelling "Rosieee I'm hungry!" every now and then. By the time we stepped out of the premises of YG, I could swear my human battery was drained.

 

"I'm too tired to even walk to that dumpling store, Jen", I told the genie beside me as we make our way to her so-called favorite eatery.

 

"Dumplings take human's exhaustion away, did you know that?", she said, a hand clutching at the hem of my shirt.

 

"Where did you even get that idea??"

 

"From experience", she replied while pointing a finger up, "My tiredness goes away whenever I eat dumplings."

 

I snicker, "You said human's exhaustion! How are you a human?"

 

"It also applies to me, dumbo", she rolls her eyes, "Watch those dumplings recharge your energy and don't cry begging for more."

 

"How can I beg when I'm the one who's paying??"

 

Now that I think about it, how come I'm the one who's spending for a genie? Especially THIS GENIE who consumes unbelievably large amount of food for her small body. Last time I checked, I didn't put up a charity. When I go bankrupt, I'm going to sell her on ebay.

 

"Shush! We're here!", Jennie announced before pulling me carelessly inside the store.

 

Man, such a drag.

 

Maybe Jennie wasn't really kidding when she said she was hungry. Even I couldn't photograph the face of the waiter when Jennie said she wanted every variety of dumplings served on our table. I took a subtle peek inside my wallet and felt like breaking down. If the sound of crickets could be an item, it would be my very wallet.

 

Okay, so either I wash all their dishes, or give away my whole allowance for the week— or sell Jennie on ebay. 

 

I'd very much like the latter.

 

"Dumplings are surely a gift from up above. I could eat them all of my lifetime", she commented before stuffing two pieces of dumplings in .

 

I could only stifle a laugh at the sight, "If you choke from dumplings, I ain't paying for your funeral."

 

She tosses me a glare before stuffing another piece, ignoring my remark, "Seriously though, who owns this place? Who cooks all the dumplings here? They should be worshipped."

 

I stifled another laugh at the way her cheeks puff whenever she's munching. Maybe if she's not this cute, I wouldn't have let her empty my wallet. 

 

Wait what— did my brain just call her cute?? Ahh, it's from all the stress. Yes yes.

 

She looks up at me still with her puffed cheeks and cracks a smile.

 

Cute.

 

Dang.

 

"Hey, Rosie, why aren't you eating?", Jennie asked when she realized I only had a sip of water.

 

"I, um..."

 

"Aren't you hungry from all that singing? Here", she takes a piece of dumpling using her own chopsticks before lifting it to my mouth, "Say 'ah'."

 

I blink at her in awkwardness, "Uh, I can eat on my own, y'know—"

 

"Just open your mouth", she commanded in an authoritative tone.

 

I swear to god one moment she's acting all cute, then the next she's scary as hell. Jennie the genie is one heck of a genie.

 

I could only comply and part my lips to let her feed me. Warmth started creeping up my cheeks, I don't even know why! My face seemed red. Why are they red??

 

Do they sell dumplings with alcohol content here??!

 

"There you go. It tasted like heaven, doesn't it?", she cracks another smile, "You should eat more, Rosie. You've been working hard."

 

For the couple days I've been with Jennie, I learned one thing about her: she's actually a sweet girl despite her savageness. And she's pretty innocent about a lot of things. Like when she almost had a heart attack at the 'ding' sound of my bread toaster. She bugged me the whole day asking how on earth did the bread burn without fire.

 

And I think that's...cute.

 

"What? Do I have something on my face? Or do you need another bite?", the genie shot me a look when she noticed I was spacing out just staring at her.

 

Okay, that was embarassing, Roseanne. What ever happened to being cool huh?

 

"I- no no, I can manage", I cleared my throat and picks up a fork before starting to dig in.

 

"Hey, Rosie, what are they doing?", she spoke again after a few minutes, pointing her chopsticks at the two girls sitting near our table.

 

I squinted my eyes at what the girls were doing, then quirks a brow at Jennie, "Uh, they're taking pictures?? Don't tell me you don't know what a camera is??"

 

She tilted her head in visible bafflement, "I've seen cameras in other lifetimes. But they don't look like that."

 

Whenever she talks in public like she's from some far away planet, it makes me want to dig a hole for myself and hide.

 

"They're taking pictures using their phone, Jen", I fished out my phone from my pocket to show her, "Like this one. You use this to communicate. But you could also take pictures with this."

 

Jennie's cat-like eyes went animatedly wide in amazement. And her duality also amazes me.

 

"Can you take a picture of me? I've always wanted to have one", her lips curl into a childish simper it almost made my knees weak.

 

Dang this genie.

 

"I- uh, sure?", I reciprocate the smile and opens the camera app on my phone, "Pose for the camera, JenJen."

 

She pokes a dumpling with her chopsticks and brings it beside her cheek before cracking a gummy smile, her eyes disappearing into crescents as she does.

 

The moment I clicked the shutter, I felt something inside me clicked as well.

 

"Let me see!", Jennie reaches for my phone and her smile grew even wider seeing her picture, "This is my first photo."

 

But I was busy trying to calm the pounding in my chest.

 

The was that, Roseanne?! You having a heart attack there?? It was nothing, okay?? You're cool. You're cool.

 

Jennie hands me back my phone and I tried to play it cool by making fun of her cheeks, "Hah, look! Can you tell which one is the dumpling here?"

 

"I—"

 

"Your cheeks are so puffy they look like dumplings", I zoomed in her cheeks and bubble in a chuckle, "Mandu JenJen."

 

"My cheeks are not puffy, what are you saying", she throws an unused straw at me before going back to devouring the food, "Can you make that tangible?"

 

"Hm?"

 

"My photo? Can you make it tangible so I can bring it when I go back?"

 

"Oohh, you were asking if I can print it??"

 

Man, Jennie really talks so out of this universe.

 

"Um, sure. We can drop by the photo store tomorrow after training", I nodded, "Are you allowed to bring something from this world, though?"

 

She lifts her chin in thought, "I'm not sure. I haven't done it before. But I could try."

 

"I just know you'd bring dumplings with you as well."

 

"If I could, I would", she heaves out a sigh before pointing her chopstick at me, "That reminds me, when are you gonna make your remaining wishes so I can go back already??"

 

Oh.

 

Honestly, I've been thinking haaard, like really hard! I've used my first wish on someone else, so I gotta make sure of my two remaining wishes. I'm actually contemplating whether to just wish for an extreme amount of money, or instantly become a famous idol, or become the president of South Korea, or become the queen of the world—

 

Wait, that actually sounds promising...

 

But, do you see the point? I can't ing choose, I've got way too many wishes on my mind. And I need to be careful not to waste them now.

 

"Uh, can you give me more time?", I told her, "I'm really really thinking, okay? I gotta choose wisely."

 

"I can give you some suggestions."

 

"Oh, yeah? I'm all ears."

 

She took a sip from her glass before straightening on her seat, grinning as she does, "Well, I once had a master who wanted to be mythical. Like, legendary. Then I suggested to make him a unicorn."

 

"What the ? Do unicorns even exist?? They're not real!"

 

"Would you have imagined a genie is real if you didn't meet me?"

 

I bit on my lip, "I— um, you have a point. But still!"

 

"Well, that's what he told me, too. He even insulted my capabilities of being a genie. He said there was no way I could do it."

 

"And then?"

 

"And then I only told him three words."

 

My lips tug up in a smirk, "I'm guessing..."

 

"Hold my beer."

 

We shared a laugh at that.

 

"And then you turned him into a unicorn?", I asked, mindlessly leaning over the table.

 

"I made him say the phrases first, and then I turned him into a unicorn", she replied, still laughing, "I hope he's now happy puking rainbows everywhere."

 

"Man, you're savage."

 

"There are a lot more ridiculous wishes I've granted. Want to hear some?"

 

"Hell, yeah."

 

Jennie spent the rest of the dinner sharing stories about wishes she has granted, and I spent the rest of the dinner listening and laughing with her. This genie is effortlessly funny, she's got some good humor in her bones. She told me how skies are normally pink in other lifetimes, and how mountains were turned upside down, like, that's so weird and cool at the same time.

 

But the way Jennie animatedly described them made it much more amusing. Who would've thought I'd ever sit down with a genie and listen to her talk about things deemed non-existent and impossible in my world?

 

Also, one more thing I learned about Jennie is that, she really, like reaaally loves her sleep. Because by the time we finished eating and after I walk back from the counter to pay for our bill, she was knocked out on the table.

 

She could literally sleep wherever and whenever sleep visits her. And here I first thought she's a badass genie, when she's actually just a baby.

 

I smiled to myself while shaking my head. You cannot wake up sleeping Jennie when she's deep in her sleep. I learned it the hard way when I tried waking her up once and I almost got my nose broken.

 

Guess I have no choice.

 

I crouched down and carefully places her weight on my back.

 

Man, this is indeed such a drag.

 

I led us out of the dumpling store and onto the busy streets of Hongdae all the while giving out awkward smiles to people  who were glancing at us.

 

Goodness gracious, this genie's really knocked out she's not moving even a bit on my back.

 

We were nearing my apartment when I noticed something surprising, though.

 

I spent all day breaking my muscles in training, and now I even had to piggyback this genie. Yet, I wasn't exhausted. Well, at least not anymore.

 

Maybe Jennie's right. Maybe dumplings really take people's tiredness away.

 

I'm just not sure which dumpling eased mine.

 

~•~

 

"Bend your knees a little lower while moving your hips, Rosie", Seulgi, my teammate, instructed while showing me the right moves for the dance we're practicing.

 

"Uh, like this?", I tried copying her body movement hoping I don't look like I'm having a seizure.

 

"Yes yes, just like that! Now, hold that position and twirls your arms like this", she showed me again and I followed.

 

When I told you I'll have my bones dislocated because of dance practices, I wasn't even kidding. We're currently at the dance practice studio practicing the dance we prepared as a team for our first monthly evaluation one week from now.

 

Hold up! So, it's been three weeks since I started training in YG. My my, time sure flies huh.

 

"You're getting good at this, Rosie", Seulgi complimented me before giving me a light pat on my back, "Just keep practicing that part and you'll ace this dance."

 

I heaved out a sigh and gave her a smile. Probably the best thing about this whole training is having Seulgi as my teammate. Girlie is literally a genius she could dance and sing to anything.

 

"Thanks, Seul. I'm nervous as heck", I scratch the back of my neck.

 

"Don't be. You're good, dude."

 

Oh, that kinda rhymes.

 

"Oh, yeah? Watch me trip and fall on the actual dance, I swear to heavens", I crack a joke and we shared a laugh.

 

"Hi, Rosieee! Could you help me with that part, too? I'm struggling with the hip movements", Joy magically appeared out of nowhere, squishing herself between Seulgi and I.

 

Here she goes again. Great.

 

"I, um... I'm not that good, y'know", I said, taking subtle steps back away from this girl.

 

"But, I really reaaally need help with the dance. Come on, Rosie, pleaaase", Joy was now clinging on my arm.

 

I can see Seulgi stifling a laugh before tossing me a teasing look.

 

Oh please.

 

"Um, I think Somi's available to help you. She's better than me!", I rambled while trying to get off from the girl's grasp, "Right, Somi?!"

 

I tipped my head to the corner of the room to see Somi laying face flat on the floor.

 

"I'm too tired to even breathe", Somi replied not bothering to look up.

 

Well, she is such a mood. But, dang! This Joy girl won't stop pestering me.

 

Well, she eventually stopped when Irene came barging in. All mad and grumpy.

 

Geez, this woman is always angry I swear she eats anger for breakfast. Her anger's even taller than her.

 

"Yah, Kang! Are you done with the sampler I told you to do?? We're a week away from the evaluation and our music's still not done??"

 

Well, more like she's always mad at Seulgi.

 

"Chill, 'Rene, I'm working on it. Give me until the end of this week?", Seulgi cracks a playful a smile, and Irene could only roll her eyes.

 

And I exactly know why she's always mad at Seulgi. I ain't a gossip girl or something, okay? But I can feel it in my bones she's secretly inlove with the girl.

 

Oohlala.

 

Then why is she always mad if she's inlove with Seulgi, you ask? Well, that's because lover girl Seulgi here has a girlfriend.

 

(Ya heard that right, Seulrene shippers)

 

Yes, Seulgi has a girlfriend whom we haven't met yet. And that just reminds me, she's supposed to introduce the girl to us today.

 

"Yo, Seul. Your girlfriend's picking you up today, right?", I asked, noticing how Irene's face got even grumpier upon the mention.

 

Joy finally (thankfully) stopped pestering me and joined Somi on the floor. She's kind of scared of Irene so she's distancing away from our tiny leader as much as possible.

 

"Ah, right! She just got off from training. I think she's on her way now—"

 

Seulgi was cut off when the door of the dance practice studio flew open, and someone I knew, but wasn't expecting to see, stepped inside.

 

"Oh, here she is!"

 

And holy shivaloovadoosjksjka- I let out an audible gasp when Seulgi approached the girl and gave her a peck on the lips.

 

"Guys, meet my girlfriend", Seulgi announced, looping an arm around the girl, "Kim Jisoo."

 

What the actual ?!

 

Kim Jisoo?! Kim ing Jisoo who is supposed to be as ing straight as a ing ruler?!

 

Gay god, you gotta be kidding me?!

 

"Hi, guys. Nice to finally meet you", Jisoo offers a smile and lifts her hand in a small wave, "Seulgi's been talking a lot about you guys."

 

I looked at my teammates, and I swear if I wasn't too surprised with this revelation, I would've laughed my off by how different our reactions are. 

 

Irene was throwing daggers at Jisoo like she wanted to push the girl off of a cliff.

 

Joy wasn't even looking at Jisoo, she's staring at me with a creepy smile on her face. Goodness, what is wrong with this girl?!

 

And don't even ask how Somi is. Her face never left the floor since two hours ago.

 

"Um...", I cleared my throat, trying to make the atmosphere less awkward.

 

"Oh, it's you!", Jisoo blurted, pointing a finger at me, "You're the girl from the graduation practice."

 

So she remembers me? THE Kim Jisoo remembers this unpopular face??!

 

"I, uh, yes? Heh. H-Hello, Jisoo."

 

"You guys know each other?", Seulgi asked.

 

"Well, not really. I remember we just stumbled upon each other on graduation practice", Jisoo gave me a smile, "So, you really joined YG, huh."

 

I reciprocated her smile with an awkward one, "I gave it a shot, I guess."

 

"Oh, so you guys were schoolmates. That's cool!", Seulgi said, "We all should hangout together some other time, what do ya'll think? Rosie? Irene? Joy? Somi?"

 

It was crickets.

 

This team seriously has a problem with reacting appropriately to situations.

 

I bob my head in a nod, giving them the benefit of the doubt, "S-Sure! Of course, we can all hangout some other time. Heh."

 

Irene took a step forward, rolls her eyes, and flips her hair before exiting the scene, "Whatever."

 

I- Can this tiny girl be any more obvious?!

 

"Oh, wow. Is she on her period?", Jisoo asked, blinking.

 

"Trust me, she's always on her period", Seulgi could only answer.

 

Oh, you oblivious bear, if you just knew.

 

"Anyways, we'll get going now. See ya guys tomorrow!"

 

The couple waved goodbye and left. And I was left with even less braincells now.

 

How is Kim Jisoo gay?! If I remembered it correctly, she was talking about cute guys when we met. How did she go from liking cute guys to liking a cute bear?!

 

Is the world really ending?

 

"Um, hey Rosie."

 

I tipped my head behind me and found Joy approaching again. What do you want this time, woman?!

 

"Are you available tonight? We could maybe have dinner together or—"

 

"Rosieee!"

 

Jennie came barging in, almost breaking the door.

 

I swear to god I'm still a trainee, I got no money to pay for that door, this genie should find her chill.

 

"What's taking you so long? The mosquitos are feasting on us outside, Lisa's considering biting them back", Jennie ranted, hands propped on her hips.

 

"I- we just finished with the dance!"

 

I noticed Joy keeps a distance and frowns, "So, you already have plans tonight, Rosie?"

 

I nodded, "Well, yeah. Dinner with my friends."

 

She subtly (but not so subtly) huffs before walking to the door, "Alright, take care, Rosie. See you tomorrow."

 

Then she left. I'm telling you that woman's getting weirder everytime.

 

"Let's go? I'm starving", Jennie reaches out a hand, pouting.

 

I playfully snicker before holding her, "When are you not starving?"

 

"Okay, Lisa and I are going without you."

 

She dramatically lets go of my hand and faked a frown. Okay where is Jennie's Oscar?

 

"Kidding, sulkyhead! Where are we eating anyway?"

 

Jennie cracks a sheepish smile, eyes sparkling knowingly. Oh man, don't tell me?!

 

"Dumpling store!"

 

What did I do in my past life to deserve living in this life just eating dumplings? When I die, ya'll should write dumplings as the cause of my death on my grave.

 

"Come on now, or else you're paying!", she sticks out her tongue at me before sprinting outside.

 

Don't I always pay?!

 

I could only shake my head and started taking steps to the door when I remembered something.

 

Tipping my head behind, I literally facepalmed myself, "Uh, Somi? Aren't you going home?"

 

Somi poses a thumbs up but still not leaving the floor, "I'm just...resting."

 

"O-Okay?"

 

Yes, so much for the cool life of Roseanne Park.

 

~•~

 

"You mean The Kim Jisoo, whom you've been fantasizing back in highschool, is actually gay?!", Lisa was laughing her off in the driver's seat when I told them what happened earlier.

 

"I know right?? Like, all this time she made me believe she's straight!", I said back.

 

Well, she didn't really make me believe, I just assumed I guess.

 

"Duh, she didn't make you believe, dude. You just assumed she's straight", my bestfriend shot back.

 

That's exactly what my thoughts just said, Lisa. Stop stealing my lines.

 

"Oh, well, it doesn't matter anymore anyway", she spoke again, "You have Jennie now."

 

She wriggles a brow at me, a toothy smile playing on her lips before turning to the back seat to also tease Jennie. The genie threw an empty can of soda on her head as a response.

 

So, Lisa still thinks Jennie and I are a thing. Like, is that even possible?? No? Yes? No?

 

I turned back at the two girls who are now snapping each other's neck. Kindly note that Lisa is driving. And when we die??!

 

I pulled them back off of each other and leaned back on my seat when everything finally went calm. Thoughts running through my head, but surprisingly, I wasn't at all affected by the fact that Jisoo is gay and that she's dating Seulgi.

 

I was surprised. But not affected. 

 

Not anymore.

 

~•~

 

Another week has passed and we luckily survived our first monthly evaluation without getting roasted by the executive producer. Though undeniably chaotic, our team has the most talented trainees YG could ever have.

 

Yes, this is me bragging, ladies and gentlemen.

 

And we initially planned to go out as a team and celebrate, but the skies suddenly got lonely and started weeping hard on this very night. In layman's term, yes, it was raining. 

 

So, we rescheduled the celebration, and Jennie and I got stuck inside my apartment watching unicorns on Disney. I didn't know how she managed to convince me to watch that corny . But minutes later, we were already vibing to the show's soundtrack, singing along with rainbow-colored unicorns.

 

And there goes my dream of becoming cool.

 

We only stopped when I took out a tub of milk ice cream from the fridge, and we dig in. The unicorn show softly running in the background as we started sharing stuff about ourselves.

 

"I was once locked inside a kettle, I almost became a boiled genie", Jennie said, laughing.

 

"What the , of all places? Kettle really?", playing with my spoon, I laughed with her.

 

"Yeah, told ya I cannot choose my container. Heckity heck, the kettle was right over the stove! Fortunately, the owner noticed the pink paper floating inside before he could boil me."

 

"Man, that was close! What could've happened if he had turn on the stove?"

 

"Hmm, well, I'd feel the heat. But nothing would really happen to me", she shrugs, taking another spoonful of ice cream.

 

I've learned that she really likes the milk flavor. Such a baby.

 

"You won't die?", I asked in concern.

 

She shook her head, averts her eyes away, and gave a smile.

 

It was a sad one.

 

I knew it was a sad one.

 

For all the days I've been with Jennie, I've only seen her happy, sly, shy, teasing smiles. This sight is unsettlingly...foreign.

 

"I won't die", she voiced out her reply, "I don't die."

 

"Oohh, so genies don't die? That's cool, you superhero", I tried lifting up the mood.

 

But Jennie didn't react and kept her eyes averted, putting down the tub of ice cream on the coffee table.

 

Roseanne, you good-for-nothing dumbo. You just had to bring up that topic?!

 

But I didn't know it was a sensitive topic?!

 

I cleared my throat and tried again, "Um...you mean, whatever happens, even with situations out of your control...you won't die?"

 

Jennie nodded, "I'll be forever existing. Forever be jumping from containers to containers. Forever be granting people's wishes."

 

"So, it's not cool to be immortal?"

 

"It's something I wouldn't wish even for my greatest enemy."

 

I leant back against the comfort of my couch just beside the genie, subtly observing her expression, "I used to think being immortal is such a nice power to have. I mean, if everyone was immortal, then happy ever after may exist."

 

"You wish everyone was immortal?"

 

"I just thought", twirling a spoon in my fingers, I replied, "If everyone was immortal, then maybe people wouldn't need to go through phases of pain. No one would mourn. No one would lose anyone. No kid would have to watch their parents pass before their very eyes."

 

I saw Jennie glanced at me and her eyes immediately soften.

 

"Rosie..."

 

Waving a hand, I gave her a smile, "I'm cool, Jen. I told ya they're probably waltzing up there in heaven. They'll surely gonna smack me for being sad. And besides, now that I'm older, I realized wishing for immortality is nothing but a selfish ideology."

 

She reciprocated my smile and nodded, "It's tiring."

 

"And emotionally torturous."

 

"It's like fighting a never-ending battle", Jennie's voice trails off, "It's a literal curse."

 

I reach out a hand to pat her shoulder in a comforting manner, "I'm listening."

 

I don't know why but seeing Jennie's sadness pokes darts at my heart. We've only known each other for a little over a month, but she's grown close to me. Maybe because we vibe to many mutual things? Or maybe because we like to childishly banter over the smallest stuff? 

 

I've been feeling weird lately, and Jennie might have something to do with it.

 

"I was born in the Joseon Dynasty. Maybe in another universe. I'm not sure which universe I originally came from anymore", she lets out a humorless chuckle as she started her story, "I was a normal teenager living in a kingdom."

 

Woah wait, so she was a human??

 

"Hold up! So, you were a human?", I voiced out my thought.

 

"Hmm. I was a mere mortal just like everyone else, before I was cursed into becoming a genie."

 

I bob my head in a nod, the story piquing my curiosity, "What happened?"

 

" happened."

 

"I— Jen!"

 

She bubbles in a soft laugh, "No, really. happened.  I violated the most important law in our universe."

 

"What is..."

 

"I fell in love with a girl."

 

Holy shivaloskksjksajskajk— why is everyone gay and why am I only learning it now??

 

My jaw fell on the ground, and Jennie probably noticed I was too shookt to speak so she continued.

 

"I couldn't help it, you know? When you fall in love, you just couldn't help it. But being with the same was strictly forbidden and considered unforgivable in our universe."

 

"What did you do?", I asked when I found my tongue.

 

"What could I have done? It was forbidden. A crime. A sin. So, every night I would call out the supreme being and wish I could love freely. Every single night, I would rant on him and would wish the same thing over and over again", she smiles bitterly at the memory, "And then one day, he got tired of all my pleas, wielded his power upon me, and cursed me into becoming a genie. Forever be granting people's wishes...but never be granting my own."

 

By the time Jennie finished talking, I was sure there were tears in my eyes.

 

"That's...sad", I spoke, eyes lingering on her, "And cruel."

 

"It is."

 

There it goes again, the poking darts at my heart. I couldn't imagine what Jennie might be feeling for shouldering a curse she doesn't deserve. She went through a lot, and will go through a whole lot more up until eternity...all because she fell in love.

 

Life has been cruel to Jennie. This universe doesn't deserve her.

 

"You've been so strong."

 

I gestured for her to come closer, and she complied by laying her head on my lap.

 

"I had to."

 

We fell into a comfortable silence, with me just her hair gently with my fingers.

 

"Is there a way to break the curse?", I asked after a little while.

 

She hums and leans more into my touch, "There is. But the supreme being's not telling me how. He said he'll just show up when the requirement is finally fulfilled. But it's been lifetimes."

 

"I hope it comes soon. Don't lose hope, JenJen."

 

She looks up at me and playfully rolls her eyes, "I really hate that nickname."

 

I bubble in a soft chuckle, finally loosening up, "You know you like it, JenJen. Don't be shy and just admit it."

 

"Whatever, Rosie Posie."

 

I boop her nose and she retorted by biting my finger. Cutie bean.

 

"I still can't get over the fact that you like girls, though", I said.

 

"And I envy that it's totally accepted in your universe", she puffs her cheeks, "You should take advantage of it and start dating, Rosie."

 

I gulped an invisible lump in my throat. What's with this sudden dating talk??

 

"I, um...it's not my priority right now. Y'know, I'm focusing on my career."

 

"Really? You don't like Jisoo anymore?"

 

I shook my head as fast as the lightning, "No. I don't like her anymore."

 

Well, it's true, though. It was just a stupid crush anyway.

 

"How about Joy? She obviously likes you."

 

I shook my head even faster, "No, she's weird. And I don't feel something whenever I'm with her."

 

"What are you supposed to feel, then?"

 

"Y'know, that fluttering feeling in your stomach and the little skips in your chest", I told her, "I don't feel that with her."

 

Jennie stares at me for a few seconds just batting her lashes, before nodding and closing her eyes, "Hmm'kay."

 

And then we succumb to another comfortable silence just listening to the soft pitter-patter of rain on my windows.

 

Fluttering feeling in your stomach and little skips in your chest.

 

Why does it all feel familiar?

 

~•~

 

By the time we got past a month, I ain't counting the days anymore. Maybe it's been a month and two weeks? Or maybe longer than that? Maybe we're even closer to two months.

 

You're probably wondering what's taking me so long to make my remaining wishes.

 

, I don't know.

 

Jennie had stopped bugging me to make a wish since two weeks ago, I guess. And I honestly have forgotten about that until tonight.

 

We were walking down the local road on our way home, just finished having dinner at the...do I still need to mention...dumpling store. Jennie insisted on buying take-outs like she's still not full with the amount of plates she emptied. But we ended up ordering anyway.

 

She's the boss.

 

Jennie was enthusiastically skipping down the street we always take when walking home, while I tail her from behind. I thought she's just happy with her take-outs. She's probably gonna eat them once we got home.

 

But I was wrong.

 

I was surprised when she stopped by the side walk, bent her knees so she was quarter squatting, and approached two figures sitting on the ground.

 

That's when I realized, the take-outs were not for her. They're for them.

 

For those homeless children we once passed by.

 

Jennie handed them the paper bags containing the food, and something pierced right through my chest as the children gratefully accepted them with big smiles on their faces.

 

I was in a daze when I noticed Jennie has returned to my side with the brightest smile I have ever seen from her so far.

 

And I wondered why it took me long enough to realize how beautiful she is.

 

"Let's go home?", she said ang tugs on my hand.

 

But my heart was busy pounding to formulate a reply. So I let her pull me with her as we resumed walking down the calmness of the streets.

 

She probably sensed I was not in my usual self, so she halted not far away.

 

"Something wrong, Rosie?", she asked, tipping her head a little to observe my face.

 

"I..."

 

"You...?"

 

I gave her smile before answering, "I'd like to make my second wish."

 

"Oh."

 

She paused for a moment, before playfully twirling her hands in the air, "Gosh, that wish took almost two months. But go on, Rosie. What'd you want to wish?"

 

I hope those two months will be worth it.

 

"Jennie the genie, why are you so pretty, you make me all giddy, make my wish come true in a hurry", I let out a small chuckle after chanting the phrases, still not used to the cringe, "I wish there'll be no more homeless people in the world."

 

Jennie stares at me in surprise, probably not believing what I just said, "Rosie..."

 

"I wish them shelter...and comfort that they deserve."

 

"A-Are you sure?"

 

"Hundred one percent."

 

She bobs her head in a soft nod, and by the time she started twirling her hands in the air like she did last time, her eyes were glistening, "Your wish...is my command."

 

And then the world seemed to have stop just like the last time. Pink smoke and glitter dusts and sparkles illuminated in the vast atmosphere, before vanishing in the thin air as if nothing has happened.

 

But we both knew, tonight, something big in the world...changed.

 

"You did it, Rosie", Jennie spoke after a little while, a grateful smile painted on her lips, "They're home."

 

"We did it", I corrected, "You're a big part of it, Jen."

 

"You have such a good heart."

 

"Life is hard enough, Jen. I know it's even harder for them. No one deserves to go through such misery."

 

Jennie didn't reply and took me by surprise when she invaded my personal space to engulf me in a hug.

 

She feels soft.

 

And warm.

 

And it feels really nice to be held by her.

 

So, I wrapped my arms around her in return, hugging her back.

 

Her face was buried against my pounding chest, and it may be a good thing so she wouldn't see my now reddened cheeks.

 

"Bless your beautiful soul", she managed to mumble in soft, but still audible voice.

 

"Trust me, yours is just as beautiful."

 

We stayed like that for a couple minutes before I finally felt her weight on me.

 

This dumpling literally sleeps anywhere, I can't with her.

 

Silently laughing to myself, I stealthily turned my body around so she'd land on my back.

 

Best excercise of the day is piggyback a sleeping dumpling JenJen.

 

I started walking down the same road with Jennie on my back, and wondered when did I ever stop complaining about carrying her home almost every night.

 

We were nearing my apartment when I realized something.

 

Jolly old Saint Nicholas-

 

That fluttering feeling in the stomach and those little skips in the chest.

 

Fear take over my system when I realized I'm feeling all of them...with her.

 

I feel all of them with Jennie.

 

~•~

 

 

This is a 5-chapter story, what's taking me so long to update 😩

 

Sincerest apologies for my laziness. I wrote 6,700 words to make up for it. 😃✌🏻

 

Aaand! Rosie solo 'On The Ground' on the 12th, ya'll! Be sure to stream! Let's break the records ❤️