ROMEO AND JULIET - modern day version

4 plus 1

Back in the dance studio…

 

“Here’s the script! Go through it once and we will edit again” Sora handed the scripts to Bora and Lay.

 

“Thanks!” Bora smiled and took the script over. 

 

“How’s your leg situation?” Sora asked.

 

“Can’t dance for a week! So I guess this week I’ll work on memorising my lines and acting.” Bora shrugged. 

 

“I’ll take care of her for the week” Lay chimed in.

 

“You should. You’re the reason” Sora said but got cut off by Bora.

 

“Not just him. It’s my fault for being so careless too.” Bora let out a sigh. 

 

“I’ll take the responsibility of being your care-taker ok” Lay joked, “at your service my queen” as he bowed and held out his hand.

 

“fetch me cup of tea my servant” Bora said with a posh accent and they all laughed. 

 

Bora and Lay then sat together on the floor and read their scripts in silence in the corner of the room while the rest of the classmates were working on their dances, the props and the scripts and lightings. 

 

—— ROMEO AND JULIET : Final school production —— 

 

Romeo was an FBI agent of the South Korean secret mission, their aim is to bring down the drug cartel that is running underground of South Korea. 

 

Juliet was the only daughter of the famous mafia boss, Mr Yoon, he runs the biggest drug cartel in South Korea. He owned multiple estates, clubs, shopping malls and even casinos in South Korea. 

 

Romeo then joined the cartel as a spy, and was deep in it for 5 years, he became one of the respectable right-hand man of Mr Yoon due to his ruthlessness and capabilities of running the cartel. 

 

Juliet was forbidden to participate in her father’s work, her mother wants her to stay away from all the drama, and she was told that her father runs a legitimate business. But deep inside, she knew what her family was doing. 

 

Every year, the Yoon enterprise will throw a big grand charity event (on the surface, it was actually used for money laundering purposes) This year, one of their business partner wanted Juliet to betroth their son. 

 

So Mrs Yoon dolled up Juliet for the grand ball.

 

However, Romeo came to the ball as well, and he has one mission, to kill Mr Yoon. 

 

SCENE NUMBER 1 - ballroom

 

At a posh hotel in Seoul, the their grandest ballroom. All the guests were finely dressed, cocktail in hand, having small talks with each other. 

 

Mrs Yoon standing beside Juliet, smiling and charming her part guest and Juliet took the chance to back out with those boring conversations, and stumbled across the coatroom beside the ballroom. 

 

SCENE NUMBER 2 

 

Juliet was unhappy about the arranged marriage, and she went to the small coat room behind the ballroom, where the staff hang the guests coats. 

 

She was wearing a white U-back neck midi skater dress and a pair of white pointed stilettos. She looks posh, innocent, pure and elegant. 

 

She kicked off her stilettos, and walked around the room barefooted, perusing through rows of coats, examining each pieces, making up stories behind each coat, coming out with the personalities of the coats owners in her head. 

 

As she flipped another coat away and took one more step, she bumped into a dashing young man, wearing a black suit with a black bow tie and white shirt. 

 

Before she could scream, he covered with his hand, and they stared straight into each others eyes, both charmed, he felt her relaxing and finally let go of her. 

 

“Who are you” Juliet questioned, pushing him away. 

 

“I’m Romeo, Mr Yoon’s right hand man.” the dashing man replied. 

 

“What are you doing here?” Juliet frowned at him, eyeing him suspiciously.

 

“I’m taking a break. Fraternising is not my thing.” Romeo replied, staring straight into Juliet’s eyes. “Who are you?” Of course he knows who she is, but he lied as Mr Yoon kept his daughter very private to his gang. 

 

“Just someone invited to this party.” Juliet replied, staring boldly straight into his eyes. 

 

The atmosphere is electrifying. Romeo could feel his heart racing, he know he shouldn’t do that. His rational told him to stay focus on the mission tonight, and not complicate things. But he couldn’t take it, he leaned forward and kiss her lips. 

 

Juliet returned his kiss hungrily, smitten by this overwhelming passion. Romeo broke away from the kiss gently, held her by her shoulders, kissed her forehead and said “so long, stranger.” and turned towards the door.

 

“Will I ever see you again?” Juliet asked longingly. Still giddy from everything that happened so suddenly.

 

“Let fate decide.” Romeo replied her and left, leaving Juliet alone in the small dark room, she touched her lips and smiled. 

 

She headed back into the ballroom. 

 

SCENE NUMBER 3

 

Juliet was ballroom dancing with Paris, the guy she was betrothed to, while her eyes darted around to look for Romeo. 

 

“Don’t they both look great together!” Mrs Yoon grinned and Paris’s mother agreed.

 

“You look beautiful tonight.” Paris said as he looks at Juliet sweetly. 

 

Juliet let out a half smile and continue searching for the mysterious Romeo. 

 

Suddenly, the music changed and it’s time to swap partners, Juliet gave a slight curtsy to Paris and they switched partners. 

Juliet bowed at her new partner half-heartedly, while eyes still wandered around, looking for Romeo. 

 

“Are you looking for someone else?” the young man asked. 

 

The voice sounded familiar, she looked at him and got a shocked, it was Romeo. 

 

“Oh. Hi.” Juliet blushed as she held onto her partner tighter.

 

“Perhaps, you’ve found who you’re looking for?” Romeo let out a small laugh.

 

Juliet punched his arms slightly, and continued ballroom dancing with him, she laid her head on his chest as they danced. 

 

The spotlight were on them and they started dancing (the choreography that Bora and Kai came out with) with an ending scene on Juliet kissing Romeo. 

 

Suddenly, someone came running into the ballroom screaming “MR YOON IS SHOT!” 

 

Everyone stopped dancing, Juliet’s heart started pounding. 

 

Romeo ran towards the man who shouted “where is he!” 

 

The man shivered and replied “In his suite” 

 

SCENE NUMBER 4 

 

Romeo ran out of the ballroom and Juliet followed behind. 

 

They ran up the stairs as the lift was taking too long and they got to Mr Yoon suite. 

 

“Has anyone called the ambulance!” Romeo ran pass the staff crowding in the room.

 

“Yes yes. ambulance is on its way” a staff replied.

 

Juliet ran towards her father and started sobbing. 

 

Romeo checked on Mr Yoon’s pulse and couldn’t find one. He stood up and held on to Juliet to comfort her. 

 

SCENE NUMBER 5 

 

After the funeral, Romeo came into Juliet’s room. 

 

“How are you feeling?” Romeo asked as he swept a stray hair out of her face. 

 

Juliet and buried her face in his chest. He hugged her tightly, both sitting on her bed and he kissed her head while hugging her. 

 

“Trust the police ok? They will find the killer soon.” Romeo kissed her cheeks and continue hugging her.

 

Romeo started singing (the song Lay wrote for the play) and proposed to Juliet.

 

SCENE NUMBER 6

 

A few years passed, Romeo and Juliet were married happily until one day, Paris came to Juliet and told him they found the murderer, it was Romeo, and he was an undercover. Romeo managed to bring down the whole cartel in Korea after killing Mr Yoon. This is the final scene.

 

“I can’t believe it. Romeo… Is that even your real name?” Juliet mumbled between her sobs. 

 

“I know you cannot trust me. I’m sorry for deceiving you and killing your father, but my feelings for you are true!” Romeo looked deeply into Juliets eyes.

 

Juliet held a gun at Romeo’s head. “I will avenge my father.” she said crying.

 

“Juliet. You can kill me, but I want you to know, you were never supposed to be involved. I let my feelings get in the way. I fell in love with you, and it was never meant to happen. I never meant to hurt you. I would die for you, I really would. If it makes you feel better to kill me, please do.” Romeo walked towards Juliet.

 

“STOP! Stop right there! One more step and I’ll kill you!” Juliet said trembling, her hands shaking and she couldn’t control her sobs. 

 

“Kill me then. I won’t be able to live without you, Juliet.” Romeo walked towards her, she dropped her gun and he hugged her. 

 

“Goodbye Juliet. I’m sorry for hurting you. I love you. I really do.” Romeo said as he took out vile of poison and drank it.

 

“NOOOOOO” Juliet cried, she snatched the vile from Romeo and he collapse on the floor. “Why are you so selfish. You didn’t even leave any for me.” Juliet cried bitterly, lying down beside him. 

 

Juliet picked up the gun on the floor, kissed Romeo one last time, and deliver the bullet straight into her head and she fell, right into the arms of Romeo.

 

- END OF PLAY- 

 

“wow. that was intense” Lay said as he look up from his script. “I like the story though.” 

 

“Yes it is. I’m not too sure about the kissing scenes though… Its very intimate.” Bora looked up as well. 

 

“It’s acting. make-believe, so don’t feel awkward. It’s not us kissing, but Romeo and Juliet.” Lay replied. secretly a little happy that the duo has such intimate scenes. 

 

“Okay… I like the story though” Bora replied. “looking forward to act with you” she smiled and held out her hand to Lay.

 

“Yes, looking forward to acting with you too” Lay took her hand and flashed his million dollar smile. 

 

- END OF CHAPTER -