CHAPTER 9 - PAPERCUTS

AMOR FATI

          The world didn’t stop spinning nor time freeze, it was like the time were played 2x faster, people passing the room in an incredible speed and fish are swimming as if being chased by a predator. That’s what happened in that room filled with dim lights and surrounded by the blue ocean.

          Slowly, Jessica stood up not breaking the eye contact, each step she took she took taking her time, not rush nor slow. Both if their hearts are in sync, at least. Stopping in front of Taeyeon whose eyes are lost, smiles are wide as the sea.

          “It’s your song.” Jessica admitted guiltily.

          “I don’t mind, as long as it’s you singing it.” Taeyeon keep smiling, maintaining the same eye contact, they both know what they feel is radiating in the room, it’s in the air, in these dim lights that flickers.

          “We still have one place to go.” Taeyeon added as she reach for Jessica’s hand.

          “You sure have today planned.” Jessica teased before taking Taeyeon’s hand, the warmth in her hands felt the same as Taeyeon’s heart, and how they fit perfectly in hers made her smile.

          “Well, I know there’s nothing perfect in this world but I want it to be closed to perfect.” Taeyeon replied, smiling.

          “Whatever, I’m a prisoner, so I have to bear with you anyway.” Jessica rolled her eyes playfully.

          “Good. You should follow me and be a good girl so you’ll be released from your jail.” Taeyeon played along.

          “Ne.” Jessica nodded her head like a kid as Taeyeon lead her to the car. Taeyeon drove which Jessica called the unknown since it’s so dark and no buildings nor lights can be seen outside.

          “Don’t worry, you may be a billionaire but I won’t kidnap you.” Taeyeon assure her for who knows how many times now.

          “How can I be sure? Eunha and Soojung ca be easily fooled to handover all my money and properties just to take me back.” Jessica crossed her arms.

          “Yah! Do you think I would do that to Soojung?” Taeyeon defended.

          “I’m glad you cared for my sister, taking care of her when I haven’t been able to.” Jessica’s expression was serious and sincere.

          “I wouldn’t know what to do if she found some thugs or get killed years ago.” Jessica added, her voice wavering.

          “Hey~ Don’t overthink about it much, I’m sure Soojung would still be able to handle herself even if she haven’t meet me.” Taeyeon assured Jessica whose eyes was lost wandering outside.

          “Still, you took her into your home trusting her, practically raising her and now, you’re helping me. No words can express how thankful I am.” Jessica smiles as she met Taeyeon’s eyes.

          ‘I’m glad I’ll be leaving Soojung in good hand’ Jessica thought to herself. ‘An amazing person’

          “We’re here.” Taeyeon stops the car to what Jessica saw an unknown.

          “Come on, just trust me, okay?” Taeyeon smiles, as she notice Jessica raises her brow. They both exited the car and that’s when Jessica noticed some cars parked meters away from them.

          “I didn’t brought you here to watch other people.” Taeyeon lay some mat on the ground and pat beside her.

          “We’re here for that.” Taeyeon pointed at the skies. Jessica looks up and see the clear skies, stars twinkling, moon smiling as it shows its half face in the skies.

          “We’re just in time. Just wait a couple of minutes.” Taeyeon smiles as Jessica sat beside her, now she understands, they are sitting in one of the tallest mountain near Seoul, seeing the skies clearly though not the city, she’s still happy she get to see the stars up close.

          Taking a deep breathe, Jessica lie down beside Taeyeon.

          “In three, two, one.” Taeyeon counted, there was a gasp beside her and saw Jessica smiling as she watches the meteors passes the skies one by one. Of course, it’s a meteor shower, little stars falling from the skies. Jessica closed her eyes, a tear escape but her smile lingers. Taeyeon keep looking at her proudly.

          “What did you wish for?” Taeyeon asks.

          “Why would I tell you?” Jessica glared at Taeyeon beside her.

          “Eh? Nothing, just curious if you won’t tell me. That’s fine.” Taeyeon pouted.

          “It’s a secret.” Jessica smiled at the skies.

          “It was beautiful, the stars falling. How can something that is falling, dying, ending, so beautiful?” Jessica smiles as she said those words. Taeyeon’s gaze is still on her.

          “Yeah, beautiful.” Taeyeon replied before gazing back to the skies. ‘Falling is beautiful as long as it doesn’t hit the ground, as long as it doesn’t break. It’s beautiful. I want to keep it.’

          “By the way, I have to give you something.” Taeyeon sat up and took something in her pocket.

          “Ta da! I was waiting for the right time to give it back to you. But I always forgot.” Taeyeon scratch the back of her head.

          “That’s… my necklace.” Jessica gasp.

          “Yeah. I’m sorry it took too long for me to give it back.” Taeyeon chuckles.

          “I… how did you find it?” Jessica asks then it hits her.

          “You… you’re the one who saved me that night?” Jessica gasped.

          “Well, yeah? I was actually just walking around and saw you fell.” Taeyeon explained.

          “Why didn’t you tell me?” Jessica in disbelief, how can she never notice that it was Taeyeon, the person’s silhouette the first night she knew her illness who lend her the heat pack, the person who saved her from drowning, all she saw was a silhouette, Taeyeon’s silhouette to be exact.

          “Well, I plan one.” Taeyeon started as she crawl behind Jessica, Jessica cleared her hair and let Taeyeon put the necklace from behind.

          “I just… I don’t know, can’t find the right timing? Well you always teased me or glared at me.” Taeyeon shrugs as she finishes putting the necklace on.

          “So it’s my fault?” Jessica asked, Taeyeon can imagine Jessica’s brow is raised right now.

          “No, Its not your fault. It was never your fault”. Taeyeon replied. ‘to lose your parents in an early age, to lost Soojung in the process, bearing all the pain, handling the company. Having to suffer because you’re sick. It’s not your fault.’ Were the words Taeyeon wanted to convey. ‘And it’s not your fault why I’m feeling the butterflies inside.’

          “Jessica, I have something to tell you-“ Taeyeon was cut off when Jessica turns to face her, their face so close to each other that they could feel each other’s breath and hear their heartbeat racing.

          “Thank You, Taeyeon.” Jessica smiled before closing the gap and turning right to Taeyeon’s right cheek, leaving a soft, cold kiss.

          “Thank you for everything.” Jessica added.

          “I…” Taeyeon stuttered.

          “Let’s go. I’m feeling cold.” Jessica stood up abruptly.

          “Okay, let me take you back to the hospital.” Taeyeon follow suit.

          The ride back to the car was quiet, the engine and the music from the radio was the only noise inside the car.

         

 

          “Jessica!~” Sinb rushes the next morning to Jessica’s room.

          “Yes? I’m still here present.” Jessica replied casually.

          “Good news! We found a donor and they’ll be ready when you are.” Sinb exclaimed excitedly. Eunha and Soojung’s eyes lit up.

          “Really? Then we have to do it as fast as possible.” Soojung chirped in.

          “Of course, we’ll schedule Jessica for tomorrow’s surgery so the donor’s family can bid goodbye to the donor.” Sinb sadly said the last line.

          “Congrats!” Taeyeon pop out from the door.

          “Unnie, thank you.” Soojung jump in Taeyeon’s arms.

          “You should be thanking the donor and the Lead surgeon who will do it not me.” Taeyeon pats Soojung’s head.

          “I still want to thank you, all of you.” Soojung shook her head.

          “Yeah, without you we don’t what we’ll do.” Eunha agreed.

          “Don’t worry, we have the best Doctors and Surgeon here, you’re in safe hands.” Taeyeon assure Jessica with a smile.

          “I know.” Jessica mirrored the smile.

          “But, aren’t you the one who’s going to operate on Miss Jung?” Eunha asks.

          “Unfortunately no, the new recruit doctors will be assisting Doctor Seo Ye Ji since they’re all seniors, you can count on them.” Sinb thumbs up with a smile.

          “I see. I believe they’re the ones who came here earlier to gather the data.” Jessica nodded her head.

          “Yes, you’re right Miss Jung.” The familiar deep voice butts in with the new employed Doctors came in.

          “And This is Doctor Karina and Doctor Winter of Seoul International Hospital. They’re professional from the states and they’ve been assigned by the Head of Surgery to assist me.” Doctor Seo introduces the two young Doctors.

          “Annyeong Haseyo.” They both bowed.

          “Well, I must first welcome you to Korea though a little bit late.” Jessica smiles.

          “And I supposed you already know me.” Jessica added. She noticed the two earlier who entered the room while she’s pretending to be asleep.

          “Of course Miss Jung.” Karina smiles.

          “We already evaluated and studied your case. We’ll be very happy to help you.” Winter had the same smile.

          “And no need to worry, they’re both ace during their school years and their residency in states.” Sinb wink at Jessica.

          “I don’t worry Sinb-ah~” Jessica smiles.

          “So, rest well for now. We’ll schedule you tomorrow.” Doctor Seo then left with the two young Doctor.

          “Rest up.” Taeyeon smiles before turning to walk away, slowly she took each step with a heavy heart away from the bed, away from the room. And Jessica just look at her silhouette as she slowly disappear from her sight.

 

          “Unnie, you have to fight. Okay?” Soojung said with a hoping, worrying and sad face mask with a smile.

          “I’ll be fine.” Jessica patted her sister as she hugs her.

          “Miss Jung, You better go out of that room with those glare.” Eunha sniff.

          “Eunbi- come here.” Jessica hugs her too, with Soojung.

          “And keep this for me.” Jessica took off the necklace and handed it to Soojung.

          “You both better be here waiting for me when I go out.” Jessica glared.

          “Yes.” Eunha and Soojung jokingly saluted with a laugh.

          “Jessica, fighting.” Sinb smiles and pat her shoulder.

          “Thanks Sinb.” Jessica mirrored the smile. She look over Sinb but see no one else.

          “I’ll be back.”

 

          “Doctor Seo!” One of the nurse called the lead surgeon in the middle of the surgery and they noticed that Jessica’s monitor is in flat line. Doctor Seo, with Doctor Karina and Winter busy themselves reviving the not responding Jessica on the operation table, hoping, with every compression that she’ll breathe again.

 

A//N: Ha! How you like that? Lol! So, this scene looks like one of my story. Take a guess what will turn out? Hehehehehehe btw, thanks for waiting and do enjoy ^^

Let's also support and love aespe <3