Another chance

Of Penguin, Food, and A Certain Blonde

Mina checks her phone.

 

It’s still early, and she’s already cold despite wearing thick clothes. She should’ve just waited upstairs in her room but she needed to escape her roommate’s incessant questioning of her love affair. 

 

“Have you guys sort things out?” Sana asked innocently, though there’s a glint of mockery in her eyes.

 

The audacity…

 

Just because she and Tzuyu had come to an understanding, doesn’t mean things are going well for Mina too. She can’t help but be green with envy of Sana’s life at the moment. Well, she was at fault too in the first place - her roommate wouldn’t be in this state if not for Mina’s persuasion to have a deep talk with Tzuyu. 

 

Despite being envious, Mina is actually proud of them. It took a week for Sana to wear the necklace Tzuyu gave her, the latter had a notion that she’s not deserving enough of Tzuyu’s deep affection and the well-thought gift; she really hurt the youngest with her selfishness. 

 

Mina didn’t fully know the real story behind their conversations (they call every night to talk, making Mina wonder how will Sana pay the bills) but she woke up one day to see the shiba-inu being her bright self again, smiling stupidly in front of the mirror with a necklace hanging around her neck. 


 

“I’m not dreaming, am I?”

 

Sana giggles her usual laugh, a sound Mina hadn’t heard for a while. “Of course not, silly. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?”

 

“Just wondering, because…” She juts her chin to the blue pendant, her lips curling up. 

 

Sana’s hand immediately reaches to the pendant, a shy smile slowly forming. It was endearing to see the once flirty girl that was immune to other’s advances, now flushing bright red because of a certain girl. 

 

Only Tzuyu can bring her to this state of blushing mess.  

 

“I want to thank you, Mina.”

 

“Wow, this is a first.”

 

“Can you please not? I’m trying to be serious here…” Sana groans with a pout, the vice president making a zipping motion over . She sits beside Mina, bringing the latter’s hands on her lap. “I don’t think I had the right mind to think things through, with everything that’s happening and the confusion with my own feelings… I was scared to make a decision.”

 

“But now that I did, I actually feel relieved. If it wasn’t for you and Momo knocking some sense into my stubborn head, I would have missed this chance.” Sana’s face lit up, and it’s sunshine again in their dim room. 

 

“Thank you, Mina… for not giving up on me.”

 

Mina yelped when she was pulled into a hug, followed by a light chortle as she returned the embrace, rubbing her bestfriend’s back to show she got her... Mina always got her back. 


 

She sighs at the memory. How ironic it is that she succeeded in fixing Sana’s relationship, but she couldn’t mend hers. Mina buries her face deeper into the warm muffler, the cold starting to seep through her skin. No, it wasn’t because of the winter night, but something else. Just remembering about the blonde makes her body tremble, weak. Oh, how she hopes she can persuade herself to do the same.

 

Then, her phone rings, the number she recently saved flashing on the screen.

 

“Hello?”

 

A beat.

 

“Yes, I’m already here.”

 

She whips her head to the side, seeing Jeongyeon waving her phone towards her. She responded back with a polite smile as she walk towards the woman in a long coat with minty green hair tied in low pony-tail, a peculiar color she thought. In the background, she saw a familiar back of a certain blonde leaving with someone else.

 

Is that…?

 

“Ready to go?”

 

Her attention was snatched away from the retreating pair as she faced Jeongyeon, the tall woman offering an arm for her to take. She glanced back to the road, but found no one.

 

“Yeah, let’s go.”

 

*

 

The restaurant was nothing fancy, but Mina can guess it’s more posh than Jeongyeon’s family restaurant. The latter asked her to order, and just when she opted for the cheapest meal, Jeongyeon ordered the most expensive one.

 

“It’s on me.” 

 

Mina tries to avoid the gentle gaze and soft smile. If she’s not in the right mind, she would have found Jeongyeon’s manners as charming. A feat she shared with a certain blonde…

 

Shaking her head, Mina looks up to Jeongyeon, the latter currently engrossed with her phone.

 

“Why are we here?”

 

“To eat?”

 

Mina cracks a smile, “You know what I mean.”

 

“I was forced to.” The woman shrugs nonchalantly, earning a confused look from Mina. “But we will talk after we enjoy our meal. Deal?”

 

Mina sighs, only to straighten her back when their dish is served. Jeongyeon gestured for her to dig in with a raise of her glass, and Mina reluctantly conceded.

 

She enjoys the fancy dinner - she wasn’t even halfway through the big plate of tender lamb shank served with mashed potatoes - but she can’t stop her feet from bouncing under the round table of red rosy sheet. The meal is delicious, she’s not gonna lie, but how can Mina concentrate on the taste when her free hand prefers to pick on the end of a napkin placed over her lap. 

 

The vice president might exude sophistication, but she’s still very much a soft and timid penguin when it comes to dubious confrontations such as this.

 

“Is the food not to your taste?”

 

Mina’s head jerked upwards, a blush slowly appearing from the realization that Jeongyeon had been watching her. “What?” 

 

“I just remembered you have a fussy palate.”

 

Mina’s eyes widened, her eyebrows creasing. “I do not - How did you come to that conclusion?”

 

“Momo told me.” A giggle escapes Jeongyeon’s lips before she takes a sip of the red wine. “In fact, I probably know you more than you can imagine, despite our short meeting on that double date.”

 

Mina’s mouth slackened, not sure how to react with this shocking information. “What do you mean?”

 

“When I hang out with Momo, the only thing that comes out of is your name, Mina.” Jeongyeon dabs with a napkin, an amused smile on her face. “It’s annoying at one point, but I don’t have the heart to stop her, you know… she always has that twinkle in her eyes when she talks about you. She’s like your biggest fan!”

 

Again, Mina doesn’t know what to do in this situation. It didn’t help too when that painful pang in her chest appeared again. She dips her head low, the napkin on her lap already scrunched from her tightly clenched fists.

 

What should she do in this situation? Laugh it off and play it cool?

 

Hell, she can’t because the wound had already cut too deep. Momo’s name was already engraved on her heart, just with the mention of the blonde’s name brings back the ache she tried to hide.

 

Watching Mina having a hard time with her inner struggle, Jeongyeon slides a piece of paper over the table. It appears on Mina’s line of view, making the senior more confused.

 

A receipt - and nothing else.

 

Did I owe her some money?

 

As if she heard Mina’s monologue, Jeongyeon lightly laughed with a small shake of her head. “No, you don’t owe me money. Look properly... I heard you’re the quick-witted ones in class.”

 

Mina scrutinized the receipt, her eyes falling on the name of a familiar convenience store near the dorm. But it doesn’t make sense, nor does it answer her questions.

 

“What does this have to do with dinner?”

 

“Everything.” Jeongyeon bit her lip, before sighing in defeat. “It’s about you and Momo.”

 

Mina gulps, her hands begin to get clammy. Something at the back of her head tells her to stop Jeongyeon from talking, and leave; her heart can’t handle any more surprises and truths. But another voice is asking her to brace for it, to accept what Jeongyeon is going to tell her.

 

Before she could decide, Jeongyeon beat her to it, exhaling a deep sigh before leaning closer with two arms folded over the table.

 

“Momo didn’t do anything that night, Mina. If anyone is at fault, it was me.”

 

 

It was late at night, and Jeongyeon is regretting her decision.

 

She tried to look at her watch, but with Nayeon latching onto her like a koala, a simple action seemed to cost her whole strength. She had to hug Nayeon closer when two students went past them because apparently their presence was blocking the small open corridor of the dorm. 

 

“Nay, we should go back.”

 

The said woman pouted, her cheeks flushing red. “But I want to meet Chaeng Chaeng!”

 

“I know, but it’s already late - and why are we waiting at Momo’s room in the first place?”

 

“I want to meet her too!” Nayeon giggled, “It’s like throwing stones to lovebirds, ehehe…”

 

“It's killing two birds with one stone.” Jeongyeon deadpans to the drunk woman. Just then, she saw a yellow head approaching them and her face morphed into a wide smile, grateful to see the blonde.

 

“Momo!”

 

Hearing her name, Momo perks up at the two visitors waiting outside her door. She was utterly surprised to see them, or more like the current state of Nayeon.

 

“Ehh? What are you doing here?” She points to her ex-roommate, “Is she dead? My room is not a mortuary, you know...”

 

The taller one laughed from Momo’s dry humor, “She wants to visit Chaeyoung - and you.”

 

“Aish, my room is not a family retreat spot.”

 

“But you’re my shishterrr!”

 

They jumped, surprised the zombie-like Nayeon suddenly speaks, before passing out again in Jeongyeon’s arm.

 

“We should really get her inside.”

 

Momo quickly unlocks her door, ushering the couple to head inside first. A few seconds later, the door was knocked and Chaeyoung came in her glory - wearing her strawberry pajamas and strawberry socks. The girl was grumbling about missing a documentary of snakes and mating (that creepily sounds like what SaTzu was doing earlier, Momo remembered), before she was asked by Jeongyeon to look after her passed out girlfriend.

 

“I’m going to the convenience store to buy some meds and water.” Jeongyeon said as she successfully untangled herself from Nayeon’s superhuman clutch. 

 

Momo can see the reluctance in Jeongyeon’s face to leave, knowing how wild and intense Nayeon can be when she’s drunk. “I can go in your place.”

 

“It’s okay, I don’t want to impose on you. Besides,” The taller wears a knowing smirk, “You just got back from somewhere… right?”

 

Jeongyeon caught the pinkish hues colouring Momo’s cheeks, guessing it has something to do with Mina. 

 

“We’re just hanging out, that’s all.” The blonde rubs her nape, and Jeongyeon laughs at her obvious sheepishness.

 

“I can’t wait to listen to this ‘hanging out’ you have with Mina.”

 

“It’s not-”

 

And Jeongyeon’s already out the door, slamming it shut on Momo’s face followed by a loud cackle. The blonde deeply sighs before she heard a cry of help.

 

“Momo-unnie, h-help!”

 

Her eyes widened from seeing the small cub being crushed by Nayeon on her bed. She quickly rushes to her side, lifting the drunken woman towards her. The latter was slurring some words, but neither of them caught it.

 

Exactly a minute later, Nayeon throws up on Momo. Like, literally all over her.

 

“Nayeon, what the hell?!”

 

“I told you I feel sick…” The woman mumbled.

 

“Why are you always like this, unnie? It’s not good for your health...” Momo chided while taking off her outer clothes, thankfully she’s wearing a zipper jacket.

 

“Because life , haha!”

 

Chaeyoung takes over when she notices the annoyed face of Momo, telling the senior to change her clothes first while she takes care of Nayeon. After washing herself up, Momo exchanges places with Chaeyoung as the latter pinches Nayeon’s vomit-filled shirt to the bathroom.  

 

She shakes her head from the pitiful sight of a drunk Nayeon. Jeongyeon had mentioned before that Nayeon is really struggling with her internship, but she didn’t expect it to be this terrible. 

 

Well, she’s not the only one having a hard time lately. The only difference is Momo doesn't resort to alcohol to get her mind off things, because she's already addicted to cooking and eating.

 

Not wanting the older to catch a cold, Momo takes out her blanket to cover the former. But before she could, a pair of arms suddenly clasped around her waist. 

 

“Whoa! What-”

 

“Come here, Jeongieee~”

 

“Unnie, stop! I’m not her!”

 

There was a push and pull happening as Momo tried to free herself from Nayeon’s clutch. But her foot was tangled in the blanket she carried, causing her knee to hit the chair before falling on the bed. There was a crashing sound as the fallen chair smashed her alarm clock to the floor. She cussed - it was a new clock - but Momo didn’t have time to think about it when Nayeon jumped over her.

 

“Finally, we’re alone...”

 

A hand caressed her cheek but Momo was quick to slap it away.

 

“Hey - no! Cut it out!”

 

“Whyyy? You said we are going to have an amazing night together, right?”

 

“Ugh, I’m not-” 

 

“Come on, you made a promise we’ll meet tonight!”

 

Letting out a deep breath, Momo gathers her strength and pushes the older away. Jeongyeon was right - drunk Nayeon is a pain in the to handle. Momo makes a run to the door because that’s the only option left for her.

 

“Sorry, Chaeng.” She whispered a desperate apology to the oblivious cub for leaving the warzone, before zooming off to the door.

 

However, just as her hand reaches the doorknob, another strong hand grasps her shoulder. Momo cursed as Nayeon's arm wrapped around her neck in a chokehold, but she’s not going to give up. Her life had already flashes before her when she saw Nayeon’s creepy grin just now - she just had to escape!

 

What Momo thought was an escape to freedom, turns out to be the opposite. 

 

Her skin had drained of its natural colour when she was met with Mina’s face. To make matters worse, Nayeon puckers out her lips for a kiss and Momo remembers - she’s still topless, only clad in a sports bra.

 

“M-Mina? What are you doing –”

 

“Here.” A phone was hurled in her direction - she barely caught it. “Sorry to disturb your supposedly ‘amazing night’ together.”

 

Momo froze, her mind went blank. 

 

It wasn’t until the door was slammed again on her face that she snapped out of her stupor. But it was too late already. At the same time, Chaeyoung exits the bathroom, still unaware of the commotion that just occured. 

 

“Was that Jeong - holy moly! Nayeon-unnie, that’s not a tree!” 

 

The youngest pries Nayeon off her rigid senior easily, already knowing the trick to handle her sister’s troublesome girlfriend when she’s clingy and drunk.

 

“She should be thankful I love her more than Jeongyeon...” Chaeyoung comments with a disgusted face, still not noticing the blonde standing blankly at the same spot.

 

Just a few minutes after the door slammed shut, it opens again - this time it’s Jeongyeon. “I think I just saw Mina running off - whoa! Why is Nayeon half-??”

 

“Ugh, your girlfriend decided to puke all over the place.” Chaeyoung grumbles, before patting the blanked out Momo out of her trance. “Momo-unnie, do you have a spare shirt? This woman is seeing multiple Jeongyeons and I don’t want to be a victim of her molesting.”

 

“Hey, you’re talking to a grown up!”

 

“Then she should act like one!” The small cub said while pushing the clingy Nayeon off her face. “Momo-unnie, hurry!”

 

“Uh, yeah... sure.”

 

 

“That’s what actually happened.”

 

Mina’s eyes focused on the date on the receipt, a quick flashback replays in her head of that regrettable day. It still hurts, but now that the truth has been said, the grip in her chest starts to loosen - but it still suffocates her to remember the moments.

 

She dips her head low, her voice low. “So?”

 

Jeongyeon was taken aback, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion seeing the hardened expression of the woman before her. 

 

“What do you expect me to do now?”

 

Jeongyeon her dry lips, trying to weigh her words to not aggravate the already upset Mina. “I want you to forgive Momo.”

 

Mina scoffs, a flash of anger visible in her eyes. “Is this her idea? Because I don’t want to have anything to do -”

 

“No! She doesn’t know anything about this plan!” Jeongyeon swallowed, before a small incoherent cuss escaped her lips. “Nayeon asked me, on her behalf.”

 

Nayeon.

 

Even to this day, that name still left a bitter taste on her tongue - now, it only makes her stomach churn. 

 

“She can’t apologize properly, huh?”

 

“Nayeon knows you’re going to react like this.”

 

Mina grits her jaw; that was it.

 

Without a word, she gets up, giving a bow and a thank you before turning around to leave. Jeongyeon sighs, rubbing her face in exasperation as she leaves some notes on the table before making a chase to the retreating figure.

 

“Mina, wait!” 

 

She stops when Jeongyeon blocks her way, eyes glaring at the panting woman before her.

 

“Tzuyu met us the night before she left - she asked Nayeon for a favour!”

 

Mina’s expression softens at the mention of junior but she still maintains her sharp glare, and Jeongyeon takes her silence as a cue to continue her explanation.

 

“Nayeon knows you’re not going to listen to her, that’s why she’s giving a piece of her mind to Momo instead - yeah, you saw them earlier right? She wants to know the truth, because Momo never told us about this.” 

 

Mina’s eyebrows knitted in confusion. “You… didn’t know?”

 

“No, she never told us about that night. Heck, we didn’t even know you’re dating until Chaeng told us!” The tall woman huffs loudly, shaking her head. “You know how Momo is - she never thought it was our fault to begin with. “

 

A defeated sigh escaped Jeongyeon’s mouth, along with a small chortle. “Momo might be stupid in some ways, but she will never betray our friendship - nor your trust, Mina.”

 

Mina’s hand unconsciously holds her left chest - there was a skip of beat, one she hadn’t felt for a while. 

 

“Things might have been a mess, but there’s always a second chance.”

 

Mina didn’t say anything - didn’t get to say a thing because a car suddenly screeched to a stop by the sidewalk. Her face morphed into horror - she knows this cheap junk of a car with a Piplup sticker on the bumper.

 

Just as she suspected, a certain blonde jumped out of the mobile with a finger pointing at them.

 

“YAH! HANDS OFF, YOO JEONGYEON!”

 

“Geez, she really mirrors Nayeon in terms of possessiveness.”

 

Momo storms toward them, snatching Jeongyeon’s collar with so much force, the latter almost lifted off the ground. Jeongyeon merely raised her hands, despite the amused smile on her face. 

 

“Scared I would snatch your princess away, huh?”

 

Momo grits her teeth before pushing Jeongyeon on her chest, “You should worry about your girlfriend first.”

 

Jeongyeon’s forehead creases in worry from the mention of her girlfriend. Her eyes frantically wanders over Momo’s empty car. “Where’s Nayeon?”

 

“I left her.” A smirk. “By the side road.”

 

“You what?! Where?”

 

“I’m not really sure... you know how bad I am with roads.” She nonchalantly said.

 

Jeongyeon quickly runs to her car, not before shouting “I’ll get you later, Hirai!” while Momo pulls Mina by the arm and drags her into the car. 

 

“H-Hey!”

 

But Momo ignores her as she pushes Mina onto her seat and slams the door shut before running off to the driver’s seat.

 

Mina side-glared the driver - she’s committing a felony right now for kidnapping her - but seeing Momo’s expression made her mum. She bit her lip, head turning towards the window to see where they’re heading from the dim view. They drive in silence - it’s deja vu again, Mina thought - except this time their roles are reversed. Both of them are annoyed, but not so much for Mina when she knew about the misunderstanding. Her mind starts to drift back to her conversation with Jeongyeon and at one point she does feel stupid for not giving Momo a chance to explain.

 

“What did you talk about?”

 

Mina keeps herself still - only her fingers picking on the torn leather of the old seat.

 

“None of your business.”



A beat of silence, before she heard the clicking sound of a button being pressed. The car begins to be filled with another voice from the radio, and Mina can feel herself easing up.

 

“I don’t like seeing you with Jeongyeon.”

 

“I didn’t ask for your opinion.”

 

She heard Momo take a deep breath, and the car began to slow down, coming to a stop at the common convenience store. Momo didn’t say anything, only turning off the ignition before stepping out. Mina idly follows the silent blonde inside, watching curiously as Momo grabs whatever she sees on the aisle. 

 

Mina still tags behind her like a stray dog - she doesn’t know why, really - and it wasn’t until they stepped out of the store that she was offered a small cup of ice cream.

 

She takes it, eyeing the blonde squatting by the curb. 

 

“I had a talk with Nayeon-unnie.” Momo takes a bite of her ice lollies and she visibly cringes from the cold treat. “She was scolding me out of nowhere, that’s why I had to kick her out of the car right away.”

 

The blonde grins, causing a small snicker to escape Mina’s mouth. She pats the spot beside her but Mina ignores it. Instead, the vice president leans on the guard rail in front of the store - their distance separated by a light pole in the middle -  as she tears off the cover of her ice cream. 

 

It’s mint chocolate; her favourite.

 

“She was babbling nonsense the whole ride, but there was one thing she said that really sticks in my head.”

 

Mina can see the blonde standing on her feet from the corner of her eyes.

 

“She said to never let go of my dreams.”

 

Mina turns her head, and their eyes met. She sees it, a determined twinkle in Momo’s eyes, and she feels that warm sensation in her chest again. It was as if the words were directed to her. Despite knowing Momo’s aspiration to become a culinary master, her dream right now is Mina. 

 

“I know you’re hurt, and I know a thousand apologies won’t be enough, but...” Momo her lips, and she takes a step forward. “I’m really sorry I made you cry.”

 

Mina made a promise to herself she won’t shed another tear for this blonde again. But here she is, breaking that pledge exactly in front of the source of her heartache, her heartbreak. She ducks her head low, trying to hide the tears, her hand about to wipe the betraying droplets away from her face.

 

But a foreign palm touches her cheek, thumb gently wiping the tears flowing freely from her eyes. Mina keeps her eyelids shut, relishing on the comforting, flittering movement of calloused fingers caressing her skin.  

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

The voice was close, she can feel warm breaths near her lips. But she's afraid to open her eyes.

 

She’s afraid to fall again. Because Momo made her fall easily, effortlessly, and Mina is scared to experience the euphoric feeling, only to be hurt once more. 

 

Again, Mina's body betrays her when hands slithers their way over her waist, her back, embracing her whole being into a mush of indescribable feeling. 

 

She lets herself loose, let tears fall freely on the worn down graphic shirt smelled of cheap fabric, let her face buried deeply on beating chest, let her frail and exhausted state be embraced with strong, welcoming hands. 

 

Mina let herself be, just this once - let her be coddled, comforted, by the blonde.

 

They stayed like that for a while, minutes forgotten, only the presence of the other being acknowledged. Momo was the one to pull away - despite the light tug of protest - but she keeps their distance close, hands lingering on Mina’s arms. 

 

The blonde fixes Mina’s hair, lips curling up. “You look like a hag.”

 

“Shut up.” She hits Momo’s chest, earning a small cry and a chortle; a cute sound she can never get enough of.

 

“Can I... can we start again?”

 

Hearing those words made her heart sink. A flashback suddenly plays in her mind, of their conversation in the car the other day. Mina looks up, the blonde sheepishly rubs her nape, eyes straying to the ground. 

 

“Momo.” The latter’s quivering gaze fell on her, and Mina saw the hesitation flickering behind dark brown eyes, but also anticipation - and sincerity. “What do you mean?”

 

The blonde releases a soft breath, hands unconsciously squeezing her arms. “Let’s be friends - properly, this time?”

 

To say she wasn’t disappointed is a lie, but it’s the safest direction they’re heading. Mina wouldn’t want what they had to disappear anyway; Momo’s presence alone is precious to her.

 

Maybe Jeongyeon was right; there’s always a second chance.

 

She frees herself from Momo, slowly backtracking with hands behind her waist to create a distance between them. She almost giggles from Momo’s dejected look, but maintains a straight face before stretching her arm outwards.

 

Momo’s crestfallen face morphs into a wide grin within seconds, taking Mina’s gesture as a handshake for their declaration of truce… only to receive the cover of an ice cream cup.

 

“Yaah! What’s this?” She whines when her hand is smudged with the remains of melted chocolate cream.

 

“Buy me another one.” Mina juts her chin to the store, “You talk too much, I didn’t get to finish it now it’s melted.”

 

She deliberately pouts - she hears Momo’s small gasp - and the blonde quickly zooms inside the convenience store in a snap, frantically running to the freezer. 

 

Mina giggled to herself, a hand on her chest - and she felt it. How light her chest is, the hurt slowly dissipating with every beat. She glances inside the store, a small smile forming at the sight of the blonde.

 

Please, don’t break my trust again.

 

*



Momo rubs her nose dry with a tissue, snots dripping down. She regrets eating ice cream late at night, added with the cold weather. It didn’t help that she had to finish the remaining of Mina’s ice cream, just because the girl was full.

 

A smile unconsciously makes its way to her face.

 

“Unnie, your red nose doesn’t look well with your creepy grin.” Dahyun grimaced, “You look high.”

 

Momo shot a glare at the girl beside her, forgetting the latter’s presence for a second. “Ahh, maybe I shouldn’t have agreed to follow you and head to the cafeteria instead because I’m really hungry -”

 

“No! I’m sorry, unnie! I promised I’ll buy you breakfast, right right?” The junior panicly rubs both hands towards Momo, only to earn a noogie on her head, causing her to shriek with more apologies. 

 

“You shouldn’t tease people when they’re offering to help you.”

 

“Yes, yes! I’m sorry, Momo-unnie~” 

 

Dahyun prolongs the word, making a cute grin with both palms rubbing together as Momo giggles from her adorable face. She pats the spot she nudged earlier before wrapping an arm over the junior’s shoulder. Their tandem steps slowed when they neared a table, another Japanese sitting alone while writing on her notes. 

 

Momo sees the way Dahyun stiffens, her face blanched. She taps the junior’s chest a few times, a motion for encouragement.

 

“You got this, buddy. It’s now or never.”

 

Dahyun gulps, before giving Momo a firm nod. With robot-like movement, she walks towards the table with Momo guiding her stiff back. As they stop by the occupied table, a pair of curious caramel eyes greet them.

 

“Sana-unnie, c-can we talk?”

 

Momo caught her bestfriend’s gaze, giving a small nod and a reassured smile. Biting her lip, Sana gestured for both of them to take a seat on the opposite bench. Momo was about to excuse herself, only to be stopped by both of them - one desperately begging her to stay while the other wears her puppy shiba-inu eyes, pushing a leftover energy bar as bait.

 

“You can stay, Momo. Just - please, stay?” Sana gives her a pout, staring hopefully at her. With a sigh, Momo reluctantly joins them while trying her best to mind her own business.

 

Who is she kidding? She’s on the front row for the most anticipated, exclusive content of a love triangle turns awry - of course she’s going to an ear on their conversation.

 

Sadly, she was served nothing exclusive. 

 

Only a few apologies and Dahyun coming clean about her deep crush on Sana, which was old news by now. But the way these two take things so well just shows how much they value each other, as bestfriends. Momo is glad Sana finally gained back the precious friendship she had with Dahyun because these two play well together.

 

Yes, Momo is just tired of handling Sana’s hyper sometimes, she needs a sacrifice that is willing to handle the ball of sunshine, now that Tzuyu is out of town.

 

Her eyes squint from the reflection of the blue pendant hanging on a silver string around Sana’s neck. Finally, she has the guts to wear it. Tzuyu might have been clueless about it - she’s been asking Momo about the fate of the necklace since she landed in Taiwan - but the recent selcas Sana uploaded on her twistagram might have hinted to the younger that it is finally in the hand of its rightful owner. 

 

Momo looks at her childhood friend with a smile; an envious one.

 

If only she had the same ending with Mina, things would have been different for them. But Momo believes the decision she made last night was the best. She might have lost Mina as her lover, but at least she still has Mina in her life - even as a friend, nothing more.

 

“You’re a precious person, Dahyunnie. I hope you’ll find someone more deserving of your affection, some day.”

 

Momo could feel the sincerity in Sana’s voice and gaze as she says the words, the junior wiping her teary eyes with a smile. No, she wasn’t in pain, but more of relief. This tofu girl is so sentimental, she could cry a river and gushes about a kind act just by someone picking up a fallen pen for her.

 

“Actually, I was going to talk about that.” Dahyun squeezed her eyes shut, taking a deep breath before releasing it with a loud huff. 

 

“I think I like Chaeyoung.”

 

The childhood friends blink in tandem, followed by a loud “EHHHHHH???”

 

Dahyun quickly clamps their mouths shut with her hands, giving awkward smiles to the other students that heard the loud cry in the area before glaring at the two twin-like seniors. Her pale face turns into disgust when Momo her palm, immediately freeing the blonde to speak.

 

“Yah, seriously? You and Chaeng - ehhhh???”

 

“Hold on, Dahyun. You just - aish… Yah, are you kidding me?” Sana scoffs, throwing her pen on the table in annoyance. “You just admitted to have a crush on me. Now, it’s Chaeyoung all of a sudden?”

 

Dahyun lets out a deep sigh, fingers massaging her temple in exasperation. “Unnies, could you calm down first? Let me talk, please!”

 

Both of them shut their mouths and lean forward, chins rested on their palms as they excitedly wait for the junior to explain. 

 

“Well, Tzuyu had long been hinting about Chaeyoung’s little secret crush on me. I thought she was just teasing us - or more like rubbing salt to my wounded pride because…” She gestured to Sana, a fake smile on her face. “But the more I thought about it, it’s as if the light had shone upon the mixed signals Chaeng had been sending me.”

 

The covered sun suddenly shines on Dahyun while Momo and Sana eagerly nod to every word, taking the ‘blessed’ fair girl’s story with deep interest. 

 

“It was confusing at first, until that day when we had a fight in the library…"

 

The blonde is the first to react, a loud gasp escapes . “Ehhh?! You got into a fight with our Chaengie?”

 

“Well, it was -" Dahyun rubs her nape, unsure if she should go into detail, but decides it’s best to leave out the part where the fight ensued due to a certain shiba inu sitting before her. “It was something trivial, really… We had an outburst and Chaeyoung ignored me, until now.”

 

“Are you sure it’s trivial? That cub rarely gets angry, especially if it’s about you.”

 

Momo tries to reason, having her own fair share of theorising with Tzuyu about Chaeyoung’s secret crush in the past. She sees Dahyun’s eyes hesitating and straying to Sana - just from the action alone Momo can deduce it has something to do with the tall couple. 

 

“What makes you think you’re starting to like Chaeyoung?” The blonde tries to avert the topic, but it only makes Dahyun’s frown to grow.

 

“I don’t know... I thought I was just missing her spontaneous chat of memes and song recommendations, or the usual cute doodles and art reviews she shared with me. You know how Chaeyoung is! She always spams everyone with her texts.” No, Momo doesn't because Chaeyoung never reply to any of her texts, even if she did it would be days already.

Dahyun paused, an apologetic look directed to Sana. “I thought I still have feelings for you, unnie. But the nights you spent in my room, Chaeyoung was the only person in my head... I couldn't stop thinking about her, even when you’re with me, Sana-unnie.”

 

Sana gives Momo a sad look, the blonde pouting back - before she takes Dahyun’s hand in hers. “Do you miss her?”

 

“I do... I miss her a lot.” Her lower lip trembles, and the seniors cooed before pulling Dahyun into a hug.

 

“Awww, our precious dubu has finally grown up!”

 

“So what do you want to do now?”

 

Dahyun pulls away, wiping her tears with a napkin before nodding with a determined gaze. “I’m going to confess to Chaeng.”

 

“Oh. Wait, what?”

 

“Oh! That’s a great idea!”

 

Momo slaps Sana on the lap, only for the latter to return her disapproved look with an excited grin. It’s comical how these two share the same braincell with different levels of understanding between them. 

 

“But I don’t know what to do, unnie.” Dahyun pouts, only to receive a clap from the tallest of them all.

 

“Don’t worry, Dahyun-ah! I have the perfect plan for that, hihi...”

 

*

 

A few days later, came the dreadful confession day. 

 

What Dahyun thought was the greatest decision she ever made, was actually a blunder. Who even had the straight mind to ask advice from Sana and Momo in the first place? 

 

Well, she did.

 

The doubtful look Mina shoots her just confirms her qualms of resorting to those two seniors for a well-planned confession about to turn wrong.

 

“I’m having second thoughts about this.” Mina quips to her native friends, and one particular shiba-inu who is in an exaggerated giddy state, only lets out an excited giggle from the vice president’s comment.

 

Momo, on the other hand, wants to bury her head in a hole. Maybe that trash can in the corner would suffice because what the hell is a flower stage with colorful fairy lights doing in the middle of the cafeteria???

 

“If you’re thinking of revoking the permit for this whole... plan, I fully support you.” The blonde whispered to Mina, only to gain a disapproved groan from Sana.

 

“I sacrificed a lot for this, so DON’T. YOU. DARE.” She warns them before skipping to main character of the event, an arm wrapped over the latter’s taut shoulder. “Are you ready, Dahyunnie?”

 

“Can I - Can I bail out from this?” She gulped, only to receive a deadly glare from the squirrel.

 

“You’ve come this far, Kim Dahyun! Do not disappoint me, soldier!”

 

“H-Hait!”

 

Suddenly, the door of the cafeteria opens, and the smol figure they’ve been expecting came walking in with her usual funky steps, oblivious of the grim fate about to befall her. 

 

“Oh, oh! She’s here! Quick - to the stage, Dahyun-ah!”

 

Dahyun was forced up the stage with a microphone, gaining thumbs up from Sana before she directed Momo (who’s in charge of the PA system) to hit the beat. Muttering a small prayer, the blonde hesitantly pressed play.

 

The beat starts playing, and Dahyun puts on her star-shaped toy sunglasses, posing to no one on the stage from her blind state.

 

“Son Chaeyoung!” 

 

Dahyun screams into the mic, catching the cub shocked, and terrified. She looks up at the stage that she didn’t even realize was there in the first place, a finger pointing to herself. 

 

“Yeah, you! This is for you!”

 

 

I LUV IT I LUV IT I LUV IT (Oh yes)

I LUV IT I LUV IT I LUV IT (Yoohoo)

I LUV IT I LUV IT I LUV IT (I LUV IT)

mansaga da okeiya eojeolssigu ongheya

 

 

Chaeyoung had slackened, jaws agape wide from seeing Dahyun on the stage, making hand-heart, finger-heart, flying kiss-heart... whatever it is she’s doing that renders the cub speechless and visibly horrified. It made her even more terror-stricken when the girl with fair complexion jumped down the stage, walking towards her with those high-fashion poses and lip-biting gestures.

 

“What the hell is happening?!” 

 

The poor Chaeyoung shouts to no one, seeing as everyone is clapping and cheering along to the beat while Dahyun is still making those weird heart flexes and eye-winking. 

 

Feeling considerate (despite being embarrassed too) Momo walks over to Chaeyoung and slings a hand over the appalled picasso-wannabe. “That my friend, is the girl you’re crushing on.”

 

Chaeyoung almost scream when Dahyun suddenly bent her waist forward, hands flapping like a bird. She turns to Momo, grabbing and shaking the blonde’s shoulder in distress.

 

“Unnie, I don’t know her!”

 

“Get a hold of yourself, Chaeyoung-ah!”

 

“ANDWAEEE!!!”

 

The pale girl suddenly appears between them, pushing Momo away as she takes the latter’s spot, her eyes gazing into Chaeyoung’s with so much intensity as if her wacky performance before didn’t just happen.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah.”

 

“W-What?”

 

“Do you know what I’m made of?”

 

Chaeyoung blinked back, dumbfounded. “Uh, no?” 

 

“Girlfriend material!” She shouted into the mic, “Accept my love, my ChaengChaeng!”

 

The crowd went wild again, with banners and placards popping up with a huge DubChaeng written in markers and their faces taped together in a failed artwork. 

 

“I DON’T KNOW YOU!” The cub shouts, bewildered as she turns around to leave the place, only for Dahyun to grab her arm.

 

“Wait, Chaeng.” She pulls her closer. “I haven’t kissed you yet.”

 

“MWOH?! Yah! I don’t know you - no one kiss a stranger anyway!”

 

“That’s okay, we can be the first! Why don’t we do all ‘’firsts” together, eh?” 

 

Dahyun wiggles her eyebrows with puckered lips and out of her shy reflex Chaeyoung punches her straight on the face, causing the pale girl to stumble dramatically to the floor. She flips her long hair towards the cub, an exaggerated pout etched on her face.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah… you blek (break) nae hearteu.” She said in broken english, the hand heart she made breaks into two. 

 

“I HATE YOUUUU!” The cub shrieks, sprinting off from the cafeteria while Dahyun quickly dashes after her.

 

“BRO WHY ARE YOU RUNNING AWAY WHEN WE CAN ELOPE TOGETHER???”

 

The students begin to disperse as the red-eared cub escapes the cafeteria, the eagle squawking for her attention. Momo snorts in disbelief as she joins the group by the stage, all of them huddled around Jihyo who’s holding a handheld camcorder - a property of the student council that becomes a charity asset in the hand of GodJihyo.

 

“I can’t believe you guys were a part of this.” Jihyo is still laughing her off as she replayed the scene recorded.

 

“I can’t believe you recorded everything!” Sana barks excitedly, earning a shrug from the latter. “Give me a copy, bestie.”

 

Jihyo smirks, switching to her business mode. “What are you offering?”

 

“Hey, hey... I’m the master planner. I have every right to own a copy.”

 

“NO~ WAY~” Jihyo said in a singsong voice, further taunting Sana. 

 

“Tch, give me that.” 

 

Sana was about to snatch the device, but Jihyo was fast to pull her arm away, only to be knocked right on the chest with Sana’s elbow. She feigns a loud gasp with wide eyes, further proving her similarity with Thomas the train.

 

“Did you just…?” Jihyo scoffs dramatically with an offended face, before taking out her phone and scrolls through the contact lists. “I’m reporting this to Tzuyu.”

 

“Y-Yah! Don’t you dare!”

 

Momo watches incredulously as her friends fight over the camcorder, proclaiming their love for Tzuyu’s unconditional but invisible affection. Her eyes glance to the side, the vice president currently paying attention to her ringing phone. 

 

She saw the mild annoyance in Mina’s face, before it changed back to the neutral front she always wears. Mina been getting frequent calls lately, just like that day Tzuyu left. She was anticipating that serious talk - after Mina’s countless rejections to listen -  but the call was apparently more important. 

 

She still remembers, the same expression flashes through Mina’s face when she answers the phone. There’s a nagging feeling at the back of her head that wants to ask about it, but then Momo realized her place - she doesn’t have the right to, not after everything. 

 

As if hearing her thoughts, Mina turns to her. Momo was taken aback when the vice president flashes her a smile, before walking away from the noisy crowd, still on the phone.

 

The blonde touches her thudding chest, lips curling up.

 

*

 

The heat from the restaurant’s kitchen is really getting to Momo. She’s already drenched all over and to be in between two junior cooks who were so excited to learn the secret to making the ‘fire-induced dragon wok hei’ just makes the heat unbearable.

 

“I know it’s fun playing with fire, but not every dish needs to have that burnt taste.”

 

She chided them softly when it was overbearing, and they apologized profusely to the blonde with repeated bows. It was such a short notice when Shindong suddenly requested Momo to take the pair under her tutelage just when she started working again. He addressed them as slackers because truth to be told, Momo caught them many times playing around with food, taking a break in the back for every half an hour, or just plainly staring at the food in the oven with deep fascination on their face.

 

It didn’t help that they are her juniors in college, too. 

 

It feels great to be back in the kitchen after weeks of playing hookie, but her body still needs a little bit of adjusting to the hectic hours. Momo decides it’s time for her break when she sees the pair of slackers slowly losing focus and getting bored over peeling a bunch of potatoes.

 

Just as she refills her water bottle to bring along to the staff's resting area in the back alley, a part timer calls for her from the back door.

 

“Momo-sunbae! There’s people looking for you!”

 

Her forehead knits together as she takes a swig of the cold water, grimacing at the plain taste before making her way to the door. Her eyes widened in confusion from seeing two familiar faces sitting by the picnic table, both of them whispering in harsh voices before taking in her presence.

 

“Momo-yah!” Jihyo greets her as she nears them, standing within earshot. “Are you busy right now?”

 

“Lucky you, just having my break right now.” She stated, sneaking a glance to the other person avoiding her eyes. “Are you here for lunch? There are empty tables inside, I can ask them to prepare one for you guys.”

 

Momo offered but Jihyo was quick to refuse, “No, it’s fine! We want to have a discussion with you - just a short one, if you don’t mind?”

 

“Uh, about what?” The blonde gives Jihyo a quizzical look.

 

“The Gala night.” The silent penguin finally speaks, sliding a clip of papers on the table towards her. 

 

Momo seemingly had forgotten about the last, most important event of their college year because it doesn’t pose any importance to her, having so much stuff to juggle about for the final year. 

 

“We’re wondering if the restaurant would like to sponsor us for the refreshments.”

 

Momo scratches her neck as she reads some of the content. “Well, I’m not the right person to ask…” She looks up, only to be met with hopeful faces of the two, “But since Shindong-oppa is currently out of town, I guess I can talk to him in your place.”

 

“Great! I know we can count on you, Momoring~”

 

Jihyo prolongs the word, earning a grimace from the owner of the name. They invite Momo to take a seat, but she politely rejects.

 

“I’ll just stand here, since…” Momo gestures to her wet shirt and sweaty appearance sheepishly, earning a scoff from Jihyo.

 

“Nonsense! It’s going to be a while and I know you’re tired.”

 

Momo still contemplates but then she sees the small movement Mina makes, scooting away on the bench to make another vacant spot to sit as she gives the cook an expectant look. With a sigh, Momo sits down, not before muttering a small apology. 

 

They give the blonde a short briefing of what they expected from the restaurant, Momo taking in every important detail attentively because if she misses even a tiny point, she would be the one to blame later. 

 

But how can she focus when Mina is the one talking, explaining things with her serious expression and small pout resembling a penguin that makes Momo fall in love again? 

 

She was almost caught counting the moles on Mina's face, if not for Jihyo giving a question on her behalf (she saw Jihyo's smirk after that, no doubt). After a lot of fighting herself for the past unbearable twenty minutes, they finally finished the discussion and Momo is quick to stand, but not before offering them lunch.

 

“Can I make you guys anything? You haven’t had lunch yet, right?”

 

“Well, I have.” Jihyo replied, only to give a smirking glance to the stoic vice president across from her. “But not this penguin here... she actually skipped breakfast.”

 

Jihyo whispered the last sentence, earning a kick under the table from the frowning penguin. Momo releases a defeated sigh, shaking her head disapprovingly. “What should I do with you…” 

 

“Apparently she misses your cooking, too.”

 

“Yah, Jihyo! That’s not part of the deal!”

 

Momo gives a look to the two bestfriends exchanging subtle looks, “What deal?”

 

“Oh, nothing.” There’s mirth in Jihyo’s voice, and Mina is casting her a pleading look to stop talking but the former ignores it. “Mina asked me to accompany her, in place of her admitting that she misses your cooking.”

 

“Jihyo!” The vice president hisses, but her friend is undeterred by the latter’s unprovoked warning, letting out a laugh of victory from the faint tinge painting Mina’s cheeks.

 

Momo gave her a look, and Mina caught the warm gaze and small smile directed to her. 

 

“It’s not a crime to admit that, you know?” The blonde said with a teasing smirk, before walking away to the door. “I’ll make something simple for you both so stay there!” 

 

The cook warns them as she disappears into the door, unaware of the giddy steps and cheerful hums she’s making which earns Momo weird stares from her fellow workers in the kitchen. 

 

*

 

Momo cracks her neck left and right, exhaustion slowly seeping in through every strand of muscles in her body. It’s one of those nights where the customers suddenly come barging in like hungry animals and fill the place to the brim, ordering all sorts of food for them to make. It’s quite fortunate that they have new hands helping in the kitchen, despite being called 'slackers' by everyone because for once, they area actually being useful in the kitchen. 

 

She stretches her arms in delight as she reaches the door of her room, only for her phone to start blaring a ringtone of NICO NICO NI~. Momo fishes the device from her pocket but her tired arm decided to cramp itself, making it difficult for the blonde to answer the call.

 

“Hello, who’s this?” She said after fumbling with the screen, missing the name of the caller. 

 

“Hello, Momo? It’s Mina...” 

 

She almost squeaked from the familiar soft voice, clumsily fishing for her set of keys in the sling bag. “Um, are you busy?”

 

Apparently Momo was being so noisy to the point that the caller heard a lot of rustling and keys jingling in the background.

 

“No, I’m good! I just got back - OWW!”

 

She silently cursed the edge of the bed for stubbing her tiny toe, only to hear the worried voice from the other side.

 

“A-Are you alright? Is this a bad time to call?”

 

“Mina, no! I’m good, I’m good! Just - give me a moment!”

 

Momo quickly flings her bag, jacket and whatever restraining her to the floor before letting out a breath, slumping heavily on her bed. “Okay, you can talk now.”

 

There was a beat, before a faint sound of sigh welcomed her. 

 

“Do you have any plans this weekend?”

 

Momo recalls her schedule for the week while pulling off her pair of Monster’s Inc. socks, “None that I’m aware of, other than my shift at the restaurant.”

 

“Oh, right.” 

 

"But I have a flexible shift, so my hands are practically free if needed."

 

Another silence greets her, and Momo has to do a double take to make sure the line is still connected. 

 

“Say… what do you think about having dinner together, this Saturday?”

 

The blonde blinks, pulling the phone away again for dramatic effect before releasing a loud gasp into the receiver. 

 

“Are you asking me out on a date, Myoui?!” 

 

She heard a deep sigh, “I’m only asking for dinner, Hirai… and it’s not just both of us.”

 

“Right, of course! There’s waiters and other customers too, silly me..." Momo laughs when she hears Mina’s inaudible groan in the back. “Well, who’s the extra company?”

 

“My parents.”

 

“Omo, your parents?” A gasp escaped her lips, “So we’re skipping the date and getting straight to marriage proposal? Is this a secret custom of the Myoui clan I never know of,  because I’m absolutely on board with this.”

 

“Stop exaggerating, Hirai.”

 

“But this is your parents we’re talking about! I should be exaggerating!”

 

“Not to that extent... and my family is not related to the yakuza, mind you.” 

 

“Ooohhh… am I supposed to be frightened, or terrified with that?”

 

“Those two are similar things, Momo.”  She can imagine the penguin rolling her eyes, a small chortle escaping her lips. “My parents are in town this week and I just need someone to accompany me for dinner. That’s it.”

 

Momo chews her lip. It’s a really tempting offer, it’s not always she comes across a free meal from a well-rounded family like Mina, expecting at least a 5-star restaurant they’re going to dine in. 

 

Oh, just imagining the exquisite and exclusive full course meal about to be served makes salivate.

 

But that’s where the problem lies - she’s having dinner, with Mina-godforsaken-Myoui’s parents! Who in the right mind would agree to that?

 

“Can’t you find someone else? What about Jihyo? She’s a shikshin, right? She won’t refuse free dinner.”

 

“That’s the problem…” Mina’s voice was almost a whine, “I actually told them about you.”

 

“Me?” She snorted, “Why would you tell them about me unless we’re dating-” Momo’s disbelief chuckle slowly faded when she realized what Mina was implying. “Oh.”

 

“Sorry, this was a mistake-” 

 

“I’ll go!”

 

“-I’ll find someone else… eh?”

 

“I will go,” Momo breathed out. “But I have a request.”

 

She didn’t know what got into her, she just blurted that out without thinking. She holds her breath, anticipating Mina’s response while her mind starts to come up with a reasonable idea for that request she asked.

 

“Fine.” Momo slowly exhales in relief, “I’ll text you the details later.”

 

The line ends, and Momo instantly regrets the hasty decision she just made. Her body slumps backward towards the bed, hand wearily rubbing her face with a groan.

 

“What have you gotten yourself into, Momo-yah?”

 

*

 

Clammy hands, check.

 

Hoarse throat, check.

 

Heart pounding, check.

 

Feeling as if she needed the loo, check.

 

What else should she expect when meeting the parents of her crush, still-pursuing lover-turned-ex for a dinner, in her friend’s EAT WITH YOO restaurant? Definitely not Nayeon, obviously.

 

If Momo was grumbling a few hours earlier for not getting the 5-star cuisine she’s been envisioning in her sleep the past few nights, right now she’s suddenly overcome with all sorts of dubious feelings once she steps out of the car, her legs almost giving out when she sees the double door of Jeongyeon’s family restaurant. Just the thought of Mina’s parents makes her tremble, imagine when she’s meeting them later… acting as Mina’s girlfriend, nonetheless.

 

Oh, the horror. 

 

She just hopes she wouldn’t throw up the contents of her lunch on the dining table, or her head would be served on the table as well.

 

“Why are you standing there like you're about to piss your pants?”

 

Momo squealed when a hand taps her, only to let out a breath of relief from Mina’s presence. “Yah, you scared me.”

 

“I was calling your name but you’re spacing out.”

 

“Ah, really?” Momo rubs her nape sheepishly, but then her eyes fall on Mina, and her breath stops.

 

She takes in Mina’s profile - a light makeup of reddish tint lips with bangs covering her forehead (her heart almost drops at that), dark brown shoulder-length hair tied in half, adorning a simple flowery -colored dress with sparkly belt.

 

Everything about the vice president just screams gorgeous with a touch of sophisticated softness, whatever that means. Momo's always rambling out nonsense when it comes to the penguin, it's the "Mina effect" they said.

 

“Have enough staring yet?”

 

Momo almost choked on her spit from Mina’s glare, but she maintains her coolness by flashing a smile. “May I know, what pleasure do I owe for having to meet a beautiful woman looking so amazing and wonderful tonight?”

 

“My parents.” Mina deadpans, and the blonde’s smile drops. 

 

“No need to remind me of that.” Momo muttered under her breath, all the while fixing her clothes through the reflection on the window of a random stranger’s car. 

 

However, she is rendered speechless when Mina pulls her closer, spins her around to face the shorter-by-inch vice president as the latter checks her attire for the night. She holds her breath, eyes trailing every movement Mina makes as the latter fixes the collar of her leather jacket over beige turtleneck sweater tucked in high-waist dark blue jeans, followed by a pleased hum at the sight of the pair of black ankle boots. 

 

“That,” Mina points to her boot-clad feet. “is a nice upgrade.”

 

Momo scoffs, but doesn't move when Mina’s hand reaches for her hair. “What a way to boost my confidence.”

 

A smile reaches Mina’s lips, a teasing one. “You look presentable - as compared to our first date.”

 

Momo sighs on purpose, “And after I had been bribed by Sana too for her new boots…” 

 

At the same time Mina steps backwards, a satisfied grin on her face after fixing the curls of Momo’s messy tendrils. “You look great, I’m sure my parents will love it.”

 

Then, she pouts. “But what about her daughter?”

 

Momo swears she can see a tinge of red covering Mina’s already blemished cheeks, but the latter had already turned around towards the door, not without mumbling a soft, “You’re Momo, everything you wear looks nice.”

 

A wide grin etches on the blonde's face, before she catches up with Mina. As they stop by the receptionist, Momo's ninja hand grabs a stalk of pink rose in a vase of flower bouquet and presents it to her partner for the night.

 

“Did you just steal that from the reception table?”

 

“I’m sure Jeongyeon got dozens of them stored in the back.” She shrugged, wearing a charming smile that would have swoon any girl off their feet, except for Mina. The girl merely shakes her head, whispering a small thank you before leading them to their table. 

 

She cranes her neck upwards, happily grinning as she catches Mina sniffing the rose with a smile on her face.

 

“Anything I should be briefed about before meeting your parents?” Momo asks as she slips herself beside the vice president who's searching for a specific table.

 

“Just,” Mina gives her a glance, the blonde catching the worried look she has. “follow my lead... and don’t do anything stupid, please.”

 

“Yes, maam.” Momo salutes, thinking it is the easiest, most simple instruction she had ever heard in her entire life. Oh, how wrong she was when she saw a man taking a sip of his wine, listening attentively to his wife talking beside him, before casting them a glance - his eyes now glinting in recognition.

 

Momo narrows her eyes. She has seen his face before, perhaps a hundred times in front of the television - and her heart starts racing. 

 

Eh, chotto matte…!” She grabs Mina’s arm, stopping the girl with a nervous look. “You are Chef Myoui’s daughter? The ‘Master Chef’ Myoui?”

 

Mina giggles from the blonde’s surprised face. “We don’t look alike, do we?”

 

“But, he’s - you’re Myoui… then - Yah, you never told me who your father is!”

 

“You never ask.” Mina simply replied, before greeting her parents with a hug, leaving Momo standing awkwardly like a broken robot at the side. 

 

She thought she was being ignored, and perhaps, this is the best chance for an escape - only her brain was working so slow that moment, the man was already standing before her, reaching out a hand for a handshake. 

 

In a state of panic, she squeaks.

 

“You’re… squeaking?”

 

“I did? I mean, you must have heard the lizards.” She laughs sheepishly, before taking his hand and gives a deep bow. 

 

“It is an honour to meet you, Myoui-ssi “Master Chef”-san!” Momo blurts out under one breath in a mixture of english, korean and japanese.

 

It must have been awkward for them because suddenly the place turns silent, even the sound of cutleries clacking was nonexistent in the background. Then, Mina’s imaginary voice starts whispering across her ears, reminding the latter’s advice to her earlier - she begins to sweat.

 

“Don’t do anything stupid, you peasant.”

 

She can feel Mina’s glare shooting across her body straight to her heart, slowly breaking every inch of her bones and burning every strand of her muscles - only to hear a gruff laugh, followed by the quaking of their joined hands. 

 

“I heard a lot about you from Mina, but I thought she was just exaggerating!” The man pats Momo’s shoulder as she straightens up, “You really are an interesting person, Hirai-san!”

 

Mr Myoui is still laughing at her, his disappearing slanted eyes already teary, while his wife smiles fondly by his side, giving Momo a warm look and a small nod before pulling her for a hug. She caught Mina at the back, a hand covering half of her face, but the crinkle in her eyes showed she’s having just as much fun as her father is.

 

“P-Please, just Momo is fine, sir.”

 

“Alright, Momo it is then.” He smiles back at her, before gesturing for them to take a seat. 

 

The blonde shares a wary glance with Mina, the latter giving her an assuring look and a slight nod. Momo finally takes a deep breath, a relieving one, because the Myoui is thankfully not a yakuza clan. Instead, Mina’s father is the renowned chef that Momo had always looked upon to, especially after taking the title of Master Chef a few years back.

 

He's Momo inspiration and to meet him in real-life seems surreal.

 

“So, Momo…”

 

“Yes sir?” Her head almost immediately snapped to the man sitting across from her, and she didn’t miss the subtle playful smile etched on the old couple’s lips.

 

“Japanese or korean?”

 

“H-Hait..?”

 

“Or do you prefer english?” 

 

The man said in a perfect american accent, and Momo gulped, turning to Mina as she squeaked (again) for help.  

 

“Papa, please…”

 

Mr Myoui raises his hands, his laugh still lingers from seeing the flabbergasted state of the blonde before clearing his throat, muttering a small apology when his wife reprimands him with a glare.

 

“Would you recommend some dishes for us?” He begins to converse in their mother tongue language when the waiter comes, motioning the man in bow tie to give the menu book to the unsuspecting blonde. “I heard you’re a regular here.”

 

“If only my wallet allowed me to...” She literally murmured to herself, but unfortunately the couple heard her struggle loud and clear. Aware of being heard, Momo clears . “I-I mean, only on certain occasions, sir. I mostly dine here if my friend’s paying - and by that friend, I’m addressing the daughter of the owner.”

 

“Oh, you mean the one with the colorful hair?”

 

Momo snorts, imagining Jeongyeon’s hair that changes color according to the season of the month. “You’ve met Jeongyeon?”

 

“Yes, that Yoo’s youngest kid - Jeongyeon was her name! I’ve eaten here once, and the food was amazing!” He exclaims, hands clapping together. “Sadly it was just a one time dish they made. I brought my wife here the other day to have the same meal, but the taste wasn’t the same at all.” 

 

“Oh, he was gushing about it the whole ride here, only to be disappointed with the food. He was pouting all the way back - I even had to drive us back to the hotel because of his tantrum!” Mina’s mother cuts in with a displeased shake of her head, only to earn another joyful laughter from the renowned chef.

 

“If only you had a taste of that brined salmon they served, honey... You would be mind blown!”

 

“But I didn’t and so did the girls! Now, stop talking about that goddamn fish and start ordering food, will you?”

 

Mina suddenly gives her a look, but being the oblivious girl she is, Momo just returns back a smile, leaning closer with a small whisper. “Did you know what they’re talking about?”

 

Momo might be a japanese born, but she’s been in South Korea for more than four years now, so it's hard to get herself adapted with the native language - she’s never good with multi-tasking. Not to mention, they were talking too fast, she had a hard time catching on. 

 

She sees the way Mina sighs, the latter shaking her head and whispering back. “Have you decided what to eat yet? You can order anything - it’s on us.”

 

And Momo’s eyes sparkle at that as she grabs the menu and scans the full course meal they’re offering tonight. 

 

The dinner was surprisingly fun and enjoyable. Mr Myoui was laughing with every word Momo said despite the blonde not doing anything funny while his wife is asking her so many questions about her home in Japan (“I’ll make sure to visit your home, Momo - I can’t wait to be friends with your mother!” and the blonde is dreading that the most, despite politely giving her mother’s number to the latter).

 

As for their daughter?

 

Momo was awe-struck again because for the first time since their fight, she managed to make the usually serious-looking Mina laugh, exposing her adorable gummy-smile that Momo misses so much. She wants to take a picture of Mina’s laugh (she needs an addition to the desolated gallery of Miss Penguin’s picture - the one she saved from before), but that seems inappropriate with her parents across the table. So she tries to imprint as much as she can of Mina’s features in her brain, afraid that this will be the last time the vice president is putting her guard down before the cold front makes a comeback.

 

Other than being softly scolded (she wonders if all of the Myouis is an epitome of softness and elegance) for being so uptight, polite and formal with them, Momo feels as if it wasn't the first time they're meeting. They don't exude the extravagant sophistication that their name holds, which is exactly the opposite of what Momo had predicted. In a way, she's glad she got to meet Mina's parents - especially when she's a huge fan of one of them.

 

Mina's mother excused herself to the toilet, the daughter offering to accompany her and Momo's eyes followed the two, only to stop when she heard Mr Myoui’s loud snort.

 

"Can't take your eyes off of my daughter, huh?"

 

Momo was clearly taken aback, fumbling on her words to apologize to the man, but he laughs instead.

 

"You truly are an interesting one. No wonder Mina is so adamant on rejecting the suitors I found for her."

 

Momo's forehead scrunched together, a distaste feeling building up in at the mention of 'suitors'.

 

"To tell you the truth, I was having doubts about this dinner." Mr Myoui wipes his lips as he finishes the last bite of chocolate fondue shared with his wife. "It was her mother's idea, she wants to meet the person that finally manages to catch Mina's eyes."

 

Momo keeps shut because her grandmother always said to listen when an elderly speaks and not to talk back - and she feels it is fitting in this situation when Mr Myoui is wearing a forlorn look rather than the easy-going expression he had before.

 

"I've been forcing, edging, Mina to meet her suitors, because she's already at that age to find a good person to live with... I just never knew she already found one that suits her." The man chuckles, more to himself as he gulps the remainder of his wine, letting a loud sigh from it. 

 

"This wine tasted so good - I think I made the right decision tonight." He raised the empty glass to the blonde with a knowing look.

 

And that's when Momo puts two and two together. She might be an airhead, but sometimes her brain decides to do wonders, and tonight is one of those miracle times. The frequent calls Mina's been answering, the sudden invite for dinner - it was because of her father.

 

Momo looks up to the man before her, studying the pleased smile he has while looking at her. Then, without warning, he gives her a bow.

 

"Thank you, for taking care of our Mina!"

 

Momo almost felt her heart jumping out of her ribcage, guilt overcoming her from seeing his sincere action. She wants to scream that she's not who he thought she is, she's undeserving of his gratitude when she's actually hurting his only daughter - but she couldn't. Not when this man is giving her a hopeful look, asking a favour with a deep bow that was undeserving of her, that he's entrusting Mina to her, to care for, and to cherish - just like her parents did.

 

Seconds later, Mr Myoui raises his head while directing a smile somewhere behind Momo. He shoots her a quick look, indicating the conversation they had is just between them, and Momo understands it immediately.

 

Mina appears beside her, slipping back to her seat and Momo can't seem to keep her hands to herself. Her fingers find Mina's hand, and she grabs it, clasping it tightly while keeping her stare to the front. 

 

She just made a man-to-man promise with Mina’s father, and she will honor his request, her hand lightly squeezing the oblivious girl's hand under the table.

 

*

 

Silently, Mina lets out a relieving sigh.

 

It feels like a weight has been lifted from her shoulders when the waiter brought the receipt on their table, their dinner finally coming to an end. There was actually nothing she should be fretting about - not when her mother is currently all over Momo, giggling unabashedly to the blonde’s dry humor.

 

She catches Momo’s gaze falling on her. Mina raises an eyebrow to ask if she needs any help, but the blonde merely gives an ‘OK’ sign, before heeding the woman whining for her attention. Her mother is a light drinker - a trait that had passed down to Mina - and being the responsible woman she is, would avoid alcoholic beverages when they’re eating out on occasions like this. So it was a surprise to see her mother downing three glasses of wine tonight, which always happens when she’s feeling pleasant, or just plain happy.

 

Mina shakes her head with a fond smile, only to feel a nudge on her rib.

 

“Jealous much?” Her father smirks at her while they wait at the reception table.

 

“You’re the one who should be worried. Mama is practically head over heels for Momo.” Mina teased back, before accepting her father’s credit card from the receptionist and passing it to the chuckling man. 

 

“You‘re rather quiet tonight... I thought you’re still mad at me.” He said as he guided them out of the entrance, wanting to have some time alone with his only daughter.

 

Mina was surprised to hear it, because deep down she was indeed, a little bit angry with her father.

 

He was persistently asking her to meet a suitor - a son of an old friend of his that Mina had never met before. It started earlier this year, when Mina told her parents of the internship program that was offered to her in America. They were delighted of course, but then her father started spewing nonsense about marriage and starting a new life, it caused Mina to be dumbfounded. 

 

 

The phone call was initially intended to be a way for Mina to rant out about her worries and uncertainty of accepting the internship program to her parents - only for the vice president to be taken aback when her father took over the phone and began deviating off topic.

 

“Papa, I’m just going there for an internship, not to live there.” She said into the phone in a raised hushed voice, careful not to disturb the already asleep Sana.

 

“I know Mina, but isn’t it better if you start thinking about marriage too? It’s like killing two birds with one stone!”

 

“But I’m not ready... I haven’t even graduated from college yet!”

 

“I’m not saying now - it can be a long-term investment, Mina. I can introduce you to a friend of mine. His son just graduated from law school and is starting his own firm in Texas. We can visit him there later!”

 

Mina never intended to tell her parents about Momo - the blonde just confessed to her last week, and she’s still unsure what direction their relationship will take in the future. Moreover, she’s not sure how long they will be together. But when her father wouldn’t stop talking about the freaking law graduate becoming a potential candidate as her husband, Mina just... snapped.

 

“I’m dating someone.”

 

“-heard he graduated on top of his…- pardon?

 

Mina takes a deep breath, and repeats her sentence - firmly this time. “I’m dating someone, Papa. Her name is Hirai Momo.”

 

“Oh.” The line went silent for a second, followed by a small sigh. “That sounds… like a really japanese name.”

 

 

The phone call ended shortly after that, but a few weeks after, her father is still pushing her to meet one of the suitors, albeit discreetly. He probably thought Mina was just giving an excuse when she dropped the sudden dating news, so for the sake of her sane mind and to get him off her tail, she proposed dinner tonight.

 

A hand lands on her shoulder, and Mina is quick to flash a smile to her worried father. “I was a little angry before. I understand why you did that, Papa… but I want to lead my own life.”

 

“I know, and I’m sorry for being an of a dad to you.” He snickers, fingers pushing stray locks behind Mina’s ear. “I want the best for my only daughter.”

 

She gives him a nod, leaning on his hand resting over her cheek. “And I love you for that, Papa… so thank you.”

 

Mr Myoui caresses his daughter’s cheek, a chuckle escapes his lips when Mina whines as he playfully pinches the soft skin. Mina slides her arms around his waist, pulling his father into a hug and indluges herself in his embrace. 

 

“I’m really glad you found Momo. Your mother already approves of her, apparently.”

 

He prods Mina to watch the other two women, Momo trying her best to respond to her mother’s slurred words while escorting her to the front lobby. She gives a small bow to Mr Myoui as his wife latches to his side, and Mina takes it as her cue to slip herself beside the blonde. 

 

With practiced ease, a hand rested above Mina’s waist, pulling her closer to the blonde’s warm body. She was startled by the bold gesture - not expecting any skinship from the latter other than the hand holding they did earlier - but the soothing movement of Momo’s thumb rubbing a spot on her back slowly made her relax.

 

“We should call it a day, your mother is already whining about her sore feet.” Mr Myoui said while shooting a glance to his wife, only to receive a glare from the tipsy woman.

 

“What did you just say?” She grabs his collar, and Mina’s father is quick to grab both hands, an amused laugh escape his throat from his wife's dare-devil attitude.

 

“Yep, I better get your Mama rested before she gets crazy on me.”

 

“She’s a bit tipsy, if I may say so.” Momo deliberately whispered to the man, earning a disbelief gasp from Mrs Myoui and a giggle from Mina.

 

After sending them to the car and waving them off, Momo quickly retracts her hand, taking a step away from the unsuspecting vice president. Mina immediately misses the warmth. She glances up to Momo, the latter sheepishly rubbing her nape while averting her gaze to the cars on the road.

 

“Your parents are really nice.” Momo started, a genuine smile on her face. “I can understand why their daughter is the wonderful person she is.”

 

Mina snorts, smirking back at the grinning blonde. “Flattery will get you nowhere, Hirai.”

 

Laughter fills the noisy street, before silence envelopes the two of them standing awkwardly in front of each other. Momo was the first to move, slowly backtracking, eyes not leaving Mina’s.

 

“I’m going this way.” Her thumb points to the back. “See you at college, I guess?”

 

“Yeah.” Her voice came out as a whisper, “Thank you, for tonight.”

 

“I can’t reject good food with good company.” Momo grins, raising her thumbs up, before stopping by her car. “Drive safely, Miss Penguin!”

 

As Momo turns to her car, realization soon dawns over Mina. 

 

Even if they were just faking it tonight, even if she just lied to her parents, she didn’t feel like they did at all.

 

Not when her heart started beating a frenzy rhythm when Momo appears, all dressed up looking fine. Not when Momo makes her feel at ease just by her presence alone. Not when her father already likes the blonde, just by seeing her goofy side. Oh, let’s not start about her mother… perhaps Mina did get jealous, for a second there.

 

The gentle smile, flitting touch, loving gaze - everything she felt about Momo was real. There was nothing fake about it.

 

So she takes a deep breath, and yells the blonde’s name.

 

“Momoring!"

 

The blonde visibly leaps up in the air, before turning around to face her with a questioning look. Mina braces herself, dares herself, as she approaches the surprised Momo, stopping a few feet from her with an anxious smile.

 

“The pinky promise.” Mina breathed out, “I’ll hold on to it.”



 

 

 

 


A/N: One more chapter!!!!