Special Epilogue (?)

Of Penguin, Food, and A Certain Blonde

“We’re ready whenever you are, Jihyo-ssi.”

Her eyes closed shut instinctively, fingers wrapping over the microphone standing before her.

The murmurs from the audience slowly dissipate in the background, and Jihyo takes a deep breath. She can feel the spotlight shining solely on her behind closed eyelids, followed by thunderous claps and cheers from everyone. Her lips curl up, ready to sing the first line of her song…

Only to hear the screech of a loud voice blaring inside her headphones, popping the bubble of imagination she had.

She winced, almost hurling the earpiece to the owner of the intruding shrill voice. “Yah! That hurt my eardrum!”

Jihyo slams the imaginary microphone in the form of a bottle down on the table, shooting a glare at the grinning woman with a pair of bunny teeth.

“Oh, sorry!” She said without an ounce of guilt, “Didn’t mean to wreck your ears… just like you did earlier.”

Jihyo’s glare hardens, hands on her waist. “What was that?”

“What, what?”

The woman challenged back, but before Jihyo could lunge at her, a long sigh filled the room. They snap their head to the knocking sound on the large glass window, the sound technician shaking his head disapprovingly.

“Jihyo-ssi, Nayeon-ssi, please… we’ve been at the same verse for hours now and I have a wife to go home to.”

“Does he think he’s the only one with a wife?” Nayeon grumbles with an eye-roll, forgetting that they can hear everything inside the recording booth.

“I heard that, Nayeon-ssi.”

She hides her head behind the condenser microphone, making a face at Jihyo who hides her smile behind her palm.

“Girls, come on. You are professionals, right? This is what you’ve been dreaming of doing… am I right?”

They both look at each other, before nodding like a child being scolded.

“Then let’s work together and make today’s recording a breeze, okay?”

They made silent truce through their eyes, preparing themselves in front of their respective microphones. The technician raised his thumb, both of them nodding, and the beat of a nursery rhyme fills their headphones.

Yes, you read that right.

It feels like a far-fetched dream, but Jihyo finally gets to do what she has been dreaming of. They’re recording for a kids youtube channel, but that’s a good start for her. 

She was scouted by a recording company after doing countless song covers on youtube, being jobless for more than a year. She was gonna do the last plan, auditioning for a rundown pub when she was suddenly met with Nayeon, drinking her hearts away all by herself after a ful day at the office. In the midst of her drunken blabbering, Nayeon suggested going to a friend working in a production company.

Jihyo took it as a joke, saying out loud that the friend must have been an intern.

Oh, how wrong she was when Nayeon brought her to meet the said intern , who was actually a producer for a well-known youtube channel.

 

“He does things like Cocomelon and Baby shark, but beggars can’t be choosers… right?”

“I’m on!”

“Yeah, me too."

“Wait, what? You too, Nayeon?”

“Hey! I can sing!”

 

There’s a lot at stake with signing the contract, the most she dreaded was having to duet with Nayeon, but she can live with that… for now. They argue and make amends (a lot of times), but together, things are starting to make sense.

Jihyo can already taste the sweet air, see the stardom peeking in the horizon, and she will be under that light soon, with cheers and thunderous claps surrounding her. 

“Uh, Jihyo?”

“Yes?”

“Quit daydreaming. It’s lunch time.”

She sheepishly bows to them, following Nayeon waiting for her at the door. Then Nayeon’s phone rings, and their eyes brighten from the video call.

 

 

*

 

 

In another area, away from the city life, a girl is seen hunching over a table full of electronic devices. 

Clicking noises and lights of all colours accompany her in the slightly dimmed room, but her presence alone already managed to brighten the room with her white, fair complexion. She just finished typing a report for the predicted weekly weather, and with a press of a button, the data is successfully delivered to the main headquarters.  

She stretches her arms up, a satisfied grin on her face. But then her phone dings for an incoming chat, and her eyes widened in horror when she was greeted with a picture of pasta and a pouting cub.

"Crap, it's already this late?"

She quickly shoves her belongings and exits the weather station. She jumps on her red scooter and drives away, not forgetting to greet the guard seeping his coffee. She pulls the throttle to maximum speed, the small red scooter zooms along the vacant gravel road. Despite driving at a dangerous pace, she still manages to take in the scenery of the sky.

A smile grows on her face at the different blend of clouds covering the glaring sun, making a hue of beautiful colours to peek out from behind the clouds in rays of rainbows. 

It was out of whim when she decided to work at the weather station. She was actually offered a job as a professor in a well-known university abroad. The scholars she worked with all regarded her decision as a shame; being a science prodigy already obtaining a Master degree at such a young age, only to end up in a weather station in the suburbs. 

But for her, that was the best decision ever.

Within a few minutes, she reaches the entrance of a ranch. She expertly swerves away from a stray chicken clucking madly at her dangerous driving, towards a garage adjoining a two-story house. She takes a deep breath, attempting to sneak from the kitchen's backdoor.

Oh, what a wrong move that was.

Before her is a cub in her glory, wearing a white apron with a huge strawberry stitched on the front pocket with a spatula in her hand, arms crossed with a growl.

"Y-Yeobo, you're already awake?"

"Don't you try to yeobo your way out with me, you stinky tofu." Chaeyoung growls, "Your late breakfast is on the table."

Without a word, Dahyun scurries to the dining area, only to swallow her spit from the scary-looking pasta. She attempts to smell the dish but just with a sniff makes choked in pain.   

"Chaeyoung, you know I love you... but why does the sauce look freakishly red than normal?"

"I made it extra spicy today,” She glances over her shoulders, and Dahyun doesn’t miss the devilish dimpled smirk. “With hanabero peppers."

"M-Mwoh? But you know I can't handle spicy food, Chae?"

"And I can't wake up without you by my side, but did I question that bro?"

Dahyun gulps, because when Chaeyoung calls her bro instead of yeobo, it means she's way more upset than how a baby tiger should. So with a forced grin, she picks up the fork and shoves a mouthful of the pasta.

She swallows them with an audible gulp, a tear falling down her cheek.

"Yeobo, this is really delicious!"

"Really? I made a lot." Chaeyoung lights up, pushing another bowl towards Dahyun filled to the brim. "I'm sure you're famished since you worked the whole night and forgot to return home. Right... yeobo ?"

Dahyun’s lower lip trembles at the sight of the pasta covered with a heap of the red sauce, and she kneels before Chaeyoung.

"Bwaaaa I'm so sorry Chaeyoung-ahhh don't do this to meee!"

As if the gods above hear Dahyun's plea, the doorbell of their house rings. Chaeyoung opens the door, revealing two tall towers of a yoda and her grey-haired sister.

"Yo, Chaengie, Dahyunie!"

"Oh, I smell something good!"

Jeongyeon makes a beeline to the kitchen, her face gleaming from the sight of food and Dahyun is quick to offer the fork to her future sister-in-law.

"Can I have some?"

"Please, eat them all! Just - finish them, unnie!"

"Assa!"

"Thank you, unnie! You saved my life!"

"I know my little sister is a bit handful. So, fighting there!" Jeongyeon said as she slurps the pasta with delightful noises before pointing to the front entrance. "Oh, we're here to drop off Ari. Want to see him?" 

The couple waits expectantly behind Jeongyeon's pickup truck, craning their necks as Tzuyu takes out a pet carrier from the backseat. They can hear whimpering sounds from inside. Tzuyu opens the carrier door, her hand holding a treat to lure the dog out.

"Come here, buddy. It's okay… no one's going to hurt you anymore."

The dog steps out, sniffing at Tzuyu's hand before gobbling the treat. They let him roam around, sniffing at everyone's shoes in interest. But to Dahyun's horror, the dog stops at her feet, tilting his head curiously.

"W-What does he want?"

“He likes you, Dahyun!” Tzuyu beams up, passing Dahyun a treat to give to the expecting dog. 

She gets terrified as the small white maltese opens his mouth, the sight of his sharp fangs makes her shudder. Not wanting to sacrifice her palm for a bite, Dahyun throws the treat, making the dog leap into the air. He munches the treat excitedly, before letting out a bark to the frightened Dahyun.

“He has a healthy set of teeth, I see.” She forced a grin, her white face now blanched out.

“Don’t worry, you’ll get used to him.” Chaeyoung pats her arm, “Like how you got used to me.”

Dahyun gulps again, a strained laugh escaping her lips. 

“Oh, let’s do a video call with Nayeon-unnie! I want to show off Ari to her!” 

“Ahhh, you just want to show off my cowardice to Nayeon… Isn’t that right Chae? Isn’t it???”

“Hey, it was your idea to keep him.” Chaeyoung sits on Dahyun’s lap when the latter pats her thighs, “I think it’s really admirable of you to make that decision despite being scared of dogs.”

“Really?”

Short arms wrap around Dahyun’s neck, their noses nuzzling together.

“Really.” 

Only for their moment together to be interrupted with a loud slurping sound.

“Don’t mind us!” Jeongyeon said with a full mouth, sauce covering her lips while Tzuyu munched on a cookie she found by the cupboard. “We’re just hungry visitors, we can take care of ourselves in this house of yours!”

Dahyun went red as a tomato while Chaeyoung ignored them, her attention now on the phone in her hand. Dahyun perks up when the line is connected, showing two familiar faces of her seniors.

“Our Chaengieeee! How are you?”

“Unnie, we have another SON now! Want to see him?”

“WHAT? ANOTHER S-SON?! KIM DAHYUN, YOU’RE NOT EVEN MARRIED YET BUT YOU DARE GAVE CHAE A SON?!!”

“No, unnie - not a real son! He’s a dog!”

“A DOG...? WHAT SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENT MADE CHAEYOUNG PREGNANT WITH A DOG-LIKE SON???”

 

 

*

 

 

Tzuyu watches her two friends being roasted by Nayeon with an amused grin, helping herself to another cookie from the jar. 

“Aigoo, that wife of mine really is a drama queen.” Jeongyeon comments while passing Tzuyu a glass of milk. “I think they need me over there.”

Jeongyeon excused herself from the kitchen, bringing along the huge bowl as she waddled towards the couch. Tzuyu merely chuckles, taking her time to finish the milk and cookie in her hand.

It was a surprise for all of them when Chaeyoung suddenly announced she’s dating Dahyun last year, exactly after the latter completed her masters in UK for applied meteorology. When Tzuyu asked what secret Dahyun used to court her, she only played a voicenote; spoken in full english that was amazingly broken and doesn’t really mean anything other than I LOVE YOU MY PRETTY DDALGI STRAWBERRY BERRY BERRY PRETTY CHAEYOUNGIE YEAH DATE ME YEAH? YEAH, OKAY! AWESOME!

Tzuyu will never get the logic behind Chaeyoung’s reasoning, but they were already dating long before the official announcement, anyway. It was just a lame excuse to be used because apparently, Nayeon didn’t approve of their relationship for reasons that shouldn’t be discussed.

So they eloped escaped to the ranch that once belonged to Chaeyoung’s parents, who had gone on a one-year trip all around the world after winning a lottery. It was kind of understandable for Chaeyoung since she’s a free spirit. But to think Dahyun would follow her too is the question Tzuyu can never get the answer to.

She finishes the milk before joining them by the couch. She sees Jihyo trying to fit her face in the frame as Jeongyeon tries to pacify the fuming Nayeon. The latter’s eyes widen in recognition as she excitedly waves her small hand at the screen.

“Tzuyu-ah, what are you doing there?”

She points to the dog in Chaeyoung’s arms. “Just doing a special delivery for them.”

“Oh, the dog is from your shelter?” 

“Yes, unnie. It’s not from an illegal laboratory with weird human-dog hybrid experimentation, as per your allegation.”

“Hey, I didn’t say that! That was Dahyun’s fault!”

Dahyun gasped, “B-But...  I’m innocent?”

Jihyo made a push to stop Nayeon from hogging the screen to herself. “Won’t Sana get mad, though? Since you’re with…”

Tzuyu snorts when Jihyo wiggles her eyebrows in Jeongyeon’s direction, the oblivious woman still preoccupied with picking bits in the bowl. However, Tzuyu almost toppled over the couch when her phone suddenly rang a very well-known ringtone.

“Damn, that’s her? She got sixth sense or something?”

Tzuyu clears before answering the call, using the sweetest tone she could muster. “Yes, Sana-yah?”

There was no response for a second, and Tzuyu is dreading it.

“What’s going on? Why are you using that tone with me?”

“No reason, just wanted to.” She deliberates a laugh while the others snicker behind her. “What’s up? Why did you call?”

“Oh, I need to have a reason to call you now?”

“N-Not like that! I just… I miss you, don’t you miss me too?”

The others facepalm from Tzuyu’s failed cover up, and she feels cold-sweat already covering her forehead from Sana’s long hum.

“I’m switching to video call.”

“E-Eh? Wait, you don’t have to-”

“Don’t you miss me too, Tzuyu-yah…?”

Tzuyu lets out a long exhale through her nose, pressing the video call button in defeat. She puts the screen in front of her face, and the others jump in behind her.

“HELLO, SANA-YAA~! DO YOU MISS US TOO?”

A screeching cackle came from the screen, Sana clapping happily at the sight of everyone greeting her with the same sweet voice Tzuyu used. Tzuyu wears a smile, a flustered one, but at the same time relieved they played along with her.

“Ahhh, so you went to Chae’s house, Tzu? Oh, is that Nayeon and Jihyo? Hey there, bestie!”

“Yes.” Tzuyu changes the screen to face Chaeyoung’s phone, making them greet each other despite the lag in connection.

“Geez, and I was wondering why you sound like a guilty puppy that just broke my perfume collection.”

“She’s here to deliver Ari to us!” Chaeyoung picks up the pup towards the screen, making Sana squeal from the fluffy white maltese. 

“Aww he’s so cute! But aren’t Dahyun scared of dogs?”

“Surprisingly, it was her idea.” Tzuyu tilts her head to the cowering Dahyun taking cover behind her girlfriend. “She wants to overcome her fear of dogs… because she is living with a human cub right now.”

“Grrr... I’m not a cub, you tol yoda!”

“What about the grey dog over there?”

“Grey dog?”

“Yeah, that one over the couch. What’s its name?”

Tzuyu narrows her eyes at the screen, catching a ball of grey hair peeking out from behind them. She lets out a sheepish laugh, positioning herself to block the grey hair from Sana’s line of view.

“That’s probably Chae’s plushy.”

“I don’t suppose her name is Jeongyeon… right?”

Tzuyu feels like her soul had left her body from Sana’s fake grin, and it didn’t help that Nayeon suddenly screeched Jeongyeon’s name, and how the hell Ari’s bark sounds like YOO JEONGYEON just now??? 

Tzuyu’s fidgety fingers pull on her collar, the room suddenly getting hot, only for her heart to drop when Sana wets her lips with a slight nod; a gesture when the squirrel is jealous.

“Tzuyu.”

“Yes?”

“You. Tonight. Couch.”

“But-”

“Arasso?”

“H-Hait.”

 

 

*

 

 

There’s a lot of commotion going on Tzuyu’s back, of Dahyun waving off Ari trying to her while Chaeyoung growls at them, of Jeongyeon shouting she’s already married while raising her ring-clad finger (not sure why) and of Jihyo trying to wrestle the phone out of Nayeon’s hand. 

But Sana's attention is solely on her girlfriend now looking like a kicked puppy.

“We’re still up for the small celebration later, right?”

“Of course, I’ve already booked a reservation for three.”

She observes Tzuyu casting the others a worried glance, before whispering to the phone. “Will she be fine with this?”

“Don’t worry, I know my ways with her. You just need to come back safely and be there on time.” 

“Okay, I will.”

“I already miss you, though. Can we cuddle tonight?”

“On the couch?”

Sana pouts from the teasing tone. “I prefer the bathtub, but since you remind me of the couch...”

“B-Bathtub? What? But… Sana, y-you’re gonna get cold.”

She giggles from Tzuyu’s flustered state, “Anywhere is fine. As long as I’m with you, Chewy.”

She winks in a flirty way, and Tzuyu’s dimpled grin appeared, exactly like a puppy. They end the call moments later when chaos ensues in the house. Sana shakes her head at the last image that greeted her before the line went dead. 

She scrolls through her schedule for the rest of the day, leaning her head back on the chair with a sigh. Fortunately there’s not a lot of incidents for this week so she could get off work rather early today. 

Being a news anchor really wrecks her daily timetable for the past three years.

Thankfully she’s living with Tzuyu at the moment, their living expenses shared together because her wage is unexpectedly quite lousy to begin with. She had a hard time initially when she started at the local broadcasting company, only able to bunk in with Mina who was kind enough to offer her a place.

Sana never expressed it, but she felt awful towards her friend, knowing how Mina appreciates her own private space.

However, Sana seemed to be an open book for Tzuyu because a month later, Tzuyu suddenly dropped a bomb on her. She appeared in the middle of the night right before the flimsy door of the shared apartment, holding a ring of keys in her hand.

 

“Let’s live together, both of us.”

Sana blinked, rubbing her sleepy eyes in disbelief, before pinching Tzuyu’s cheek to confirm her existence wasn’t merely an imagination from her sleep-deprived state.

“Oww! What’s that for?”

“How - when did you get here?!”

“I just landed at the airport.” The tall woman sheepishly said, side-stepping to reveal her baggage of a small traveling suitcase. “So, are you accepting my offer or…”

Sana sinstantly plummets the taller with her body, wrapping the girl in a tight hug as she lets out a squeal. “Yes, please! I want to live with you, Tzu!”

Sana can feel Tzuyu’s tensed shoulder faltering, a breathless giggle greeting her ear. “Okay, okay… let’s go see the place first.”

With Sana still in her pajamas under a long coat, they arrived at a fully-furnished studio unit a few blocks away from her workplace. The place was nothing extravagant, but Sana can already feel warm and… content. 

She never wished to live anywhere else ever again. Especially with Tzuyu by her side now.

“You like it?”

“I love it!” She clings to Tzuyu’s arm, leaving a kiss on her dimpled cheek. “Thank you, Tzu.”

“Anything for you.”

 

Even after years, they still live there, the place serving as memories for their hardships and struggle, whether in life or love. 

It was actually funny when Sana thought back about it. 

Tzuyu had never disclosed her reason for staying back in South Korea that time, but Sana knows where to stick her nose to find out the truth, having expertise as a newbie reporter. What she found was hilarious, and Sana still cackles at the memory even to this day.

Apparently Tzuyu’s mother had chased her daughter out of their thriving family restaurant, for the sole reason that Tzuyu is too pretty to be the owner. Tzuyu decided to fly to South Korea without informing them as an act of rebellion to her family (not that they care, anyway). She bought the apartment on a whim, and everything else is history.

Surprisingly, Tzuyu fared well on her own, setting up her own chain of chinese restaurants all over Seoul for the past three years. Earlier that year, she surprised Sana again by opening up an animal shelter, a collaboration effort with Jeongyeon, the animal enthusiast of the group.

Sana wonders just how much savings Tzuyu has as of this day, but she never dared herself to ask nor use any from their shared trust fund. Instead, she used her girlfriend’s road to success as a motivation to work harder, because lately, she only has one thing on her mind. 

She slides open the drawer of her cubicle, the neat letter of resignation laid on top of the scattered papers. 

Soon, Sana… Just hold on a bit longer.

The short needle of the clock on her desk points to 6, and Sana quickly stows all belongings into her satchel. She cast a glance to the director’s room, before making a run to the staircase in case he sees her and gives another impromptu assignment. 

She can’t deal with his fussy , and they had plenty of interns to bully anyway. She’s not cruel, but that’s one of the ways to survive in this profession. 

After triumphantly escaping the hellish broadcasting company, she strides to the complex building opposite the street. The receptionist perks up at her presence, wearing a smile so wide it reaches his ears. 

“Good evening, Miss Minatozaki.”

“Is she still here?”

“Of course! Should I inform her about your arrival?”

“It’s fine.” Sana waves him off as she walks to the elevator, but not before flashing her infamous smile to the smitten boy. “Good work, by the way!”

“T-Thank you!”

Sana chuckles to herself as she steps inside the moving cubicle. Even after all these years, she still has that effect on everyone. She can already imagine the deep frown forming on Tzuyu’s face if the latter encounters the scene earlier. In fact, she might pull off a silent tantrum on Sana and ignore her for the rest of the day.

Sana lets out a sigh; she just got off from work and she already misses Tzuyu.

The elevator dings as it stops on the floor she pressed. She needs to get Tzuyu off her mind for now because someone else needs her attention. As she walks through the corridor towards the door at the end, Sana makes a mental note to spam a certain friend’s chat room tonight.

You better get me a good souvenir for this, .

 

 

*

 

 

Mina is being melancholic. 

She’s been staring out the window, staring off in the distance. She had just come back from a meeting which was fruitless on her part. Her concentration was lost, and no decision could be made with her blank mind. 

Mina sighs, deeply. 

She was being unproductive and there’s only one person to blame. She stares at the picture of them on the table, her frown mirroring the beak of a penguin. 

However, before Mina could wallow in her misery, Sana barges into her room, clad in her working attire of beige-colored suit. Another sigh escaped, despite the corner of her lips quirking up.

“Why does your workplace have to be next to mine?”

“Because we’re destined to be together, bestie!” Sana remarks good-naturedly, before pouting at Mina’s glassy eyes. “Again?”

“What?” Mina glares, only to be offered a napkin and a knowing look. “I was yawning…”

“And the moon is blue tonight. As if I know you just yesterday, Mina.”

She didn’t comment on that, merely shaking her head with a forced smile. Sana picks up Mina’s bag and sling it on her shoulder, pushing her friend’s slump back towards the door. 

“Come on, we're having sushi tonight.”

“Oh? Isn’t it the middle of the month?” Mina asked, knowing perfectly well how cheapskate her friend is without her paycheck.

“Who said I was paying?”

Mina exhales through her nose, “Tzuyu again?”

Sana puts up a peace sign before linking their arms together. “Come on, she has good news to share anyway. So live up a bit, okay?” 

“Hait, hait.”

Instead of halting a cab, they opted to walk down the street. 

Mina needs it, the crisp coldness helps numb whatever uneasiness creeping in her heart. Sana gladly fills her in on the call she had with the others earlier, Mina absentmindedly responding with a hum and a nod. It wasn’t because those things weren’t interesting for her, no, it was far from it. 

But the more Sana mentioned their circle of friends, the more Mina couldn't help missing that person who isn’t blonde anymore, sadly.

Sana lets out a squeal as she dashes forward, crashing into Tzuyu’s welcoming embrace as the latter waits for them outside the restaurant. Mina watches fondly, wishing her own arms can wrap around a familiar warmth as well.

“Mina-unnie, are you that sad to meet me?”

Mina perks up at that, seeing the younger mirroring her frown with an exaggeration. A small laughter bubbles up , followed by a soft pat on Tzuyu’s arm. She is welcomed with a hug, before they lead her inside. 

The surprising news was a good distraction for her.

Tzuyu announced she's opening another branch of her restaurant in Busan, which is a great accomplishment to celebrate. 

“It wouldn’t be a surprise for me if Tzuyu did manage to conquer the entire South Korea with her eatery chain.”

“Says the one who owns a Michelin-rated restaurant here in Incheon.” Tzuyu chides back, despite the faint blush colouring her cheeks.

“I’m only the manager-”

“At the moment.” The younger added.

“-who, only started learning the ropes for merely a few months, Tzu. I’m not in the league with other branches yet. With the pace I am now, it might take years before I can reach their standards.”

“Hey, you’re selling yourself short.” Sana chided, popping a tuna piece into . “Just getting the manager spot was already a great feat on your part, Mina. God knows the things you went through to get to where you are now.”

“I second that, as well. You can do much more than you know, Mina-unnie.”

Screw her for being emotional tonight because Mina’s eyes are suddenly pooling with tears. Sana instantly pulls her into a hug while Tzuyu offers her shoulder. She could faintly hear Sana’s grumble of cursing a certain childhood friend of hers. But it died down as Sana draws away, Mina catching the disapproving look on Tzuyu's face before it was replaced with a grin, her glass raised.

“We’re celebrating tonight so no sappy tears, okay?”

Mina clinks her drink away, hoping to drown the unwanted emotion lurking in her chest. She asks for seconds, and that’s when her phone buzzes, her bleary eyes gaining life for a second at the name on the screen.

 

 

*

 

 

The supposed to be “a certain blonde” but not anymore woman rolls her eyes at the spam messages.

She scrolls through the notification display, leaving the chat unread. That’s what Sana gets for trying to mess with her, even though she knows she deserved at least a bit of it. Oh well, a box of duty-free perfume will be enough to appease her annoying friend.

She turns her attention outside the car’s windscreen, the familiar rows of buildings bring a smile to her face. 

For three months she had been flying off one country to another, attending workshops and exhibitions under the guise of work. Being promoted as the sous chef has its perk, but she never imagined traveling as one of it. 

She loves it, of course.

But the downfall of it was being away from her home… and her love. Her heart aches just remembering the face she had to leave behind.

The cab comes to a stop and she is quick to step outside, the familiar dusty air tingles her nose in a welcoming itch. She takes in the building of her apartment, a relieved smile growing. After paying the cab, she lugs her suitcase up the few steps towards the lobby, the only stop left for that night is the door of their shared home.

Unlocking the door, she carefully steps in, their living room bright with warm light. It’s already past one in the morning, so she tiptoes warily knowing how finicky her girlfriend is with her sleep schedule. Just a little noise would wake the light sleeper.

However, her features soften as soft snoring greets her from the couch.

She wants to plunge down next to her lover, embrace her warm body in a crushing hug, kiss those enticing soft lips like her life depends on it… on her . But she decides against it, settling down ever so gently next to the sleeping body to plant a peck on her forehead.

“Tadaima, Mitang.”

“Mmm.” The twitched eyebrows and scrunched nose brings warmth to her body all over again, one she had missed for the three months she was away. “Momoring… okaeri.”

Hands slither against her neck, pulling Momo closer as chaste kiss lands on her cheek. Soft hum leaves as Mina nuzzles against her neck, inhales against her skin, her own arms wounding around lean waist to hold Mina closer.

She missed her. They missed each other… so much.

“Why are you sleeping here?”

“I was waiting for you.”

Momo lets out a soft chuckle. The text about her sudden flight from Japan was four hours ago, when the girl was having her sushi night with Sana and Tzuyu.

She still has to go to Singapore next weekend for an inspection visit. But Momo’s supervisor suddenly told her she could sit this one out, so out of impulse, Momo immediately booked a ticket home the very same day.

It was such a rush, but a welcoming one.

Adrenaline was already pumping at the thought of seeing Mina again that night, Momo couldn’t even feel the jetlags in her body. She had never been so glad to make that impulsive move, now that Mina is in her arms again.

“I’m not dreaming right now, am I?”

She chuckles again, before reaching Mina’s face, tilting her chin for a kiss. “Bet you never felt a kiss like this in your dream.”

“Hmm, I’ve had better.”

Momo feigns a gasp. “You did not just say that, miss penguin.”

The soft giggle fills the silent room, adding warmth to the already warm space enveloping them. Momo leans in, their lips meeting in a kiss more fervent, more determined, more firm to convince Mina, and more to herself - that she’s finally here, at home with her Mina.

“I miss you.”

“But I miss our bed more.” Momo pouts, only to yelp from the soft pinch on her forearm. 

“Carry me?”

Momo raises an eyebrow at that, “As much as I’d love that, you know how puny this woman of yours is.”

“Really? Even with this muscle on your arm?” 

Mina squeezes her bicep to show her point (and perhaps to flirt her as well), in which Momo only shrugs with a defeated sigh (despite the blush plain to see). 

“They’re for aesthetic purposes only, love.”

The gummy smile makes its appearance, and Momo has never grinned so wide. They could sleep there on the couch, but Mina knows Momo’s back is in dire need of a soft surface from jetlag. 

So she pulls Momo to her feet, letting out giggles as their noses bump (deliberately). They walk together to their room, with Mina clinging close to Momo’s side, not wanting to miss even an inch from each other. 

The curtains of their bedroom are still drawn open, decorating the bed with flashing rainbows from the fairy lights hanging along the streets. Momo doesn’t bother to turn on the lights, relying solely on her weak photographic memory to get them across the room.

“It’s going to be Christmas soon.” Momo comments as she peers at the street.

“I thought you wouldn’t be home.” Mina comes from behind, their bodies meshing together in a backhug.

“I can never forgive myself if you eat Dominos on Christmas eve.” Momo jokes, only to receive a nip on her neck.

“Tzuyu can cook for me.”

Momo flashes a warning glare, “You did not just say that.”

“Did I mention Tzuyu has been trying this new dumpling recipe and makes me her guinea pig?”

“Mitang…”

“I might have a liking to this dish-”

But Mina’s words turn into moan as Momo hushes her with a kiss. They part away slowly, despite Mina chasing after Momo’s lips, lightly panting.

“You really know how to push my button, Mitang.”

“You deserved it.”

“Do I deserve to kiss you all over then?”

“Only if you’re staying.” Mina draws away with a pout, “I still got weeks of annual leave this year and I don’t want to spend it alone at home.”

“But you’re usually a couch potato - ACK!” Momo hurriedly apologises from the playful pinch, “I got a month off starting today, so that’s good news!”

“Really?” Mina bounces happily, her gummy smile showing. “Are we going anywhere? Please tell me we’re going somewhere!”

Momo laughs at Mina’s eagerness.

She recalls the first trip they did. It was when Momo was still doing her internship in France, having granted a week of break for Christmas and New Year. They planned a weekend holiday in Jeju, only to have their flight cancelled due to a storm. It was devastating, but Momo's brain was never one to back down from bad luck.

Hence, trusting her second-hand car with the piplup sticker, Momo brought Mina for a drive. 

It was reckless, and they were driving to nowhere, from Seoul to London. Well, not really London, that’s just inhumane and crazy. 

But you get the drill, right? Not really, Momo, but we’ll try.

They made unplanned stops along the way, spending nights on rundown motels, snacking off on cheap ramens and food samples, laughing their off when the tire went flat and dancing to cheesy songs playing on the radio as they got stranded on the road.

It was offbeat for them, but they were never in tandem from the beginning.

Somehow, the end of year trip became a tradition for Momo and Mina, an excuse to celebrate Christmas and New year just by being their carefree, quirky self. To be free, let loose.

But this year, Momo wants it to be different. She wants it to be the most memorable, and she wants to take a step further... a bold step to the future. 

“Yeah, about that…” Momo keeps Mina at arm-length, her smile wide. “What do you think about going back to Japan?”

Mina blinks back, “I’d love to, but wasn't your last stop in Tokyo?”

“Well, that was for work.” Momo shrugs, "Not my hometown."

Mina's eyes brighten despite the dim room. It feels like a green light already, and that's all she needs. She takes a deep breath, quivering lips plain to see. 

It’s now or never, Momo.

"I think it's time." Mina tilts her head cutely from Momo's apprehension, giving their clasped hands a squeeze of encouragement. “I... want to introduce you to my grandmother.”

 

 

 

 

“Eh…?”

 

 

 

 


A/N: and... I dipped. hehe.