-9-

Picking Up the Pieces

"I appreciate your...eagerness to collaborate, but I don't believe my fashion line is a match for your girl group," Irene declared. 

"What? What do you mean?"

"My company is on a different path right that does not involve little dolled girls parading around with my clothing on them."

San E's eyes widened because he was not expecting such a high-roll attack from Irene - at least that's how he felt when she said that to him, adding more salt to the wound. "But you know that if my girls wear your clothes, your profits will increase. More customers will flock towards your shop. We all know that's how business is, getting people to buy your products to recoup the cost of making them."

"Yes, and I have never steered my company wrong thus far. Believe me, I know what I am doing."

"Are you afraid?"

Irene fixed him a cold look. "No. I have other business to attend to. My plans have already been made, and taking on a project with you and Blackpink would hinder my progress."

San E sighed heavily and stood up with resignment. "You are quite stubborn, Irene. My girls are more than little dolls on a stage."

Irene didn't say anything and there was an uncomfortable awkward silence when San E realized that the woman was not going to argue anymore. "Thank you for allowing me to discuss this with you," he was trying to maintain a calm composure. "have a good day."

Irene watched him leave her office, and then stood up to look out at the view from her office once he was gone. 

--

When Irene returned home in the early evening, her mother was making dinner in the kitchen and Wendy was helping cut some vegetables for a stew.

"Ah, welcome home, dear!" Mrs. Bae greeted her daughter warmly. "Wendy and I were just making dinner. We weren't sure what time you'd be home."

Irene stared at her mom and then Wendy, who hadn't looked up to greet her. "How'd everything go?" was all she said instead.

"Wendy is such a dear. Why don't you wash up? Dinner will be finished by then."

Irene only nodded in response and cast one more glance at the quiet girl who was now cutting up some mushrooms. 

 

Dinner felt less tense since Irene's mother was here to maintain calmness, which was probably good for Wendy. Surprisingly, she was eating the food, not finishing it, but eating more than she usually did.

After, the three of them cleaned up and washed the dishes together before Mrs. Bae left.

"Was everything really ok?" Irene asked when she went to give her farewell to her mother.

"Yes, Wendy is a sweet girl. I think she is a perfect match for you."

"What?" 

"A lot has happened to you in the past. Perhaps you can make room in your heart for a friend, dear. Your father and I won't always be here."

"Mom, what the hell? Are you ok? Is father ok?" Irene demanded.

"Of course we are. I'm just talking about the future."

"If you and dad need help, I - "

"No no. It's nothing like that. We're just fine. Besides, your brother is picking up reponsibilities." She gently pat Irene's cheek. "Be nice to Wendy. She'll pull through - both of you will."

"I...I don't know how - "

Jonghyun had pulled up to take their mother home and he still gave his sister a smile despite the treatment she gave him. 

"You can do it. See you soon," Mrs. Bae kissed Irene's cheek and hugged her tight. 

 

When Irene went back inside, Wendy was cleaning the oak table with a damp cloth. The woman took in a deep breath as she tried to take her mother's advice, but she realy didn't know how to interact with this girl. And since Irene hadn't been the nicest before, it would be really weird wouldn't it?

Irene cleared and leaned on the wall. "Was my mom nice to you?" Her voice felt awkward, especially because she was trying to not sound uptight.

"Yes."

"It's getting late. Wash up and sleep. I have plans for us tomorrow."

Wendy hung the towel in the kitchen and followed Irene to the bedroom. As usual, Irene kept watch while Wendy showered to make sure she wasn't up to anything. 

Irene, on the other hand, was deep in thought about how she was supposed to be 'nicer' to Wendy. Forgetting about the situation, she took a glance at Wendy and saw her body through the steam in the shower (the walls of the shower were fiberglass_. LUckily, WEndy's back was facing her so she did not know that Irene had taken an unintentional peek.

But damn, Wendy was scarily skinny. She was looking a little better than the first day she got here, but Irene mused that Wendy really could use a little more weight to look healthy again.

 

That night, they lay quietly in the bed together (Irene was trying to make sure Wendy did not wake to vomit in the night), and Irene stared out the window which she kept open for some fresh air.

She recalled the meeting with San E and the videos she looked up of Blackpink performing. She did not much care for them, but she was interested to see what Wendy was like back then - wasn't much long ago anyway.

Wendy had long hair, looked younger and fresher, just liek all the young girls that debuted. Irene didn't like the costume they gave her to wear for their performance, but Wendy's voice sounded the best among the other members. She didn't seem overweight at all, though the other members were a bit more fragile-looking than her. Then, Irene had seen videos and articles about Wendy gaining weight and not taking care of herself. And then, a couple weeks later, Wendy's new diet making her look better than ever before. 

THe girl looked way too skinny in her new and "improved" body. Wendy still smiled through it all, and seemed happier as well now that everyone was accepting her agian.

THen a few months later, people were speculating that Wendy wasn't looking well again and honestly, she didn't look great. Her flesh hugged her bones, and her eyes were sunken in.

The finale before Wendy's exit from the group was a million videos and articles detailing how Wendy had fallen/fainted on stage and couldn't recover to finish the show with her members.

Irene watched the video and noted that Wendy looked very unwell and sickly.

It made her sick and disgusted inside as well -how this job could make Wendy become damaged in and out.

--

The next morning, Irene too Wendy to therapy and went to wait out the hour at a coffee shop. As if being haunted by yesterday's meeting, she saw a bunch of ads with Blackpink on them on billboards, poster, everywhere!

She rolled her eyes and sipped on her iced coffee. 

Irene checked her watch and stared out the window as people came and went. The weekend meant more people would hang out in town, and possibly more traffic. So she picked up her things and drove back to the therapist office to wait out the rest of the fifteen minutes before Wendy would be finished.

--

After the appointment, Wendy rejoined Irene and they went to the shopping centre to go get some groceries from the supermarket there. There were some shops in passing, and a sunburst red guitar caught Wendy's eye. It reminded her of her trainee days, when she would play and sing covers, just steps away from reaching her dream of becoming a singer.

"You like guitars?" Irene asked.

"I used to play before..."

Irene checked the price, not that it would have mattered since she was loaded with money, and glanced at Wendy, who seemed to have a longing in her eyes. "do you want to go in and play it?"

Wendy hesitated, but did not want to overuse Irene's hospitality more than she already had. "I don't think I can play anymore."

Irene frowned and tried to think of a nice thing to say. "I'm sure it's like swimming or riding a bike, you won't forget...right?" She had never played an instrument before so she wasn't sure what she said was true.

"Maybe."

After a few more seconds, Irene took Wendy's arm because they were standing in the middle of the passage way. "We can come back another time if you want."