-10-

Picking Up the Pieces

Hey y'all, this is a shorter update. I have major writer's blcok on Book Club and all my other stories unfortunately. Also, I shouldn't be writing at like 3am, I have an important meeting in the morning help ololololol.

Just a current character run down:

BP members: Jennie, Lisa, Chaeyoung, (Wendy - exmember)

Jisoo is Irene's secretary and Jennie's cousin (revealed in this chapter).

I keep writing Jennie whenever I think Jisoo, but I fixed that.

 

I don't know when I will update next.

Thank you for your comments and support! It's been fun.

--

"Wendy, stamp these for me. Right here." Irene pointed out the spot for Wendy to stamp the company logo on the envelopes that were to be sent out. She slipped over the ink pad and company stamp for Wendy to use. "When you're done, eat something." 

Irene had a fridge to store food and a lot of beer. 

Wendy completed her task fairly quickly since there were only a few pieces of mail, and she placed them back on Irene's desk before going to the fridge to get a yogurt for herself. But then she also remembered that Irene hadn't had anything to eat all day except for the coffee Wendy made in the morning. Strange, seeing as the woman never drank coffee Wendy made for her.

There wasn't much of anything in the fridge other than the beer and yogurt so Wendy took another yogurt and tentatively placed it on Irene's desk.

The older woman eyed it and met Wendy's gaze. "What's this?"

"You should eat...too."

Irene turned back to her work on the desktop. "Not now."

Just then, they heard three raps against the door, and Irene quickly got up to let in whoever was on the other side.

"Miss Irene, I brought the paperwork you suggested."

"Thank you, Jisoo."

"Also, someone is here to see you - the founder of the annual Seoul Fashion festival."

Irene rose an eyebrow. She was aware of that festival, and it seemed to be a place for the most presitgious fashion brands. What could they possbily want with hers? while not being on the same line as Gucci and Armani and what not, Irene have an international brand that was top quality and affordable.

"Greetings, Miss Bae." The founder, Donghae, who was dressed in a very edgy tux style stood forward. "I apologize for not giving you sooner notice. I just happened to be back from my international meeting and I wanted to drop by to congratulate you on a well run fashion line."

Irene thanked him and ekpt a neutral expression as he continued to butter her up. 

"I'm holding a new first spring festival to celebrate some independent and newer fashion brands. Would you agree to show up? I hear you have a very loyal following and very positive reviews. We can discuss this further if you have the time?"

Irene checked her watch. "Ten minutes."

"Perfect! I really think you will like the idea..." his voice diminished as he and Irene walked to an empty room across the way.

This left Irene's office door open and Wendy alone with two yogurts in hand.

The girl panicked a little because she had never been alone when the door was open, and especially not with someone standing there staring holes into her head.

"You're friend with Irene?" Jisoo said.

Wendy stared at her, mute with uneasiness. The only thing that was keeping her on the line was the fact that Jisoo had not yet crossed the threshold.

"Has she employed you?" Irene's secreatary pressed further.

"..."

Jisoo tilted her head and took one step in. The movement and the feeling of this safe place being invaded caused Wendy to drop her yogurt, and it splattered all over Irene's clean kept carpet.

"..." Wendy cursed under her breath at teh mess she made.

"You look like that idol. Wendy. From Blackpink?" Jisoo posed it as a question. "My cousin, Jennie, is the leader. Do you know her?"

"N...no. I don't know any of them."

"I see...Wendy does have a beautiful voice. It's a shame that she was dropped from the group."

"Yes, it is a shame." Irene had returned and was now leaning against the doorway with her arms crossed. "I don't believe I gave you permission to enter my office, Jisoo."

The secretary now looked uncomfortable and began to apologize immediately for disobeying her boss.

"Don't talk to Seungwan again," Irene added. "And especially not on things that are unrelated to work, Jisoo."

"Yes, Miss Irene. I am so sorry." Jisoo quickly took her leave.

Irene watched her with eyes like a hawk before loudly shutting the door. She cursed under her breath for not being more careful before walking away. 

"I..I'm sorry," Wendy stammered while staring at the floor.

"For what?"

"I dropped my yogurt on the floor."

Irene walked over to inspect the damage on the carpet to find Wendy's lunch splattered all over. By now, it was setting in and there would definitely be stains left. 

The younger girl expected Irene to bark and demand that she clean it up with what meager cleaning supplies the janirotial closet held, but that did not happen. 

"I'll call someone to clean it for me," Irene replied calmly and sat down at her desk to read more emails and documents. "Pick up what you can. They'll deal with the rest."  

 

"What did Jisoo say to you?" Irene said once they returned home for the evening.

"Nothing important."

"Steer clear of her. I don't want her talking to you."

"She walked in by herself."

Irene took in a breath. "I know. It was my mistake."

--

Wendy was feeling very conflicted for this past week ever since Irene's mother came to watch over her while Irene was out doing business. Somethign must have happened because Irene was acting very strange.

And by strange, more gentle than usual. And Irene wasn't bossing her around as much either.

Also, Irene was actually talking to her like a real person.

Yep. Really strange.

Wendy wasn't used to Irene's not-so-tense-and-angry voice, and sort of missed the usual bossiness because it felt uncomfortable. She wondered if it was just a temporary act until Irene would lose her temper again.

Today, she was doing the laundry and clearing out the walk-in of some old clothes that Irene claimed not to need anymore. "We'll put your stuff in here," Irene declared.

Speaking of that, Wendy's two month stay was nearing its end in another two weeks, and she was panicking a little because she had hardly made progress in therapy and didn't have any means of income right now. She wouldn't be able to afford living in Seoul, or in any of the major cities for that matter. 

Can I go home? She wasn't sure if her parents would accept her back since they had warned her about the instability of being a celebrity and were disapproving of her deciison in the first place.

I might just be a homeless nomad...She began to imagine life as a homeless person and wondered where she would sleep and how long she would last before the reaper came to get her.

The girl stepped out of the laundry room and rejoined Irene, who was actually making lunch in the kitchen. THe kitchen seemed to be more in use these days, and apparently Irene did know how to make a wholesome meal or two.

Irene still gave Wendy yogurt with whatever little meal she added for the girl to try to eat. This time it was a little steamed rice with a little sauce and bits of chicken, which she actually used to like.

"Try to finish it. If you can," Irene said when they were seated for lunch. She pushed a glass of water towards Wendy as well. "And drink a little more water."