-5-

Picking Up the Pieces

Irene had just come back from taking Wendy to therapy when she spotted Jonghyun's black car parked by the fountain. She frowned and exited her car to inquire about his loitering on her property.

"Sis, please calm down. I'm just brining you the money to pay for Wendy's therapy sessions."

"I don't want it."

"What? Last time you agreed I would pay for it."

"I don't need your money. I'm filthy rich." Joohyun waved him off. 

"Then waht the hell was our argument for?" Jonghyun demanded. 

"Honestly, Jonghyun, why do you keep thikning you have to play hero?" Irene sneered. "Are you trying to find a girlfriend like that?"

"No, of course not. I don't do that to everyone I find! Besides, I don't think we should leave people if we can help them."

"You're not helping her. I am," Irene retorted.

"I found her - "

"So what? She's in my home now, and whatever's in my home belongs to me." 

Jonghyun was genuinely confused. He didn't know how to respond or waht to say to his sister. She kept saying one thing and then another - contradicting herself every time.

"Irene...why do you get ... like this?" he asked warily. "I mean...I understand the situation, but if you really don't want Wendy there, I can help her get an apartment or a cheap studio."

"Who's going to make sure she's keeping up with therapy?"

"See what I mean? You're acting like you care about her now!"

Irene stared at him expresionlessly but did not respond, leaving Jonghyun standing in an awkward and tense silence.

"I did a lot of thinking," Irene continued. "I'll make use of her, just like you suggested." 

Jonghyun didn't like the way tht sounded, but he also knew his sister wasn't an unethical inhumane tyrant killer. "I just hope you know what you're doing."

"Oh, I do. Now you can mind your own business and get off my property before I call the police. Also, don't bother running my errands for me anymore."

Jonghyun could only agree to his sister's demands because he didn't want to risk more arguing. Their relationship was rocky ever since Irene battled to become CEO of her company. Irene was a minefield a hundred percent of teh time, and he could only imagine what Wendy may have to go through if Irene treated her the same way as him.

"Let me know if you need anything," he told her as usual before leaving.

"No."

--

Wendy was terrified of therapy. They kept saying something wasn't right with her way of life and the way she was mentally processing everything. Ok, well they didn't say it like that because they were trained professionals and trying to get her comfortable as they woudl be having lots of one on one time weekly.

But Wendy knew why she was here, and she didn't want to think there was anything more wrong with her.

Then, she remembered Irene's lecture from the other night and she tried her best to engage and look like she was trying. As the session continued, her mind wandered off wondering if it was even worth it to try to please Irene. All that woman ever did was be mean and make her slave away. 

 

At the end of the session, Wendy stepped out of teh office with a folder holding "homework" and new diet instructions from the dietician. 

Much to her dismay, Irene's familiar black car was parked in the front. The woman was talking on her phone behind the wheel, leaning on it like a cool person in her sunglasses and suit. She must have just come from work or something...

"Took you long enough," Irene remarked. "You're ten minutes late."

"They were giving me instructions."

"I'm late for my meeting."

"...sorry..."

Irene began to drive and Wendy could only clutch the folder like a life line because she was afraid of the silecne in this enclosed space. 

 

They arrived at a very high tech looking corporate building. A large fountain sat at a very clean front courtyard with a cleanly sculpted hedgerow. 

Irene barked at Wendy to hurry up and the younger girl picked up her pace behind the woman up the stairs. Surprisingly, Irene had great agility walking in heels.

The inside of the building was as nice as Wendy expected since it seemed that the company was quite accomplished monetarily. The elevator was transparent so you could look out at the view on the higher floors.

However, Irene did not take the elevator and they continued down a hallway. Various people in the company bowed to Irene like she was the Queen and Wendy anziously followed the woman like a lost puppy. Some that might be of higher authority shared their sympathy over the death of IRene's daughter. People stared at them - at her, and she kept her eyes trained on the floor and Irene's heels. 

She hadn't realized Irene stopped and she crashed into the woman, who said nothing about it. Instead, the business woman swiped her card to grant access to her office. 

"Sit here." Irene pointed to the chair at the desk. "You can put that folder here." 

Wendy placed her folder on the desk next to a black leather notebook. 

"I'll be back in an hour. Don't move." Irene gathered her things in her arms without even checking because she is so accustomed to everything in her office. She gave Wendy one last sharp look and then exited the door with a punctual click.

The younger girl was left to her own devices with nothing to do. She supposed she could look over the instructions from therapy today, but she didn't want to do the things because she didn't want to admit that she had a problem. As she leaned back in Irene's very comfortable desk chair, she realized that her folder was missing.

Irene took everything from the desk with her ot the meeting.

Wendy would have not cared, but she also didn't want to displease her therapist by losing her notes and the dietician's time to make a meal plan for her.

But Irene also told her not to move, so she couldn't just run out after her. Also, Wendy would surely get lost here.

--

"I apologize for the last minute change of plans," Irene said when the meeting started. "There was some personal business that was of high importance. Let us get started. We have many things to discuss for the new season."

Her business analyst and secretary went over some of the trends over the year and the possible financial gains and losses predicted in the future. 

After others gave input, they inquired for Irene's words as she was the leader.

She pulled out her folder, preparing to share what she was plannign to do - whether or not they agreed with her - but instead, she pulled out a blue folder that wasn't familiar. Irene was caught off guard. It had Wendy's name on it and she quickly slid it back under her notebook and pulled out her appropriate leather folder.

"Keep things the way they are," Irene said. "I want everyone to have affordable quality clothing."

"But Miss Irene, our financial output weighs more than what we get back."

"This is what we have been doing for the last few eyars since I became the CEO. We have been fortunate to be one of the top fashion businesses internationally. Do you think I would steer you wrong?"

"N-no ma'am..."

"The meeting is finished."

 

As everyone exited, Irene's secretary, who was to her left had noticed Wendy's blue folder and waited for the rest ot leave before inquiring about the mysterious article file. 

"Miss Irene, I couldn't help ubt notice the name on the folder. Is it by chance the idol?"

"No."

"Oh...I see."

"Do not pry into my personal life. I've heard about enough from everyone about my daughter's death." Irene picked up her things and walked away. "Thank you for your hardwork. Have a nice day."

While Irene walked back to her office, she inspected Wendy's folder and thumbed through the contents. A lot of it had to do with health and some exercises that had to do with practicing a healthy mindset. 

When she entered her office, Wendy sat with a blank look on her face, simply staring at nothing. 

"You lost this," Irene said gruffly, handing the folder back to the girl. "Be more careful next time. this is important paperwork isn't it?"

Wendy took it back and nodded quietly without meeting Irene's eyes. 

"You almost cost me my reputation, Wendy. If someone finds out I'm taking care of a homeless ex-idol, they're gonna be expecting me to pity every single one of them. You should know, I have no heard except for my daughter."

"..."

"Hurry up. We're leaving now."

--

Once home, Irene made Wendy eat a greek yogurt and some other little healthy things that sounded oddly liek the items in her folder. Because she feared Irene's wrath, she forced every painful mouthful, assuring herself she could release it once dinner was over.

But when it came time to shower, Irene practically plopped herself in the bathroom and crossed her arms expectantly.

"Get washed up. I need to shower too," Irene growled.

Wendy shot her a nervous glance and stripped while the water warmed. The type of luxuious bathroom Irene had had no curtains. Only transparent fiberglass walls and door to keep the water from spilling out. It fogged up a bit from the hieat, but someone could still get a good view of Wendy's body.

She washed up quickly to get out of this uneasy situation faster, and when she glanced at where Irene was, the woman was facing away from her.

She heaved a sigh of relief and continued soaping up, trying to do it fast so Irene could shower too.

When it came time for Irene to shower, Wendy was forced to stay in the bathroom with the woman. Wendy stared at the wall while Irene washed for a good leisurely time. The silence was awkward, especially whne Irene slipped into her pajamas for the night. 

It took all of Wendy's might to resist the urge to vomit up her food. 

Irene is torturing me.

 

That night, getting ready for bed, Wendy spread out her sleeping bag and blankets on the floor in the walk in closet. She was settling down wondering how she could get rid of the itch on her back - to vomit since hse hadn't had a chance to - until Irene yanked the door open to stare her down as usual.

"Don't leave this closet," Irene commanded. "not until I wake up."

Wihtout waiting for an answer, she shut the door quietly, surprisigly, and Wendy was left in the darkness. It was so quiet that she could hear Irene sigh as she climbed into bed. SHe felt like Harry Potter, who had been confined to the little room under the stairs in the mean in-law's house.

Wendy managed to sleep a little bit, but on the brink of falling asleep, she awoke. She needed to do it. 

She listened intently for any sounds that Irene might be awake, and then she took a chance to quietly open the door of the walk-in. Her eyes accustomed to teh darkness, she saw that Irene was deeply asleep and she crept out of the room to another bathroom in the other room. It would make too much noise in the bedroom bathroom so that's why she opted for that decision.

Shoudl be quick. Just a pop out and back in.

Wendy vomited and she realized flushing wasn't that quiet, but she didn't have much of a choice. Besides, if IRene was such a busy businesswoman she woudl be too tired to wake up to this noise. So Wendy took that chance.

Unfortunately, upon returning back to the room, Irene was standing at the doorway. Wendy was still tired and was sure that IRene wuoldn't have woken up so she actually crashed into the woman.

It was a very rude awakening, and she could only stare in horror at the woman standing before her, arms crossed and probably not very impressed.

"You disobeyed me."

"..."

Irene grabbed Wendy's wrist and plopped her into the bed rather than shove her into the walk-in. "Get in, don't move, and don't make a sound. I have to be up early tomorrow and you've already disrupted my sleep."

"S-sorry..."

"Quiet."

Wendy did not sleep well at all. She was stiff as a log and with hardly a wink of sleep, she was asleep on her feet when Irene barked at her to wake the hell up and get changed.

"Since you have nothing better to do, you'll be doing the grunt work I usually give to my employees."

Shredding old papers and organizing stacks and stacks of other paperwork.

--

hey y'all, it's been busy but here's another update. Thanks for all your support!