Chapter four

THE HEIRS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 4

The event was lively just as it had been in previous years. At the moment, they were in a large, golden ball room of a classy setting as it was the after party of the fashion show. The fashion show was what was to be expected of any Miyawaki event- the clothes were bright and trendy, and the atmosphere was energetic and uplifting. Right after the show, the heirs headed back to their hotel suites to change into more elegant clothes. After all, the grand ball was where they would be meeting all of their new connections. They changed into flattering long dresses, each heir wearing the staple color of their family’s company. Chaewon wore a mint green ball gown, Wonyoung a deep pink gown, Minju a white gown, Sakura a light pink gown, Yena a yellow, and Yujin a blue.

 

They were told to enter the ball specifically ten minutes after it started, in order to make a grand entrance. Minju peered around the wall through which they were supposed to enter, and saw a sea of people below. The entrance is the most important part of the night; it’s a statement- they’re the image of each of their companies.These six girls descending the red, velvet staircase would one day be the owners of Korea’s most powerful businesses. None of them were nervous, for they have been doing this since they were little; all of the etiquette classes, and the classes in which they were taught how to skilfully negotiate deals. All of them were fine, apart from one. 

 

They were now standing in a line at the top of the golden staircase, waiting for their cue to walk down. Their positioning was so that Wonyoung and Chaewon were in the middle, with Yena and Sakura next to Chae, and Yujin and Minju next to Wonyoung. Of course, Chaewon and Wonyoung had the most confidence in these matters. They definitely looked the part- the intimidating yet attractive stare in their eyes as they scanned those beneath them, along with their lifted chins and confident posture- they looked like a couple to be reckoned with.

 

It was too late to admit it, but Yujin was internally panicking. She hasn’t done this sort of thing before, and her shifting eyes and tapping feet was something that didn’t go unnoticed by Wonyoung.

 

“Unnie,” Wonyoung whispered, still looking strongly ahead. She carefully slid her fingers into Yujin’s hand. “Don’t panic. Just look straight ahead. Think that you’re better than all of them.”

 

Yujin took a deep breath in and directed her gaze to the front. However, her eyes flickered down again when she felt Wonyoung retract her hand. Wonyoung took hold of Chaewon’s hand instead, and they walked down the staircase together. She pushed away the sharp pang in her heart and reached for Minju’s hand, a slight lump forming in as they took their first step down.

 

All eyes were focused on them. Everyone in the room was in their smartest attire, gazing up at the heirs who were currently descending the staircase. Whispers sounded from the crowd below; comments praising their professionalism at such a young age. If anything, Wonyoung and Chae already looked like royalty- a royal couple attending a royal ball. The onlookers had to do a double take on them when they saw how compelling they were together. 

 

Finally, Mr Miyawaki greeted the heirs when they reached the bottom of the stairs. He linked Sakura’s arm and held up a toast, “to the heirs of Miyawaki Fashion, Kim Group, Jang Corporations, Kim Technologies, Choi Buis and Ahn Group.”

 

The crowd became lively in an instant, raising their wine glasses and cheering for the young successors. When the music started playing, everyone dispersed away and began the time for socializing.

 

---------------------------------

 

The event was loud and busy- the lights had been lowered to give a more evening-like setting. Wonyoung was currently standing by the wall towards the back of the room, looking like she was trying to hide behind a large pillar.

 

“What’s a pretty girl like you doing here alone?” Yujin smirked as she jumped to Wonyoung’s side.

 

“Ya, we’re in public,” Wonyoung swiftly elbowed Yujin’s side as she elegantly smiled and bowed to the people who were walking past them. 

 

“What were you doing just now?” Yujin chuckled.

 

“These heels are killing me, I don’t think I can stand it for much longer.”

 

“Want me to carry you?” Yujin slyly offered.

 

The response she received was another sharp elbow to the side. It was more amusing mainly because of the fact they were currently acting all nice to the passerbyers, despite the secret aggression occurring between the two. 

 

--

 

Once again, Minju found herself beside the drinks table. She’d been putting on her act all night, so now she just needs a release. So far, she’s managed to snag a deal with a few small businesses, meaning that a few million extra dollars should be added to her bank account over the next few months. She could’ve definitely negotiated a much higher deal, but she's not really in her right mindset right now.

 

Suddenly, she became distracted when she heard an all too familiar laughter. Chaewon’s. Again, the girl was surrounded by a large group of people with beaming smiles on their faces. Chaewon just had that impact on everyone. Her charm never fails to impress- Minju is pretty sure that she could sell the most ridiculous object ever and still get thousands of purchases due to how good her social skills are. It would be a lie to say that Minju wasn’t jealous of it, though. Ever since their agreement to stay away from each other in public, (to ensure that they didn’t accidentally slip up in front of the cameras), Minju hated seeing Chaewon interact with other people. This wasn’t because Minju was a manipulative person, it was simply because she hated the way that other people looked at Chaewon. And how Chaewon didn’t even seem to notice the loving gazes that were on her. 

 

It was hard for Minju to look at Chaewon interacting with others, because she herself is unable to even talk to her in public. Not to mention how hopeless Minju feels when she sees Chaewon all happy with other people. Maybe Chaewon is just better off without her. Nothin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter