Chapter 2

THE HEIRS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2

 

After a few hours, lunchtime had rolled around. The heirs were always allowed out of class ten minutes early so that they wouldn’t get caught up in the bustling crowd of students. To say that the cafeteria was satisfactory was a complete understatement- it had a sort of dim atmosphere to it, with a large buffet table at the front of the room which extended a distance. There was a range of seating, including picnic benches and modern yellow tables; the ambience topped off by glowing, honey colored circled panels on the ceiling. 

 

Yena and Yujin arrived first, with Yujin excitedly chirping about the decoration of the room. The heirs occupied the middle table at the back, which had their names engraved in their respective seats. Yujin took notice of the gold, italic engravings of Chaewon and Wonyoung’s chairs, which stood out brighter than the simplistic carved out ones of the others. To be expected, though, of the Chairman’s daughter and her fiancee. 

 

“Unnie, where are you going?” Yujin asked when Yena stood up from her chair.

 

“I’m going to get Yuri from class,” she whispered. “Technically we’re not supposed to have non-heirs on our table due to Chairman Kim’s regulations but I say otherwise,” she chuckled.

 

“Ah, okay,” Yujin laughed back.

 

A few minutes after Yena had left, the cafeteria was still empty. She assumed that the others’ classes just overran. Then, she tensed when she saw who came in next. She tried to look as chill as possible, taking an oddly long sip from her coffee to distract from her awkward expression. 

 

Wonyoung walked over to the table, with a seemingly unbothered look on her face, simply placing her tray down and taking her seat. Yujin still acted as though she was drinking her coffee, but really, she was just trying to stall while thinking of conversation starters. 

 

“So, Kim Technologies, huh?” Wonyoung said while unpacking her tray.

 

“Oh, yeah,” Yujin nervously chuckled.

 

“Your family must’ve risen quickly,” she observed. “You know, for you to be engaged to Kim Tech. Your family weren’t doing that well last year.”
 

“Well, my father’s shares increased by 20% a few months ago, so-”
 

“So now you’re on the same level as me,” Wonyoung said matter of factly, twisting the lid on her water bottle.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter