VIII: Do We Face Our Own Demons?

Shin High School of Gods

 

“This will be the age of cruel winds,

the age of people who become as wolves,

who prey upon each other,

who are no better than wild beasts.”

Neil Gaiman, Norse Mythology

 

 

 

The next time he finally found time for himself, Sungmin was tending on an azalea plantlet that had managed to fall out of its place. He was more than thankful that the school administrators allowed him to take care of the plants in the academy’s garden. Maybe his status as a Special God had something to do with this leniency towards him, but either way, he was appreciative.

 

It had been drizzling continuously for the last two weeks and he figured he could spend his free time with his precious flowers and plants. He was aware that planting was a hard chore to do alone, but the calming effect it had on him was rewarding enough, so he didn’t mind that much.

 

Everything had been too much for the class of Special Gods and Sungmin felt useless for not knowing how to help as much as he could. He knew every single day was terrifying for his dear roommate, Donghae, that every sleeping moment was appallingly difficult for the younger.

 

“What if today’s my last day, hyung? What if Hyukjae decided I’m no longer worthy of living?”

 

Every question from the innocent God was like a stab in Sungmin’s heart. He tried his hardest to assure him that everything will be fine and that Hyukjae would not just kill him without an ounce of reasoning, but his assurances weren’t always successful. One thing he couldn’t tell the younger though was that Sungmin, along with the other Special Gods, noticed something different about the mischievous God. Something akin to opposing his natural mischievousness, wickedness, and ingenuity.

 

Hyukjae seemed...tame these days if that was even the appropriate term.

 

Sungmin was just finishing removing the weeds on the pearl bushes when he felt something light hit the back of his head. He turned around and glared when he saw an approaching God of Disaster. No, actually! He was just kidding, but not so much.

 

“What do you want, Cho? I’m busy here. Find someone else that has time to entertain your brattiness,” Sungmin whined, turning his back against the younger God’s smirking face.

 

He initially thought Kyuhyun would finally leave him alone but he felt things hitting his head, some hitting his back, as small pebbles started appearing all around him.

 

“Play with me, Minnie! I’m bored!”

 

Sungmin felt Kyuhyun plopped down beside him. He was about to warn the younger God that he might get his cloak dirty because of the fresh soil, but he just shut his mouth. The God of War deserved it anyway.

 

“Why won’t you talk to me, Minnie? The heck’s wrong with you today?”

 

As usual, he brushed Kyuhyun off as he tried to focus on finishing his task for today. Key word being tried.

 

“Have you talked to Donghae lately?” He asked the younger God, briefly meeting his eyes.

 

As his hands expertly darted in and out of the thorny bushes, Sungmin saw Kyuhyun plucked one stem of pink azalea on the adjacent bush. He was about to nag and confront the younger when he felt a flower being inserted near his right ear.

 

“You look pretty like this,” the God of War whispered, eyes boring holes into his own.

 

Sungmin’s cheeks grew hotter and his heart stammering faster than normal.

 

He avoided Kyuhyun’s eyes, “Very brave, Cho. Really brave.” Sungmin chewed his bottom lip worriedly as he darted his eyes around, trying to see if anyone caught them in the act.

 

The taller God chuckled, “Calm down! I made sure to close the gate so no one could come in.” That earned the latter a soft slap on the shoulder by the God of Nature.

 

“Idiot! The last time you told me that, Donghae and Hyukjae almost walked in on us making out.”

 

“I still found that weird though. Since when did those two become so close? Don’t tell me Hyukjae decided to be nice to Donghae before killing him?” Kyuhyun remarked, tightening his hold on Sungmin’s right hand.

 

“Trust me, Kyu, I freaking have no idea what’s happening and what’s going to happen right now. I’m just as confused as you are.”

 

The two of them fell into a deep silence as the God of Nature’s garden suddenly felt colder.

 

 

 

 

Carving figures on wood were always something Yesung enjoyed and found comfort in, whether it was an academic requirement, or just for recreational commitments during their free time.

 

He had started this certain hobby of his at the young age of eight and he was quickly branded as a prodigy when it comes to art especially sculpting and crafty chiseling.

 

However, this hobby left his father feeling disappointed more than ever. Art had always been a big distraction in the eyes and words of his father, and as much as he loved carving woods, it left too many painful criticisms coming from someone he looked up to.

 

 

“Eomma, why does Appa hate my gifts to him?” Ten-year-old Yesung asked sullenly one day after his father threw a small wooden figurine he had meticulously carved for almost two weeks. It was a small representation of his admiration towards his father as its design showcased Hoenir, the original God of Silence himself.

 

His mother offered him a small smile, “Your father doesn’t hate your gifts, Yesung. In fact, he loves them so much but your father also wants you to focus on other things, not just arts.”

 

“Other things like?”

 

“Fighting and weaponry, perhaps.”

 

 

A great portion of Shin High School of Gods feared him for his unbelievable fighting skills and extreme skills and techniques that will bring his opponent down in just a few seconds. In fact, he came close to Kangin, Kyuhyun, and Hyukjae when it comes to combats and battles. He just really didn’t a single damn that’s why those three always beat him.

 

But despite all his knowledge, skills, and tactics in battles, his heart would always come back to arts, especially sculpting.

 

And that would never change! Even up to the moment he dies.

 

 

 

 

Despite the God of Mischief’s stubbornness and tomfoolery, the God of Knowledge could not really ignore his hyung for a long time. Despite the older’s words that truly hurt him and stab his heart back at the locker room, he knew he couldn’t really NOT help the older find out the sender of those cryptic riddles.

 

Ryeowook squinted his eyes at all the letters he borrowed from Hyukjae.

 

Roses are red

Violets are blue

The untainted will meet his doom

And only the red can save the blue

 

This letter started all the confusion, but he had managed to decode them in no time. It was about the God of Innocence’s impending extermination that will be caused by the recipient of the letter, God of Mischief himself. But the message also talked about how Hyukjae could save Donghae, and how only he could do that.

 

Roses are red

Violets are blue

The poor soul had accepted his fate

Now the question is: have you?

 

Hyukjae told him he received the second letter the day Ryeowook got angry at him and left him in the locker room. He argued that the older deserved that anyway.

 

This second letter muddled him at first, but he had managed to understand it in lesser time than the first one. It helped that he talked with the God of Innocence the following day when they walked around the school grounds.

 

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I saw what you did there, Lee

Are you now with us too?

 

The last letter that Hyukjae received took place the day they had their weekly assessment for their combat class.

 

Despite the vagueness of all the riddles, the God of Knowledge was sure of one thing. And that is, whoever was behind these riddles, he wanted to protect the innocent God that he was willing to go to great lengths even as great as rewriting history. He wasn’t entirely sure if it was feasible, but the real question was: Who was the person or God behind this bold move?

 

Hyukjae narrated to him what happened that day when someone gave the third letter to him. That crossed out the possibility that it might be Leif—the grumpy dwarf (Hyukjae’s words not his) residing on the swamp near the school grounds—that somehow grew closer to Donghae.

 

As he reread the riddles one after another, there was a lingering feeling at the back of his mind saying that the sender was someone from their class. With this new thought in mind, he tried to remember who left the mini arena during the weekly assessment and who stayed. That way he could narrow down the names of who went outside and go on from there.

 

If he recalled it correctly, Hyukjae obviously left after his suspiciously “easy” battle with Donghae. And given the situation, it would be pretty impossible for him to send the letters to himself. Not to mention that the motive wasn’t there.

 

A possible candidate would be Donghae’s roommate, the God of Nature himself. Sungmin went with the latter to accompany him to the infirmary so it might have been him who have been sending the letters all along. Sungmin had always been a sympathetic person despite Njoror’s brashness.

 

Another possible candidate would be the couple, Heechul and Hangeng. Ryeowook had been suspicious of them since the very beginning. Not that he believed they would do something terrifying that would harm the class, but rather, they seemed extremely secretive. The two just wouldn’t let anyone in, except Donghae, of course. And if he wasn’t mistaken, they also left the arena with the excuse of checking up on the God of Innocence.

 

On the other hand, it could also be Yesung, the God of Silence. He left the arena for approximately fifteen minutes maximum with the excuse of going to the comfort room. What was suspicious about this is the fact that there is a functioning comfort room inside the arena and fifteen minutes were more than enough time to execute whatever he was planning OR if ever he was planning anything.

 

Who else? Who else?

 

Ah! The oldest Special God, Leeteuk, also left the arena to get something from the cafeteria. If ever he did get something to eat which Ryeowook couldn’t entirely remember, then his name would be crossed out. However, nothing’s for sure yet.

 

 

Ryeowook tried writing and crossing out names on a piece of paper and that went on for two hours. He was sure he was going nowhere when he caught sight of the insignia stamped on each paper.

 

Silver roof with gold pillars

 

That’s right! That insignia could be his key. Ryeowook immediately grabbed an old, worn-out book he inherited from his grandfather that contained a wide history of all the Gods from the most powerful Norse bloodlines.

 

Ryeowook sighed, “Looks like I have to read everything. Fine.”

 

 

He was halfway through the book and Ryeowook was so close to giving up. There were still no signs of the silver roof with gold pillars insignia or at least a writing that could help him.

 

He was SO close to giving up when he came across an illustration of what appeared like a hall. Since the book is in black and white, he focused his attention on the caption.

 

“All who enter leave with their disputes settled. Glitnir, a radiant palace with golden pillars and a silver roof...”

 

Ryeowook traced the possessor of the palace and a wide smile made its way on his face.

 

Quoting the word from one of his books, “Eureka!”

 

And the God of Knowledge went back to the names he had listed and encircled that one particular name.